• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there a smart trumpian writing anywhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pizza

I feel like movements that are well thought out and intellectual in nature have the intellectual backing you're looking for

Trump's campaign is riding on him personally more than anything else. His views are what he personally believes, not something he has necessarily pulled from actual research. Most the intellectual stuff seems biased against him because

A) half our country hates the guy, and it seems like it's coming from the half that uses their brains a lot

And

B) because his ideas aren't research-based, the research is only getting done now, and apparently he just has bad ideas

Breitbart and Daily Stormer both claim they're the platform of the alt-right, both with some legitimacy. Read Andrew Anglin, Richard Spencer, and the collective shitheads at Breitbart. Hunt down stuff Stephen Miller wrote. Read what you can of Bannon's. Those are the driving forces behind Trump's
white supremacist
"economic nationalism".

Most of their philosophy rejects expertise and academia, so you're not likely to find any scholar specifically writing about Trump's political philosophies, as distinct from traditional GOP philosophies.

It's youtube videos, blogs, and articles, mostly.

That seems like the opposite of smart

Someone should feed a neural network with all of Trump's tweets and see what the hell comes out from that.

I'm sure it would be capable of predicting his policy.
That was done ages ago.

@DeepDrumpf Jan 20
Now, so there will be no misunderstanding, it's not my intention to do away with government. It is rather to make it generally terrible.

@DeepDrumpf Jan 23
[My next gag order will be on] journalism. They're the problem. I'll educate our country and get rid of politics. @RVAwonk #globalgagrule

...holy shit.

Politico had an article yesterday about the "intellectual" foundations for Steve Bannon's worldview.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/02/steve-bannon-books-reading-list-214745
This is probably the best article for what the OP wants. The intellectual underpinnings of what Bannon wants are there. I could even see the merit of the ideas if they weren't always reliant on the false flag of American exceptionalism and the very questionable idea that foreign immigrants are the source of the Republic's downfall.

thespot84

This is probably the best article for what the OP wants. The intellectual underpinnings of what Bannon wants are there. I could even see the merit of the ideas if they weren't always reliant on the false flag of American exceptionalism and the very questionable idea that foreign immigrants are the source of the Republic's downfall.

That is what makes it so insidious. If you're already looking for an answer, it's easy to ignore the parts you don't like and buy into the ideology.

For instance, I think our civilization is on the brink as well, unable to deal with the upheaval due to climate change and automation, however my prescription for saving civilization couldn't be further from bannons. Reading that article had me constantly swaying back and forth from agreeing with the problems presented and then decrying their solutions.

It is vexing that smart people have to piece together their political and social philosophy, after they get elected, by observing their actions and trawling through fragments from interviews on YouTube and writing in poltiico.

At the bottom one finds a dead author like Ayn Rand who if alive, may be disgusted at how her ideas are getting implemented, and disown the lot of them!

I hope Bannon is busy penning his "My Plan" so we can read it in book form one day.

q56gKpn.jpg

So I tripped over this slippery slope gif alt-right people like as a kind of descent into intellectual madness diagram. It's interesting to see the supposed tutorial level on how to be a dick, gamer gate, was such a Frequently discussed topic here.

The New York Times has put together a nice restrained article on a deep influence of bannon

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/10/...mailed&version=Full&src=me&WT.nav=MostEmailed

Who turns out to be an onbscure Italian nationalist thinker Julius Evola who found Italian fascism too weak so later decided Nazi SS officers where a more ideal version of his new society.

It's the same stuff as people know: materialism is destroying the blood of the people, everything needs to be smashed so new castes and hierarchys can be built based on national spirit and so on.

The Washington post also has a bit on Miller that outline his past and Emergence

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...0cb3f0-e809-11e6-bf6f-301b6b443624_story.html

Of course Bannon refused any request for an interview (because most of his plan is not to reveal his plan)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom