• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the lightsaber the best fictional weapon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dryk

Fynn likely had much more hand to hand weapon training as a Stormtrooper than your average person.
I would guess that the lack of weight with a lightsaber blade would cause people no trained in melee weapons to overcompensate when sword fighting with the weapon which could cause potential self injury.
Lightsaber blades have weight. In fact they're heavier if you're inexperienced with them because they need time to synchronise with a new user.

jiggles

Banned
The Lazy Guns from Against a Dark Background.

RIP Ian Banks

Came to post this and happy to be beaten.

There had been eight Lazy Guns. A Lazy Gun was a little over half a meter in length, about thirty centimeters in width and twenty centimeters in height. Its front was made up of two stubby cylinders which protruded from the smooth, matte-silver main body. The cylinders ended in slightly bulged black-glass lenses. A couple of hand controls sitting on stalks, an eyesight curving up on an other extension, and a broad, adjustable metal strap all indicated that the weapons had been designed to be fired from the waist.

There were two controls, one on each hand grip; a zoom wheel and a trigger.
You looked through the sight, zoomed in until the target you had selected just filled your vision, then you pressed the trigger. The Lazy Gun did the rest instantaneously.

But you had no idea whatsoever exactly what was going to happen next.

If you had aimed at a person, a spear might suddenly materialize and pierce them through the chest, or some snake's spit fang might graze their neck, or a ship's anchor might appear falling above them, crushing them, or two enormous switch-electrodes would leap briefly into being on either side of the hapless target and vaporize him or her.

If you had aimed the gun at something larger, like a tank or a house, then it might implode, explode, collapse in a pile of dust, be struck by a section of a tidal wave or a lava flow, be turned inside out or just disappear entirely, with or without a bang.

Increasing scale seemed to rob a Lazy Gun of its eccentric poesy; turn it on a city or a mountain and it tended simply to drop an appropriately sized nuclear or thermonuclear fireball onto it. The only known exception had been when what was believed to have been a comet nucleus had destroyed a city-sized berg-barge on the water world of Trontsephori.

Rumor had it that some of the earlier Lazy Guns, at least, had shown what looked suspiciously like humor when they had been used; criminals saved from firing squads so that they could be the subjects of experiments had died under a hail of bullets, all hitting their hearts at the same time; an obsolete submarine had been straddled by depth charges; a mad king obsessed with metals had been smothered under a deluge of mercury.

The braver physicists--those who didn't try to deny the existence of Lazy Guns altogether--ventured that the weapons somehow accessed different dimensions; they monitored other continua and dipped into one to pluck out their chosen method of destruction and transfer it to this universe, where it carried out its destructive task then promptly disappeared, only its effects remaining. Or they created whatever they desired to create from the ground-state of quantum fluctuation that invested the fabric of space. Or they were time machines.

Any one of these possibilities was so mind-boggling in its implications and ramifications--provided that one could understand or ever harness the technology involved--that the fact a Lazy Gun was light but massy, and weighed exactly three times as much turned upside down as it did the right way up, was almost trivial by comparison.

Considering they've been using blasters for thousands of years, I'd like to know when this "civilized age' was.

One thing I find highly questionable about BioWare's Old Republic stuff is that the technology is exactly the same even though it takes place thousands of years before the mainline Star Wars timeline. A lot of fictional universes have this issue though. Like Skyrim takes places a couple hundred years after Oblivion I think and the tech is the same. Can't tell me there's been zero advances, 200 years ago we didn't have light bulbs and look at us now.

NEO0MJ

One thing I find highly questionable about BioWare's Old Republic stuff is that the technology is exactly the same even though it takes place thousands of years before the mainline Star Wars timeline. A lot of fictional universes have this issue though. Like Skyrim takes places a couple hundred years after Oblivion I think and the tech is the same. Can't tell me there's been zero advances, 200 years ago we didn't have light bulbs and look at us now.

Well, if you compare 1K AD to 1.5K things didn't move far, either. Significant progress takes time, but it moves exponentially.

It might be the best if you're referring to it's popularity and marketing, but in any other contest there's lots of weapons that destroy lightsabers.

Keasar

Duuude! Where can I read about the Warhammer universe? And where to start? I need to know!!

I recommend Lexicanum for the most serious in-depth, in-universe documentation of everything Warhammer 40K.
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page

The Warhammer 40K Wiki is written more from the perspective of someone looking at the game. So you get more references to games, media and other material.
http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_40k_Wiki

For a more comedic (and very potentially NSFW) version, 1D4Chan does some honestly at times hilarious compelation writing of what Warhammer 40K cause let's face it, for all the awesome that is 40K, it is often also very silly. Warning though, it IS written by 4chan so some of the language at times can be inflammatory. It is however the best source for a perspective of the hobby from some REALLY hardcore enthusiasts.
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000

Then once you feel like diving even further into the rabbit hole, there are books. Oh god so many books. This is what keeps my interest alive. I don't play the miniature game, did once many years ago but stopped due to economic and time constraints. Still, doesn't stop me from enjoying Warhammer 40K's lovely universe in books, video games and cheaper board games and role playing games. My personal favourites includes the series about Gaunt's Ghost and Ciaphas Cain (massive Imperial Guard fan).
http://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-40000

Also once you feel like it, I recommend checking out Bruva Alfabusa's series If the Emperor Had a Text to Speech Device. Which is basically the serialization of the hypothetical situation of what would happen if the Emperor of Mankind could finally talk with people again and start controlling shit after his 10.000 year coma (hint: He is fucking pissed). It's never gonna happen for real in canon, but it does actually bring the best interpretation of the situation of what the Emperor would think of things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR8Six9qpcA&list=PLyiDf91_bTEgnBN0jAvzNbqzrlMGID5WA
It starts off slow but after a few episodes starts to really get into it.

Spladam

No. The best stylish weapon perhaps, but absolutely silly and suicidal in every other way.
What I was going to express.
8tSOcux.gif

Shmuppers

No. If we're talking about weapons that you can hold in your hand, then I will continue to shill the Eragon book series' Albitir.

It's the "epitome of the inclined plane". Can cut through absolutely anything with zero effort. In the movies, the Jedi always have to painstakingly drag the lightsaber through the heavier stuff they tried to cut through.

I recommend Lexicanum for the most serious in-depth, in-universe documentation of everything Warhammer 40K.
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page

The Warhammer 40K Wiki is written more from the perspective of someone looking at the game. So you get more references to games, media and other material.
http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_40k_Wiki

For a more comedic (and very potentially NSFW) version, 1D4Chan does some honestly at times hilarious compelation writing of what Warhammer 40K cause let's face it, for all the awesome that is 40K, it is often also very silly. Warning though, it IS written by 4chan so some of the language at times can be inflammatory. It is however the best source for a perspective of the hobby from some REALLY hardcore enthusiasts.
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000

Then once you feel like diving even further into the rabbit hole, there are books. Oh god so many books. This is what keeps my interest alive. I don't play the miniature game, did once many years ago but stopped due to economic and time constraints. Still, doesn't stop me from enjoying Warhammer 40K's lovely universe in books, video games and cheaper board games and role playing games. My personal favourites includes the series about Gaunt's Ghost and Ciaphas Cain (massive Imperial Guard fan).
http://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-40000

Also once you feel like it, I recommend checking out Bruva Alfabusa's series If the Emperor Had a Text to Speech Device. Which is basically the serialization of the hypothetical situation of what would happen if the Emperor of Mankind could finally talk with people again and start controlling shit after his 10.000 year coma (hint: He is fucking pissed). It's never gonna happen for real in canon, but it does actually bring the best interpretation of the situation of what the Emperor would think of things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR8Six9qpcA&list=PLyiDf91_bTEgnBN0jAvzNbqzrlMGID5WA
It starts off slow but after a few episodes starts to really get into it.
much obliged!

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.

1200 to 1400 tech would look pretty much the same to you.
(Practically any 200 year span before 1500 or so would, actually)

PJV3

I was never impressed by the torchsword, the Schmidlapp dehydrator from the Batman 66 movie tickled my fancy more.

I guess a beam sword that never runs out of power is great, but I dunno about that unergonomic bare-metal handle. You're just one slip away from dismembering yourself.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Lightsabers are stupidly iconic and cool.

For me, I'd have to go with a Green Lantern ring. The Flash may be my favorite superhero this side of Spider-Man, but if I had to choose, I'd want a Green Lantern ring.

Spuck-uk

Banned
It seems like nothing else comes even remotely close, George Lucas really thought of something special here. Also whoever was responsible for the sound effects was a fucking genius.

'Shiny rod' gets less impressive every year.

Now the Might-blade from The Scar, there's a terrifying weapon. Swings through every possible parallel universe at once, so it always hits its mark.

Or the GBE from Blame!, which removes about a square kilometer of anything from existance.

the lightsaber isn't even the coolest weapon star wars

i think the death star is cooler

at the end of the day they are both lazy. One is a fluorescent stick, the other is sphere that shoots a laser.

NEO0MJ

Oh and forgot, here is the "basic" history of Warhammer 40K. :p
http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_the_Warhammer_40,000_Universe

You reminded me of how much I love the idea behind Ork tech. For all intents and purposes their weapons and tools don't work but because the Orks subconsciously manipulate reality as a group they do.

Either they're made out of energy or plasma and have little to no weight.

It's the hilt itself that's supposed to be pretty heavy. But considering that unlike a metal sword all the weight is distributed evenly in one place wouldn't that make it easier to handle?

Sephzilla

Lightsabers are definitely the best fictional weapon.

Terminators actually suck at their job though.

T1) First Terminator loses to two humans, one is a goddamn waitress.
T2) T-1000 loses to an inferior model
T3) TX loses to an inferior model
T4) T-600s and T-800 lose to humans and a cyborg
T5) T-whatever loses to a T-800

Terminators always lose to something inferior to it and almost never accomplish their job. The most a Terminator has ever accomplished on screen was offing a few practice-round Sarah Connors.

Lupercal

Banned
No one posted the mini gun from Beverly Hills Cop 3 yet?

The Annihilator 2000.
127982.jpg

Has a radio, shoots nets, flame thrower, everything.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
the lightsaber isn't even the coolest weapon star wars

i think the death star is cooler

at the end of the day they are both lazy. One is a fluorescent stick, the other is sphere that shoots a laser.

What's cool about the Death Star?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom