• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Xcloud and PSnow already in trouble after Stadia revealed to be the cheapest Streaming service? (And lagging behind with 5G?)

Is Xcloud and PSnow in trouble after $9 Stadia announcement? Also, not jumping on 5G?

• Yes

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Possibly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neutral

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Not yet

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Not at all

Votes: 87 87.0%

• Total voters
Voost Kain just Voost Kain'd himself

Last edited:
Interview with Phil Spencer saying they haven't announced a business model yet.
Voost Kain, "IT'S $14.99!!!!!".

Microsoft: Phil Spencer literally standing in front of E3 screen saying you can get Xcloud for $14.99
Sol: semantics LOL roflcoptter speghetti.

Let's actual look at the facts here, you need to pay $14.99 for Xcloud, and until something else is said that's the only verified way to get it. No dispute possible.

Where is Xcloud mate?
THiOmhq.jpg

This post doesn't work.

1. The post is a very specific part out of context.

2. The other user who liked your post, sol is insane, and he already posted a link with PHILS SPENCER SAYING XCLOUD IS BUNDLED WITH GOLD ULTIMATE ABOVE.

It is not a dispute that ultimate gold includes Xcloud, this is an established fact and there's already a link posted about it. Thank you.

Tripolygon

Banned
Microsoft: Phil Spencer literally standing in front of E3 screen saying you can get Xcloud for $14.99
Sol: semantics LOL roflcoptter speghetti.

Let's actual look at the facts here, you need to pay $14.99 for Xcloud, and until something else is said that's the only verified way to get it. No dispute possible.
This should be easy to screen grab the.

This should be easy to screen grab the.

There is already a link above of Phil bundling Xcloud with gold, this is no longer something to debate. You need to pay $14.99 to get Xcloud. At least for now. But feel free to give us an update if they announce some other prices later, but the revealed way to get Xcloud now is paying $14.99.

Tripolygon

Banned
This post doesn't work.

1. The post is a very specific part out of context.

2. The other user who liked your post, sol is insane, and he already posted a link with PHILS SPENCER SAYING XCLOUD IS BUNDLED WITH GOLD ULTIMATE ABOVE.

It is not a dispute that ultimate gold includes Xcloud, this is an established fact and there's already a link posted about it. Thank you.
Didn't you just say he said it on the E3 stage?

The link that was posted which was an interview outside the E3 stage just says this.
"We haven't talked about the business model yet. As you think about a subscription like Xbox Game Pass, I do think the idea of Xbox Game Pass and an xCloud-like subscription makes a ton of sense. Think about what the convergence of those two things looks like. I think it's smart to think about. We haven't announced anything there, but I'd say that idea makes a ton of sense. How do I build my library? Xbox Game Pass is a great way for you to secure a bunch of content. Then, how do I get access to that library wherever I go? Do I use hardware that's Microsoft's or hardware that's my own in my home?"
This is not a confirmation of price but multiple ideas of how xCloud could fit into already existing Microsoft services. That's not to say if xcloud is included in gamepass, the price won't increase.

Last edited:

Ol'Scratch

Last edited:

sol_bad

There is already a link above of Phil bundling Xcloud with gold, this is no longer something to debate. You need to pay $14.99 to get Xcloud. At least for now. But feel free to give us an update if they announce some other prices later, but the revealed way to get Xcloud now is paying $14.99.

Voost, honest question in all seriousness. Is English your second language?

DESTROYA

Hey Voost did google offer you a free month of service for shilling for them?
How are they already in trouble if google has yet to release anything yet because it’s still in pre order?

No it didn't change.
The part of it that I though made sense - absent or very low friction for adoption doesn't exist, I don't really see it anymore (I wasn't for it, but I could rationalise it) - How many times will you pay for the hardware over the time you end up using a service? What is the rationale behind having a base price every month? I already have Google drive, so it can't be to provide game saves storage... Well actually I know it - since you don't have the hardware and you pay for the game, you can play it years after you "bought" it, let's say you "bought" Mario Kart on a similar service back in 1992... there would be no incentive for the service provider to keep streaming it to you after all this time.

I still don't like it, it makes no sense for the client.

Vawn

Banned
Google should pay Voost to stop shilling for Stadia. As little interest I have in it, every time Voost tries to convince people to buy into Stadia, I'm even less interested.

Stadia 9.99$ monthly plan is optional. Maybe it’s required to play “online”. It’s essentially Playstation Plus.

I’m Stadia can pay for a game once and never pay again to stream it. It’s forever in your library. Unlike Sony’s and Microsoft’s Netflix of games approach.
Gamepass idea is trash. And everyone who loves it right now is the actual problem. Basically turning games into cable tv. Slowly publisher by publisher is gonna have their own gamepass.

All this Stadia hate is pointless. If I was google I’ll just buy roblox and call it a day.

sol_bad

Stadia 9.99$ monthly plan is optional. Maybe it’s required to play “online”. It’s essentially Playstation Plus.

I’m Stadia can pay for a game once and never pay again to stream it. It’s forever in your library. Unlike Sony’s and Microsoft’s Netflix of games approach.
Gamepass idea is trash. And everyone who loves it right now is the actual problem. Basically turning games into cable tv. Slowly publisher by publisher is gonna have their own gamepass.

All this Stadia hate is pointless. If I was google I’ll just buy roblox and call it a day.

Forever?
What happens if Google decide that Stadia isnt making enough money and they shut the streaming servers down?

Kagey K

Banned

Klayzer

Google should pay Voost to stop shilling for Stadia. As little interest I have in it, every time Voost tries to convince people to buy into Stadia, I'm even less interested.
My intrest goes even more into the minus territory everytime I see one of his shill threads.

bukowski81

Comparing the price of stadia with psnow or xcloud is just wrong. To have psnow or xcloud you need a 400 dlls box, maybe 500 or more at launch for next gen systems. Lets suppose it's 400, that is equal to 3.7 years worth of stadia subscription. Apart from that, you dont have to pay every month, you can stop paying and renew the suscription when a game that interests you comes out. If it works how it is suppose to work (a big if I know), Stadia is actually a great deal.

leo-j

Comparing the price of stadia with psnow or xcloud is just wrong. To have psnow or xcloud you need a 400 dlls box, maybe 500 or more at launch for next gen systems. Lets suppose it's 400, that is equal to 3.7 years worth of stadia subscription. Apart from that, you dont have to pay every month, you can stop paying and renew the suscription when a game that interests you comes out. If it works how it is suppose to work (a big if I know), Stadia is actually a great deal.

PS NOW is currently available on the ps4, a 299 box, and any PC (right), with rumors of it launching on IOS with dualshock 4 support coming this Fall for ios devices. To play on ps now all you need is a 5mbps or more connection to stream any of the 750+ ps2, ps3, or ps4 games at 720p. If you have a ps4 you can download any ps2 and ps4 game on the service as well.

Last edited:

bukowski81

PS NOW is currently available on the ps4, a 299 box, and any PC (right), with rumors of it launching on IOS with dualshock 4 support coming this Fall for ios devices. To play on ps now all you need is a 5mbps or more connection to stream any of the 750+ ps2, ps3, or ps4 games at 720p. If you have a ps4 you can download any ps2 and ps4 game on the service as well.

Its still a 299 box that is several years old that you will need to upgrade soon if you want to keep playing the newest games.

I actually didnt know about its availability on PC, but if PS Now starts having all the new release same day as physical, paying only the subscription, then yes, it is a much better deal than stadia, but i doubt that will happen soon.

Sakura

That doesn't make sense.

Indie games, Mobile games, and A and maybe some AA titles will likely all be on the free side. Especially since its streaming. One to free? That doesn't even make sense. This isn't PS+.
You literally have no basis for saying this. You have no idea how many free games will be provided with the subscription, or what the quality of said games will be.
At the moment, all we know is Destiny 2. Sure, maybe there will be a few more. But in what world is 9.99 a month for a handful of games a better value than PSNow? The whole point of Stadia is you have to buy individual games, and you subscribe for some perks.

Barakov

Not in the least. Any benefit they get from a lower price point for subscribing to the service is negated by the fact you still have to buy the games on stadia. While on PSNow and Xcloud all you have to do is get the subscription.

sol_bad

Its still a 299 box that is several years old that you will need to upgrade soon if you want to keep playing the newest games.

I actually didnt know about its availability on PC, but if PS Now starts having all the new release same day as physical, paying only the subscription, then yes, it is a much better deal than stadia, but i doubt that will happen soon.

Even if new games aren't released same day it's still better value.
750 games available for stream compared to ....... 1.

bukowski81

Even if new games aren't released same day it's still better value.
750 games available for stream compared to ....... 1.

Yea no, I understand the appeal of some of playing ps2 or ps3 games, but most people dont care.

The fact is that if someone doesnt have a console and wants to play the new CoD or the new FIFA or whatever, its 70 dollars on stadia or 60 plus whatever the console costs on Playstation.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
The secret Voost Kain trick every accountant hates him for:
- Round 9.99 to 9
- Compare flat rate service to non-flat rate service
- Completely leave out cost for individual games
- Babble something about user end connection technology that is independent of compared products

It only takes these four easy steps to make Stevia look like an attractively priced product!

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Not a fan of Gamepass, because I like to own my games, but Gamepass clearly is the much better offer than Stevia:
- Cheaper
- All of Microsoft's games included day one
- A broad selection of recent games included
- You can download instead of having to stream, which leads to much less input lag, less dependency on the internet connection, much more stable performance
- The big negative is, that games can be removed from the service or the service can be discontinued. Both can happen on Stevia as well though.

Stevia? So the games are going to taste sweet???
Initially, but it'll leave a shitty aftertaste in your mouth.

So 9,99 a month to play destiny 2 or 14.99 to play nearly 250 games, including day 1 AAA and AA games? Is that even a choice?

Last edited:

Tumle

Yea no, I understand the appeal of some of playing ps2 or ps3 games, but most people dont care.

The fact is that if someone doesnt have a console and wants to play the new CoD or the new FIFA or whatever, its 70 dollars on stadia or 60 plus whatever the console costs on Playstation.
You can’t play stadia on thin air.. I know it’s cloud based but you still need something to play it on😉

bukowski81

You can’t play stadia on thin air.. I know it’s cloud based but you still need something to play it on😉

Stadia can be a failure because of many reasons, but I assure you that the fact that you need a tv or a pc is not one of them ;)

Tumle

Stadia can be a failure because of many reasons, but I assure you that the fact that you need a tv or a pc is not one of them ;)
Not talking about it being a failure, but that you do need some kind of hardware to play it since that’s left out when comparing with psnow.. 😊

logicslayer

Xbox and PlayStation are safe from Google. You have physical options with Xbox and PlayStation. With Google, you can be left with just a controller in your hand and nothing to show for it.

meirl

Banned
LOL

„Xcloud which is bundled with Gold Ultimate which is $14.99 a month.“

Dude, Gold ultimate is so much more than xcloud. You can’t just take that, there is much more inside.

Also, if you get the new Xbox, you can use xcloud basically for FREE, you know that right?

Kagey K

Banned
LOL
Also, if you get the new Xbox, you can use xcloud basically for FREE, you know that right?

If you already own an Xbox one, you can use your Xbox as a free Xcloud server. No need to get a new Xbox.

Sorry just a small correction to your post.

DanielsM

Banned
The part of it that I though made sense - absent or very low friction for adoption doesn't exist, I don't really see it anymore (I wasn't for it, but I could rationalise it) - How many times will you pay for the hardware over the time you end up using a service? What is the rationale behind having a base price every month? I already have Google drive, so it can't be to provide game saves storage... Well actually I know it - since you don't have the hardware and you pay for the game, you can play it years after you "bought" it, let's say you "bought" Mario Kart on a similar service back in 1992... there would be no incentive for the service provider to keep streaming it to you after all this time.

I still don't like it, it makes no sense for the client.

In the business world there is reasons to possibly go to a virtual desktop environment, but the benefits (if there are any) really don't transition over to the consumer side of the house at all. I think Sony has made some points about PS Now and streaming, meaning they said, "we want to preserve these games". At some point all these games get harder and harder to move forward and preserve, in that sense I get the idea of running older games from the cloud because most games are not going to be preserved and enjoyed.

The one thing that Google could do to help ease the issues I and others have brought forward with their service in particular is - release the custom version of Linux to the world.

- People could than build their own box or the PC manufacturers could as well thereby giving everyone a landing spot for their games if they stop using the service or Google shuts it down
- This could also potentially be something people/businesses/governments could rally behind in time for more competition in the PC OS market i.e. Windows (probably wishful thinking but you never know)

The problem is google want no exits.

Top Bottom