• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there a game that just epitomizes everything that's wrong with gaming for you?

jtb

Banned
Dragon Age 2
Mass Effect 2
Sim City

in short, just fuck off EA. I liked you for around a year and now you're back to being shit. and fuck Diablo III also.

Moff

this year, tomb raider

in general, pretty much call of duty and assassins creed. boring and shallow gameplay for good looking, cinematic experiences.

There have been plenty disappointing sequels in recent years, but I don't think this one can be beaten. It's such a complete package of regurgitated garbage.
Seriously sad stuff, and to think that it came from the people who have previously revived the franchise and turned it into the best it's ever been.
If I have a gaming nightmare, it's this template being applied to the new Mirror's Edge.

Kerub

Banned
Dead Island

- Full of (gamebreaking) bugs
- Repetitive gameplay
- Lazy porting
- No/bad quality check (stuff like trees floating in the air instead of attached to ground)
- Broken gameplay (kicking = god mode)
- Misleading trailer
- Constant re-use of assets (sewer level that just loops)
- Stupid stuff like releasing the Dev Build instead of the normal game
- Feminist Whore

I could go on... Still finished the game. I'll never get those 20 hours back.

I'm not sure what you mean with this one, I don't remember any feminist whores in Dead Island.

Can you explain?

Rubius

Tomb Raider.
One of my favorite game of the year so far.
I'm not sure what you mean with this one, I don't remember any feminist whores in Dead Island.

Can you explain?

It was a Development name for a skill that would increase damage on male zombies.
It was never in the game except in small fragment.
Some groups got offended by that and the team issued an apology. I dont see what the whole fuss is about.

Loxley

Ryse, I know the game isn't out yet, but just look at this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8RClbchIHY

My fucking God, this makes half the answers in this thread look laughable by comparison. "The game is not linear or one long QTE because you have to press a whole button to initiate an execution!". His line about "We didn't want to take control away from the player" is hilarious because he then goes on to show how the player has absolute-minimal control over what happens during those "not-meant-to-be-cinematic" executions.

This reminds me of Blizzard's April Fools joke from a few years back where they showed an 8-bit version of one of the raids in World of Warcraft. One of the bullet-points was "Move in anyone of eight unique directions!". I feel that applies to Ryse.

Ugh.

Mory Dunz

Asura's Wrath, 100%.

I liked Uncharted 2 a lot, but I can't deny Amir0x's got very good points. Unfortunately UC3 only took these flaws and made them even worse, and it was too much for me then. Very disappointing. Haven't played The Last of Us yet but I hear it's a total 180 from that kind of game, so I'm hopeful.

Came here to post this. And Indigo Prophecy.

I'll add God of War 2 to that list (GoW3 seems even worse). The first one was an above average button-smashing hack-and-slash action game (though I still hated the QTEs), but it became so obnoxious and insufferable. Worse, it set the tone for that kind of action games. Barf. And I agree with those saying Ryse, if the trailer is anything to go by. Ugh and double-ugh. Same with everything Quantic Dream's ever done.

Oh, adding Xenoblade Chronicles to that list too. Most disappointing game of 2012 for me. Shitty boring side-quests, collect-a-thons, awful auto-battle system with stupid AI party members, a stupid and useless crafting system, annoying voices you can't turn off, flat and boring characters, slow and clunky menus, gah. Can't bring myself to keep playing it.

So....could I have it?

I really don't want to pay $100.

One of my favorite game of the year so far.
Let me guess - you were never a fan of the previous Tomb Raiders?

Because the game sure as hell wasn't made for fans of the series. It was made for fans of Uncharted, or those who hadn't yet played Uncharted.

Nocturno999

My choice is not exactly of what was wrong with gaming today, but back then I thought that Final Fantasy XI was pure evil and the antithesis of a fun game.

Rubius

So....could I have it?

I really don't want to pay $100.

DAMN. I never even opened mine so far. Did they printed like 1000 or what? Its 175 on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_no...e+Chronicles&rh=i:aps,k:+Xenoblade+Chronicles

Because the game sure as hell wasn't made for fans of the series. It was made for fans of Uncharted, or those who hadn't yet played Uncharted.

Never played a single Tomb Raider in fact. I was a Nintendo guy until the Xbox.

Also, I really dont understand how people can say really good 8-9 or even 10/10 games because they didnt like them.
You want what is wrong with this gen?
How about a 5 hour long FPS with 11 level and repetitive game play who is a quick 5 month in development cash in?
Battleship-Xbox-360-_.jpg

THIS is bad. Not Dark Soul, not Tomb Raider, not Zelda, Not Mario.

Marjorine

Threads like these depress me, because games I love are always mentioned.

Same. I had a good time with Tomb Raider and Uncharted.

I will agree with the Assassin's Creed 3 folks, though. That series has gotten so bloated and confused that it is no longer enjoyable. The first one was rough, but I enjoyed it. The second was a ton of fun. I didn't play the two offshoots in between 2 and 3, but man, 3 sucked. I couldn't even finish it. Everything was so scripted and awful. The 3 hour long "intro" section was ridiculous.

It was just a bad, bad game.

Kangi

God of War... III, I guess? Repititive gameplay, refuge-in-audacity-type dudebro violence, QTE after QTE, and all sorts of self-glorified spiel that just makes you hate the main character. Pretty much the exact opposite of what I look for in a game.

Pimpbaa

Any game where gameplay takes a back seat to narrative (QTEs and excessive cutscenes). I guess the biggest offender is Heavy Rain.

T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member
Halo 4, Diablo 3, SimCity, Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3 Ending, and Assassin's Creed 3

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Metal Gear Solid 4
any David Cage game

Just make a movie already, holy shit

Vashetti

Banned
Far Cry 3

It's the epitome of a Ubisoft game.

It gives you the impression of depth by giving you hundreds of shit to collect with no reason or reward behind it.

The main character also has the personality of a dry sponge.

andymuza

Neo Member
Every 1st person shooter in the past few years.

They have been done to death and are usually all the same.
Time for something different.

mkenyon

Banned
Far Cry 3 and Final Fantasy.

Ahh thanks for this.

I'll add Uncharted and God of War to my list as well.

Now that I've thought about it, probably every Zynga game ever.

Wait to play, pay to win, all that microtransaction bullshit incessantly stopping you from having fun at every second.

Those types of F2P games definitely epitomize everything wrong with gaming in the last few years.

Amir0x

Banned
You know, I completely agree with this. Sometimes it's a bit scary to post stuff like this, though :p I obviously by no means think these games shouldn't be made or anything - just please don't push the industry as a whole in that direction.

Yeah, I'm like you - I don't mind the games are made, but the problem is when their influence begins to corrupt things I do love that were unique and amazing with their initial core concept. Tomb Raider went out of its way to ape things from Uncharted, and in the process destroyed everything that made that series unique and great.

I could ignore an Uncharted game not being for me; plenty of games like that. It's harder to ignore when someone comes in and destroys a series you were always a fan of and turns it into something else entirely.

Shit, as much as I dumped on DmC, it at least tried to maintain the basic heart of what the series is about. Tomb Raider just gave no fucks at all.

T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member
Every 1st person shooter in the past few years.

They have been done to death and are usually all the same.
Time for something different.

Please don't include Metro Last Light (PC) into your list.

You should also play Call of Juarez: Gunslinger as well. (seriously)

pantsmith

Maybe Borderlands (its still a good game, though)

FPS (too many of those)
+ XP bars (too many of those)
+ loot for loots sake (ugh)
+ level scaling (super ugh)
+ all storytelling in audiologs and cutscenes (uuuuuuuuugh)
+ "the cake is a lie" (which is funny on its own) quoting fanbase (*shoots self in head*)

Haunted

Probably the latest ios game of the week with shitty microtransactions. Something like all the bravest.

Yeah, I'm like you - I don't mind the games are made, but the problem is when their influence begins to corrupt things I do love that were unique and amazing with their initial core concept. Tomb Raider went out of its way to ape things from Uncharted, and in the process destroyed everything that made that series unique and great.

I could ignore an Uncharted game not being for me; plenty of games like that. It's harder to ignore when someone comes in and destroys a series you were always a fan of and turns it into something else entirely.

Shit, as much as I dumped on DmC, it at least tried to maintain the basic heart of what the series is about. Tomb Raider just gave no fucks at all.
Well said.

I do like both Tomb Raider Uncharted, but I don't need either series to converge towards the other; results ultimately turn out like the above. Publishers forcing developers to ruin established IPs by having them chase after the big money maker du jour are a sad and troublesome thing. :/

Rubius

Yeah, that makes sense. I'm sure you had a great time with it then.

This isn't a thread to just list bad games. Its to showcase games that epitomize whats wrong in gaming to you.

Really? You think that Tomb Raider is the epitome of the badness in gaming right now? Damn. A multi year in devellopement game with a long campaign, side quests objective, with rich visual and story is the worst of the worst?
You might not like it, but damn. I hated FFIV but I would never say that its the worst game ever or even worst, the game that represent everything that is wrong with the industry this gen.
I can understand if the game is a bad port for cash in, or if it rely on DLC heavily, or even physical objects/DLC that you have to buy at 20$ a pop.
But Triple A titles that are pretty much all universally acclaimed are the symbol of what is wrong with the industry?
I saw Uncharted mentioned more than COD or even Assassin Creed. And this make me sad, at least choose somewhat controversial games...

Maybe Borderlands (its still a good game, though)

FPS (too many of those)
+ XP bars (too many of those)
+ loot for loots sake (ugh)
+ level scaling (super ugh)
+ all storytelling in audiologs and cutscenes (uuuuuuuuugh)
+ "the cake is a lie" (which is funny on its own) quoting fanbase (*shoots self in head*)

Borderland was MADE for Loot, it was not made for the story or what ever. The whole point of the game is to loot stuff and have a funny over the top atmosphere.
Level scaling on happen in DLC, if you go back to the first region of the game, you will be like 50 level over the guys...

Hating Borderland over Loot is like hating Minecraft over Mining and Crafting.

mkenyon

Banned
Really? You think that Tomb Raider is the epitome of the badness in gaming right now? Damn. A multi year in devellopement game with a long campaign, side quests objective, with rich visual and story is the worst of the worst?
You might not like it, but damn. I hated FFIV but I would never say that its the worst game ever or even worst, the game that represent everything that is wrong with the industry this gen.
I can understand if the game is a bad port for cash in, or if it rely on DLC heavily, or even physical objects/DLC that you have to buy at 20$ a pop.
But Triple A titles that are pretty much all universally acclaimed are the symbol of what is wrong with the industry?
I saw Uncharted mentioned more than COD or even Assassin Creed. And this make me sad, at least choose somewhat controversial games...
Is there a game that just epitomizes everything that's wrong with gaming for you?

Playing DLC Quest made me realise what is wrong with gaming today, despite being a fun-short game to play. I highly recommend people check it out.

Top Bottom