• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there a game that just epitomizes everything that's wrong with gaming for you?

I wish people posting things like Uncharted and TLoU would explain why.

While I can't say I agree, but the AI in TLOU might be some of the worst, and the ally character breaking immersion might be the most noticable I have seen in a game in a long time. Nothing like them saying to be quiet and hidden, even though they are running very loudly in front of the enemy.

Games that have average gameplay as a result of their intense focus on story, dialog and endless cutscenes to try to make me "feel" something and deliver a "cinematic experience". So basically The Last of Us, Heavy Rain, Alan Wake, Killer 7, Mass Effect, Resident Evil 6 and too many RPGs to list here.

Also dudebro military shooters. CoD and Gears of War to be more specific.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Asura's Wrath, 100%.

I liked Uncharted 2 a lot, but I can't deny Amir0x's got very good points. Unfortunately UC3 only took these flaws and made them even worse, and it was too much for me then. Very disappointing. Haven't played The Last of Us yet but I hear it's a total 180 from that kind of game, so I'm hopeful.
Heavy Rain.
Came here to post this. And Indigo Prophecy.

I'll add God of War 2 to that list (GoW3 seems even worse). The first one was an above average button-smashing hack-and-slash action game (though I still hated the QTEs), but it became so obnoxious and insufferable. Worse, it set the tone for that kind of action games. Barf. And I agree with those saying Ryse, if the trailer is anything to go by. Ugh and double-ugh. Same with everything Quantic Dream's ever done.

Oh, adding Xenoblade Chronicles to that list too. Most disappointing game of 2012 for me. Shitty boring side-quests, collect-a-thons, awful auto-battle system with stupid AI party members, a stupid and useless crafting system, annoying voices you can't turn off, flat and boring characters, slow and clunky menus, gah. Can't bring myself to keep playing it.

Hystzen

Assassins Creed 3 is perfect really

300+ people making 1 game that is still buggy as fuck and dull
Hand holding gameplay
scripted linear missions still somehow bullshit (them chases)
plot writers thinking they clever then they are

i enjoyed AC games until this one where now pushed me so far that have zero interest in even replaying the old games or future titles

If we're going old-school, I totally agree with anyone who says Myst killed off the adventure genre

Goodbye well-written descriptions, interesting characters, pixel art that stands the test of time and a good range of puzzles. Hello ugly early 3D empty worlds with dozens of convoluted IQ test questions instead of a story.

gioGAF

Diablo 3

Complete disregard for the series traditions and history in attempt to create a cash cow. And this is after teasing us for years. Most of the extra time probably went to reworking the combat system a dozen times and creating the infrastructure for the bull shit RMAH.

Yeah this. Also things like "Dead Space 3" are right up there. [Edit: SimCity deserves to be mentioned as well, being one of the best of the worst.]

I really hate the way this industry is set up. Why must they devalue my Day 1 purchase? I went from being a day 1 buyer of software to someone who NEVER buys software on launch. Full cost purchases should get you something, the only thing they get me now is early access to an essentially incomplete game.

GOTY / Ultimate editions and Steam / PS+ sales for life!

Mupod

Dead Space 3
Microtransactions.
Campaign Co-op.

I hated a lot of shit about Dead Space 3 but the derelict ship part was really good, and I can't take that away from it. And the second half, I switched to co-op so it was still enjoyable in the same way as watching a cheesy sci-fi horror movie with a friend is. The way the guns just turned into Borderlands-tier broken was awful though.

I know I'll probably catch shit for saying this but I think Slender: The Arrival is a big summary of what I hate with indie horror games right now. I understand the benefits of this kind of game for smaller devs who might not have resources for extensive NPC modeling or in-depth combat balancing, but does every indie horror game have to be the first person run-from-everything deal? When's this fad gonna stop? I want more Zombi U and less of whatever Outlast is trying to be. I can't quite figure out which side Routine is supposed to be on, but at least it's going the permadeath route so you can't super meat boy trial and error your way through everything.

Just about every Indie game. Give me good visuals.

image.php

Bayonetta.

I would be royally embarrassed if anyone I know in real life knew that I played that game.

Find me one person that would find this embarrassing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQVjSjvVPag

Garibaldi

Anyone who says TLoU is crazy. Not saying you can't dislike it, but friend, you crazy.

I have many games I don't personally like, but since there is plenty I do like I don't really let the chaff bother me.

Larson

Banned
Ryse

From what i have seen, Ryse is like the best example of how game should not be. I don't have any problems with scripted games, and Uncharted 2 is one of my favorite games, but it looks like many companies tries to make the games more cinematic and borrowing elements from Naughty Dog, when very few companies can match what they are doing.

When companies fail to make cinematic games, they instead end up like a "one step forward to trigger scripted event" kind of game. Ryse looked like a horrible game in my opinion.

Games that have average gameplay as a result of their intense focus on story, dialog and endless cutscenes to try to make me "feel" something and deliver a "cinematic experience". So basically The Last of Us, Heavy Rain, Alan Wake, Killer 7, Mass Effect, Resident Evil 6 and too many RPGs to list here.

Also dudebro military shooters. CoD and Gears of War to be more specific.

Pretty much this. Anything that is described as delivering cinematic experiences. I loved uncharted 2 at the time but looking back, while having great cut scenes the game is nothing special.

Talamius

SimCity 2013. Easily.

Horrendous as the DRM...errrr...."cloud simulation" was, it was not even the worst of the package. The fundamental game suffered from being dumbed down to Facebook game levels and, despite that, still managed to be completely broken. Then, to twist the knife, EA sticks advertising DLC in.

Bad DRM, horrible day 1 quality, and advertising. That's pretty much the unholy trinity of what's wrong with gaming.

pa22word

BioShock Infinite. It's a game with really mediocre, poorly designed gameplay that's completely at odd with its narrative to the point it's staggering. The narrative doesn't work, and can't make up its mind whether or not it wants to be a period piece or some scifi movie.The level design is filled with scripted bullshit with little to no room for emergent play.

The frightening thing is, that because of reviewers' insecurity it gets elevated to "greatest of all time" level, and thus they are directly sending the message that "this is how to do it". It paints a scary picture as to how the medium is going to evolve from here, tbqh.

Diablo 3 and SimCity are obvious answers.

I'd also add:

Final Fantasy XIII
Mass Effect 2
Zelda: Skyward Sword
Splinter Cell: Conviction

While I liked FF13 and Zelda: SS...and greatly enjoyed ME2...all four of these games (and likely some other big games) all have the following problem: they are all very dumbed down and/or hand-holdy compared to earlier games in their respective series. Many developers are treating gamers like they're 5 years old.

Ryse is another good example (based on the trailer) of a game that highlights many things wrong with gaming. It and many other games are all flash/style and no substance. The "flash" could be fancy QTE's, stylish art direction, cinematic setpieces, "deep" characters, humor, etc...but strip the flash away and you're left with a base game with mediocre to poor gameplay.

Glass Rebel

It's funny how I hate most things Uncharted 2 does but still liked the game itself well enough. I guess I'm more bothered by the cheap imitations. I might appreciate the cinematic, presentation-over-gameplay action genre more if more developers tried a different route with their AAA games.

RM8

Uncharted 2: Everything must be spelled out. ledges must be super obvious, no exploration or effort required to find where to go next. Platforming plays itself, you might as well not even interact with it at all with how basic and simple it is. You basically have to actively try to kill yourself on purpose for there to be any chance of death. The windows for jump timing are so ridiculously massive as to be pointless. There is no tension when ledges or windows or whatever break, because you know you're never in any danger for your character; it's all scripted nonsense meant to look cool, not actually play cool.
You know, I completely agree with this. Sometimes it's a bit scary to post stuff like this, though :p I obviously by no means think these games shouldn't be made or anything - just please don't push the industry as a whole in that direction.

Assassins Creed 3 is perfect really

300+ people making 1 game that is still buggy as fuck and dull
Hand holding gameplay
scripted linear missions still somehow bullshit (them chases)
plot writers thinking they clever then they are

i enjoyed AC games until this one where now pushed me so far that have zero interest in even replaying the old games or future titles

Was going to post Assassin's Creed 3 too. Climbing just goes by itself. Nearly automated. Same goes for the combat. When I had to fight, I had now idea how to. Was surrounded by 5 guys and just pushed random buttons to kill them like a boss. That was in the hardest difficulty setting. Really, the game plays itself. Shaked my head and uninstalled.

I don't think there's a single game for me -- it would have to combine the worst of the gross F2P money grab tactics with the cliche military dudebro power fantasy setting (and throw in always-online DRM for good measure). AFAIK those tend not to intersect often. But I'm sure it will be done!

Fruitster

Resident Evil 6 and Dead Space 3. The progression (if you can call it that) of Dead Space 1 to DS3 and Resi 4 to 6 is a sad thing to see.

BibiMaghoo

In a way, Spec Ops: The line, though that isn't a derogatory statement towards the game itself, which I enjoyed. More a statement about how we play games, and how we expect certain things from them, without really thinking about it.

Game Spoiler
Killing my buddy before even thinking about hitting that button hit me hard :(

In regards to games that are actually shit, I would say Final Fantasy XIII. So much style it oozes from the game case, very little actual substance beyond that.

livestOne

Ninja Gaiden 3, compare the first game (2004) to what is now with NG 3, tedious and streamlined press a to awesome crap

Flipyap

Tomb Raider

* Removed the game's signature play-style (optional tombs that are now the size of rooms) and chose to focus on violence as the core gameplay.
* Added gruesome execution animations. Because how are we supposed to sympathize with a character if we're not plunging pick-axes into skulls?
* Platforming has been simplified to the point of being almost fully automated.
* Shoe-horned multiplayer nobody asked for.
* Shoe-horned crafting and skill systems.
* Focus on trial and error QTEs to add cinematic flair and tension.
* Overuse of the running-away-as-everything-falls-apart-around you schtick.
* All DLC is multiplayer versus content nobody asked for.

Its a gorgeous, immaculately crafted set of environments, but in terms of gameplay its less than mediocre. In terms of Tomb Raider gameplay its criminal.

I know plenty of people love it, but I can only imagine what they'd say if one of their favorite single player series got the same treatment.
There have been plenty disappointing sequels in recent years, but I don't think this one can be beaten. It's such a complete package of regurgitated garbage.
Seriously sad stuff, and to think that it came from the people who have previously revived the franchise and turned it into the best it's ever been.

Assassins creed for me too.

There was a point when I was playing Brotherhood and I fucked up the mission. Last time I had restarted I had to do the "cinematic walk" "gameplay" bit again. So I figured I would just get killed and hopefully start from a check point or something. Surrounded by like 11 hostile guys I let go of my controller.

And watched as they fumbled around for an eternity "trying" to kill me but never really doing so. My character would stand there like an idiot, the enemies would dance around with their scripted animations and hit me once then back away for several seconds. They would do it one at a time. And often my health would just recharge before they did any permanent damage. It just went on for fucking ever and ever.

I hadnt really been enjoying the Press A for Awesome gameplay till then but was determined to just finish the game and never come back to the series. That just made me quit for good. The game didnt really need me so why bother.

Linkhero1

I think the latest duke nukem. Took too long to make, switched developer hands multiple times, and it was very generic.

worst $2 I ever spent.

Verelios

Assassin's Creed emphasized everything I hated about this generations cinematic games. Floaty gameplay, psuedo science nonsensical story supported by a retrend into an assassin's life, and generally horrible implementation other than stealth building (which was not all that great!).

Kule

Halo 4.. I wish games weren't dragged out to die a slow death. Really grated me at the xbone reveal when they said there were hundreds of stories to be told in the Halo universe.
Sometimes it's just best to let things rest, and what ever happened to 'Finish the fight'?

More games should be like the last of us and offer a tight well paced story that leaves you satisfied when your done.

Muffdraul

Anything where the game is a broken piece of shit if you try to play it solo-- RE5, L4D, Lost Planet 2... I know y'all kids today love your MP shit, but if a game is going to claim to offer an SP mode at all then it should be of at least equal value.

Kalnos

Banned
World of Warcraft (Cata and onward). It got streamlined so much that the community was destroyed and its not even recognizable as the game I liked anymore.

Persona7

Banned
While I can't say I agree, but the AI in TLOU might be some of the worst, and the ally character breaking immersion might be the most noticable I have seen in a game in a long time. Nothing like them saying to be quiet and hidden, even though they are running very loudly in front of the enemy.

Definitely. For a game that is trying to focus on immersion and narrative it has a ton of weird glitches and bugs that completely break any sense of that. I wonder if they were forced to put it out before it was finished.

Top Bottom