• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woke Values Will Destroy the Gaming Industry

Status
Not open for further replies.

LixhulHot

Banned
Since 2016, I've seen a disturbing rise in ideological values that seem almost communistic, not only acceptable, but celebrated, despite being backward, dangerous, and racially divisive. These ideals threaten Western culture, defining people by appearance rather than merit. TV was the first casualty; now gaming, increasingly costly and unforgiving, is the next target for this regressive mindset and madness.

Woke values, a cultural poison, sneak in and impose themselves, pretending to be moral lessons while ignoring all logic. Their advocates are never satisfied; when failures occur, they point fingers elsewhere, usually the fans, ignoring the real issue. Look at Disney's mishandling of Star Wars and Marvel Comics—clear examples of how destructive this cycle can be, with wokeness continuing despite the damage already committed. It's never enough, woke Values will continue to push these once loved franchises, just look at the proposed Rey movie coming up. While companies like Disney can afford failure after failure, most gaming companies cannot, and there latest game can always be their last.

Insomniac's unexplained "inclusion training" in its gaming has me worried of the trend repeating for gaming. It's a practice that, under the guise of progress, promotes division and echoes totalitarian regimes. Likewise, Alan Wake 2 sidelines its main character for around half the game for a young, black women, who negatively comments on white people as a collective. Additionally, The Last of Us Part II abruptly swaps beloved characters for poorly justified, unrealistic females. These aren't just story choices; they're signs of an agenda pushing change at the cost of coherence and quality. The result? A gaming world where merit and artistic integrity come second to ideological conformity, a decline in sales, and ultimately death, blamed for something else. Someone's ideology is never the problem.

I fear for gaming unless Western developers recognize woke values for the poison they are and choose to prioritize quality storytelling over forced ideology. These people will not stop until there is nothing left to destroy.

Last edited:

Scotty W

Gold Member
Videogames should be destroyed by woke values!

Woke values destroy everything, because the best word to describe woke means pure fascism in how people interpret it.

The problem with it though is that all of these people have their own ideas of what woke is, so you have a lot of people that think they’re woke while they’re actually just fascist as hell.

One simple proof of this is the following, people who are woke divide everyone in groups, black, white hispanic etc. Then they say they want one of these groups to not be discriminated anymore, and the way to do it is to be extremely fascist and to discriminate, demonize and other stuff to everyone that’s for example not black.

Discrimination in the USA was virtually non existent anymore, but thanks to Bidens policies it came back alive with a vengeance.

If you really want to stop racism you should stop talking about race all the time and just treat everyone equally, you know, just as a human. It’s simple as that, and that’s what almost everyone was doing pre-Biden

Last edited:
This is a result of the ESG initiative.

Instead of complaining about your favourite media franchise, think about the implications that these types of content have for the development of culture and society as a whole. These aren't some harmless hobbyist niches that no sane person should give a shit about. The message trickles down into the minds of children and adults alike, changing how we think and then how we live (as you said).

I am not even worried. The industry would correct itself. This whole woke nonsense is just a fad, and like all fads will fade away. We are gonna hit an anti-woke phase soon enough.

There was plenty of fad-ifying of the Nazi movement in 1920s Germany, too. Didn't work out so well.

Last edited:

sigmaZ

Since 2016, I've seen a disturbing rise in ideological values that seem almost communistic, not only acceptable, but celebrated, despite being backward, dangerous, and racially divisive. These ideals threaten Western culture, defining people by appearance rather than merit. TV was the first casualty; now gaming, increasingly costly and unforgiving, is the next target for this regressive mindset and madness.

Woke values, a cultural poison, sneak in and impose themselves, pretending to be moral lessons while ignoring all logic. Their advocates are never satisfied; when failures occur, they point fingers elsewhere, usually the fans, ignoring the real issue. Look at Disney's mishandling of Star Wars and Marvel Comics—clear examples of how destructive this cycle can be, with wokeness continuing despite the damage already committed. It's never enough, woke Values will continue to push these once loved franchises, just look at the proposed Rey movie coming up. While companies like Disney can afford failure after failure, most gaming companies cannot, and there latest game can always be their last.

Insomniac's unexplained "inclusion training" in its gaming has me worried of the trend repeating for gaming. It's a practice that, under the guise of progress, promotes division and echoes totalitarian regimes. Likewise, Alan Wake 2 sidelines its main character for around half the game for a young, black women, who negatively comments on white people as a collective. Additionally, The Last of Us Part II abruptly swaps beloved characters for poorly justified, unrealistic females. These aren't just story choices; they're signs of an agenda pushing change at the cost of coherence and quality. The result? A gaming world where merit and artistic integrity come second to ideological conformity, a decline in sales, and ultimately death, blamed for something else. Someone's ideology is never the problem.

I fear for gaming unless Western developers recognize woke values for the poison they are and choose to prioritize quality storytelling over forced ideology. These people will not stop until there is nothing left to destroy.
Bro it's ok to go outside or do other things sometimes.
I don't like virtue signal as much as much as the next person but don't let it live in your brain rent free.
I recommend staying off Reddit and YouTube for awhile.

Saber

Gold Member
What destroys the games is people pretending they don't exists and praising them. If people put resistance they wouldn't have reach there.

It's like saying the company will crumble because of clowns at leadership. The real problem is whoever put these clowns at top and the ones who keep applaunding their clown attitude.

Instead we have bunch of morrows who either pretend they don't exist or when they fail they say "well, product X failed because it was bad. Nothing to do with being woke". Same shit different day, even on the movies stuff.

Last edited:
If I got a dollar everytime I read the word woke on GAF I'd have bought Activision Blizzard.

The gaming industry will be just fine. There will be a few developers and games that overplay their hand and will receive backlash. The vast majority will just continue being a bit more progressive on diversity and inclusion, and 95% of gamers will neither notice or care.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Multipage threads about wokeness from pantshitters surely are killing Neogaf.
8aXVDRU.jpg

We have to accept every kind of people’s and different ideas

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

Woke values destroy everything, because the best word to describe woke means pure fascism in how people interpret it.

The problem with it though is that all of these people have their own ideas of what woke is, so you have a lot of people that think they’re woke while they’re actually just fascist as hell.

One simple proof of this is the following, people who are woke divide everyone in groups, black, white hispanic etc. Then they say they want one of these groups to not be discriminated anymore, and the way to do it is to be extremely fascist and to discriminate, demonize and other stuff to everyone that’s for example not black.

Discrimination in the USA was virtually non existent anymore, but thanks to Bidens policies it came back alive with a vengeance.

If you really want to stop racism you should stop talking about race all the time and just treat everyone equally, you know, just as a human. It’s simple as that, and that’s what almost everyone was doing pre-Biden
"Discrimination in the USA was virtually non existent anymore"

What?!? This is 100% wrong.

Mr.Phoenix

There was plenty of fad-ifying of the Nazi movement in 1920s Germany, too. Didn't work out so well.
Two very different things.

The single biggest difference here though, is that this woke nonsense doesn't even need people to self-adjust. Its a money thing. At the end of the day, the industry will go where the money goes.

Hogwarts' legacy shows just how irrelevant the whole woke nonsense is. Actually, I'll better that, is there a single game that has gone on to not sell well because the "woke" people spoke against it?

Topher

Gold Member
Eh.....obsessing over "woke values" is just as bad, frankly. I don't have a problem with a game that has a message (even one that doesn't align with my views) as long as it is well done. I look at the heavy handed political pandering in the side missions of Spider-man 2 and I just roll my eyes. It is juvenile shit writing. But let's not get carried away and jump at ghosts every time there is a minority non-male as the focus. That's no different than those who complain about the lack of diversity in a game.

There's a huge gap in the centre where you neither go out of your way to push progressive movements on people, nor shit your pants because they put a buff girl in your videogame.

Exactly

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I hope it all burns and crashes down. At some point I'm just going to replay old games or indies only and show a middle finger to everything else. Japanese games still have value in them, for now, tho they are slightly bowing to western influences as well.

Filben

Don't let media (includes telegram groups and bubbles) dictate your fear. There's enough scientific evidence on how media works in sociocultural systems, where you have to create debates. If you'd write 'everything is fine' this is considered non-news and hence not worthy of reading.

You have to create debates and arguments for an outlet to survive and you do that with strong and extreme opinions.

Now certain peer groups see issues where there is little (not none, mind you) and use the same tactics the people you want to separate yourself from use. Left wing people use the same tactics as right wing people, as to "balance it out".

Gaming has many issues but wokeness is one of the lesser ones, in my opinion. Of course, it adds on top but that's were some people draw the line? That a game is too woke? How about the people working under awful conditions, corporations already thinking about billing you by the hour instead of one-time only; shameless micro transactions, pay to win, abusive and intrusive and manipulative mechanics to capitalize on dark patterns and weaker end-customers and young adults or even children.

Wokeness is in many cases just PR because if the country you're making big money in forbids it, publisher and devs are eager to remove certain things from the game instead of standing by it. That's problematic but it's not destroying gaming as an industry.

Having no people to work for you or making the same game every year with manipulative mechanics is by far more dangerous in my opinion.

I'm not saying you're wrong or not to invalidate your feelings and opinions. Just a hint to look further and not to pick a very small sample size for extrapolation. Think about how many great games we got this year, despite some groups claiming for years, "gaming is dead".

some channels on YT swear the "woke culture" is destroying Hollywood and Disney in particular. is it true? 🤷‍♂️
I think you'll find that the groups talking of about this stuff are quick to claim a victory whenever a company stumbles, but are completely silent when other companies with progressive policies do fine.
I truly prey for a « sélection naturel » kind of event soon.
Ah yes. Then you'll get all the videogames made exactly the way you want.

OverHeat

« generous god »
I think you'll find that the groups talking of about this stuff are quick to claim a victory whenever a company stumbles, but are completely silent when other companies with progressive policies do fine.

Ah yes. Then you'll get all the videogames made exactly the way you want.
I don’t cares for anything of this crap make the game for mass go with the majority

Mr.Phoenix

If I am being honest, and this may ultimately sound insensitive...

I honestly feel that those that get all riled up over the whole woke thing, are just as bad as those doing the whole woke thing. I believe in freedom of speech and expression. Those woke people have their right to have their beliefs and opinions, I have a right to not agree with them and do whatever I want. Doesnt mean that when they talk, or that someone says something woke of shares a woke opinion, I would start losing sleep.

I feel the problem here is not even about woke or anti-woke, its that people on either side of that camp feel they need to take an extremist stance to push their agenda. And I can say with complete certainty, that once you put "extremist" into anything, it becomes bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom