• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Batmobile the worst AAA gameplay mechanic in recent memory?

Zakalwe

Banned
I dunno, im always woobling left and right smashing into everything. I found that letting go of the left thumbstick when going it straight lines helps a bit.

As I said in my edit, I can burn around the city at too speed without bashing into stuff if I want to. I bash into stuff because it's incredibly fun and often helps with shortcuts and efficient racing lines.

If it's possible for one person to control it well it's possible for you. :p

Really? Jesus ill have to check that tonight. What does it do?

Makes tank mode a toggle so you don't have to hold it.

Moves break and Vulcan gun to R2.

Should have been default, imo.

Wow. The ENTIRE game is a batmobile fetch quest.....funny how IGN gets called out for hyperbole all the time from GAF. Some people here are just as bad.

Zakalwe

Banned
It should also be noted that the toggle battle mode option doesn't appear until you complete the first Riddler challenge.

Which is really dumb. They should have had the game tell you the control options, maybe even Alfred saying "Master Bruce, make sure you check the revised control schemes that Lucius has added to the Batmobile's systems, you may find them more to your liking".

Wow. The ENTIRE game is a batmobile fetch quest.....funny how IGN gets called out for hyperbole all the time from GAF. Some people here are just as bad.

Not as funny as when people refer to Gaf like it's a single person.

Those are different contexts, just like carrying a grapnel gun and a Luger pistol are different.

It barely has roots in the history of Batman. You can contrive a way to include it, but it's a contrivance. The pursuit-mode Batmobile, however, isn't. But you hear people defend the entire Batmobile because it's part of Batman's arsenal in the comic books, but the battle-mode never really was.

Batman has a Hulkbuster-type mech suit he hid away for fighting the Justice League. I don't think a Batmobile/Tank hybrid equipped with nonlethal weaponry is THAT outrageous.

As I said in my edit, I can burn around the city at too speed without bashing into stuff if I want to. I bash into stuff because it's incredibly fun and often helps with shortcuts and efficient racing lines.

If it's possible for one person to control it well it's possible for you. :p

Makes tank mode a toggle so you don't have to hold it.

Moves break and Vulcan gun to R2.

Should have been default, imo.

Cool, ill check that out. Thx.

Aroll

I (mostly) liked it, though I did laugh at Jim Sterling's comment about it in his AK review:

Yeah. I don't think it's bad - a bit annoying at times? Sure. But overall I like what they do with it. It just invokes that idea that with how critical it is for him - especially navigating the environment - how the heck did he ever do it before without it?

Still, I enjoy it, and parts when your just riding through the city are fantastic.

MaDKaT

Didnt really have any trouble with the controls. Just need to set the battle mode toggle to ON. My issue is I just didnt really care for the segments. It was fine at first but then it felt like every other mission was shooting drones. I also avoided using the vehicle for travel whenever possible. Would have been nice if you had access to other weapons and could take the drones out on foot.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I feel like it's my least favorite part of a damn good game. It's not terrible, there's just other shit I'd rather be doing. I'm not THAT mad at it.

Zakalwe

Banned
Has anyone counted the missions to see his those many involve the BM? Just the mandatory stuff.

I'm curious to know the exact percentage. If it hasn't been done by then I'll count on my NG+.

It's very easy to control. Which parts are you having difficulty with exactly?

Making use of its full potential is key. Aside from basic driving stuff: Afterburner out of corners to "stick" to the road, the side dodge to help position in a pursuit, switching to batt and very quickly to reposition if required, first person mode for jumps and driving on walls and ceilings... It handles like a dream.

The way you transition into it when you call it, how the game initially introduces you to it, and how they integrated it into puzzles, all feel seamless to me.

Fair enough if you think it's overused in places, but integration not being seem less I can't understand.

It's not slippery at all, if you find it slippery you can learn to drive it better and it won't be. If it's possible for me to career around the city at top speed without bashing into stuff, it's possible for everyone.
It's pretty obviously intentionally slippery. Just because you can learn to control it doesn't mean it's not supposed to slide. I'm not saying it's hard to control, I'm saying it's intentionally loose. You just adjust to how loosely the car drives.

The transition in getting in and out is fine, but like I said, there are multiple parts where you have to use the Batmobile where other gadgets would have been used in other games and could have been used in this one.

Which is really dumb. They should have had the game tell you the control options, maybe even Alfred saying "Master Bruce, make sure you check the revised control schemes that Lucius has added to the Batmobile's systems, you may find them more to your liking".

I agree completely. I kept seeing screenshots with the option available and I thought my game was bugged or something.

The option should really be there from the start instead of forcing you to play the first Riddler Batmobile challenge with the (IMO) annoying default control scheme.

Also I think I've been playing too much, I read the bolded in Alfred's voice and could picture him on the hologram projector screen, lol

Alienous

I'm excited for the DLC. Batgirl has no reason to be driving a Batmobile (maybe a Batcycle), and the 'Season of Infamy' Batman DLC might not have the tankmobile.

Batman has a Hulkbuster-type mech suit he hid away for fighting the Justice League. I don't think a Batmobile/Tank hybrid equipped with nonlethal weaponry is THAT outrageous.

That wouldn't be outrageous, no.

That's only part of what his Batmobile has in Arkham Knight, though.

A vulcan minigun is only 'non-lethal' in the most contrived of circumstances.

The Batmobile is a HUGE part of the Batman mythos. Im not surprised that since Rocksteady were only able to implement it in their last Batman game that it got such a huge chunk of screentime.

Besides I find it absolutely exhilarating.

Listonosh

No idea why there is so much hate for the Batmobile, it's easily one of the best newly implemented features. And it handles wonderfully. That was something I was worried about but damn they pulled it off so well.

I really don't get this at all....

It's seamlessly integrated and incredibly responsive to control, how does it feel like Batman's first time piloting it when he can tear around the city at top speeds and hit enemy targets with precision (if you're capable of pulling it off from a gameplay mechanic perspective, of course, but the potential is there just like predator and combat, so it's not the game's fault if you're not good at it).
I don't really like the way that the weight of the Batmobile feels; it handles like one of the bulkier vehicles in a Rockstar game. I never got the responsiveness that I would want out of it, particularly when braking or reversing course. It felt particularly clumsy when using the Batmobile to traverse environments. Nothing in a Batman game should feel clumsy, but the Batmobile is the one real exception. The imprecision of it just never felt right to me. A lot of people seem to like it, and that's fine.

It's not about "getting good" at it. It's not hard; the tank combat in particular is dirt easy. It's just not compelling gameplay to me, which is why it's unfortunate that there's so much of it.

I did like the use of the Batmobile to remotely get Batman out of tough spots. I also liked it's use in some environmental puzzles using winches, some of those were really creative. That's the sorta stuff I would have liked to have seen more of. If I needed to count on the Batmobile for anything that required precision, I found it to be pretty unreliable.

Spoiler for people who have finished Batman: Arkham Knight

Why are people just casually dropping Deathstroke? Deathstroke has nothing to do with the freaking tanks. It's not difficult to put two-and-two together.

Have you finished the sidequest? You'll see...

There is precedent in both the comics and the movies for Batman using weapons that are conventionally used for killing. Hell, Batman has actually killed before.

I don't know why you are so hung up on the Bat-Tank.

Zakalwe

Banned
I don't really like the way that the weight of the Batmobile feels; it handles like one of the bulkier vehicles in a Rockstar game. I never got the responsiveness that I would want out of it, particularly when braking or reversing course. It felt particularly clumsy when using the Batmobile to traverse environments. Nothing in a Batman game should feel clumsy, but the Batmobile is the one real exception. The imprecision of it just never felt right to me. A lot of people seem to like it, and that's fine.

It's not about "getting good" at it. It's not hard; the tank combat in particular is dirt easy. It's just not compelling gameplay to me, which is why it's unfortunate that there's so much of it.

I did like the use of the Batmobile to remotely get Batman out of tough spots. I also liked it's use in some environmental puzzles using winches, some of those were really creative. That's the sorta stuff I would have liked to have seen more of. If I needed to count on the Batmobile for anything that required precision, I found it to be pretty unreliable.

I don't mean to be rude, but if you're finding it clumsy then it is about getting good. I don't find it clumsy at all, neither do others, so if it's possible for one person to drive it with precise control that potential exists for everyone.

The mechanic itself is sound.

Boogdud

I really like the tank segments actually. It feels like a modern day Battlezone.

bzshot21.gif

I think the problem i have with it now that i think about it is that i expect it to control like a Halo warthog, left thumb gas; right thumb controls. Damn this muscle memory.

I don't mean to be rude, but if you're finding it clumsy then it is about getting good. I don't find it clumsy at all, neither do others, so if it's possible for one person to drive it with precise control that potential exists for everyone.

I don't know what you've been reading. But one of the biggest complaints about the Batmobile has been that it's felt loose.

Again, just because you adjust yourself to the way it drives, doesn't mean the way it drives is great. There are plenty of bad mechanics that people get good with.

KingBroly

Banned
I feel like the Batmobile takes away from what could've been a lot better moments in the game. Instead, it's just 'destroy a lot of tanks' or 'destroy all these Special Tanks.' It's kinda disheartening to see what could've been much more memorable moments in other Batman games simply because the Batmobile wasn't there.

The Batmobile may not be the worst thing, but it's a heavily-relied on crutch that overstays its welcome time and again.

Alienous

There is precedent in both the comics and the movies for Batman using weapons that are conventionally used for killing. Hell, Batman has actually killed before.

I don't know why you are so hung up on the Bat-Tank.

You really have gotten to the core of the character, haven't you? Haha.

Batman has also been confined to a wheelchair, but that doesn't make crawling around with a broken spine compelling gameplay.

Look, my issue with the Bat-Tank is that I felt that it was a reductive element of the game. The combat itself wasn't all that interesting, and the increase in difficulty was pretty much "more lines". It takes precedence over things like the pursuit mode chases, which are really cool and dynamic and are a part of the Batmobile that doesn't require the Bat-Tank element.

As the game progressed it seemed more and more like a crutch to put before or after other parts of gameplay, or in lieu of on-foot boss battles, without much thought. "Sir, you just arrived, the drone forces are incoming". "Sir, before you leave, the drone forces are incoming". Not once did I think to myself "Fuck yes, another one of these sections", but I certainly did that with the Predator areas, the Dual-Play areas, the Pursuit chases and a good number of the Freeflow areas.

I don't think it's terrible. I just think Batman: Arkham Knight would have been better off without the Bat-Tank, and I hope the DLC doesn't have it.

i understand the need to have a battlemode but after playing every driving game known to man that has it bound to the Left trigger....LT should of been brake by default dammit

Oh well....have completed it now

Zakalwe

Banned
I don't know what you've been reading. But one of the biggest complaints about the Batmobile has been that it's felt loose.

Again, just because you adjust yourself to the way it drives, doesn't mean the way it drives is great. There are plenty of bad mechanics that people get good with.

I didn't need to adjust to the way it drives, I found it precise from the beginning as have many others as it's a well made mechanic.

If that potential exists for me it exists for everyone.

I didn't need to adjust to the way it drives, I found it precise from the beginning as have many others as it's a well made mechanic.

If that exists for me it exists for everyone.
That makes no sense. By your logic, since I and others don't find it very responsive and find it loose, then since it exists for us, it exists for everyone.

There have been just as many, if not more people who say the Batmobile isn't a great mechanic. If it weren't a frequent opinion, we wouldn't even have a thread asking if it's one of the worst mechanics in recent memory (I don't think it is, but a thread like this doesn't get made unless there are widespread complaints about the mechanic at hand). You can't just come in and tell all of those people that they're wrong because you like it and liked it from the start.

Of course, the potential to drive it badly exists for everyone.
Again, just because there is potential to adjust myself to a mechanic and do well with it, it doesn't mean I have to think the mechanic is well done when I get to that point. I have no problem driving the Batmobile around the city, it's literally been the easiest part of the game for me, I just think the way I have to do it isn't particularly well done.

The Batmobile sections make me feel like I'm playing a PS2-era game, which always included a randomly wonky portion of an otherwise great and polished experience.

There's parts that are great (pursuit mode, chasing down bad guys, and popping out to beat them up) but there should have been less of it.

Zakalwe

Banned
Again, just because there is potential to adjust myself to a mechanic and do well with it, it doesn't mean I have to think the mechanic is well done when I get to that point. I have no problem driving the Batmobile around the city, I just think the way I have to do it isn't particularly well done.

Every new mechanic needs to be learnt, and every driving mechanic is slightly different. It didn't take any longer than usual for me to apply general driving game rules to the BM, I certainly didn't have to learn how to compensate for it handling poorly.

I'm not even particularly good at driving games...

The BM will spin out or drift slightly if you over do it with the afterburner or don't lock your drift in well - for example, but these are not faults with the mechanic itself.

I'm excited for the DLC. Batgirl has no reason to be driving a Batmobile (maybe a Batcycle), and the 'Season of Infamy' Batman DLC might not have the tankmobile.

He's using Rubber Bullets......Honest

Zyae

It's too simple to be badass. It's basically the definition of "push a button; something awesome has to happen." Nothing's awesome when it's so easy. It feels very AAA, very focus group tested, very carefully designed to ensure nothing mechanically intensive is required to execute it properly. The same can be said about the regular combat in the Batman games too, though.

Wait, what's hyperbolic about that sentence? There's a lot of people being apologetic for the car combat by saying it's badass. It's a statement of fact. You can disagree with me, but what I said isn't hyperbolic.

b0wlHQp.gif

It's not, though. Zen_Arcade pretty much summed up my thoughts, so I won't rehash those points.

Zakalwe

Banned
The batmobile is a game ruiner for sure. It is so clumsy that it makes the original Arkham Asylum feel like a more seemless experience, despite not being an open world.

Every new mechanic needs to be learnt, and every driving mechanic is slightly different. It didn't take any longer than usual for me to apply general driving game rules to the BM, I certainly didn't have to learn how to compensate for it handling poorly.

I'm not even particularly good at driving games...

The BM will spin out or drift slightly if you over do it with the AFterburner or don't lock your drift in well for example,, but these are not faults with the mechanic itself.
Again, you're assuming I haven't learned how to drive it. I have, very quickly. My complaint isn't that it's hard to control, my complaint is that even when controlling it well, the Batmobile feels intentionally loose. I just think driving it isn't very fun. I'm not the only one who feels this way, and it's fine that you don't. But it's pretty condescending that anyone saying that the Batmobile doesn't feel particularly fun to drive is met with you saying that they just need to get better at the game. It's possible to be good at the game and still think the Batmobile is unfun and badly designed. No matter how much you want to claim otherwise. Me thinking the controls are loose doesn't mean I'm doing badly while driving.

I've done 96% of what there is to do in the game, including all of the driving and tank missions. Driving and tank missions are the easiest part of the game for me, they're also the most boring and uninteresting parts.

It's not the worst but it is overused. Too many instances rely on the Batmobile to progress. Useful for hunting down Riddler's trophies though.

Alienous

He doesn't use the vulcan mini-gun against people...

I didn't say he did. I'm saying that using one would have been lethal in pretty much any circumstance other than the very specific one Batman: Arkham Knight presents.

Look, I don't have a problem with contrivances, it's just that the game distorts logic for what I think is an inclusion that doesn't have much grounding in the Batman mythos.

Here's an example. Batman can 'hit' people with the Batmobile, and they will never die. That's contrived, but I understand the reason, because Batman killing people would go against the essence of the character. My point with the Tank-Mode that it isn't contrived to get to any core essence of Batman, but rather to suit the purposes of a specific type of gameplay, one that at no point of the game I was excited for (unlike pretty much all of the other types of gameplay).

I'd groan instead of smiling knowing that another Bat-Tank section was incoming, more and more in the latter parts of the game. But Predator, Dual-Play, Pursuit chases and most Freeflow sections would garner the opposite reaction. That's the reason for my dislike of the Bat-Tank.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Bat tank is fine. I'll totally agree that it DID get overused a bit.. But had they scaled it back by maybe 1/3, it would have IMHO been a completely positive addition to the game. As it is, it makes the game a little better, just was overused.

Talking only about the tank stuff.. If you mean the proper driving stuff, you are fucking crazy. Only a plus to the game.

There have been just as many, if not more people who say the Batmobile isn't a great mechanic.

I think a HUGE part of this comes down to it being a totally new mechanic in a game/series that people didn't want a totally new mechanic. Ever since AA, people really just wanted MORE AA. Every step Rocksteady has veered away from the 3D metroidvania that was AA, people have complained about. That is the batmobile in a nutshell.

It is for me and many others, sorry you guys are having difficulty with it.
No problem, it's not really difficulty, it's more of a feel thing. I have the same issue with Grand Theft Auto games, something about the character movement just feels "off" in those games, and it's just something I have to deal with. I think everything else about the Arkham games feels incredibly tight, and I wish I got that same satisfaction from driving around in the Batmobile.

Again, you're assuming I haven't learned how to drive it. I have, very quickly. My complaint isn't that it's hard to control, my complaint is that even when controlling it well, the Batmobile feels intentionally loose. I just think driving it isn't very fun. I'm not the only one who feels this way, and it's fine that you don't. But it's pretty condescending that anyone saying that the Batmobile doesn't feel particularly fun to drive is met with you saying that they just need to get better at the game. It's possible to be good at the game and still think the Batmobile is unfun and badly designed. No matter how much you want to claim otherwise. Me thinking the controls are loose doesn't mean I'm doing badly while driving.

I've done 96% of what there is to do in the game, including all of the driving and tank missions. Driving and tank missions are the easiest part of the game for me, they're also the most boring and uninteresting parts.
This has pretty much been my exact takeaway from the game. I'm pretty much down to only Riddler trophies at this point, and I wouldn't still be playing the game if I didn't largely enjoy it. I just wish I had gotten more fun out of the Batmobile than I did.

Top Bottom