• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is There Any Fanservice In Western Games For Straight Men Anymore?

NickFire

Quote from the article: "Our design is just getting more mature and respectful. You’re not going to wear a bikini to a fight. You’re not going to be showing so much skin. I think it’s just what the game is about: You’re going in to fight for your life, and you’re not going to be wearing such scantily clad items."

That's really rich. Mature and respectful people will jump into fights where the loser has his spine removed, head ripped off, or gets chopped into little pieces. That's mature and respectful and something people would do. No chance they'd wear a bikini to it though. Only puritans agree to have their limbs removed if they lose the fight.

+1 on my list of games I will never buy.

I understand this topic has over 1200 replies at this point so I'm coming in very late, but is this really such a big priority? I'm not a feminist or anything, but as how can a grown man complain about this and expect to be taken seriously?

Their wallets. And by the way, grown men don't give a shit if the puritans take them seriously when they discuss what they want in their leisurely activities.

ExpandKong

Banned
When creators force their politics into their development decisions, I’m obligated to force politics into my purchasing decisions.

See you on the Used Games shelf, MK11.

GreenAlien

That's really rich. Mature and respectful people will jump into fights where the loser has his spine removed, head ripped off, or gets chopped into little pieces. That's mature and respectful and something people would do. No chance they'd wear a bikini to it though. Only puritans agree to have their limbs removed if they lose the fight.
It's also wrong. I mean, look at women's boxing or wrestling..

Last edited:

Revas

When creators force their politics into their development decisions, I’m obligated to force politics into my purchasing decisions.

See you on the Used Games shelf, MK11.

You're not going to buy a game new,that you presumably enjoy playing, because the women aren't naked enough?

Goodness gracious

I don't get what the big deal is. Women in games becoming more like women in real life.

s37pUgh.jpg

You're not going to buy a game new,that you presumably enjoy playing, because the women aren't naked enough?

Goodness gracious

Ideas are more important than entertainment, if you support things you disagree with just because you can have some fun then you have no right to complain when the industry changes in a way you don't like. I mean, when it wasn't about politics there was no need to worry about this stuff, now you actually have to vote with your wallet.

kingbean

I don't get what the big deal is. Women in games becoming more like women in real life. T

Thats the problem. Video games aren't real life. They are entertainment, escapism and meant to be fun.

I'm not saying every game needs gorgeous people in it, but it's better than every game having regular looking fucks like me in it.

I don't want Kratos to have a dad bod and I don't want the girls in DOA to look less than perfect.

I'm not bothered by MK11 or Anthem or any other game that uses regular-ish looking people. I just have a problem with people trying to take away established sexiness and replacing it with unsexy blandness.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Goodness gracious

I am going to buy the game... used and on sale. I won't be buying it new or support the awful decisions made by regressive nimrods.

ExpandKong

Banned

Goodness gracious

I don’t need to buy a $60 game to see naked women dude. It’s the reasoning behind the decision to tone that aspect of it down to which I’m objecting - reasoning that’s particularly hilarious not just because of the ridiculously violent nature of the series in general, but also because of the history of the franchise as one that pushed boundaries from the very beginning.

It’s almost too ridiculous to be laughable. Here are the creators of Mortal Kombat, of all games, preaching societal propriety from atop the pile of money they’ve built on a foundation of decapitated heads and assorted viscera.

NickFire

Ideas are more important than entertainment, if you support things you disagree with just because you can have some fun then you have no right to complain when the industry changes in a way you don't like. I mean, when it wasn't about politics there was no need to worry about this stuff, now you actually have to vote with your wallet.
Seriously. How many years were we told no one is trying to take away your games? Well, its 2019. And Mortal Kombat is now Moral Kombat.

Revas

Women come in all sorts of shapes. That's what's missing from games. The ones with awesome bodies and no clothes are already well represented, and are the least realistic.

But what idea is being forced upon you? Do you really find women with clothes in MK reprehensible or is anything remotely "progressive" just that bothersome in itself? As if, without you voting with your wallet women may become even more clothed, imagine that. Honestly I'd no idea people played these games for the "fanservice". It's only as political as you want it to be, the game you presumably enjoyed is still there.

Revas

I don’t need to buy a $60 game to see naked women dude. It’s the reasoning behind the decision to tone that aspect of it down to which I’m objecting - reasoning that’s particularly hilarious not just because of the ridiculously violent nature of the series in general, but also because of the history of the franchise as one that pushed boundaries from the very beginning.

It’s almost too ridiculous to be laughable. Here are the creators of Mortal Kombat, of all games, preaching societal propriety from atop the pile of money they’ve built on a foundation of decapitated heads and assorted viscera.

I'm really trying to understand but I just don't get it. They're altering the designs to appeal to a larger group of people, that may or not work in their favor but that's what businesses do. It isn't a slap in the face to their customers unless you *really* dig the more sexualized "fanservice" looks. As long as the game is technically well put together why let the bs play a factor.

Women come in all sorts of shapes. That's what's missing from games. The ones with awesome bodies and no clothes are already well represented, and are the least realistic.

I thought you said that the covered up women in MK11 is more like women in real life but now you say that there is real sexy scantly clad women fighters in real life but they are well represented so they are now excluded from MK11? i'm confused?

But what idea is being forced upon you? Do you really find women with clothes in MK reprehensible or is anything remotely "progressive" just that bothersome in itself? As if, without you voting with your wallet women may become even more clothed, imagine that. Honestly I'd no idea people played these games for the "fanservice". It's only as political as you want it to be, the game you presumably enjoyed is still there.
I'm not really a big fan of MK and I wasn't planing on buying the game anyway, but I can understand people being upset with this because a good point ExpandKong posted was that MK was founded on controversy, it was a fucking brave game for its time and kids were fascinated by it, I remember it being all over the news because of its violence, it's like they were saying "we don't give a fuck". Right now nobody cares about violence, they just care about tits, and MK, being a game that always had women in skimpy outfits now they're just restraining from it because of fear of backlash. There you have a franchise that's going against it's very founding principles.

Now, that's easy to understand, but I was already on board in not buying games that try to convey a feminist agenda because I don't like that and don't want to support it. But that's just me.

NickFire

I'm really trying to understand but I just don't get it. They're altering the designs to appeal to a larger group of people, that may or not work in their favor but that's what businesses do. It isn't a slap in the face to their customers unless you *really* dig the more sexualized "fanservice" looks. As long as the game is technically well put together why let the bs play a factor.
Yes, it is a slap in the face to tell your customers of 25 years (of a ridiculously over the top fighting game) that the thing they enjoyed for 25 years is now changing because its not mature (as if it ever was or ever will be). Don't play coy - what they really meant was we don't care about your preferences any longer, because we want that SJW money, and it's immature if you stop giving us your money now that we don't really give two shits about you.

And yes, guys really do dig sexualized fanservice. For some reason this is seen as a problem when it comes to straight men these days. Never a problem when you wear ass-less leather chaps and a studded collar to a parade though.

Saruhashi

Banned
Quote from the article: "Our design is just getting more mature and respectful. You’re not going to wear a bikini to a fight. You’re not going to be showing so much skin. I think it’s just what the game is about: You’re going in to fight for your life, and you’re not going to be wearing such scantily clad items."

+1 on my list of games I will never buy.

Their wallets. And by the way, grown men don't give a shit if the puritans take them seriously when they discuss what they want in their leisurely activities.

I kind of agree with them to some extent and, if I'm being honest, I kind of prefer the new MK costumes. Sorry.

However, MK has always been this over the top game and so it feels so weird to me that they would say "let's go MORE over the top with the violence but also a bit of boob has become unacceptable".

Like, I don't know why they wouldn't just stand by their designs. "We think it looks better this way". Cool. Well, I kind of agree.
No, they have to trot out this fucking dumb "mature and respectful" line when it's a Mortal Kombat game FFS.

I haven't played MK in a good while so I might pick this one up just to see what's what.

Definitely people should vote with their wallets if they feel strongly though.

What strange times we live in where super extreme violence is met with "hell yeah he ripped that guys head off and stuck it on a pike" and people can't get enough but if you put one of the characters in a bikini and give them lovely lovely boobies people are like "oh thats just so immature and disrespectful". Fuckin weirdos.

Also: "You’re not going to be showing so much skin. I think it’s just what the game is about: You’re going in to fight for your life, and you’re not going to be wearing such scantily clad items."

Baraka - fully exposed chest and arms.
Geras - almost completely topless
Kano - topless
Shao Kahn - bare chest exposed
Kotal Kahn - maybe topless

So they can't even just be honest. Why not just say "listen you know we'll get shit on if we keep some of the old female costumes in the game so we have decided to toe the line"? Just be fucking honest.

Again, I happen to like Jade and Skarlet's new designs but I think NetherRealm should just own it instead of trotting out this "mature and respectful" bullshit.

NickFire

I kind of agree with them to some extent and, if I'm being honest, I kind of prefer the new MK costumes. Sorry.

However, MK has always been this over the top game and so it feels so weird to me that they would say "let's go MORE over the top with the violence but also a bit of boob has become unacceptable".

Like, I don't know why they wouldn't just stand by their designs. "We think it looks better this way". Cool. Well, I kind of agree.
No, they have to trot out this fucking dumb "mature and respectful" line when it's a Mortal Kombat game FFS.

I haven't played MK in a good while so I might pick this one up just to see what's what.

Definitely people should vote with their wallets if they feel strongly though.

What strange times we live in where super extreme violence is met with "hell yeah he ripped that guys head off and stuck it on a pike" and people can't get enough but if you put one of the characters in a bikini and give them lovely lovely boobies people are like "oh thats just so immature and disrespectful". Fuckin weirdos.

Also: "You’re not going to be showing so much skin. I think it’s just what the game is about: You’re going in to fight for your life, and you’re not going to be wearing such scantily clad items."

Baraka - fully exposed chest and arms.
Geras - almost completely topless
Kano - topless
Shao Kahn - bare chest exposed
Kotal Kahn - maybe topless

So they can't even just be honest. Why not just say "listen you know we'll get shit on if we keep some of the old female costumes in the game so we have decided to toe the line"? Just be fucking honest.

Again, I happen to like Jade and Skarlet's new designs but I think NetherRealm should just own it instead of trotting out this "mature and respectful" bullshit.
There's no reason to be sorry if you prefer the new designs, old designs, or want something different altogether. No one is obligated to like the same thing as others. And you hit the nail on the head about the lack of honesty, and we fully agree there. I would highly respect a simple statement that we want to appeal to a different crowd and are willing to risk losing existing customers this time.

Enygger_Tzu

Banned

So, create your own games and represent them, don't try to infiltrate our own games.

ExpandKong

Banned

The game being technically competent and the political motivations behind changing design elements in a long-running franchise have nothing to do with each other.

To flip it around to the developer perspective: if the game is technically well put together, why let the bs play a factor in the design?

Everyone can say it’s “to appeal to a wider audience,” but it’s 2019 - we all know what the real motivation is behind the decision to cover up and tone down the female (and only the female) characters in their latest blood ‘n guts fest. It’s to avoid having the shitheels at Era and others like them literally-shaking-right-now all over the place because they saw half a titty.

Last edited:

FranXico

So, on one hand women do have many body types (all sorts of shapes), but on the other, awesome bodies are not realistic?

Which one is it going to be?

GreenAlien

You think fat and unathletic, or simply old, women should be represented in games where they fight to the death? As what? targets for target practice?

You can put your representation into walking simulators where you don't have to fight anything and not move much, but don't bring it here and claim it's more realistic. Look at female soldiers and see in how many "sizes" they come.

Revas

So, create your own games and represent them, don't try to infiltrate our own games.

Infiltrate? It's a game not a base, guy.

I thought you said that the covered up women in MK11 is more like women in real life but now you say that there is real sexy scantly clad women fighters in real life but they are well represented so they are now excluded from MK11? i'm confused?

Well my initial point didn't pertain to MK specifically. There's some hurt feelings in this thread about women in games not looking perfect and resembling a more realistic person. As I said women come in all sizes but representation in games is typically the picture perfect scantily clad, realistically a small part of the female population.

Yes, it is a slap in the face to tell your customers of 25 years (of a ridiculously over the top fighting game) that the thing they enjoyed for 25 years is now changing because its not mature (as if it ever was or ever will be). Don't play coy - what they really meant was we don't care about your preferences any longer, because we want that SJW money, and it's immature if you stop giving us your money now that we don't really give two shits about you.

And yes, guys really do dig sexualized fanservice. For some reason this is seen as a problem when it comes to straight men these days. Never a problem when you wear ass-less leather chaps and a studded collar to a parade though.

Some of you just really want it to be an us versus them thing. I'm a straight man, btw. I personally don't play games for the "fanservice" so it's just an odd concept to understand. Your comparing a video game to parade, where's the rationale. I live in New Orleans, gay straight whatever you can wear fuck all at a parade 😂

ExpandKong

Banned
Some of you just really want it to be an us versus them thing. I'm a straight man, btw. I personally don't play games for the "fanservice" so it's just an odd concept to understand. Your comparing a video game to parade, where's the rationale. I live in New Orleans, gay straight whatever you can wear fuck all at a parade 😂

But you can’t have characters in a fantasy-based fighting game wear fuck all anymore?

NickFire

I don't play games for this type of fanservice either. But a lot of guys do, and there's nothing wrong with that. With respect to us versus them, none of us want it that way. We just want "them" to stop forcing changes to things we like under threat of public shaming, and to stop calling us immature, sexist, racist, etc., for simply liking things we naturally like. And unlike them, we don't try to get people fired if someone disagrees with us. We don't try to tarnish their reputations. No, we just bitch and vote with our wallets. Then get called man babies for not buying the damn thing we never wanted.

Oh, and please don't be intentionally obtuse and pretend that makes you smarter than me. You know I was not saying video games are the same thing as parades. I was comparing the reaction of "them" to one form of sexualized fanservice to another that is even more over the top.

Last edited:

Revas

So, on one hand women do have many body types (all sorts of shapes), but on the other, awesome bodies are not realistic?

Which one is it going to be?

Don't be obtuse. The point is that the spectrum of women's bodies isn't reflected in games. That's the whole entire point. I tend to think it's ok if the other side is explored more and women in games look a little less attractive.

You think fat and unathletic, or simply old, women should be represented in games where they fight to the death? As what? targets for target practice?

You can put your representation into walking simulators where you don't have to fight anything and not move much, but don't bring it here and claim it's more realistic. Look at female soldiers and see in how many "sizes" they come.

I'm in the military. Trust they come in lots of different sizes and when it's time to rumble they wear lots of gear.

Revas

I don't play games for this type of fanservice either. But a lot of guys do, and there's nothing wrong with that. With respect to us versus them, none of us want it that way. We just want "them" to stop forcing changes to things we like under threat of public shaming, and to stop calling us immature, sexist, racist, etc., for simply liking things we naturally like. And unlike them, we don't try to get people fired if someone disagrees with us. We don't try to tarnish their reputations. No, we just bitch and vote with our wallets. Then get called man babies for not buying the damn thing we never wanted.

Oh, and please don't be intentionally obtuse and pretend that makes you smarter than me. You know I was not saying video games are the same thing as parades. I was comparing the reaction of "them" to one form of sexualized fanservice to another that is even more over the top.

Some of this is fairly reasonable, though I feel the backlash is overblown. The us vs them rhetoric is great way to go nowhere fast. Sometimes you need "them" to tell you what issues they have so that "we" can be better in the future. Some of "us" have no desire to be better though 🤷🏽‍♂️.

Quite honestly I had no idea what you were trying to say. Straight men liking half naked chicks in a game being a problem juxtaposed to (I'm assuming gay here) men wearing assless chaps in a parade not being a problem. It's ridiculous man, but these are the types of inane comparisons that fuel left v right internet discussions.

lmao can't believe MK11 is an SJW game now, what is with the execs at these studios? do they not understand that SJW's are just a meme that basically don't exist, and won't buy your games regardless?

They don't learn, this is how you kill your game. By creating controversy with your fans, pitting your fans against a made up group of snowlfakes. It's hilarious actually, RIP MK 11

petran79

Banned
Unfortunately, most of the "old gen" of western developers have become too involved with politics to go back. Those who aren't, are just crushed by peer pressure, and those who would like some sexy are actually afraid to speak because their job is literally at stake.

I think also that due to their older age, getting married, having families, getting recognition etc they can not make the games they did in their 20s and 30s and have lost touch with the younger generation.
Also now with online criticism it is very difficult for the younger generation to rise to fame with controversial content. Difference is that the older generation in their youth did the same things and even worse and they made a fortune, while claiming now to be progressive.

ExpandKong

Banned
Some of this is fairly reasonable, though I feel the backlash is overblown. The us vs them rhetoric is great way to go nowhere fast. Sometimes you need "them" to tell you what issues they have so that "we" can be better in the future. Some of "us" have no desire to be better though 🤷🏽‍♂️.

Who defines what “better” is? You? Why should anybody give a shit what you think “better” is?

I buy a house, I decorate the house. I put up red curtains from Target. You come over, peek through my windows and see my red curtains. You come inside and tell me that red curtains suck. I tell you I don’t give a shit, put up whatever curtains you like at your own place.

You stir up shit on Twitter and get a hashtag going to demand that Target stop manufacturing red curtains. Maybe someone who agrees with you on this posts their local Target manager’s personal info online, and maybe someone that person knows parks outside the manager’s house and spooks him and his family.

Next week, Target says they’ve “listened to demand” and will now only manufacture blue curtains. They’re just as good at keeping light out as the red ones, but they’re blue.

Am I an asshole if I go to Dillard’s and buy their red curtains next time I need curtains? Or are you the asshole for trying to force me to decorate my house a certain way when you don’t even live there?

Am I an asshole for saying I’m gonna pass on this game now? Or are NRS assholes for catering to a demographic that never bought their games in the first place?

NickFire

Quite honestly I had no idea what you were trying to say. Straight men liking half naked chicks in a game being a problem juxtaposed to (I'm assuming gay here) men wearing assless chaps in a parade not being a problem. It's ridiculous man, but these are the types of inane comparisons that fuel left v right internet discussions.
I can definitely be over the top at times, but the past couple years has been insane. We've now got razor companies "advertising" by telling men not to stare at women, a million other things, and now the Mortal Kombat devs saying boobs are immature. :messenger_hushed: I see the news from other countries where the people behind this madness make saying mean things into a criminal offense, and I've had enough. Whenever possible, I will vote with my wallet to express my displeasure with their Utopian dreams. If I make a stupid analogy so be it.

McCheese

I'm so glad Netherealm have added some realism to the game, I couldn't take time-travelling gods pulling spines out of each other seriously when there was cleavage on display. Really snapped me out of the alien hell-scape and made me remember it was just a videogame.

Last edited:

Dacon

Banned
Many gamers pointed out that it seemed odd that the women were so covered up in Mortal Kombat 11, compared to the 25 year history of NetherRealm indulging in creating scantily-clad femme fatales.

This is the crux of the entire issue really. If MK always presented women like MK11 people wouldnt be complaining. I also find the amount of female cosplayers complaining about how boring MK11 designs are to be hilarious.

“Our character lead, Brendan George, has been a breath of fresh air of just introducing new ideas. Our design is just getting more mature and respectful. You’re not going to wear a bikini to a fight. You’re not going to be showing so much skin. I think it’s just what the game is about: You’re going in to fight for your life, and you’re not going to be wearing such scantily clad items.

What? Johnny, Baraka, Kotal, Shao Kahn, and Kano are all walking around their tits and their guts exposed. No one is really wearing any armor.

"Respectful".

Ok, guess the scores of female MK fans who have been cosplaying these characters for years have no respect for themselves.

ExpandKong

Banned
This is the crux of the entire issue really. If MK always presented women like MK11 people wouldnt be complaining. I also find the amount of female cosplayers complaining about how boring MK11 designs are to be hilarious.

What? Johnny, Baraka, Kotal, Shao Kahn, and Kano are all walking around their tits and their guts exposed. No one is really wearing any armor.

"Respectful".

Ok, guess the scores of female MK fans who have been cosplaying these characters for years have no respect for themselves.

I LOVE that word in there, respectful.

The latest trailer has Johnny Cage slow-motion punching a guy in the dick.

Behold, our newfound respect.

Jade had a fatality where she impales you on her spear, then rips your head off and sticks it on top.

Respectful.

Because when you hear the name “Mortal Kombat,” the word that immediately comes to mind is “respectful.”

Your point about cosplayers is also great.

“Women should be free to choose!”
*dresses up like Quiet*
“No you chose wrong!”

Last edited:

CatCouch

They can do what they want with the game but I find it sad that shaming sexy art is considered a positive thing. Whatever your feelings on scantily clad designs you have to understand that a lot of people like it and a lot of people are artists that create it (like me!).

It's one thing to design a game without scantily clad women, that's absolutely fine! It's another to shame it, though. To act as if it is actually wrong to create scantily clad designs in games (or any art medium) is something I personally feel is harmful. I've been on the receiving end of harassment for scantily clad art and it's not fun. I wish these debates were more open, debates are a two way street, after all.

I don't see it as a "left/right, us vs. them" thing. My experience with these issues leads me to believe it's more about people getting annoyed when something they don't like is popular.

I think this is all just the growing pains of social media bringing everybody into close proximity of each other. You see what other people are doing on a daily basis now and it can feel like things you like are not being represented while things you dislike are being shoved in your face.

I think we are aware of this but don't fully grasp it yet. You want to be around things you like and care about but you will be around things that you don't care about or will go against your interests more often now. The more you're exposed to things you don't like the more annoyed you may get and the more you may want to take some kind of action against it. In the past you had more control with what you surrounded yourself with.

I think we should all remember how big the world is and how many people there are. There is no "one size fits all" solution. I feel we put too much emphasis on what we don't like.

It's obviously a complicated issue that we'll figure out how to handle as we grow more accustomed to a connected world.

More on topic: I wonder if this is just PR like Dead Or Alive 6. I read Polygon's interview with DOA6 producer, Shimbori, and he told them similar things about toning down and being respectful and it wasn't true. MK11 has males with a lot of exposed skin. If all characters had total body covering armor this would ring more true to me but since they don't I find these statements are disingenuous.

brap

Banned
It's official guys.

https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2019/...-items-were-purposefully-de-sexualized/81034/

NetherRealm has confirmed that there will be no sexy, scantily-clad items for the females in Mortal Kombat 11. The female characters were purposefully de-sexualized, according to NetherRealm Studios.

That means no classic outfits too, but you can still enjoy the shirtless buff dudes and torture porn instead.

YT3iIx7.png
“I’m sure that will disappoint some fans. We don’t have bathing suit fighters, and I think that’s fine. If people are disappointed, I don’t regret making that change by any means.”
Ok Steve Beran then I won't buy your game you fucking cunt. I'm sure your parents think you're a disappointment too.

brap

Banned
Women in games becoming more like women in real life.
Yeah I'm sure we all know women that yell and act like men. Oh wait women don't actually act like women in games and if you weren't some basement dwelling internet whiteknight you'd know that.

Iorv3th

Don't be obtuse. The point is that the spectrum of women's bodies isn't reflected in games. That's the whole entire point. I tend to think it's ok if the other side is explored more and women in games look a little less attractive.

The spectrum of mens bodies isn't represented in games well either. But nobody is bitching about not having enough overweight/extremely skinny dudes that aren't charictures. How come it's only a problem that's applied to women in games and not males? Especially when the fat male player is probably a larger representation of the people playing these games?

Revas

Yeah I'm sure we all know women that yell and act like men. Oh wait women don't actually act like women in games and if you weren't some basement dwelling internet whiteknight you'd know that.

I have no clue what you're getting at besides that people who don't see things like you do are "basement dwelling white knights", I've been off the porch since 04, but I do apologise for disrupting your circlrjerk.

I can definitely be over the top at times, but the past couple years has been insane. We've now got razor companies "advertising" by telling men not to stare at women, a million other things, and now the Mortal Kombat devs saying boobs are immature. :messenger_hushed: I see the news from other countries where the people behind this madness make saying mean things into a criminal offense, and I've had enough. Whenever possible, I will vote with my wallet to express my displeasure with their Utopian dreams. If I make a stupid analogy so be it.

Fair enough. It's interesting, I like getting out of my bubble and getting the views of others. Companies like Gilette just use these issues for promotion, and while I didn't take offense to anything in that commercial I get that it rubs people the wrong way. Sensitivity is the new wave and it goes too far in some instances but I think there's value as well.

The spectrum of mens bodies isn't represented in games well either. But nobody is bitching about not having enough overweight/extremely skinny dudes that aren't charictures. How come it's only a problem that's applied to women in games and not males? Especially when the fat male player is probably a larger representation of the people playing these games?

If you're upset with the spectrum of male bodies not being reprented then bitch about it if you want. If you aren't then don't. What does that have to do with people and their feelings about women's bodies? Why are you upset that someone else is upset?

Cosmogony

Don't be obtuse. The point is that the spectrum of women's bodies isn't reflected in games.

And what gave you the impression creatives are under the obligation to reflect the entire spectrum of women's bodies?

And along which dimensions? Weight? Height? Complexion?
Where do you draw the line and why?

That's the whole entire point. I tend to think it's ok if the other side is explored more and women in games look a little less attractive.

You can think it's ok all you want. But do you have a valid reason why creators ought to conduct themselves accordingly when writing fiction?

I'm in the military. Trust they come in lots of different sizes and when it's time to rumble they wear lots of gear.

Interesting.
So morbidly obese female midgets who limp would make for equally combat-worthy soldiers, right? And, therefore, equally valid candidates for protags in looter-shooters, right?

Athena~

Banned

Don’t call people obtuse when you are the one okay with mediocrity. Everyone should strive for the best in entertainment not the backwards illogical stances you have going on.

I am okay with my games looking less attractive? Now that’s obtuse.

“I’m sure that will disappoint some fans. We don’t have bathing suit fighters, and I think that’s fine. If people are disappointed, I don’t regret making that change by any means.”

There's a difference between "bathing suit fighters," and taking a "Cleavage!? That's sinful, and morally wrong, and there'll be none of that in our game!" stance. This is the second one.

lmao can't believe MK11 is an SJW game now, what is with the execs at these studios? do they not understand that SJW's are just a meme that basically don't exist, and won't buy your games regardless?

They don't learn, this is how you kill your game. By creating controversy with your fans, pitting your fans against a made up group of snowlfakes. It's hilarious actually, RIP MK 11

It's still going to sell a ton of copies, because most people don't care about this, or they won't ever hear about it, and they mostly care about the violence anyway.

Me? I've just been essentially told that I'm morally wrong if I have a different opinion as to how female characters should and should not be presented. A company wanting me as a customer just told me this. So yeah, I'll be buying a used copy if I buy it at all.

Last edited:

Arkage

Banned
Seems like most of these dev decisions wouldn't get such pushback if they didn't have to make a big deal out of it. They could literally keep the answers as brief as "that's how we wanted to do it" without all the "we r mature and u r not" language. But virtue signaling clearly overrides all else for people on both sides of this.

Last edited:
Seems like most of these dev decisions wouldn't get such pushback if they didn't have to make a big deal out of it. They could literally keep the answers as brief as "that's how we wanted to do it" without all the "we r mature and u r not" language. But virtue signaling clearly overrides all else for people on both sides of this.
Their decisions get pushback because their justification tend to not be compelling enough to the audience. No one's forcing them to say "we r mature and ur not", but it makes the purchase decision-making process a whole lot easier for the consumers.

brap

Banned
I have no clue what you're getting at besides that people who don't see things like you do are "basement dwelling white knights", I've been off the porch since 04, but I do apologise for disrupting your circlrjerk.
Ok go on thinking the average female is like Ronda Rousey then. Contrary to the way you people think most women like to be women and not pretend they're men.

"only dudes are complaining about this"

When will the SJWs understand that male and female gamers don't want to look at ugly covered up women in their games.

brap

Banned
"only dudes are complaining about this"

When will the SJWs understand that male and female gamers don't want to look at ugly covered up women in their games.

STOP IT YOU'RE RUINING THE NARRATIVE!!!
But lmao. They always act like straight men are the only people who like this. Like bi and lesbian women just don't exist or don't like looking at women.

Top Bottom