• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this the most terrifying "wall o' death" level in all of videogames?

ugly

dino-run-screenshot-1.png

Edit: Damnit beaten like a dick.

Dino Run muthalickas

Toxi

Banned
I always find swarms of spiders non-threatening because they're so ludicrous. Most spiders will happily much on other spiders, often other spiders of the same species. The few colonial spiders are web-builders. To get a spider swarm to pursue a comparatively giant mammal, you'd have to overcome every natural spider instinct. Even their feeding process is diametrically opposed to hunting giant prey in swarms.

Now, if game designers wised up on this and started using ants or, God forbid, angry bees, I'd actually be afraid of their walls of death.

Rubius

I always find swarms of spiders non-threatening because they're so ludicrous. Most spiders will happily much on other spiders, often other spiders of the same species. The few colonial spiders are web-builders. To get a spider swarm to pursue a comparatively giant mammal, you'd have to overcome every natural spider instinct. Even their feeding process is diametrically opposed to hunting giant prey in swarms.

Now, if game designers wised up on this and started using ants or, God forbid, angry bees, I'd actually be afraid of their walls of death.

Well swarms of insects usually mind that they have hivemind, and are controlled as one entity. And if you add fire in the mix...
fire%2Bspider%2Bswarm.jpg

Bishop89

First gaf post!

The hunter from Dead space
ds-hunter.jpg

and of course spiders, uncharted 3 style.
tumblr_m78f7uZay21r9zabzo1_400.gif

sorry for the terrible image.

Jinjo

This:
Bloody_Swamp.png

Shit was devious.

The music made you REALLY want to hurry up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh7xN3lRkgk

I remember these. There was one near the end of the game (same level style) that was so hard that always ended my playthrough in no time at all. Problem was I always forgot the warp point that would sent me there so I fell for it a lot lol.

I never beat this game as a kid, only when I got it 10 years later on VC I managed to beat it. It was a quest between me and my dad for years before that, every once in a while we'd whip out the megadrive to try and beat this game. In the end, it really wasn't all that hard lol.

boltz

First gaf post!

The hunter from Dead space
ds-hunter.jpg

and of course spiders, uncharted 3 style.
tumblr_m78f7uZay21r9zabzo1_400.gif

sorry for the terrible image.

Gah, the hunters were pretty terrible, but they were always satisfying to finally kill.

My addition is that level in castle crashers chase through the abandoned mill by that big black thing.

Likewise. Have never heard this phrase before. Anyone?

A death field that's steadily moving behind the player, forcing them to run forward. Messing up with traversal will quickly lead to death.

There's a lot of tongue-in-cheek responses listing actual walls/wall-like enemies

Likewise. Have never heard this phrase before. Anyone?

I understand it to be a constantly moving "something" that pushes you to move forward and if it catches up to you it means death.

I believe the Demon Wall from Final Fantasy IV moved closer to your party and at some point it instantly kills them, so that is a similar idea in a turn-based manner.

Some of the replies I'm not too certain about.

Edit: And beaten.

Doczu

Gold Member
The orange light in Silent Hill 3. The one in the amusement park. It just came out of nowhere, with a headhurting static sound (or something like it, can't remember anymore) and took your life away. Why? Why? Why?...

Bedlam

Wheel of Time on PC had a wall of death level that was pretty terrifying to me back then. You had to navigate your way trough a pitch-black level while being followed by a wall of screaming faces.

Wheel of Time on PC had a wall of death level that was pretty terrifying to me back then. You had to navigate your way trough a pitch-black level while being followed by a wall of screaming faces.

I'm currently reading through the tor.com re-read of the series and having played a couple levels of the PC game I got curious enough to look around for this. Figured it'd be in The Ways and sure enough I found it briefly in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=mgarTnoBqQQ#t=804s

That's rather unsettling. The game doesn't look all that great any longer but I remember being freaked out in the second level in Shadar Logoth with Mashadar creeping along towards me. The sound design is also pretty good for making things creepy. I recognize the wall of death (machin shin) is using lines from the book and it's a lot more unsettling how it sounds in the game than how I always imagined it in my head. I think the audio book version ruined that element for me.

Bedlam

I'm currently reading through the tor.com re-read of the series and having played a couple levels of the PC game I got curious enough to look around for this. Figured it'd be in The Ways and sure enough I found it briefly in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=mgarTnoBqQQ#t=804s
Ahh, thanks for looking it up. I see it was a wall of whispering faces, not screaming faces.

Too bad the guy in the video only looks at the wall very briefly at the end. Anyway, I remember being pretty freaked out by it back then.

Spider-ManandtheX-MeninArcadesRevenge060.png

There's Gambit's level from Arcade's Revenge. Not very exciting. Pretty forgettable. Certainly not anywhere near the top. But it's a wall of death and deserves to at least be acknowledged.

Forkball

The scariest thing about the Final Fantasy walls is X-Zone/Crush/whatever else instant kill move. "Oh, your party? YOU WON'T BE NEEDING THEM ANYMORE."

demidar

People who are afraid of spiders for no rational reason have only themselves to blame.

Oh no it's very rational. They can be deathly toxic, look disgusting when hairy, can be small enough to creep and breed in unseens areas and the most scariest part: they can cling to walls and ceilings. Reach behind something to grab a thing or plug a jack and you might get bitten in return. They can rappel on to your face if they really hate you or climb into your ears.

Some people hate snakes instead but c'mon they're totally cute and easy to see.

szaromir

Banned
Oh no it's very rational. They can be deathly toxic, look disgusting when hairy, can be small enough to creep and breed in unseens areas and the most scariest part: they can cling to walls and ceilings. Reach behind something to grab a thing or plug a jack and you might get bitten in return. They can rappel on to your face if they really hate you or climb into your ears.

Some people hate snakes instead but c'mon they're totally cute and easy to see.
Some spiders are indeed dangerous species, it doesn't mean one should freak out when a spider is displayed on a screen since there's no imminent threat.

Top Bottom