• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this the most terrifying "wall o' death" level in all of videogames?

Neiteio

I believe there was a multiplayer mode in FEAR3 that was literally running from a cloud of black smoke that looked like screaming faces.

Spiders are still creepier.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
The one true king.

aBglCO0.png

There is a game where it starts out all happy and you invert the world and it gets all messed up. Can't remember the name but the bloody wall o death in that game is nutz.

The Lantern Run in Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet put me on edge constantly. I suppose it's not terrifying in a "scary" sense but I was constantly dreading it while getting the two achievements associated to that mode.

Hypron

The only wall of death I could think of was this one (from Kid Chameleon):
Kid_Chameleon.gif

It doesn't really look scary and IIRC it's pretty easy to avoid.

GhaleonEB

So glad I'm not the only one who thought of Kid Chameleon.

That wall reminded me of the one in the film Labyrinth, with the drills and blades.

Lavapotamus

Neo Member
I'm generally not afraid of spiders beyond the idea of how black widows and brown recluse could be hiding anywhere and just fuck up a life instantly, but that DKCR level really freaked me out. I think anything with the capability of swarming can scare me, but I never really associated spiders with swarming til I played that stage. I was SO relieved when I finally beat it.

The water levels in sonic, rising water in some parts and spikes that would send you flying back and down + the constant threat of drowning.

RagnarokX

Does this count? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x61FlP1-jKg

One by ASC Games. This level is a dream sequence showing how you escaped from a laboratory before the start of the game. You have to keep destroying these devices to keep a timer from reaching zero and getting a game over. You have to get all of them, only one is active at a time and they go in order. The platforming is very clunky and the camera is terrible. There's also a giant spider boss at the end, but this player cheats to beat it.

Kurt

With both games super metroid & castlevania 4 you had a part which is kind a te same as the one of dkc returns. Except the wall rises up instead from left to right.

Top Bottom