• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the lightsaber the best fictional weapon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StayDead

Gurren Laggan

A Stand. You're vulnerable when using them, but say something like The World. In the right hands you're practically invincible.

zoukka

The lightsaber is actually a horrible weapon since you need to be a supernatural space wizard to wield it and not accidentally destroy yourself and everything around you.

Bishop89

the first scene of many to trivialize light saber duels forever?

giphy.gif

TheDanger

Banned
The lightsaber is actually a horrible weapon since you need to be a supernatural space wizard to wield it and not accidentally destroy yourself and everything around you.

Didn't Finn use it in Force Awakens? He doesn't have any connection to the Force afaik. I thought you just need the Force to do things like block shots blind like Luke does in IV.

wondermega

Fun fact. The lightsaber was created and animated by the same dude who directed the 1986 Transformers movie (and made the decision to kill Optimus Prime)

jelly

Han Solo uses it briefly as well. It's just a sword, sure you might not get just a cut if you touch it but same rules mostly apply.

Keasar

No. The bolter is the best.

Just about any weapon of the Warhammer 40K universe takes the cake.

The Bolter being a miniature missile launcher launcher that fires like an assault rifle, each bullet a small rocket for maximum impact and damage.

The Chainsword being a chainsaw combined with a sword.

The Orks have a gun called the Shokk Attack Gun that sucks in tiny Gretchins (mini-Orks) and then teleports them through The Warp in the general direction it is aimed at. Sometimes resulting in the small Gretchin, who just travelled through literal hell and saw everything that awaits poor souls who gets there, to end up appearing INSIDE the armour of unfortunate, for example, Space Marines, where the batshit terrified little thing starts trying to clawing it's way out of the inside of whatever it is.

The Eldar has a D-Cannon, the D for Dimensional, that shoots a miniature black holes.

The Necrons have the hots for something called the Gauss Rifle, a anti-molecular gun that rips shit up at the atomic level, disintegrating things into dust.

When everything fails, the Imperium of Man deploys their last resort weaponry in a move called Exterminatus. Using weapons like the Cyclonic torpedo that burrows to the core of a planet, exploding and destabilizing it, often resulting in the total catastrophic structural failure of the planet and wiping it out. Or the Virus Bombs that contaminates the entire planet with a Life-Eater virus that infects everything organic, melting it down to a sludge that then evaporates into a gas that once it reaches a critical point, self-ignites and covers the planet in a cleansing firestorm that eradicates all life and oxygen, turning the planet into a barren rock devoid of ALL life. Or they just orbital bombard the shit out of the planet like a giant carpet of lasers and all other manners of weaponry.
QqwnmDh.gif

FUCKING HERETICS!
Shit like this makes the Deathstar look merciful.

Out of all that, I think I'd go also with the Bolter, it's big, it is loud, gets the job done and is a series staple.

If you're not a Jedi then most ranged weapons are better. ON THE OTHER HAND it's the best weapon against zombies. Barely makes sound, cuts through any number of zombies, doesn't make a mess of blood flying so less chance of infection and can be turned on indefinitely(?).

Engell

assume the auto 9 is ficitonal but cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1_Pw563opc

It's "just" a Beretta M93R with some extra stuff bolted on to it
https://youtu.be/vS8unoUfhlI?t=17
not very usable/precise for humans unless you use a stock to stabilize it.. but not a problem for Robocop he could fire that thing all day one handed.

not really considered a modern design anymore, and is design wise surpassed. But I guess it was super futuristic back when Robocop was made

Bluth54

Didn't Finn use it in Force Awakens? He doesn't have any connection to the Force afaik. I thought you just need the Force to do things like block shots blind like Luke does in IV.

Fynn likely had much more hand to hand weapon training as a Stormtrooper than your average person.
I would guess that the lack of weight with a lightsaber blade would cause people no trained in melee weapons to overcompensate when sword fighting with the weapon which could cause potential self injury.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Blade's sword is pretty cool. The security feature being the best part. That and its probably made of or plated in pure silver.

Has anyone mentioned the greatest gun ever created, aka the Zorg ZF-1 Pod Weapon from 5th Element?

3a239613b71942d5a889f52bcc8af13f.jpg

Super versatile (net launcher, rocket launcher, flame thrower, freeze ray, machine gun, arrow launcher) and has fire and forget tracking, so you only need to land the first shot and all rounds home in on the target.

NEO0MJ

The Bolter being a miniature missile launcher launcher that fires like an assault rifle, each bullet a small rocket for maximum impact and damage.

I wonder if this is the inspiration for Doom's assault rifle. For those that didn't play it one of the upgrades for the rifle attached a battery to it that allowed you to fire six homing missiles but they had a slow reload. However if you complete its mission it allowed you to fire them without having to reload, pretty much turning it into a missile machine gun. Made the rocket launcher far less enticing to use.

The Chainsword being a chainsaw combined with a sword.

The Orks have a gun called the Shokk Attack Gun that sucks in tiny Gretchins (mini-Orks) and then teleports them through The Warp in the general direction it is aimed at. Sometimes resulting in the small Gretchin, who just travelled through literal hell and saw everything that awaits poor souls who gets there, to end up appearing INSIDE the armour of unfortunate, for example, Space Marines, where the batshit terrified little thing starts trying to clawing it's way out of the inside of whatever it is.

The Eldar has a D-Cannon, the D for Dimensional, that shoots a miniature black holes.

The Necrons have the hots for something called the Gauss Rifle, a anti-molecular gun that rips shit up at the atomic level, disintegrating things into dust.

When everything fails, the Imperium of Man deploys their last resort weaponry in a move called Exterminatus. Using weapons like the Cyclonic torpedo that burrows to the core of a planet, exploding and destabilizing it, often resulting in the total catastrophic structural failure of the planet and wiping it out. Or the Virus Bombs that contaminates the entire planet with a Life-Eater virus that infects everything organic, melting it down to a sludge that then evaporates into a gas that once it reaches a critical point, self-ignites and covers the planet in a cleansing firestorm that eradicates all life and oxygen, turning the planet into a barren rock devoid of ALL life. Or they just orbital bombard the shit out of the planet like a giant carpet of lasers and all other manners of weaponry.

Shit like this makes the Deathstar look merciful.

Out of all that, I think I'd go also with the Bolter, it's big, it is loud, gets the job done and is a series staple.
Duuude! Where can I read about the Warhammer universe? And where to start? I need to know!!

Mista Koo

My personal favorite is Sun Wukong's shape shifting staff (Ruyi Jingu Bang). I'm not too familiar with Journey to the West so I'm basing my opinion on its appearances in popular culture.

RAqh2kt.gif

ZCg92e6.gif

3rtqy66.gif

Lightsabers are cool though and the only reason I watched Star Wars.

Light sabers are cool, but I'd pick a Green Lantern power ring over it easy.

All the things you could do, with damn near only your imagination as the limit.

Lafazar

Balefire from Wheel of time.

Anyone hit by it not only immediately stops to exist, they retroactively get erased in the past as well, undoing everything they have done after a certain point.

Using it too much causes reality itself to unravel and become unstable.

http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/Balefire

Magic swords in general are pretty much the coolest things on earth.

The Mass Effect omni-tool (complete with blades, fire and ice beams, grenades, the ability to deploy drones. It also hacks, repairs, and makes fat-free corndogs) is pretty rad as well.

Yazuka

From a Movie, perhaps.
But overall I very much enjoy the Gunblade from Final Fantasy VIII as my favorite fictional weapon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom