• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is using a PS5/XB1 as an external hard drive for PS5/XSX a feasible idea?

GloveSlap

Edit- Meant to write PS4/XB1 in title

Just a weird idea I had. We all know the new SSDs are pretty small. People have been talking about hooking up an external 3.5 drive to their PS5/XSX for back compaptible games and to copy games back and forth to the SSD.

I'm curious if it would be technically possible for Microsoft to come out with an update that lets you hook up your XB1 to XSX via a USB cable to make use of the XB1's hard drive. The XB1 running in standby mode during this would obviously be ideal, but they can already download in standby so i don't see how that would be an issue.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I have a question too. I thought I read that you could use an external slow spacious hard drive to save the games if you didn’t play them often and load them to the internal hard drive when you needed them. Is that a thing?

Last edited:

_SAKY_

Feasible in that it could be done easily? Probably, yeah. Feasible in that is is likely/probable to happen? Hell no and why? Disassemble your old console and buy a cheap USB 3.1 enclosure if you are trying to save a buck. I just.....why?

MrFunSocks

Banned
I have a question too. I thought I read that you could use an external slow spacious hard drive to save the games if you didn’t play them often and load them to the internal hard drive when you needed them. Is that a thing?
Yes this is a thing with Xbox series s/x at least. You can use any external HDD that is USB 3.0 and 256gb or higher (or whatever the limit was on XB1) as “cold storage” for Series S/X games, or to store and play BC games directly from. If you want to play a Series S/X game you will need to transfer it to the internal SSD (or expansion SSD), and the time it takes to do it will depend on your type of external.

To answer OP, it actually might be possible since the Xbox one has network transfer. You can probably store XB1 game on the XB1 and then transfer them to the Series S/X via network transfer. Not a chance of playing them directly from the XB1 internal drive though.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Yes this is a thing with Xbox series s/x at least. You can use any external HDD that is USB 3.0 and 256gb or higher (or whatever the limit was on XB1) as “cold storage” for Series S/X games, or to store and play BC games directly from. If you want to play a Series S/X game you will need to transfer it to the internal SSD (or expansion SSD), and the time it takes to do it will depend on your type of external.

To answer OP, it actually might be possible since the Xbox one has network transfer. You can probably store XB1 game on the XB1 and then transfer them to the Series S/X via network transfer. Not a chance of playing them directly from the XB1 internal drive though.
Awesome. I won’t be needing to upgrade the internal storage for a while.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Awesome. I won’t be needing to upgrade the internal storage for a while.
Yeh same. I’m fine with a 5 minute transfer time for games once I’ve got 800gb of next gen games installed. I’ve got 8TB of external HDDs hooked up to my XB1 already so I’m good and prepared.

From digital foundry, the quickest transfer time for a big BC game was around 2.5 minutes from an external SSD to the internal SSD. That’s nothing, I have no problem with that. Longest was like 7 minutes for external HDD to internal SSD. Even that’s fine with me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom