• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It‘s been 2 years, 8 months & 15 days since a Sony-owned studio announced a brand new, non-VR single player game.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
There's an old Slavic anecdote:

A man writes a letter to a match factory: “I have been buying matches from your factory for 10 years now and always counting the number of matches in the box. One day you put 59, then 60 pieces, sometimes 61, and yesterday you put 56. Are you fucking crazy?”

Thread gives me the same vibe.

GHG

Gold Member
It's dead and it's a huge waste of potential.

Honestly I don't know why they even bothered with the PSVR2 considering their complete lack of support. Glad I was put off buying one because of the fact that they didn't make all the ps4 psvr titles compatible.

Robb

Gold Member

traffic-driving.gif

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
what is sony doing?! wolverine is not coming out for another couple years
Making games. The days of announcing a game 4 years before its out are long gone. Part of that is that it's a marketing nightmare. The other part is to take pressure off teams.

Naughty Dog said recently that the reason they haven't shown anything yet and won't til it's close to release is to not stress out the team working on it. And that's fair.

It's not like Sony has not released anything in the last 2 years. I'm sure they wish their output had been more consistent, and you could argue it's been bad, but I don't think they've given us any reason to doubt that they're actually making progress on things.

A man writes a letter to a match factory: “I have been buying matches from your factory for 10 years now and always counting the number of matches in the box. One day you put 59, then 60 pieces, sometimes 61, and yesterday you put 56. Are you fucking crazy?”

There's an old Chinese proverb. Man goes to bed with itchy ass wakes up with smelly finger.

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
This is factually not accurate, since XDEV is owned by Sony and have co-created Stellar Blade, one of the biggest games of the year.

But I agree with the overall message that Sony's first party studio management has been terrible this gen. And it will get worse since they have promoted the main culprit instead of firing his ass.

There's no justification for Bend, Media Molecule, Haven or Naughty Dog (we know factions have delayed their projects).

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
lol what? They didn’t co-create Stellar Blade.

Just look at the credits. They have given full technical support as they did with Bloodborne. The project became bigger in scope only because of that, those are Kim's words. Sure, the game direction is full Shift Up's but a first-party studio has been involved in the development for at least three years.

Anyway, PS Studios needs to deliver ASAP because their production in the last four years has been unacceptable.

"The reason Ghost of Tsushima 2 isn't out yet is because AAA video games now take 5-7 years to make."

In a world where From Software, Kojima Studio or Mihoyo don't exist, that is.

near

Gold Member
Just look at the credits. They have given full technical support as they did with Bloodborne. The project became bigger in scope only because of that, those are Kim's words. Sure, the game direction is full Shift Up's but a first-party studio has been involved in the development for at least three years.
They’ve only been credited for product support, which would include things like marketing and financial management. They weren’t involved in any creative process in developing Stellar Blade. A better example of when a studio co-creates something would be CyberConnect2 in FF7 Remake, where they’re actually involved in Level Design, Environment Art, and have credited Game Designs and Programmers. You might as well just start arguing Nixxies co-created Marvels Spider-Man cause they handled the PC port.

Beechos

They have been on an incredible roll with their 1st party games. After all this dev time what happens if the games aren't bangers like people have been accustomed to another 5-7 year wait....

Anyway, PS Studios needs to deliver ASAP because their production in the last four years has been unacceptable.

Kojima's productions last game was Death Stranding 2. It will be roughly 6 years between releases when it comes out. He announced it early, which Sony isn't doing. From Software is incredibly efficient, but they have the capability of having two games in full production with their studio size. Similar to Insomniac

There is no evidence that any of Sony's first party studios are behind where they should be, besides maybe Naughty Dog by cancelling Factions. But even Naughty Dog has two separate teams, so I expect the cancelation didn't set back their new IP in development too much.

Sony is clearly adapting the Nintendo strategy of playing things close to the vest. I bet most future first party releases are within 12-18 months of announcement. Regardless, I am probably in the minority, but I don't mind waiting 5-7 years between studio releases if it further guarantees I get something really special. There are enough 3rd party AAA games coming out at a sufficient rate to hold me over

Last edited:
Ya know, Sony have no games now. But like, why should they? All they have to make now is GT and whatever ND makes and maybe one other. They no presser for them to make exclusive games 2-3 times a year.

zedinen

Some people just never learn

FnxpTrX.jpeg

DnZY9zI.jpeg

hpWGsJL.jpeg

They're announcing nothing of any note though, and no summer Showcase. Come on get your head out of the sand, it's embarrassing.

FY16 Software

3JJPuWB.jpeg

FY23 Software

Ik7RLVb.jpeg

First Party
0dsAXpY.jpeg

mAscYgA.jpeg

What do you expect when Fat Jim sticks everybody on GaaS shit, then they pull the pull on it when they all realise it isn’t the massive cash cow their rapacious little hearts thought it would be?

Ni66leK.jpeg

FDhxd6u.jpeg

jRJOUcT.jpeg

Last edited:

Perrott

• Elden Ring was in development from early 2016 up until early 2022. Six years.
    Armored Core VI also entered development in early 2016. It ended up coming out seven and a half years later.
  • Death Stranding came out in late 2019, while DS2 is expected sometime after March 2025. That's five and a half to six years after the original.
  • Hoyoverse is a massive company. Several times larger than any of the individual Sony studios. If anything, their output should be compared to Bungie's, Riot's or even Blizzard's, not Sucker Punch.

Last edited:

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
It’s true. I haven’t turned my PS5 on since I got the plat in Ronin. I’ve had my fill of hackers and cheaters in Factions so I am done with that. Don’t see the PS5 getting used any time soon. Maybe they’ll reveal something cool around E3 time.

Skifi28

Gold Member
They finally blessed us with VRR and the PS5 pro will probably go VRRRRRR with all that power. You can't expect VR too, there's a limit to what one company can do.

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll

Bots/I pretend to be stupid and want you to correct me/tell me the reason. They want a free meal. Just ignore them.

DaGwaphics

I'm sure they will announce something soon, as they have exhausted their release schedule in this area.

The most confusing thing about their GaaS push, is how far reaching it seems to be. The rumors seem to defy traditional logic, in that it appears they have a lot of competing software. Do they want to release a new multi-player shooter that could replace HD2? How many different genres can they hit in unique enough ways that they don't trample other efforts, etc. Will be interesting to see what their lineup looks like (both GaaS, SP, and VR) and what was real about the rumors vs. what was fake.

ungalo

There's an incredible game, sometimes an exclusive one every few weeks.

BUT IT'S NOT THE RIGHT DEVELOPERRRRR

What is it with people unable to just enjoy the hobby? Why does everything have to have a narrative?
There is no narrative, it's just the truth, which is not even about Sony specifically.

And people won't play things randomly, they are attracted to specific subgenres and IPs.

Last edited:

DryvBy

If they put out another slow cooker God of War or another out of breath Aloy adventure in Horizon, I'd rather they just pay 3rd parties to make a specific game.

Nemesisuuu

Let's be honest - Playstation is Gran Turismo machine - always was, always will be. The rest is irrelevant.

/jk... or am I?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
That's not entirely true.... they've announced and released loads on PC.
Problem with Sony is they can't focus on more than one project at a time.
PSP-PSV-PSVR & PSVR2 all lack support from Sony themselves because all their focus is on other thing.
in this case both the PS5 & PSVR2 aren't getting the focus because it's on something else which we all seen a lot more progress with.
PS5 is still riding the momentum and until that slows right down this will continue because they building momentum elsewhere that doesn't benefit PS5 user's.

Last edited:

Shin-Ra

Instead of investing more in the kinds of games that keep console buyers loyal, like Stellar Blade, they’ve been investing in cancerous GaaS and PC ports.

They could’ve already had 4K60 remasters of the inFAMOUS series, Sly Cooper Thieves in Time plus the PS2 remasters, more kid-friendly games like Ratchet & Clank but there’s no momentum if you just release R&C 2001 with no other games with similar appeal.

Top Bottom