• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the quality of the Gen9 controllers very poor? Or was I just unlucky?

Spyxos

Gold Member

I wanted to play God of War again today but unfortunately I noticed that the digipad up does not work. In addition, the adaptive triggers on the right no longer work. This is the black ps5 controller. The white ps5 controller no longer loads. And I think it had drift.

Both Xbox controllers have drift.

The blue Xbox controller has a broken motor in the middle and it feels strange when playing with vibration.
The black Xbox controller also has a broken vibration motor on the right trigger.

Switch Joy-Con also has drift. I once had 2 of them. Both with drift, but the dog ate the other one. It discharges very quickly. More than an hour of play is not possible

My old controllers all still working(ps4,Xbox one). With the new ones, I think only the black Xbox controller fell on the floor once. At these prices, the quality is just terrible.

drganon

My joy con's definitely have drift, but since I pretty much just use the pro controller with the system docked, I'm willing to ignore it. Both of my ps5 controllers are fine as of now.

Traxtech

Still rocking my launch dualsense with no issues at all and I honestly think it comes down to how aggressive people are since everyone applies different pressure to different buttons and the sticks.

For instance, my mate who has a very aggressive grip style has gone through 4 controllers

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I never had problems in my previous controllers. But for the PS5 my controller got stick drift in FF16 like crazy. I fixed it somehow but it should be sadly only temporary. I have another one so no problems for now but I hope that it will not happen again.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Why nobody mentions the rubber quality of the sticks??(Dualsense)

This shit is tearing apart like nothing else.
I have no stick drift or other issues but the rubber material of the sticks is pure garbage.
This happened to me with a ps4 controller. The rubber came off completely, but otherwise it works as always.

nkarafo

That's why i stuck with the XBOX one gamepad for my PC, despite the Series X having a slightly better D-Pad that i like.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I had an Xbox Series controller die on me. Syncs and turns on but unresponsive. Switch controller issues are well know.

My PS5 controllers have been good, though the battery life sucks.

Last edited:
I don't know what you guys do to your controllers. Do you take care of your stuff?

I can only think of two OEM controllers with issues since the PS2.. I have one DualShock 3 that has a DPAD that hits up at random times but I'm pretty sure it's my original DualShock from like 2007. The other one was the Starfield Series controller that had no impulse triggers out of the box but I returned that one because I didn't care for it in person anyway.

The only other issue I have is with a used DualShock 3 that I bought where the stick has drift but who knows what that controller went through.

JCK75

I had swith Joycon drift on more than one controller.. I purchased a cheap kit and replaced them myself but it was still annoying.
I have about 10 Xbox controllers between the One S/ One X I had and the Series X/Series S I have in my apartment now..
I've never had a single issue with any of them and I kind of rotate them between various devices including PC, Steam Deck and my shield tv.

I have only one PS5 controller for now.. the only issue I have with it is I feel the battery drains so fast compared to Xbox .. but I have a sweet charging stand so it's not a huge deal.

Spyxos

Gold Member
I don't know what you guys do to your controllers. Do you take care of your stuff?
Of course, I take care of the controllers. As I said, only the one Xbox controller has fallen down 1 time. Otherwise, nothing ever happened. They just lie around after usage.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Stop throwing them against the wall OP, da fuq? 😂

No seriously though, just seem unlucky. My launch Dualsense r2 adaptive trigger broke inside, but I have had two other controllers since around launch and they have been fine. My turtle beach corded controller for PC keeps losing connection at the controller port though.

Roberts

Bought my Elite 2 Core in September (or around that time) and it works perfectly even though I have played tons of games on it. Have two XSX controllers since launch and both works perfectly. But I never had problems with controllers - only my old Xbox One controller got a stick drift after 6 years of use.

LordOfChaos

Dualsense is better built for me than DS4, which was a bit creaky and sharp

But they still get the groove rings carved into the joystick sticks, I don't see this at all on the Xbox Series controller or Wii U controller

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
3x DualSense controllers here. From Gen8 I have 4x DS4 and one XBOne Gamepad. Before that I used both a DS3 and a wired X360 gamepad on the PC.

The DualSense are the best and most robust gamepads I have ever used.

My original white DaulSense controllers gave up the ghost on the trigger springs. The revised controllers (new colours) have stronger trigger springs.👍

Edit: I had two DS4's with stick drift. 🫢

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
3 dualsense from which 2 are from day one of the ps5 release no problem on any of them.In fact I think that the only problem I've ever had was with a controller that I intentionally threw on the ground that exploded, I wouldn't put it on the controller build quality though.

Codes 208

Ive gone through more xb1 and ps4 controllers in the same time frame so i honestly think theyre better than last gen’s in quality.
3x DualSense controllers here. From Gen8 I have 4x DS4 and one XBOne Gamepad. Before that I used both a DS3 and a wired X360 gamepad on the PC.

The DualSense are the best and most robust gamepads I have ever used.
Until you try using them to play games exclusive to the epic store and learn they have no native support like they do on steam

One of the few reasons i prefer the xsx controller

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
I just opened this thread recently: Any good PC Controller w/o sticks drift and with Xbox layout?

The funny/sad thing is that I got a black XSX controller like 8 months ago and a new blue one yesterday, just like you.

The black one started drifting around last week, I dismounted it and cleaned it inside, drift improved but there's still a tick "down" when I push the stick up in diagonal direction (even if slightly). Yesterday I got a blue one like yours.

It's good so far and kinda feels like the black one wasn't new at all since it had the box open and the sticks weren't so smooth and buttons so firm as the new one so I hope I rather got scammed by first vendor and blue one lasts.

My Switch Pro Controller was used for Switch and PC extensively for around a year or so and it's still like new, save from use signs and a slightly loosey ZL because it fell from the table like a couple weeks ago. You know, the ones known for "bad build quality" and stuff, the mf seems like built with Nintendium.

Bond007

Well- my own experience.
I have three PS5'S in my house since launch. Mine and two boys- they take care of their things but obviously play more than myself.

Mine- no drift, ever. Regular play and no matter what i tend to be rather gentle on em. I also own the Edge.
Boys each got drift with their controllers due to extended play- not abuse. Replaced one so far, second isnt too bad yet.

XSX- barely gets played in my house, so no drift there YET lol.

Switch- garbage. I've replaced controllers and even had one get drift from sitting in a drawer and going unused for months (Wireless Gamecube)

Ev1L AuRoN

I have three dual sense controllers. The launch model had drift on the left stick with 6 months, the other two are working fine. My friend lost two launch model dual sense on their first year with R2 problem, broken springs. I think the new controllers are more durable, on the same note I had 4 joycons with drift problem.

killatopak

Last controller I had no problems with was the PS3. Every single else after was drift hell.

The worst that happened for my PS3 controller was just the rubber melting on the thumbstick due to lack of care. A thumbstick cover is an easy fix.

Roxkis_ii

Man as much as I love the Dualsense controller, the analog sticks drift so much, the controller might as well play eurbeat when it comes on. I'm about to buy my thrid controller since having my PS5 for 16 months and I baby my controllers

I get a little trigged every time I see the Dualsense controller being the top console accessory.

Last edited:
I remember my Logitech Dual Action was my first controller having drift- when drift was afaik not even a term for that yet. That thing was not even used that much.
Then a rather long pause until my Dual Shock 4 started acting weird a year or two ago. When pressing the left trigger, the left joystick seems to get up as a info. Tried to bridge the lifetime until PS5 with a Made in China knock off from aliexpress. That thing has actually a nice D-pad, but it just lagged from the start - no idea how a controller can even do that while not being blocked by the console, which is just stating it is an unofficial one- and the springs in the joystick kinda worn out out pretty fast. Still had no PS5 so buying a cheap unofficial controller locally this time. Kinda works, but now and then the right joystick just points up for no reason, right a few weeks after getting it. So all PS4 gen controllers were terrible, but sample size was just one official one. While Dualshock3, Move, Navigation (lol), Vita or 360 controller still work perfectly. Only maybe the 360 controller is a bit worn out and physically can't keep the zero position anymore, but no actual drift.
Got my PS5 just recently, no problems so far. But I kinda hate the trigger force feedback. It never feels good to practically manhandle it, as though I intend to break this component. Especially in racing games.

jm89

My launch dualsense started drifting just under 2 years. I've never had drift issues with a controller ever.

My previous dualshocks all took one hell of a beating and still never drifted.

Maybe i got unlucky with the first one, lets see how the second one goes.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

can't speak for anything other than joycons. And Yes I got drift. But Nintendo repaired for free both times I sent joycons in.

Kvally

Banned
I have had for this gen:

• Xbox Series X controller
  • Xbox Elite 2 controller
  • Xbox Elite 2 Core controller
  • PS5 controller
  • PS5 Edge controller
I have had only one issue, and that is the "options" button on the PS5 controller that was getting stuck. Not a big deal though, as I replaced it with a new PS5 controller (which oddly enough, I lost...AT HOME 🤔). My DS EDGE controller is problem free as was my lost PS controller 😂. I need to ask my wife what the hell I did with it.

Kacho

Not on my end. Haven't had any issues with the two Series X controllers I've had since launch.

A lot of my Xbox One controllers developed problems with squeaky triggers and I had to use a lube spray to fix it. Seems they fixed that with the Series controllers.

Never had any problems with stick drift on my Xbox controllers. Not even the joycons. Only on my DS4s.

Bought 2 PS5 contollers at launch. One developed serious drift. The other is still perfect. Luck of the draw I guess.

At least the thumbsticks are made of plastic like Xbox now instead of that shitty rubber they had on the launch PS4 controllers.

I do kind of want to buy one of those PS5 elite controllers with the swappable thumb sticks.

GloveSlap

One of the biggest culprits of stick drift in my experience is clicking the sticks in. Especially clicking them at an angle like for sprinting. Get a back button controller and remap the stick buttons if you have to.

Xbox changing the bumper mechanism from springs to bending plastic was ridiculous though and a huge failure point.

Zuzu

I got my PS5 in January and I think the R1 button has gone a bit sticky. I think it’s got to do with the fact that I’ve played over 90hrs of God of War 2018 and Ragnarok the last few weeks which had me using that button a crazy amount for light weapon attacks. I still think the controller should be more durable though.

petricore

Neo Member
I can only speak for the dual sense... But yes it's shit... Don't get me wrong, i love the dual sense, i honestly think is the best playstation controller ever, and one of the best controller ever made period (to me the adaptive triggers and the vibration are top-notch, and game changer) but... But... I had 2 controller whit my ps5, the bundled one start to drift after a little less than a year, the second one had a defective track pad... I live in Europe so the bundled was changed and for the secondary i got gow Ragnarok... But shit, i never had to change a controller in my entire life as a gamer, this gen i got 2 defective controller!

Last edited:

oji-san

Banned
I guess it's a matter of luck, my Series X launch controller has zero issues.
My launch DualSense had a broken spring in R2 iirc and i fixed it a year ago so no issue there also i had stick drift on L3 but somehow after doing all kind of massages etc i saw in video tutorials it's gone away for now.. so for now my launch DS even with the issues it had is working great.

Spyxos

Gold Member
I guess it's a matter of luck, my Series X launch controller has zero issues.
My launch DualSense had a broken spring in R2 iirc and i fixed it a year ago so no issue there also i had stick drift on L3 but somehow after doing all kind of massages etc i saw in video tutorials it's gone away for now.. so for now my launch DS even with the issues it had is working great.
Is it hard to replace the broken spring? I would like to swap it but I have 2 left hands.

I only have had Switch any substantial amount of time but both pairs of joycons going strong after 1.5 years of pretty heavy use by two people (one child).

I've had the PS5 only a month or so and no problems but jeez I would hope not by that point.

I have never really had any issues with my older controllers either, PSX, PS2, PS3, PS4, 360, etc all still work fine. Well, one of my PS3 controllers did have a battery die or something but not physical issue exactly.

Synless

The switch joy cons are literally a con. Worst fucking Nintendo controller in existence. Shit disconnection issues, shit drift, shit batteries. Fucking piece of shit all around.

I forgot the last quality official controller without flaws.
more features = more failure points, but older controllers seems to have the basics down better than modern ones (buttons, dpads, etc).
light day at work, so let's review old controllers (based on my observations and conversations with others).

Nintendo-Entertainment-System-NES-Controller-FL.jpg

^ basically indestructible.
start/select buttons may become damaged with rough use due to material.

Nintendo-Super-NES-Controller.jpg

^ very strong, but shoulder triggers can wear and start/select buttons may become damaged with rough use due to material.

514hgTLNVZL.jpg

s-l1200.jpg

^ 6-button version has a weaker chassis than the snes controller, but still strong. rough use can lead to dpad wear. A, B, and C buttons can become mushy with heavy use.

N64-Controller-Gray.jpg

^ analog stick is a normal wear item, expansion port locking mechanism on back of controller can get wonky, and A and B buttons can become mushy with heavy use;
otherwise stout.

81ZgRoX00qL.jpg

^ very strong, but dpad and shoulder buttons can get sticky/restricted due to design; start/select may become damaged with rough use due to material; all right hand buttons can become mushy with very heavy use.

61+ABtYhgYL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

^ same as above + analog sticks are not highly durable.

Sega-Saturn-Controller-Mk-I-NA-FL.jpg

^ perhaps the weakest chassis thus far, and buttons, particularly the shoulder buttons, tend to become mushy with heavy use; dpad can develop issues.

81fTbgOWz4L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

^ dont know much about this one. looks solid, but also a fingerprint magnet.

537524-240.jpg

^ big and solid, but analog stick can develop issues and back triggers can wear (squeaky, fail to register).

ehh this list is getting too long.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Sadly controllers are more and more shit. Just give us fucking hall effect sticks finally, there are controllers which are cheaper than OEM ones and don't have drift or at least let us connect these controllers to consoles

LostDonkey

Nope they fucking suck.

I've had 3 PS5 controllers. 1 with drift and 2 with dead triggers. Now I have a black one going strong for 7 months.

2 Series X controllers. First one the trigger became sticky and would not release so I sent it off to MS and they sent me a brand new one.

My cheap imitation Xbox controller for PC I've had for about 5 years still going strong.

Muffdraul

After I got my Xbox Series X I bought a couple custom controllers from that MS website where you can pick your colors for every component. The first one I bought was a piece of crap, the R bumper broke after maybe a week. I sent it back and ordered another one... same fucking thing. I shrugged and settled for the standard controller that came in the box... still using it now over a year later.

No complaints with my Dualsense controllers, other than the battery life being ridiculously sucky. I have the one that came with the console and a spare so I always have one charged and ready.

I've always heard about joy con drift being a huge problem, it happens to me once in a blue moon. The Switch Pro controller is probably the best controller this gen, IMO. Total workhorse, I love it.

Valonquar

My launch PS5 controller has gotten drift on left stick. I keep meaning to take it apart and see if cleaning helps, but I have 2 more controllers and I'm lazy.

Rockondevil

Been gaming for at least a few decades and never had a controller issue outside of thumb sticks wearing out and needing to be swapped out, which is expected and easy to fix.

I care for my things and perhaps it’s a weird brain thing but I don’t even leave them laying face down on the sticks as I worry it could lead to drift.

Top Bottom