• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the quality of the Gen9 controllers very poor? Or was I just unlucky?

Banjo64

cumsessed
Elite 2 broke for me after 2 years and 6 months (luckily I had a 3 year insurance policy that paid out in full).

PS5 pad had drift after 50 hours of gameplay, Sony paid for my return/shipping and sent me a new one for free within a couple of days.

Yeah, they’re all getting worse and worse because they produce them for peanuts and most people will buy a new one for £70 rather than kick up a fuss.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Got my dualsense since the day 1 ps5 released and I had to replace r2 spring when Returnal broke it.
No right stick is starting to drift but that in ff16 which got no deadzones. Pretty ok imo

ssringo

I dunno about the quality being poor but they sure aren't as tough as they used to be. Likely due to all the new tech inside.

Beechos

Day 1 controllers here too no issues for series and ps5. Also got 2 elite series 2 controller no issues either.

Last edited:

Banned
I never had drift issues on Xbox controllers, but multiple PS4 and PS5 controllers have drift. all my Joycons have drift, and the LB button of one of my Xbox One controllers broke

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I never had drift issues on Xbox controllers, but multiple PS4 and PS5 controllers have drift. all my Joycons have drift, and the LB button of one of my Xbox One controllers broke
They use literally the save analogs. It’s just a chance

It sucks and they are generally garbage.

Switch joy cons drift
PS5 haptics breakdown easily and also suffer from drift and charging issues
Xbox controllers have bumpers sticking and also drift.

Overall the WORST generation for controllers. And yet I’ll constantly see Dual Shock 5 on the top of best controllers ever lists, smh

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I had an Xbox Series controller die on me. Syncs and turns on but unresponsive. Switch controller issues are well know.

My PS5 controllers have been good, though the battery life sucks.
That's about how I'd sum it up. XBOX controls would help to have replaceable batteries but I don't think this is a common occurrence. I've been using 3rd-party controls for Switch (PowerA Pro, Hori Pads instead of the JoyCons) since the day I purchased them. My wife's JoyCons started drifting after 3-months and I didn't want the same to happen; so I'll only use the brand cons for two player. Haven't played much PS5 but my experience with the 4 controls has always been paranoidly keeping them connecting to a longer charge cable. Battery never lasts long enough and I figured that wouldn't be fixed for 5.

Weird that OP mentions drift with Series S and PS5? Those controls aren't that fragile until you're really giving them a beating. Switch drift doesn't have much reason. You could be playing something as basic as ToTK and get drift.

oji-san

Banned
Is it hard to replace the broken spring? I would like to swap it but I have 2 left hands.
It's not that hard, but a little frustrating.
You need to buy the springs, i got a pack of 10 from AliExpress for like 1 or 2 bucks.
Then open the DualSense, and the frustrating part is to remove the broken spring and replace with the new one, as it need to be placed in certain way which is a bit hard and took me about 20 minutes until i got it right.
I think i used this video:

No issues with dual sense for ps5. Have two controllers I swap back and forth. 3 ps4 controllers all got drift (thanks a lot dying light and your run using the right stick pushed in).

Switch had 1 joycon drift the other sticks wouldn't register being pushed in. Nintendo replaced both for free.

Ps3 controllers no longer work battery dead and have slimey wet sticks (it's weird) had to get after market ds3s getting officla ones are too pricey.

Ps2 controller still works.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Everything is getting cheaper. Company execs look for every cost cutting measure.
If someone tells them a little plastic piece is as good as an actual metal spring and will save 50 cents every controller sold they start seeing more zeros in their bonus.

I don't think it's how hard a thumbstick is pressed because I'm sure they have stoppers every direction but at the same time I must be fortunate as I've never had any brand controller get drift.

Solidus_T

I never had a single controller break nor have I experienced drift until this gen - and I have anecdotes for all 3, Playstation 5, Switch, and Xbox Series controllers that I have used that all had drift. It is probably a mixture of poorer parts this gen and you being unlucky.

I've generally had good luck with my controllers. Zero issues between my Sega and Sony controllers, but I did have two Xbox 360 controllers that developed stick drift over time.

My various Xbox One and Series controllers have been good.

My Elite S2 has had a few issues. Both bumper buttons needed fixing for either not registering or double-registering. And one of the rear paddles has to be pressed pretty hard to register. All fixable, but really unacceptable for a supposed "Pro" controller. I love and hate this thing.

RNG

My 1st Dualsense controller had stick drift on the left stick that I had at launch with the PS5. My 2nd one that I replaced it with now has stick drift on the right stick and it's been a little under a year now (the 2nd one is also the updated model ver. too). The quality control on them sucks.

My Dualshock 4 ver.2 controllers have no issues at all. My launch Dualshock 4 ver.1 controller had a sticky R1 button.

Last edited:

Comandr

Have two launch dualsense controllers. One is my primary controller on pc and the other for ps5. Absolutely no issues with them. They look and operate just as good as the day I got them. Hundreds of hours on both. Easily my favorite wireless controller. I loved the DualShock 4 but the dualsense is just 😘 👌

bender

What time is it?
I had a horrible run of luck with 360 controllers and stick drift. Not many issues since.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Went through a lot of DS4 controllers. Lots of d-pad or analog drift. One of them also has a messed up R2 button.

Dualsense has been fantastic other than the little spring breaking. It was easy to replace myself luckily.

Haven't had any issues with my Series controller yet, but I don't use it nearly as much.

I have a launch DualSense that I bought that got drift in the left stick. On Switch both my joycons have drift on each analogue, Pro controller has drift on the left stick.

Pelao

I've been rocking my DualSense controllers for over two years, Series X controllers for over a year, and joycons and Switch Pro Controllers for six years, all without any problems. No drift or defects. Guess I'm just lucky?

Soodanim

Gold Member
Why nobody mentions the rubber quality of the sticks??(Dualsense)

This shit is tearing apart like nothing else.
I have no stick drift or other issues but the rubber material of the sticks is pure garbage.
I haven't used a controller without caps for the analog sticks in 3 generations. Mostly because rubber melt, but reading about early DS4 crumbling confirmed it. Caps for life now.
But they still get the groove rings carved into the joystick sticks, I don't see this at all on the Xbox Series controller or Wii U controller
I don't see many people talk about the rings, but I've been getting this since DS3. I don't know if it's from heated play sessions or inevitable friction.
Until you try using them to play games exclusive to the epic store and learn they have no native support like they do on steam

One of the few reasons i prefer the xsx controller
DS4Windows (free) or ReWASD (paid) have you covered.
The worst that happened for my PS3 controller was just the rubber melting on the thumbstick due to lack of care. A thumbstick cover is an easy fix.
Is that a lack of care? Certain types of rubber will revert back to their natural state over time, and apparently there's nothing you can do to stop it once it starts. Assuming you mean where the rubber goes sticky and not that you left your DS3 on your fireplace.

I assumed it was because of sweaty hands and natural oils, but maybe it's also from the heat of a few summers in the loft (attic).

I've returned mice because of soft touch rubber that I know is going to degrade and become unusable sooner or later.

Banned
They use literally the save analogs. It’s just a chance

they don't use the same. Xbox controllers use a different model (manufacturer?) than PS controllers, which can make a difference.

just because all car tires are round and made from rubber doesn't mean they're all the same either for example. they all work with the same principle but different manufacturers and models will naturally have quality.

Last edited:

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
I've bought my dual sense a year ago and it's immediately has a drift problem. Plus battery life is not good. I can say it doesn't lived up to expectations. Thinking about 8bit do wireless.

older controllers seems to have the basics down better than modern ones
Thanks for reminding. I have to add to my former post: The Master System controller was my first controller which had problems. Iirc the D-pad stopped working reliably and you had to clean the "debris" on the contacts or something to fix it. Ergonomics was anyway bizarre, but that thing was garbage.

This is the first generation I’ve had to repair drift in controllers. (Switch, PS5)

Also, Xbox controllers are clicky as fuck and weightless in a way that makes them feel hollow and cheap.

Hudo

I agree. The overall build quality has declined quite drastically. I feel that Sony peaked with the PS2 in terms of build quality. The controllers still work to this day without issues and you can beat people to death with them and they still work. Same with the original Xbox Duke controller (which I used in a actual fight). Xbox 360 controllers were also fairly solid. Nintendo's stuff is a bit hit and miss for me. I think the Switch Joycons and the Pro Controller are worse than the Wii U Pro controller, which are better than the Wii Stuff, even though the Wii Motes are solid as well and still work. Gamecube is the same as PS2 in terms of build quality. N64... I mean, everyone I know has the same issue with these controllers as I do: The analog stick spring has worn out, so it's pretty much unusable. And SNES as well as NES controllers are so simple that it's pretty hard to destroy them. On the handheld side, I actually don't have any issues there at all. I guess the PS Vita was the last good piece quality Sony hardware they released.

Both my PS4 and PS5 first controllers have left thumbstick wear and it fell apart. I could understand it being an issue on PS4 as it was still new but how they didnt solve the matirial issue all these years later baffles me. XSX controller on the other hand is sturdy as hell.

I feel like they aren’t as durable as they used to be.
When I use the controllers myself it’s ok, a Mario kart or fifa session with friends and my controllers started drifting or having loose sticks.

I use my Series S controller for fighting games and racing games across PC and Xbox. I put them through one hell of a beating and they still have no issues. The build quality feels better than any other controller I have owned. The directional pad is perfection.

PS3 and PS4 controllers are trash in build quality compared to Dualshock 1 and 2. I imagine PS5 one is trash as well. I say this from experience of destroying the plastic padding for buttons inside of most of these controllers and sometimes replacing them.

Last edited:

Banned
I use my Series S controller for fighting games and racing games across PC and Xbox. I put them through one hell of a beating and they still have no issues. The build quality feels better than any other controller I have owned. The directional pad is perfection.

PS3 and PS4 controllers are trash in build quality compared to Dualshock 1 and 2. I imagine PS5 one is trash as well.

the downgrade from PS2 to PS3 was extreme imo.

the PS5 controller feels more premium than the last 2 gens tho.
but the Dpad is the worst yet for Sony imo. it's extremely mushy.

poodaddy

Two PSV controllers and six Series controllers, have had zero issues. In fact, I've been blown away at the quality this gen over last gen, in which I had two bad PS4 controllers and one bad One controller. Seems like a solid upgrade on all fronts to me. Only controller I still have issues with semi regularly is the Joycon, thank goodness Nintendo repairs them for free now, though it takes like six weeks to get them back.

My DualSense had connection issues quite some time ago with the usb-c connector prompting me to pick up a charger. And now recently it developed severe drift either slowly to the right or very fast to the left in the right stick. Oddly enough I can stop it when applying light pressure when pressing down on it. Almost certain it's from having to press R3 in so many damn times in games. Also never had stick drift before till now.

Going to try some contact cleaner soon or hope for a sale. Playing Doom Eternal with all the jumps with that bad of stick drift nearly made me smash that lil fucker right into the wall. :messenger_loudly_crying:

I had a bunch of problems last gen with Xbox One controllers. Face buttons getting stuck/unresponsive and D-pads doing double inputs. I had to open them up and fix them. Had less problems with the WiiU Pro controllers. Have two of them but one has a slightly sticky A button that isn’t really a problem anymore after being broken in.

This gen I’ve had no problems with the Series X controllers I have, luckily.
My Switch Pro controller however has been really weird while playing Zelda. The gyro aiming specifically for the Bow just stops working sometimes randomly. Don’t know why because it works fine in Metroid Prime Remastered, so maybe it’s a software-side thing? I don’t know but it’s annoying.

mopspear

My Xbox Controller plastic clicks on the left side and it's really annoying. My PS5 controller dies super quick unless I turn rumble off and then it lasts a reasonable amount of time. No complaints about the Switch Pro controller. By the way, I don't know what kind of Xbox controller I have, but it looks like the one in the picture. I honestly don't know what console it's for as I bought it for PC games.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Nope, the controllers are all junk regardless of how premium they portray them.

If the sticks don’t have Hall effect switches, I’m not buying it.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Also, Xbox controllers are clicky as fuck and weightless in a way that makes them feel hollow and cheap.
This is right on the money.

Had a PS5 first (and no Xbox One), but the first time I held my controller that came with the Series X I was thinking it might have been a cheap knockoff.

Nope, that's just how those controllers are.

mdkirby

Feels like it. My series x controller has drift. I have drift in a white and red dual sense, and another white one that won’t boot. The only controllers I have that are working are the elite and the dual sense edge. So at least if they can drift I can replace the sticks.

calistan

Five series X controllers and zero issues, I just keep buying extras because of the special editions. I never had any problems with Xbox One controllers either, one that came with the console and another with the Oculus Rift.

Switch joycons, though - they are flimsy, I had to send back my originals twice because they developed a weird metallic ping when rotating the sticks. I had multiple Xbox 360 controllers that developed drift because they got sticky and I’d have to nudge the stick back to the centre. That seemed to be standard.

One 360 pad I threw lightly on the floor in a Halo 3 rage and a rumble motor burst out and flew across the room. The new ones seem really solid and reliable to me, you could pilot a deep sea submarine with one.

LordOfChaos

I don't see many people talk about the rings, but I've been getting this since DS3. I don't know if it's from heated play sessions or inevitable friction.

Its literally only my PS controllers that do this, I checked everything else. I guess the went for a softer material. Sometimes one area of the groove is a bit rougher and causes resistance moving in a circle, but they smooth out and it's generally not a problem, but it is unnerving carving into the joystick like a tree lol.

I wonder what it's like for someone who games a lot more than me (I only had 700 hours on PS4)

Last edited:

calistan

My left Joy-Con does the same.
Mine did that after about six months, left one also, so I sent it back to Nintendo and they sent it back a few weeks later saying no issue could be found. So I sent it back again and they actually fixed it, but it meant the console was unusable for about three months.

Top Bottom