• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there a women's roller derby game?

bjork

If not, there really should be. It would be like Dead or Alive meets Blades of Steel meets... some game with chicks racing on roller skates.

bjork

It could even be more cartoony, like Streets of Rage 2 but when you fight, you can bust out super combos like MvC2. There's all kinds of possibilities here. Why do I not have a game company.

bjork

Yeah, I saw a couple of pages talking about it, but not even so much as a screenshot.

I'm surprised EA doesn't do this. Didn't they make a few Rugby games that sold like 12 copies combined?

jiien

Haha, something like that, if I recall.

On that note, I'm now going to look up what Women's Roller Derby is...

Edit: Oh oh, I see. Didn't know that's what it was called.

Rock-rock-rock-n'Rollergames!

Roller_Games_NES_ScreenShot1.jpg

Zoe

AlternativeUlster said:
You live in Austin and you say that. C'mon. I would love a real roller derby game though. Go Puetas Del Fuego!

Sorry, I'm immune to the image of women beating each other up.

bjork

Zoe said:
There really isn't much to roller derby though...

As opposed to other game concepts? Shoot a guy before he shoots you. Drive a car in a circle and don't even hit the other drivers. Go fetch a talking rabbit's shirt from a talking penguin. Be a bitch in a green skirt on a horse.

All games are built off very little.

I'm envisioning a futuristic roller derby game with crazy F-Zero rinks (not sure if that's the right term) with boosts and power ups and stuff like that. Would probably be a cool little downloadable title.

Yeah. It should be arcadey and over the top. Something like Blitz meets Burnout meets Road Rash except with chicks in roller skates. I'm surprised there aren't more people attempting to make one of these things.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
bjork said:
If not, there really should be. It would be like Dead or Alive meets Blades of Steel meets... some game with chicks racing on roller skates.

huh , but why it must be women only game ? why not men too , masculine ,half naked handsome men on roller skaters.

It would be like Dead or Alive

DOAX3 should have the dudes from DOAs too , DO IT Hayashi-sama.

Zoe

Totobeni said:
huh , but why it must be women only game ? why not men too , masculine ,half naked handsome men on roller skaters.

Does men's roller derby even exist?

Zachack

Zoe said:
I know there were male teams when I watched it decades ago on... USA? Public Access in LA? It was on before or after that conservative "talk" show with the old guy with the blond hair and the picture of Reagan behind him.

Now it's mostly women, though.

RedNumberFive said:
Rock-rock-rock-n'Rollergames!

Roller_Games_NES_ScreenShot1.jpg

Rollergames is such a good game, it's definitely one of the lesswer-known Konami ("Ultra") NES games, and it deserves to be known better. Good graphics, good controls, fun level designs, an interesting mix of isometric platforming (that actually works!) and beat 'em up action, and more. I wasn't expecting that much when I first played it a few years ago, but it's really pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_AojVMEnt4

DeadTrees said:
I think there were female characters in the arcade version of Rollergames. It's kind of hard to tell, being the eighties and all.

Woah, the arcade version actually looks like the actual sport? Interesting, the NES version, which is fantastic, doesn't even remotely... it's interesting that Konami made the two games so different.

Zoe said:

It did back in the early '90s obviously, consdering that both of these games have more male than female teams to choose from. Now, as has been said, not really.

CamHostage

cuyahoga said:
http://homepage.mac.com/grafzepp/design_docs.htm

IIRC, Roller Vixens it was actually complete before it got canned.

I'm having trouble getting at the files here. Was this for the EA roller derby game for PS1 that was supposed to come out in the late 90s? If I remember right, this was going to be one of like a thousands different sports that EA was trying to get into back in its growth spurt of EA Sports. It would have had some real ladies from the roller derby circuit and traditional rules of laps, passing and blocking.

There was also going to be a PS1 game based on the movie Rollerball (before the remake) but that's not really roller derby.

(*EDIT: Never mind, the PDF loaded. So 989 was going to do a roller derby game too? Interesting.)

Top Bottom