• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the quality of the Gen9 controllers very poor? Or was I just unlucky?

Spyxos

Gold Member
Weird that OP mentions drift with Series S and PS5? Those controls aren't that fragile until you're really giving them a beating. Switch drift doesn't have much reason. You could be playing something as basic as ToTK and get drift.
I think you have too much confidence in the quality. 1 Xbox controller fell down once. Other than that, I've handled them normally. I'm even the weirdo who tells his friends that the buttons should not be pressed too hard. Some are a little too aggresiv ^^.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Mine did that after about six months, left one also, so I sent it back to Nintendo and they sent it back a few weeks later saying no issue could be found. So I sent it back again and they actually fixed it, but it meant the console was unusable for about three months.
I really only notice it in the menu, otherwise it doesn't bother me that much and I can tune it out relatively quickly.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Its literally only my PS controllers that do this, I checked everything else. I guess the went for a softer material. Sometimes one area of the groove is a bit rougher and causes resistance moving in a circle, but they smooth out and it's generally not a problem, but it is unnerving carving into the joystick like a tree lol.

I wonder what it's like for someone who games a lot more than me (I only had 700 hours on PS4)
I remember how I first noticed it. I was playing Dragon's Dogma on PS3 and it was L3 to sprint (worst binding possible). L3 is less easy to press when the stick is stuck in the groove, so you're there trying to do L3 with a half tilted stick, and you just know full tilt L3 is going to wear the stick even more.

It's nice to know not all controllers have soft plastic in them, at least. I could always replace my DS4 sticks.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I seem to buy a lot of controllers mostly if it's a cool color or LE so my ratio maybe higher than others.

- I have had a Xbox series controller thumb-stick mechanism physically break on one controller.
- My kids have destroyed a few switch joycons.
- no issues so far with any of my PS5 controllers.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
My Dual Analog 1 still works. My DS3 started drifting (still trying to fix it). My DS4 still ok.

Last edited:

Nonehxc

Stop using them as vibrators, you goddamn fat moist incels. Inside Juices are bad for rubber and electronics 🥲

Jk, had both Series X box launch controller and x2 DualSense that I sold, x2 black DualSense controllers I have since they went live now, no probs. Am built like a small athletic tank and have enough grip to deadlift +220kg/+485lb barehanded, which is nothing extraordinary or special but quite enough to turn any controller into dust if I wished to...so I guess not playing FPS or twitchy stick tortures, or being a rageplayer helps with not having a controller die on me EVER. I really don't know WTF is drift, guess I'm a sissy delicate player instead of a Chadbro Stick-rapist MasterRacerrrRrR. 😤

Had the usual PSX analog sticks peeling almost 30 years ago(controllers I threw against the wall or wherever several times around and didn't break), and the usual N64 stick sawdust then flaccid humongous deadzone stick(also thrown against a wall quite often), also the odd button-stick stuck with grime or dust here and there as years, consoles, PCs and controllers passed, which I promptly cleaned with iso alcohol and/or compressed air since time inmemorial...

Fuck, I bet if I plug right now any of my Atari 2600 clone sticks, the square with stick and button one and the Afterburner joystick, they still work. 🫡

keefged4

I'm on my 4th dualsense. Last 3 developed drift. Garbage quality, Everything else I use an 8bitdo Ultimate controller with hall effect sticks.

LordOfChaos

I remember how I first noticed it. I was playing Dragon's Dogma on PS3 and it was L3 to sprint (worst binding possible). L3 is less easy to press when the stick is stuck in the groove, so you're there trying to do L3 with a half tilted stick, and you just know full tilt L3 is going to wear the stick even more.

It's nice to know not all controllers have soft plastic in them, at least. I could always replace my DS4 sticks.

Ah yes, sometimes when the plastic is less than smooth clicking down to run etc is harder with the joystick out to the forward edge

I wonder why they never fix this. Dualsense has been good for me otherwise, good increase in build quality, but it's still my only platform controller that does this, ancient 360 controllers I still use on PC don't, Series controllers don't, Wii U controllers don't, random PC controllers don't, just the PS ones.

dcx4610

Probably a bit of both. All of my controllers are working fine but there has been this huge degradation in quality control in computers and electronics. I don’t know if you can blame COVID, R&D or QC but I’ve experienced a ton of failure or even DOA stuff in recent years than any other time I can remember

Even stuff 5 years ago is going strong but the current stuff is garbage.

mortal

Gold Member
There are definitely some quality control issues with this and past gen.

I've only had my Dualsense for a few months and I'm already experiencing stick drift :messenger_downcast_sweat:
I'm not even gaming particularly frequently either. Just a few hours per session, like 5 days out of the week atm.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I met two guys with drift issues, one with Switch (few years ago) and one on Xbox (this year). Never had any issues, even thou I basically don't have any fighting games

SHA

My launch Xbox series controller still works fine, we used to get the good one with the slim version, but that's not the case this generation, the ds has always reminded me of throwing sticks, from my pov ,looks cheap, that's just my opinion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom