• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Israel Successfully Hacked ISIS Computers; Trump Leaked It to the Russians, NYT Repor

Stencil

So, forgive me, I am not very educated on this topic (ISIS). I understand the sheer incompetence of Trump blurting out sensitive information. But if he told Russia, what is the fear in telling Iran?

Also why is the article so detailed about what the information was? I feel like telling everyone exactly what was said is not very productive in this case.

effzee

So, forgive me, I am not very educated on this topic (ISIS). I understand the sheer incompetence of Trump blurting out sensitive information. But if he told Russia, what is the fear in telling Iran?

Also why is the article so detailed about what the information was? I feel like telling everyone exactly what was said is not very productive in this case.

Russia has traditionally supported or allied with Iran.

Israel fears and props up Iran as its boogeyman. They fear if the information ends up in Iran, they could theoretically use the same explosives to bypass Israeli defenses via the groups they support.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I kinda got the feeling it might be this or something like it at the time. It felt like more than a regular Trump oops. And Russia benefits from all chaos. Regardless of Iran geopoly This was a lever for them no matter what. He must have clapped with glee when his mandarin candidate blurted that out

Your president is absolutely insane, America. ONE of these reports would break any government in the world, and this guy has a few of this caliber per month. How much is it gonna take for diehards to realize this guy is not fit for his position?????

We have a lot of people who are disengaged, and inclined to believe that negative/positive news in either direction is more so partisan propaganda than a report of what's actually happening. It would take something like live video footage of Trump doing something treasonous to shake up a lot of people who otherwise feel like negative news about Trump is a liberal attempt to discredit him and positive news about Trump is a conservative attempt to vindicate him. I think a big issue in the US is that there is no single media source that garners a lot of trust across the entire populace. I was watching Sky News and BBC during the UK election and was genuinely surprised at how even-handed and honest it was in comparison to American TV news, which is basically just people paid to support a view point shouting it at each other with few attempts made to actually communicate a basic, foundational truth to the audience. It relies on letting contributors run wild with persuasive arguments and just letting the audience decide which is most compelling. It is, in my opinion, not even really news.

Maedre

Banned
The has to be a point where he needs to go because of incompetence.

Even Spicer would be a better president.

He’ll even I would be better and I’m not even an American.

spelen

Terrible that Trump told the Russians but I can't help but feel like this article has all but guaranteed that the intelligence is compromised going forward

Yup, people still convinced that he's innocent, huh.

Um you do realize that the majority of the country cannot simply go out and protest, even if people wanted to, because they have other things to do. It doesn't work like that.

People have mentioned it before (and even referenced South Korea!), but geography also plays a major role. Not everyone has hours or days to spare for multi million person marches, demonstrations and protests for days, weeks and months on end. The US is huge (unlike France, Japan and South Korea) and many of the people being hurt most by Trump and Republican policies can't even afford the travel costs to begin with.

mess

See:

I state pretty clearly that I understand there are factors that make it much less likely.
They are not insurmountable in my opinion, but do make things more difficult than a SK scenario.

However, let's not pretend that country wide protests would actually happen if someone managed to organize protests that could reduce or mitigate those factors.

The real issue is that a large portion of the country actually support this fuckface and enable his behavior.

That is why the country is a fucking lost cause at this point.

Terrible that Trump told the Russians but I can't help but feel like this article has all but guaranteed that the intelligence is compromised going forward

No junior. The existence of this article guaranteed that Trump compromised the intelligence from when he told the Russians.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
No junior. The existence of this article guaranteed that Trump compromised the intelligence from when he told the Russians.
So can someone explain this to me. From what we know Trump told the Russians that they had solid intelligence from a partner that ISIS were planning to use laptop bombs in 'X' city. There was no guarantee that this information would reach ISIS and if it did they would not necessarily know a) the source of the info, b) how the info was obtained. The press reports:
a) Guaranteed that ISIS were informed that the US knew their plans
b) Let them know which partner supplied the info
c) Let ISIS know how the information was obtained

Jag

So can someone explain this to me. From what we know Trump told the Russians that they had solid intelligence from a partner that ISIS were planning to use laptop bombs in 'X' city. There was no guarantee that this information would reach ISIS and if it did they would not necessarily know a) the source of the info, b) how the info was obtained. The press reports:
a) Guaranteed that ISIS were informed that the US knew their plans
b) Let them know which partner supplied the info
c) Let ISIS know how the information was obtained

It's been explained a few times in this thread. I will add that our intelligence apparatus is geared towards keeping information from the Russians, not giving it to them. Not to mention Russian hacking is what put Trump in office.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It's been explained a few times in this thread. I will add that our intelligence apparatus is geared towards keeping information from the Russians, not giving it to them. Not to mention Russian hacking is what put Trump in office.
I'm not really seeing any explanation. I mean why did we the people (and ISIS) need to know this info was obtained from computer hacking? Why leak that to the press and why publish that?

spelen

compromised the info to the Russians I agree but to my knowledge their was no evidence that Russians had passed the info on to their Iranian friends nor that ISIS was aware that their computers where compromised.

Top Bottom