• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Issues with Cuphead's sound design . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so I found another new video that was presumably not captured at the same event as the one at Gamescom. This should isolate it from any kind of issue with the capture equipment that Microsoft provided at the event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj2Ly9n7UBo

I'm watching it with my volume cranked all the way up in my earbuds, and all gunfire and impact sounds are still effectively silent. If there even is a sound effect that I'm supposed to be hearing, it's so low that it doesn't even register for me.

I can hear both gun types easily in that video. Anything louder would get annoying pretty fast.

Pandy

What? Did I miss the bit where the developer said that Rez was the inspiration for Cuphead?
Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot that all those cartoons had soundtracks that had nothing to do with the visuals on screen, and weren't intended to be in time with them in any way shape or form.

My mistake.

The music is good, as music, it just doesn't fit the action at all. It doesn't even adapt when the boss gets knocked out.

I can hear both gun types easily in that video. Anything louder would get annoying pretty fast.

Just imagine how it would be if pressing the fire button effectively turned on and off the fast and light beats of the percussion in the music. Would feel amazing.

Orlov

Sound is amazing. When I'm watching gameplays, it's just like watching reruns of those cartoons from the forties and fifties when i was a kid, almost twenty fife years ago...

Calabi

Am I the only one who can pretty clearly hear that gunfire and the plip-plip-plip of the impacts?

It's quiet, but "effectively silent" is serious hyperbole.

edit: ok, so it's not just me. Do you maybe have high-resistance earbuds/need an amp?

Yeah I can here it as well. Sounds fine to me. You have to be careful with sounds, they can be really grating if used in a bad way.

score01

I understand where you're coming from op. The visuals are gorgeous but there does seem to be a disconnect some where in the feedback or sound design. Can't quite put my finger on what it is.

All I know is it's likely going to have one of my top-3 soundtracks of the year.

It would be really annoying to hear loud, constant shooting. That being said, I think an option to increase its loudness should be added for those who prefer it.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Man, I dig the artstyle sooooo much. I wish it would released on PS4 as well. oh well you cant have everything.

Babyshams

its fine to say "I personally don't like the way this sounds."

But to argue its sound design is abysmal when its clearly replicating an old sound for aesthetic purposes...

Like are you for real? are you a real person?

Yeah the sound design is indeed not the best. In a game with so much shit on screen I hope the final game will have a bit more sound feedback when hitting enemies or being hit.

The music is really cool but a bit too present. If it was made to highlight your progress like in Doom, it would not need as much sound design, but this gameplay video feels like a bit of a mess and I think it's a lot due to the lack of sound feedback.

Edit : Cuphead always made me think of Mickey Mania, which even had a B&W Disney style level at the beginning, and they managed to make the music catchy and the sound effects obvious : https://youtu.be/6znkZOa5EBE

Of course, that's not a shooter, so...

Artanisix

Okay, so I found another new video that was presumably not captured at the same event as the one at Gamescom. This should isolate it from any kind of issue with the capture equipment that Microsoft provided at the event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj2Ly9n7UBo

I'm watching it with my volume cranked all the way up in my earbuds, and all gunfire and impact sounds are still effectively silent. If there even is a sound effect that I'm supposed to be hearing, it's so low that it doesn't even register for me.

yeah you're actually deaf if you can't hear the sound effects, sorry

either that or your earbuds are like trash-quality tier

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I get what you’re saying Scoularis but I’m fairly sure it’s intentional and honestly, every time I see this game I get sucked into watching it like it’s a cartoon from that era so it’s like my mind subconsciously expects muted sounds. So I guess it doesn’t bother me like it does you and others?

Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot that all those cartoons had soundtracks that had nothing to do with the visuals on screen, and weren't intended to be in time with them in any way shape or form.

My mistake.

Look at 2D platform/shooters of the past, ones based on Disney ip's for example. This has never been a thing. I don't get why you'd expect it of Cuphead.

AgeEighty

I have a different problem with the sound than you do, OP.

So much loving craft was put into making the visuals mimic a 1920s/1930s cartoon, but not nearly as much attention was paid to the sound. The game looks like an old cartoon, but it doesn't sound like one.

In actual cartoons of that era, the music was a big part of the storytelling. Go watch old Looney Tunes or Tom & Jerry and you find that the incidental music was always a character in the action. Rather than just being an ongoing track, it would accompany and react to the actual action on screen. Accomplishing that in Cuphead might have been a lot more difficult, but other games (like Rayman Legends) have accomplished it.

Additionally, the music should have had a muffled filter applied to it in order to mimic what you hear in old cartoons, along with significant popping and hissing (you can hear this in between scenes but it seems to vanish during actual gameplay). As it stands, the music sounds practically CD-quality. Yet the sound effects have the muffled sound I'm looking for, so it creates a huge inconsistency in the sound design.

Additionally, it feels to me like the style of jazz they used doesn't really fit the era.

This game is such a love letter to old cartoons visually, but the sound just doesn't come nearly as close. It's not going to prevent me from playing of course, but I just think they underestimated the importance of incidental music to the illusion they were trying to create.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
totally agree with the OP. Also, what the fuck is tht ABYSMAL weird filter? It looks like a old movie, wtf, Where are my 4K hi res graphics, I dont want no fucking old timer filter.

And that music is ABYSMAL, what is this, the 1920s? Where's my dubstep, get some Skrillex on there.

2/10

Baleoce

I'm no sound designer, but just listening to it, it feels like a lot of the percussive instruments that occupy similar frequency ranges as the intended game sound effects are too loud, and it becomes almost disorienting to the player. Like I'm not sure what to be listening to for gameplay feedback.

ScOULaris

totally agree with the OP. Also, what the fuck is tht ABYSMAL weird filter? It looks like a old movie, wtf, Where are my 4K hi res graphics, I dont want no fucking old timer filter.

And that music is ABYSMAL, what is this, the 1920s? Where's my dubstep, get some Skrillex on there.

2/10

Funny that you sarcastically agree the with OP when you clearly didn't read it.

I made the following post in this thread prior to the game's release:

I think a lot of GAF users (including myself) could do a better job at setting a better tone for the topics we'd like to discuss. I actually think this is an interesting discussion to have, but that thread title is not helping to drive conservation in a meaningful direction. Not trying to single out the OP, as a thread I made in the past was titled "LttP: Tearaway Unfolded...this game is really, really boring". Not one of my finer moments.

I personally get where he's coming from though. This is definitely a deliberate choice, based on the era this game is inspired by, but I can see myself being disappointed that the sound effects lack a certain "punch" when I get my hands on the game. But, we'll see.

I'd like to focus on the bolded. So yeah, I've played through most of the game at this point . And I can safely say the sound design in this game is downright phenomenal.

Apart from the sound effect when you hit an enemy being nearly non-existent I thought that the muted style was fine? I really like the enemy death noise. They do need to add a more audible sound to indicate contact though.

You can hear it a tiny bit when he shoots the mushroom:
https://youtu.be/iMkCIdGikmk?t=29

but they need to turn that up a fair bit so that you can hear it over the rest of the music/sound effects. That being said lol at people not getting the difference between soundtrack and sound-design. I've had similar problems when trying to talk about game design rather than gameplay so I know your feels OP.

2/10

sGC4IAZ.gif

I love the sound desing, it fits perfectly

Love the look and the sound.. However, some of the singing in these songs is just too clear. Feels a bit out of place. Needs to sound like it was recorded in a saltine box on the other side of the room. So more muffled, and maybe crackly.

brawly

It's purely subjective but I have to mute the game after 2-3 tries per boss. The music and announcer guy get too annoying.

ScOULaris

OP checking in with an update now that the game is out.

My concerns about the overly subdued and limp gunfire and bullet impact sounds have been completely allayed. Everything sounds great while playing, so I think that YouTube compression might be to blame for the low drone of gunfire in this game sounding near-silent in gameplay videos.

Congrats to the developers of this game. It's going to be a great success and completely deserves it. Thanks to m0dus for editing my originally hyperbolic thread title as well.

Pandy

Look at 2D platform/shooters of the past, ones based on Disney ip's for example. This has never been a thing. I don't get why you'd expect it of Cuphead.

Eh? The whole point of the thread is that by 2D platform game standards the sound design is really weak.

The defense given was that we were supposed to be judging Cuphead by the audio standards of the cartoons it emulates, not those of a video game.
It doesn't matter, though. As it stands it fails on both counts.

OP checking in with an update now that the game is out.

My concerns about the overly subdued and limp gunfire and bullet impact sounds have been completely allayed. Everything sounds great while playing, so I think that YouTube compression might be to blame for the low drone of gunfire in this game sounding near-silent in gameplay videos.

Congrats to the developers of this game. It's going to be a great success and completely deserves it. Thanks to m0dus for editing my originally hyperbolic thread title as well.

Haven't seen any of the new batch of videos. Would be good if this was all just down to some recording glitch.

EricB

I love the sound design in this game!

It mimics the scratchy pops you get from old vinyl record players nicely and definitely fits the aesthetic. This game looks and sounds aces.

Not only that, but it kind if reminds me of the voices from old arcade brawlers like TMNT and The Simpsons for some reason. Maybe it is the muffled, arcadeiness.

As an aside, does anyone else think that this game feels a lot like Megaman X if you remap the controls (with dash set to a shoulder button obviously)?

Galang

Banned
The music is already so good I never noticed. The sound as it is now is fine especially as I'm always constantly shooting. Plus many bosses use pronounced sound cues so you can prepare for certain attacks. I definitely like the balance they have now

AgeEighty

I love the muted sorta gibberish voice acting in the game. That is spot on for the era.

The sound FX for the game are spot on; it's the soundtrack that I think misses the mark a little, both in style and execution. It's better in actual in-person play than it seemed in trailers, but it still doesn't quite capture the era.

Aizo

Banned
The sound FX for the game are spot on; it's the soundtrack that I think misses the mark a little, both in style and execution. It's better in actual in-person play than it seemed in trailers, but it still doesn't quite capture the era.
1930s Jazz doesn’t capture the era of the 1930s?

Rydeen

1930s Jazz doesn't capture the era of the 1930s?
The music in Cuphead is less this:

https://youtu.be/m_-IpeU2Su4

And more this

https://youtu.be/27BfZO2BDo0

The music of the era Cuphead is trying to emulate was more late 20's-early 30's swing jazz, when the music in-game sounds more like ragtime from earlier in the 1920's, it's a slight difference, but a big one when trying to emulate the style of the cartoons of the late 20's and early 30's. Like if you were trying to emulate Spielberg movies, you'd want it to have a soundtrack like John Williams and not an ambient synth soundtrack like Tangerine Dream or Giorgio Moroder, even though both were contemporary in the 80's.

AgeEighty

The music in Cuphead is less this:

https://youtu.be/m_-IpeU2Su4

And more this

https://youtu.be/27BfZO2BDo0

The music of the era Cuphead is trying to emulate was more late 20's-early 30's swing jazz, when the music in-game sounds more like ragtime from earlier in the 1920's, it's a slight difference, but a big one when trying to emulate the style of the cartoons of the late 20's and early 30's. Like if you were trying to emulate Spielberg movies, you'd want it to have a soundtrack like John Williams and not an ambient synth soundtrack like Tangerine Dream or Giorgio Moroder, even though both were contemporary in the 80's.

Exactly.

If you watch a bunch of Looney Tunes, Tom & Jerry etc., it was more small orchestra than jazz/ragtime band: more horns and strings, very little piano. A lot of the background music in those cartoons was slower ballads, and recognizable hits of the time like "It Had to Be You" et al. And even the more upbeat stuff was a little different. Not all 1930s music was the same style.

I also maintain that they needed to add more of a muffled filter to it to match the effects.

Other than a handful of songs, the soundtrack sounds like swing/jazz. There's barely any piano used at all. There's like one ragtime song, and it's not like old 30s cartoons didn't use ragtime occasionally.

AgeEighty

Other than a handful of songs, the soundtrack sounds like swing/jazz. There's barely any piano used at all. There's like one ragtime song, and it's not like old 30s cartoons didn't use ragtime occasionally.

My point was that those cartoons actually didn't use jazz or swing much, at least not quite the same style this game uses most of the time.

This is an unlockable after you
acquire P-ranks (read: pacifist) for all the run & gun stages

Good to know, but it makes me wonder why they didn't do that by default. It's kind of jarring to hear CD-quality music next to the sound effects that do have that filter on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom