• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Hulk the cheapest comic book superhero ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Xyrmellon said:
Also in Secret Wars he beats the entire X-men team barely breaking a sweat. 80's Spidey was the best, when they actually tried to mature the character and even set his age at late 20's. I haven't read any of the iterations for several years but every picture I've seen he looks 14.

Doesn't Spiderman get some crazy god powers at one point due to some mysterious force or dimension or some shit?

Narag

~Devil Trigger~ said:
113537-90622-gladiator_super.jpg
1SRqW.jpg

Oblivion said:
Doesn't Spiderman get some crazy god powers at one point due to some mysterious force or dimension or some shit?
Captain Universe Spider-Man?

Slayven

Oblivion said:
He got the Captain Universe powers for a while but that was a very temporary situation.

The Uni-Power is an extra-dimensional force that possesses an individual (or on one occasion, twins) in a time of crisis, transforming that person into Captain Universe. As Captain Universe, the transformed person typically retains his or her original personality and appearance, though with Captain Universe's costume and heroic traits superimposed over the original. The Uni-Power itself emanates from the Enigma Force, the exact nature of which, naturally, remains an enigma. It is believed, however, to be connected to the Microverse, home of the Micronauts. Although the Uni-Power typically empowers normal, non-super-powered humans, it has in the past empowered Doctor Strange, Spider-Man, Commander Arcturus Rann of the Micronauts, a toddler, and a dog, among others. Its counterparts in various alternate timelines have also possessed Mar-Vell, Mr. Fantastic, a member of the alien Badoon race, a Doombot and Quasar. Because of its never-ending supply of energy it has been the target of many individuals, terrorist groups and peacekeeping agencies such as AIM, the Psycho-Man, Doctor Doom and even S.H.I.E.L.D.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Slayven said:
He got the Captain Universe powers for a while but that was a very temporary situation.

Yes! That's the one.

Uni-Power itself emanates from the Enigma Force, the exact nature of which, naturally, remains an enigma.

oh for the love of...

Narag said:
1SRqW.jpg

Captain Universe Spider-Man?

I think he is referring to the "Spider God" storyline that really didn't go anywhere. Spidey got a couple of new powers like wrist stingers and the ability to talk to Spiders. I think Marvel "forgot" about it after Brand New Day, but I could be wrong about that.

El Sloth said:
MCUFx.jpg

This Fool.

Frozen, melted, reduced to crumbs, etc. It all doesn't matter. You can't kill this fucker. Only incapacitate him.

Hulk could spend a millenia pounding him into goo and he would still be okay(physically).
How was he considered an active superhero when he was just crumbs on the ocean floor.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
woodypop said:
I've been reading them since before you were born. ;)

I actually prefer Maj's classic costume:

80402-18001-105396-1-wildstorm-spotlight_super.jpg

(^Though I think that one has some extra armor.)
Agree to disagree, old timer. I'll take current Majestic over that Liefeldian monstrosity any day of the week.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Angry Fork said:
This topic reminds me of this character:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternity_(comics)

I want to look for any comics where it appears. I'm fascinated by characters like that. I remember there were some others that were similar but I can't remember them right now.
Infinity Gauntlet features several such entities.

Unrelated, but Gladiator always struck me funny. A dude who's badass until he gets his self confidence shaken? Him and Ichigo are both like negative Hulks.

Xyrmellon

Oblivion said:

I know during the MacFarlane run he got the powers of Captain Universe for an issue, as almost a goof, and actually fought the Hulk to a draw.

2saxA.jpg

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Xyrmellon said:
I know during the MacFarlane run he got the powers of Captain Universe for an issue, as almost a goof, and actually fought the Hulk to a draw.

http://i.imgur.com/2saxA.jpg
Meh. Grey Hulk's the weakest version.

There's a What If dealing with what would've happened if Spidey had retained the powers. He punches Thor into orbit at one point.

Sharp

So I read some more about Sentry, and apparently he somehow got "killed off" because the fans didn't like him, even though it wasn't logically consistent with the rest of the universe and by the nature of the character he could literally come back at any time. Does this sort of thing happen often in these comics?

Narag

Freshmaker said:
Meh. Grey Hulk's the weakest version.

There's a What If dealing with what would've happened if Spidey had retained the powers. He punches Thor into orbit at one point.

That What If was one of my favorites. Such a great line.

Dali said:
Can't Scarlet Witch like alter reality and has the even more powerful power of undefined, ambiguous... ummm.... powers. You can't get much more powerful than the random abilities a writer decides to pull out their ass.

She caused M-Day, so yea she's broken

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Sharp said:
So I read some more about Sentry, and apparently he somehow got "killed off" because the fans didn't like him, even though it wasn't logically consistent with the rest of the universe and by the nature of the character he could literally come back at any time. Does this sort of thing happen often in these comics?
He could come back at any time by the nature of comic books.

Marvel killed Sentry because they had no clue what to do with him as evidenced by his half a dozen origin stories in a 5 year span.

Infinite Justice said:
She caused M-Day, so yea she's broken

Even if she didn't have her powers through some paradox (her powers cause her powers not to exist), we all know that depowered comic book characters are even more likely to come back than dead ones.

Just look at Jubilee.

Affeinvasion said:
Even if she didn't have her powers through some paradox (her powers cause her powers not to exist), we all know that depowered comic book characters are even more likely to come back than dead ones.

Just look at Jubilee.

Isn't she a vampire now or something?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
He kind of had to go, because he was sort of breaking the universe by being there. He was literally operating at power levels unmatched in the history of the marvel universe. Imagine the strength and powers of Superman times about 10, plus the reality altering powers of Molecule Man, plus crippling mental illness that made him ridiculously unstable and the tendency to spontaneously turn into The Void, who was basically the angel of death.

Basically it took Thor and all of the Avengers powered up by the Norn Stones to take him down, and even then it only worked because Robert Reynolds wanted to die.

It was insane.

He was actually originally supposed to be just a Marvel version of Superman, who had to make the world (and himself) forget his heroism to keep the Void from destroying the world. Then he got brought back for New Avengers, and during the years between then and Siege, things just got way out of hand.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Also this thread made me think of the most overpowered team ever.

id8KkE.jpg

Evil is fucked.

Htown said:
He kind of had to go, because he was sort of breaking the universe by being there. He was literally operating at power levels unmatched in the history of the marvel universe. Imagine the strength and powers of Superman times about 10, plus the reality altering powers of Molecule Man, plus crippling mental illness that made him ridiculously unstable and the tendency to spontaneously turn into The Void, who was basically the angel of death.

Basically it took Thor and all of the Avengers powered up by the Norn Stones to take him down, and even then it only worked because Robert Reynolds wanted to die.

It was insane.

He was actually originally supposed to be just a Marvel version of Superman, who had to make the world (and himself) forget his heroism to keep the Void from destroying the world. Then he got brought back for New Avengers, and during the years between then and Siege, things just got way out of hand.

Just read his info on Wikipedia....

Holy Shit. :O :O

Not only he's broken as hell while being a good guy its the same when evil? Fuck

Htown said:
Evil is fucked.

This means nothing to me, as someone who does not read or have very much interest in comics. The only one I recognize is silver surfer, whose powers I don't even known because I refused to watch the shitty FF movies. Could you give me a rundown?

karasu

How is Superman worst, you plebes?! He fights people more powerful than him all of the time!! The hulk is definitely the answer. Unlimited anger Is bullshit.

IrishNinja

Chamber said:
The serum made Cap a perfect human, not beyond human. I'd put him well beneath someone like Deathstroke who is beyond human.

Freshmaker said:
He's not beyond peak. MVP replicated the effects of Cap's serum by exercising a lot.

afraid you're both wrong, unless you consider things like dodging bullets at point blank range, bench pressing something in the neighborhood of a ton, and running through a warzone, while carrying a downed soldier, at 60 MPH to be "peak human" somehow.
they're not nearly in the same division; bats needs to be paired up against someone like Daredevil or Black Panther.

Pandaman said:
could deathstroke beat batman? batman admitted that Cap could beat him.

also, this. i fully agree to wolvy/hulk/supes etc being overpowered in the comics, bats just gets oddly overpowered by his fans. again, i really think it takes from the character when people act like he can take down supes without a drunken Frank Miller at the helm.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
The thing about Marvel comics, and one of the many reasons that I love them, is that they create ridiculously hyper over powered characters like insane scarlet witch, molecule man, sentry, a well equipped Thanos, and yes sometimes hulk (green scar and such) but they always have something that is a catalyst for that power and it usually comes in the form of insanity. The cool thing about the hulk is its his understanding human side that is his catalyst. Also if anything ever got really out of hand the living tribunal would step in and do something.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
IrishNinja said:
afraid you're both wrong, unless you consider things like dodging bullets at point blank range, bench pressing something in the neighborhood of a ton, and running through a warzone, while carrying a downed soldier, at 60 MPH to be "peak human" somehow.
they're not nearly in the same division; bats needs to be paired up against someone like Daredevil or Black Panther.
Marvel says he's peak human. He's peak human. That aside, how the hell did he become a tactical genius? Side effect of being frozen for decades?

Kusagari said:
If manga/anime count then this guy owns everyone mentioned in this topic with his hax.

Picture of Tenchi

1) There are people more powerful than Tenchi in the Tenchiverse.

2)
You obviously haven't read this:

70726f647563742f306539383933623435662e6a70670032353000.png

He'll eat
death
for breakfast.

a friend of mine said Hulk is unbeatable, nothing can beat him ever.

I think that's really lame, where is the tension or anything with him? he might as well not exist as a character

Ghost Rider would burn Hulks soul.

In his new incarnation, Blaze is now possibly the most powerful hero on Earth. During "World War Hulk" it was stated by Dr. Stephen Strange that Ghost Rider might be equally as powerful as the "Green Scar" persona of Hulk and could defeat him, but wouldn't because Ghost Rider only defended the innocent and the Illuminati wasn't innocent.

Alpha-Bromega said:

I think that's really lame, where is the tension or anything with him? he might as well not exist as a character
He can be beat, but he usually comes back and curb stomps people.

Kusagari

Dreamgazer said:
1) There are people more powerful than Tenchi in the Tenchiverse.

2)
You obviously haven't read this:

70726f647563742f306539383933623435662e6a70670032353000.png

He'll eats
death
for breakfast.

1. Who in Tenchi is stronger than him when he turns into Kami Tenchi? He's basically an omnipotent God in that form. It's been forever since I've bothered with it though.

2. No I haven't but that spoiler makes me interested.

I could only imagine if the OP would watch some anime. But then again the "supervillians" in those are more or less as powerful as the protagonists.

Anyway I always wanted to ask this:

A little off-topic but who would win in a fight?

Straw Hat Luffy or Thor?

Alpha-Bromega said:

As has been mentioned already the ability to be defeated physically is nothing compared to the prospect of losing his humanity in totality. That is what Bruce Banner is always struggling with.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Alpha-Bromega said:

Beating Hulk is kind of a null issue.

The Hulk's hard to trust because he's basically an unstoppable berserker at his worst.

Generally the tension stems from people worrying about Hulk going on a rampage (which he does from time to time) and trying to figure out how to keep him in check. Bruce Banner spends a lot of time worrying about the damage he might do as Hulk on top of that.

Flying_Phoenix said:
I could only imagine if the OP would watch some anime. But then again the "supervillians" in those are more or less as powerful as the protagonists.

Anyway I always wanted to ask this:

A little off-topic but who would win in a fight?

Straw Hat Luffy or Thor?
Thor. Hard to fight someone who can control the weather and can't be hurt. Nothing in One Piece is anywhere near as broken as Thor is currently.

Poyunch

Alpha-Bromega said:

Tons of people have beaten Hulk.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
IrishNinja said:
That's not what I consider peak human. That's what comic books consider peak human.

Huge difference.

IrishNinja said:
also, this. i fully agree to wolvy/hulk/supes etc being overpowered in the comics, bats just gets oddly overpowered by his fans. again, i really think it takes from the character when people act like he can take down supes without a drunken Frank Miller at the helm.
Yeah, nobody thinks that btw.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Oblivion said:
From the Hulk's profile page on Wiki:

Now, I'm not exactly just discovering this. I've known this for years, and I imagine most people with even a casual interest in the Hulk probably already knew this too. But it's always bothered me. I'm sorry, but nearly infinite strength? Power matching the fricken Celestials? That's bullshit, dawg. The Hulk is a creation of science and should abide by the laws of physics goddamn it. And yes, that includes comic book physics.

Ya feel me?
I don't think anyone here really understands the true depths human emotion can be taken to. I think someone can get that angry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom