• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Xcloud and PSnow already in trouble after Stadia revealed to be the cheapest Streaming service? (And lagging behind with 5G?)

Is Xcloud and PSnow in trouble after $9 Stadia announcement? Also, not jumping on 5G?

• Yes

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Possibly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neutral

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Not yet

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Not at all

Votes: 87 87.0%

• Total voters
Google recently announced the Stadia will be at regular price (excluding promotions and deals that will make it cheaper) of only $9.99 a month. This is cheaper than PSNow which is at $19.99 a month, and Xcloud which is bundled with Gold Ultimate which is $14.99 a month. That's a discount of over 50%!

Another thing to consider, PSnow is the only one of the two to have a head stat, but a good chunk of it is PS3 games and a good number of PS4 games have latency issues and connection reliability issues. Xcloud hasn't even past the beta yet.

Google already has a line-up of games ready and the service releases THIS year. Sony has in recent months been scrambling to modernize PSnow, which won't likely be in the condition they want until 2020, which will also be the same time Xcloud is ready and has a line-up. This is giving Google a year head start.

As you can see the media is also covering stadia as the head of the spear. It's getting a lot more attention post E3 than, surprisingly, PS5 and Xbox 4 news. With a top Sony staff member admitting that it's time to change, and Microsoft licensing out Azure because they expect companies to jump on streaming fast, this presents a problem for Xcloud and PSnow.

Finally, there have already been companies jumping on the streaming wagon that already have a foothold in the market, though niche. These services which already have content are updating and trying to match the new standards that Stadia has set. Because of this PSnow and Xcloud will be way behind by 2020.

It is very likely that Xcloud and PSnow won't be real competitors due to releasing so late. I believe that it will spell trouble for Sony and Microsoft. Especially in the 5G compatibility department, which neither Sony nor MS has started working on yet. A huge mistake that will bite them once they join the market way after dozens of other companies do.

Don’t you have to still buy all the games you want to play?

You have to do that with PSnow and Xcloud as well. On Stadia for $9.99 a month only, you have access to hit games and discounts on the huge titles. So you are always playing.

There has been no xCloud pricing announced.

As I clearly said in the OP, MS announced that Xcloud will be included in the $14.99 Gold Ultimate bundle.

As I said we are looking at over a 50% discount.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
It is very likely that Xcloud and PSnow won't be real competitors due to releasing so late.
4N1YDfO.png

I'll have some of whatever you're smoking.

Arkage

Banned
You have to do that with PSnow and Xcloud as well. On Stadia for $9.99 a month only, you have access to hit games and discounts on the huge titles. So you are always playing.

As I clearly said in the OP, MS announced that Xcloud will be included in the $14.99 Gold Ultimate bundle.

Pretty sure you don’t buy individual games over PSNow. Also there’s no info on how xCloud will work but its likely to be a free addition to the Ultimate Game Pass bundle, which also means you don’t individual buy games.

The only free game announced for Stadia AFAIK is Destiny 2’s new expansion and older expansions which are dirt cheap, and even that is only for a “limited time”. It’ll probably work like Xbox Gold or PS Plus where they rotate games in and out of the “free” category.

demigod

How about stop lying. You don't have to pay for any game that's on PSNow.

demigod

I never said that you had to by single games on PSnow. I said that you do have to buy games, PSnow games don't last forever.

What is a lie is both of you implying Stadia offers no free games with the sub.

You don't have to buy any games that are on PSNow, that's a fact so stop lying. Enjoy your F2P games on Stadia.

You don't have to buy any games that are on PSNow,

Which I never said, and you ignored what I posted, posted this same statement twice, and failed to respond to my statement about you making up that Google isn't giving free games.

Please calm down and address my post thank you. Not put words in mouth.

demigod

Which I never said, and you ignored what I posted, posted this same statement twice, and failed to respond to my statement about you making up that Google isn't giving free games.

Please calm down and address my post thank you. Not put words in mouth.

You sure did say you have to buy games on PSNow, and that's false. Stop trying to weasel your way out of it. Let me know when Stadia gives out free AAA full priced games and not just cheap F2P/indie/10 year old games.

LordOfChaos

It's hard to see Microsoft not being able to undercut on a cost basis with them being the platform holder for Azure, which Sony is also using. Google is in a distant third for such a platform, Amazon in first has no skin in the game.

You sure did say you have to buy games on PSNow, and that's false. Stop trying to weasel your way out of it.

I like how you repeat the same false statement with no context, instead of addressing your factual like of Google not giving free games. It seems you are not capable of discussion and just want to start a fight, have a nice day demifog. Please address the posts you ignored next time if you want discussion. Thank you.

demigod

I like how you repeat the same false statement with no context, instead of addressing your factual like of Google not giving free games. It seems you are not capable of discussion and just want to start a fight, have a nice day demifog. Please address the posts you ignored next time if you want discussion. Thank you.

Can you name the free games?

I mean provide an actual link to an actual article that discusses the pricing.

It's not an article, they literally had a slide at the presentations with Phil directly saying that Xcloud would be included in Gold Ultimate. Which is if not mistaken, $14.99

Are you really trying to compare 700+ free games vs maybe 1-3 per month on the Stadia side?

That doesn't make sense.

Indie games, Mobile games, and A and maybe some AA titles will likely all be on the free side. Especially since its streaming. One to free? That doesn't even make sense. This isn't PS+.

sol_bad

It's not an article, they literally had a slide at the presentations with Phil directly saying that Xcloud would be included in Gold Ultimate. Which is if not mistaken, $14.99

Well provide a screenshot or link to the right moment in the conference. The articles I am finding are saying that Microsoft haven't announced a price for Xcloud.

DanielsM

Banned
It's hard to see Microsoft not being able to undercut on a cost basis with them being the platform holder for Azure, which Sony is also using. Google is in a distant third for such a platform, Amazon in first has no skin in the game.

Sony is not using Azure, they have an understanding to possibly work on some technology, but no deal is in place. I'm not even sure either the Xbox One or PS4 are running on VM, so not sure there would be any real cost savings in any kind of way at this point - basically boxes in custom racks. Guessing PS5/Xbox Next would be able to ran in VM, but above my pay grade. Not sure about the whole undercutting, all costs still remain plus more over native playing, generally speaking.

What people are going to realize, eventually after all the initial pricing and deals - this is generally going to be more expensive.

BTW OP, 5g is just a transport layer. :messenger_tears_of_joy: Do you even know what that is?

What exactly are they suppose to be working on? Curious minds would love to know.
which neither Sony nor MS has started working on yet

Last edited:
Well provide a screenshot or link to the right moment in the conference. The articles I am finding are saying that Microsoft haven't announced a price for Xcloud.

You could at least try googling the Going ultimate xcloud bundle instead if you don't believe it. Plenty of articles on it.

sol_bad

You could at least try googling the Going ultimate xcloud bundle instead if you don't believe it. Plenty of articles on it.

I found this.

"We haven't talked about the business model yet. We're here with the public preview to let people try it out, which is cool. It's the first time we've had a hands-on for people who don't work at Microsoft, so we're learning a lot and listening a lot. We announced a date for when it's coming, and we will be talking about a business model before it comes so people know what to do to sign up. As you think about a subscription like Xbox Game Pass, I do think the idea of Xbox Game Pass and an xCloud-like subscription makes a ton of sense. Think about what the convergence of those two things looks like. I think it's smart to think about. We haven't announced anything there, but I'd say that idea makes a ton of sense. How do I build my library? Xbox Game Pass is a great way for you to secure a bunch of content. Then, how do I get access to that library wherever I go? Do I use hardware that's Microsoft's or hardware that's my own in my home?"

Again, no price announced, just that it makes sense to bundle it. It's what Sony has, streaming + ability to download games. If MS charged seperate for the streaming service they'd be at a disadvantage. The fact remains, right now, there is no price/business model officially announced.

bitbydeath

That doesn't make sense.

Indie games, Mobile games, and A and maybe some AA titles will likely all be on the free side. Especially since its streaming. One to free? That doesn't even make sense. This isn't PS+.

It’s going to be filled with mobile games?
Stadia can’t get any worse, this is starting to sound like Ouya 2.0.

We already have stadia shills here? I guess Google really studied the market before launching their service!

As others pointed out:
- Apparently you still need to "buy"your games on stadia, which makes it kind of the worse of both worlds, or did that change?
- you can pay yearly for psnow, it comes cheaper..

DanielsM

Banned
We already have stadia shills here? I guess Google really studied the market before launching their service!

As others pointed out:
- Apparently you still need to "buy"your games on stadia, which makes it kind of the worse of both worlds, or did that change?
- you can pay yearly for psnow, it comes cheaper..

No it didn't change.

Its a silly business model. At least with a normal Virtual Desktop model you have control the Desktop say Windows, you could than buy games from any store, in this case you're not really getting Desktop so its restricted to the Google Stadia store. Something like Shadow Blade at least makes a little more sense as if you want to quit the service you could always move your Steam games over to your local computer.

Smoke6

Right here is where you fucked up dude!

Just leave it alone and take accountability for your mistakes and move on!

LordOfChaos

Sony is not using Azure, they have an understanding to possibly work on some technology, but no deal is in place. I'm not even sure either the Xbox One or PS4 are running on VM, so not sure there would be any real cost savings in any kind of way at this point - basically boxes in custom racks. Guessing PS5/Xbox Next would be able to ran in VM, but above my pay grade. Not sure about the whole undercutting, all costs still remain plus more over native playing, generally speaking.

What people are going to realize, eventually after all the initial pricing and deals - this is generally going to be more expensive.

I was speaking relative to other cloud gaming providers, not local hardware

Top Bottom