• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Xcloud and PSnow already in trouble after Stadia revealed to be the cheapest Streaming service? (And lagging behind with 5G?)

Is Xcloud and PSnow in trouble after $9 Stadia announcement? Also, not jumping on 5G?

• Yes

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Possibly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neutral

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Not yet

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Not at all

Votes: 87 87.0%

• Total voters
I hope I'm not out of line, but this is a strange thread, I'm not sure the OP knows exactly what Stadia is against what Sony and Xbox have. As far as I understand it Stadia is "free", as far as services go, but you have to pay for each game, no subscription is necessary. You can pay 9.99 a month for what sounds like PSN+ or Games with Gold. You get game(s) each month (?), I don't think we know more than Destiny 2 as being apart of the 9.99 so far. Did they say anything else about how many games you get with the 9.99 a month?
MS will have Xcloud for streaming, and they currently have Gamepass which I believe you download those games to your xbox to play. Sony has PSNOW, which is mostly streaming (never used it) but PS4 games now allow you to download. So those are monthly subscriptions for streaming, but you get a catalog of games to choose from, which I'm sure rotate in and out. That seems fundamentally different in approach than what Stadia is doing with it's monthly fee. I'd feel a lot better about trying Stadia out if it was purely subscription based and that reason i'll talk about below.
Honestly what makes me not want to get into Stadia is the fact that Google is doing it. Who knows what will happen with Stadia, Google could just shut it all down in a couple years, and then your games are useless, unless they're nice enough to keep servers running to support those games. The fact that you can buy the license for these games but have no way to run it outside of Google itself does not make me want to use it.
I'll be happy to try out Stadia when they offer some kind of 14.99 subscription that has hundreds of games to play.

wolywood

For some reason I thought Stadia was going to be a Netflix type deal where you get access to a library of games with your monthly subscription fee. Finding out I need to spend $10 bucks a month just for the privilege of repurchasing FFXV to stream has absolutely killed any interest I have in this service.

Elenchus

Banned
I understand many here want PSNow to be included in the streaming conversation but I just don’t see how it can be.

PSNow is only available on PS4 and PC. It’s not available on any other devices. PSNow offers download on a selection of its games on PS4 but it has no download option on PC.

How would you even use PSNow on the go to begin with? There are minimum PC specs and the app only works on a windows PC.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.androidcentral.com/playstation-now-everything-you-need-know?amp

Xcloud and Stadia are aiming for a wide array of devices and taking your games on the go.

The one thing that Google could do to help ease the issues I and others have brought forward with their service in particular is - release the custom version of Linux to the world.
They already have two linus distributions that get some attention:
Android
ChromeOS

I think that this is as far as they will go as far as linux is concerned.

DanielsM

Banned
I understand many here want PSNow to be included in the streaming conversation but I just don’t see how it can be.

PSNow is only available on PS4 and PC. It’s not available on any other devices. PSNow offers download on a selection of its games on PS4 but it has no download option on PC.

How would you even use PSNow on the go to begin with? There are minimum PC specs and the app only works on a windows PC.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.androidcentral.com/playstation-now-everything-you-need-know?amp

Xcloud and Stadia are aiming for a wide array of devices and taking your games on the go.

That's because there is no subscribers meaning they had a PS Now app on other devices including PS Vita, PSTV, Bravia TVs, etc but nobody was subscribing. They actually eliminated much of the support because no subscribers.

Is it possible people just don't want the "service"?

They already have two linus distributions that get some attention:
Android
ChromeOS

I think that this is as far as they will go as far as linux is concerned.

I'm meaning the one Stadia is built upon, meaning your games could in theory be transferred to a system under the user's control.

Last edited:

yurinka

PSNow has a huge catalog with hundreds of them, many of them classic exclusive masterpieces, and a way more appealing price than Stadia, which subscription only includes Destiny 2 and all the other (only 31 at launch) games should be purchased separatedly.

We still don't know the subscription pricing of xCloud and the xCloud library of games to be streamed from MS servers using that subscription. All we know is that under the xCloud label they will add a Remote Play feature to scream from your console to another devices the games you already own.

They mentioned PS Now will receive 4K 60fps upgrade, PS5 games support and will scale the userbase and will bring it to more countries and devices, and they also made that deal with MS to improve their tech.

I think PS+ and PSNow will continue being market leaders for a while and won't be affected by Stadia, who as of now seems more a competition to PS+ than to PS Now.

Last edited:

gspat

The one thing that really bugs me about stadia is that the reveal video streamed like absolute crap during some sections.

That worries me about them streaming games.

And no, it wasn't just my connection.... various live streams I checked out had the same issues.

sol_bad

Let's not forget that the new consoles are guaranteed to primarily run at 4K or close to 4k. You need to pay $150usd or so for an ultra Chrome cast to get 4K Streaming plus the $10 a month. You may as well pay the additional $350usd or so to get the shiny new console. At least you are safe in the knowledge that your games will be forever yours if you buy physical and forever yours if you buy digitally and keep the game on your HDD.

nowhat

You need to pay $150usd or so for an ultra Chrome cast to get 4K Streaming
Uhh, hell no. An Ultra is about $70, deals can be cheaper.

I'm not interested in a streaming-only future, especially if I have to buy games in addition to a subscription, but let us stick to the facts shall we?

sol_bad

Uhh, hell no. An Ultra is about $70, deals can be cheaper.

I'm not interested in a streaming-only future, especially if I have to buy games in addition to a subscription, but let us stick to the facts shall we?

What's the $150 pre-order thing they are talking about then?

*EDIT*
oohh
It comes with the Chromecast + controller.

Last edited:

Elenchus

Banned
That's because there is no subscribers meaning they had a PS Now app on other devices including PS Vita, PSTV, Bravia TVs, etc but nobody was subscribing. They actually eliminated much of the support because no subscribers.

Is it possible people just don't want the "service"?

I'm meaning the one Stadia is built upon, meaning your games could in theory be transferred to a system under the user's control.

If PS Now ran well at launch and wasn’t so poorly priced I’m betting it would have fared better.

Now it’s about to be lapped by other services and all fans can do is point to a superdata estimation of market share for a market that is so underdeveloped that being a market leader has no real meaning.

Sony isn’t dictating anything when it comes to streaming and is instead turning to MS for help. PS Now needs to go back to being widely offered on multiple devices to matter.

DanielsM

Banned
If PS Now ran well at launch and wasn’t so poorly priced I’m betting it would have fared better.

Now it’s about to be lapped by other services and all fans can do is point to a superdata estimation of market share for a market that is so underdeveloped that being a market leader has no real meaning.

Sony isn’t dictating anything when it comes to streaming and is instead turning to MS for help. PS Now needs to go back to being widely offered on multiple devices to matter.

I tried it during the beta in 2014, it worked about the same as OnLive when I tried that. The pricing was a pure rental but that was nearly a half decade ago. It has no real meaning because countless company are doing it today or were doing it in yester years yet no real business has come up of it.... but red ink and bankruptcy.

Sony isn’t dictating anything when it comes to streaming and is instead turning to MS for help.

I never said Sony is dictating anything, this sound like the old console warz. Not sure about helping, Microsoft doesn't even have anything, not sure now why you are bringing up Microsoft to be honest.

Again, my point was very simple instead of getting into a console war, have you considered there just isn't a service that people want? I would love to sell 90 cents for a dollar but I get few takers.

P.S. I would assume most PS owners just stream their own games via Remote Play as that's available on Win8, Win10, MacOS, iOS, Android, PS Vita, and PSTV... its just nobody goes crazy over game streaming.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I'm completely with streaming, but the landscape is wide open and SONY already has their footprint in it. Who knows who takes the lead but this is where you seize the opportunity and at some point SONY will establish and maximize PS Now into a BEAST.

Elenchus

Banned
I tried it during the beta in 2014, it worked about the same as OnLive when I tried that. The pricing was a pure rental but that was nearly a half decade ago. It has no real meaning because countless company are doing it today or were doing it in yester years yet no real business has come up of it.... but red ink and bankruptcy.

I never said Sony is dictating anything, this sound like the old console warz. Not sure about helping, Microsoft doesn't even have anything, not sure now why you are bringing up Microsoft to be honest.

Again, my point was very simple instead of getting into a console war, have you considered there just isn't a service that people want? I would love to sell 90 cents for a dollar but I get few takers.

P.S. I would assume most PS owners just stream their own games via Remote Play as that's available on Win8, Win10, MacOS, iOS, Android, PS Vita, and PSTV... its just nobody goes crazy over game streaming.

It’s not console warring. When people say X company is the “market leader” that suggests X company has some measure of influence and prominence.

Although PSNow was first it hasn’t earned Sony either of those intangibles (clearly). So it’s kinda silly when people trot out the superdata (i.e. wholly unconfirmed) estimates-which happens everytime any criticism of PSNow is voiced.

Only point I’m making is that Sony needs to put PSNow on more devices. Media completely disregard PSNow in the streaming conversation (to the chagrin of many here) because it’s a half ass offering. Sony needs to improve its effort there.

Until it does this race is between MS and Google.

DanielsM

Banned
It’s not console warring. When people say X company is the “market leader” that suggests X company has some measure of influence and prominence.

Although PSNow was first it hasn’t earned Sony either of those intangibles (clearly). So it’s kinda silly when people trot out the superdata (i.e. wholly unconfirmed) estimates-which happens everytime any criticism of PSNow is voiced.

Only point I’m making is that Sony needs to put PSNow on more devices. Media completely disregard PSNow in the streaming conversation (to the chagrin of many here) because it’s a half ass offering. Sony needs to improve its effort there.

Not sure what half this is there are all kinds of service providers, very few customers. Neither are in your silly race even, they don't even have a service.

Sony really doesn't need to improve anything, nobody really wants streaming or pay for it, ask Nvidia.

Top Bottom