• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It‘s been 2 years, 8 months & 15 days since a Sony-owned studio announced a brand new, non-VR single player game.

near

Gold Member
Instead of investing more in the kinds of games that keep console buyers loyal, like Stellar Blade, they’ve been investing in cancerous GaaS and PC ports.
You must not be aware of how much money some of those third party GaaS games have made for Sony, let alone their PC ports. They might 'cancerous' to you but they've invested in them due to popular demand.

Shin-Ra

You must not be aware of how much money some of those third party GaaS games have made for Sony, let alone their PC ports. They might 'cancerous' to you but they've invested in them due to popular demand.
I’m aware it’s a lot less than they make from a successful console.

nial

Gold Member
lol what? They didn’t co-create Stellar Blade.
It's the usual wording, akin to saying that Japan Studio's External Development Department co-created Bloodborne.
I would just say that XDEV JP produced (different from developing) Stellar Blade.
Instead of investing more in the kinds of games that keep console buyers loyal, like Stellar Blade
????? Stellar Blade just came out.

The funny thing for me is, I am not upset at the GAAS pivot, I am more upset at the cancelled games and wasted time when some studios pivoted back.

We would have been playing TLOU Factions this year.

We would have been playing a Spiderverse game this year.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

That statement would only be relevant if the PS5 wasn't tracking well into success.
Of course the PS5 is successful right now, this a recent initiative that sprung up. This is a long term issue PS is creating for themselves. The logistics of game dev change when you have to account for multiple platforms, and they've signaled that anyone that doesn't have a PS5 or might think about a PS6 next gen that they aren't "needed".

Personally I think the chase for GAAS had a lot to do with it
It was inevitable. May as well get this shit out of the system this gen and early.

Last edited:

Shin-Ra

That statement would only be relevant if the PS5 wasn't tracking well into success.
Will players be so keen to jump into PS5 Pro and PS6 with the half-support PS5 and PSVR2 have received? The delay between fucking up and the results of the fuckups is just beginning.

It's the usual wording, akin to saying that Japan Studio's External Development Department co-created Bloodborne.
I would just say that XDEV JP produced (different from developing) Stellar Blade.

????? Stellar Blade just came out.
It’s year 4 of PS5.

hyperbertha

What do you expect when Fat Jim sticks everybody on GaaS shit, then they pull the pull on it when they all realise it isn’t the massive cash cow their rapacious little hearts thought it would be?
I hope to God it fails. Helldivers 2 is gonna give them ideas

near

Gold Member
Will players be so keen to jump into PS5 Pro and PS6 with the half-support PS5 and PSVR2 have received? The delay between fucking up and the results of the fuckups is just beginning.
I can't speak for other gamers, but I'll be picking up a PS5 Pro by 2025. That's when content I want will be available for it. I really don't think GaaS has much to do with Playstation's first-party output. You'll have to give me some examples of which studios are suffering as a result of this, because my understanding is that Sony pushed outside of it's own studios in funding Firewalk for Concord, Haven Studio for Fairgames, Bungie etc.. more so than internal projects that would result in a delay in projects and altering of project pipelines.

Shin-Ra

And they just released a game of the same type that you pretend they no longer have interest in producing.
It’s not enough. If Astro Bot releases later this year it’ll have been over three years since R&C, no momentum.

Jaybe

Gold Member
Sheesh… People always creating these types of posts when we know a PlayStation show is happening within a week or two.

Shin-Ra

I can't speak for other gamers, but I'll be picking up a PS5 Pro by 2025. That's when content I want will be available for it. I really don't think GaaS has much to do with Playstation's first-party output. You'll have to give me some examples of which studios are suffering as a result of this, because my understanding is that Sony pushed outside of it's own studios in funding Firewalk for Concord, Haven Studio for Fairgames, Bungie etc.. more so than internal projects that would result in a delay in projects and altering of project pipelines.
How much did Sony spend on Bungie alone (which keeps nobody loyal to PlayStation) and how much would it have cost to keep Japan Studio’s fully formed Gravity Team going on the next game and London Studio’s fully formed PSVR team work on a PSVR2 game.

near

Gold Member
How much did Sony spend on Bungie alone (which keeps nobody loyal to PlayStation) and how much would it have cost to keep Japan Studio’s fully formed Gravity Team going on the next game and London Studio’s fully formed PSVR team work on a PSVR2 game.
Shutting down Japan Studio was a tragedy imo.

People that weren't there anymore?
What do you mean? Pretty sure a lot of them got laid off, most started leaving prior to the public announcement of its consolidation.

nial

Gold Member
Shutting down Japan Studio was a tragedy imo.
It wasn't shut down.
What do you mean? Pretty sure a lot of them got laid off, most started leaving prior to the public announcement of its consolidation.
First, you can't do lay-offs in Japan, and second, most of the GR2 team left to follow Toyama with his own studio. Why did Toyama leave? This is my own speculation, but probably because SIE wasn't willing to give him a big budget and long development time anymore after Astro Bot Rescue Mission (18 months in development, smaller team, smaller budget and more successful).

XXL

Shinobi was talking about what he has heard regarding Playstation studios on the other forum earlier today.

Wolverine was announced years ago and I don't know the details of why they decided to do that so early. Could have been a Disney thing. Could have just been Insomniac wanting to hype up their fans, or for recruiting talent, or any number of reasons. Physint could just be Kojima being Kojima. He's on his own planet lol.

I don't mean there's like a mandate from up top at Sony or something, but based on convos I've had, it sounds like some teams like to have windows nailed down more concretely before announcing things. There's one that a while ago I definitely expected would show up in this upcoming event because it's been a good minute, but won't, and that's just how they prefer do things and that's fine I guess.

But I think some people in here really just want to be in perpetual hype mode lol. A bunch of their teams released big games not that long ago. Just in the last couple years, Guerrilla launched HFW which is a massive game, helped with Horizon: Call of the Mountain, HFW's PC port, are helping with something else that we'll see soon and are working on multiple big projects. Santa Monica launched GOWR like a year and a half ago. Polyphony launched GT7 two years ago. Returnal came out 3 years ago and Housemarque's game is a new IP which almost always takes longer to get up to speed. TLOU2 was four years ago and TLOU Online would have been the next big thing but we know how that went, and not because it was a bad game. Naughty Dog needs a little more time.

I think some still haven't really grasped just how long big games take to make now. I've been on a couple projects for years whose release dates I was expecting to be announced at this point or that point and they took longer because game dev is just hard. Every company has some blockbuster dry spells here and there. Nintendo's not releasing a new Zelda or Mario or Metroid every few years. They supplement with spin offs and stuff and they're good with that, but I don't think they have huge blockbusters every year. We can clearly see Xbox is definitely not averse to it either. Sometimes the way things line up - you have peaks and valleys in releases.

I personally don't think Playstation has a first party *problem*. Sure it could be better, and I understand people want to specifically know "ok, where's Sucker Punch, where's Bend, where's Santa Monica, where's Naughty Dog" - the "big" ones. A lot of 2023 was dry, but just in the last 6-7 months, they've put out Spider-Man 2, Helldivers 2, Rise of the Ronin, and Stellar Blade, all big first party games. And outside of that FF7 Rebirth just for an extra cherry on top. They're feeding you. And there's still more this year. Sony's likely pretty okay with how things are going. I'm sure they'd love to have 'big franchise games' this year, but PS5 is still doing great and I think outside of this forum, the mainstream buyer is pretty chill right now.

Like I said, there's a few big ones planned for next year on top of Death Stranding 2. Totoki confirmed that too. I don't know when they'll announce them at the moment, but I suspect there could be another event later in the year, we'll see. I'll probably hear more later.

near

Gold Member
It wasn't shut down.

First, you can't do lay-offs in Japan, and second, most of the GR2 team left to follow Toyama with his own studio. Why did Toyama leave? This is my own speculation, but probably because SIE wasn't willing to give him a big budget and long development time anymore after Astro Bot Rescue Mission (18 months in development, smaller team, smaller budget and more successful).
There are other ways of laying off staff in Japan, like completely removing creative control off a team and cutting funding to essentially corner your staff into resigning. Same shit happened to Fumito Ueda. If you really think these company veterans walked away from a studio they've spent pretty much their entire careers at without Sony forcing them to I don't know what to tell you. Laid off.

Shin-Ra

Rise of the Ronin, Lost Soul Aside...

What momentum?
Team Ninja aren’t first-party tier developers, Ni-Oh/2’s questionable PS4, PS4 Pro and PS5 rendering modes with poor checkboarding and unstable performance showed that.

Stellar Blade was a very good result with promise for future games if they don’t start leaning on monetisation tactics like Shift Up’s other games.

It’s still not a lot 3.5 years into the console.

I should also add, even if London Studio transitioned into a PSVR2 game, WWS would still be WELL short of content.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
They’re stepping on the GAAS.
heart-eyes-donald-duck.gif

Švejk

I think people forget that we're still witnessing the fallout of pandemic shit, topped with a shitty smear of agendas and unnecessary inflation... It's shocking to me that stuff is still managing to come out in ok shape from devs...
I use that term loosely.

nial

Gold Member
There are other ways of laying off staff in Japan, like completely removing creative control off a team and cutting funding to essentially corner your staff into resigning.
Which is quite different from the concept of lay-offs we have over here.
And yeah, pretty much adds up to what I said; the staff wasn't efficient, and SIE was not willing to tolerate that anymore. Shout-out to Fumito Ueda, who was not able to ship a game in 6 years before leaving the company (and still having to finish it, anyway).

near

Gold Member
And yeah, pretty much adds up to what I said; the staff wasn't efficient, and SIE was not willing to tolerate that anymore. Shout-out to Fumito Ueda, who was not able to ship a game in 6 years before leaving the company (and still having to finish it, anyway).
I get it from a business perspective. Still an awful decision as far as I'm concerned, poor studio management aside, they had such a talented group of developers. I've loved every game Ueda and Toyama have worked on.

nial

Gold Member
I get it from a business perspective. Still an awful decision as far as I'm concerned, poor studio management aside, they had such a talented group of developers. I've loved every game Ueda and Toyama have worked on.
I feel you, but poor production management has been quite a problem for SIEJ since pretty much forever (at the very least since WWS Japan Studio was established), and the one time they finally do something about it, people revolt against it.

what is sony doing?
Making games that take 6 or more years to come out, they have like 15 studios and they announce games closer and closer to release date.

It all checks out.

Fortunately we never had so many videogames released as nowadays (unless indie stuff doesn't exist to you) and they had a great line up of games this year so far. If the games are from their studios or not is irrelevant lmao.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Instead of investing more in the kinds of games that keep console buyers loyal, like Stellar Blade, they’ve been investing in cancerous GaaS and PC ports.
"GAAS are bad because everyone only plays their one forever game" (loyal gamers)

But also...

"PlayStation should invest in games that keep console buyers loyal."

Mother of God people...think it through.

nick776

There's an old Slavic anecdote:

A man writes a letter to a match factory: “I have been buying matches from your factory for 10 years now and always counting the number of matches in the box. One day you put 59, then 60 pieces, sometimes 61, and yesterday you put 56. Are you fucking crazy?”

Thread gives me the same vibe.
No, the OP is a valid statement. It's ridiculous to go this long without showing new SP games. Is PS5 Xbox now or something? If Sony has the games, SHOW THEM. Not showing or saying anything gives the impression that there IS NOTHING.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
No, the OP is a valid statement. It's ridiculous to go this long without showing new SP games. Is PS5 Xbox now or something? If Sony has the games, SHOW THEM. Not showing or saying anything gives the impression that there IS NOTHING.
Xbox has lots of 1st party stuff and a show in a couple weeks.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Could be better, PS2, 3 and 4 had a high amount of exclusives, PS5 had a good start (GT7, Ghost of Tsushima, Spider-Man, Sackboy) I mean they would show the games if there were still E3s.

Salz01

I mean it’s true. The PS5 is just a glorified ps4 pro. Outside of SB, I play more games that are also available on ps4 on my ps5. with all the shit Xbox is getting , and rightfully so, they at least have games and hints of games coming out soon. All Xbox needs to do is release a damn good trailer for the next Gears.

NikuNashi

Gen design have also released nothing in the 6 years since TLG was released, not even a screenshot. The guy moves at glacial speed.

This is factually not accurate, since XDEV is owned by Sony and have co-created Stellar Blade, one of the biggest games of the year.

But I agree with the overall message that Sony's first party studio management has been terrible this gen. And it will get worse since they have promoted the main culprit instead of firing his ass.

There's no justification for Bend, Media Molecule, Haven or Naughty Dog (we know factions have delayed their projects).

I never thought I would hate Herman Hulst the way I do but he's been the reason for a lot of the shit that's pissed me off throughout the generation. Thanks to him and Jim Ryan we've had the longest cross gen period and Sony is no longer the graphics leader. We've had this bullshit focus on GaaS and, while it may be a great business move, Sony has spent so many resources towards multiplatform releases. Going PC takes time and resources and yes, EXCLUSIVES away from the PS5. Under HH and Jim Ryan, the highly touted i/o system of ps5 has been underutilized. Naughty Dog hasn't done shit all gen.

Oh and backwards compatibility and ps3 ports has been abysmal, it's just not a focus of Sony. Where are the next gen ps5 exclusives? Why are all these ps4 games thar got "remasters" not even graphically upgraded? Why did you force God of War Ragnarok and GT7 to be cross gen? Why was Last of Us Remake and Spiderman 2 not the most incredible looking games ever made?

So many frustrations. Also starting to worry that we won't get the PS5 Pro at this point. Sony was much better last gen in terms of pushing next gen games out.

And where the fuck is Bloodborne remaster or simple 60 fps patch???

It's dead and it's a huge waste of potential.

Honestly I don't know why they even bothered with the PSVR2 considering their complete lack of support. Glad I was put off buying one because of the fact that they didn't make all the ps4 psvr titles compatible.
You’re missing out I’m sorry to say. PSVR2 has a different approach than psvr1. Fewer games (experiences) more big games in the first year. It’s been phenomenal.

That's not entirely true.... they've announced and released loads on PC.
Problem with Sony is they can't focus on more than one project at a time.
PSP-PSV-PSVR & PSVR2 all lack support from Sony themselves because all their focus is on other thing.
in this case both the PS5 & PSVR2 aren't getting the focus because it's on something else which we all seen a lot more progress with.
PS5 is still riding the momentum and until that slows right down this will continue because they building momentum elsewhere that doesn't benefit PS5 user's.

This is what's so bullshit though. Sony has been great if you're a PC gamer this gen but so shitty if you're an actual PS5 owners (compared to other generations). All these PC releases and GaaS garbage takes away from PS5. PS5 hardware has been underutilized without many actual next gen games. This wouldve been unheard of in other generations. Sony is getting beaten in graphics by fucking Ubisoft now.

Like yeah Sony has been "great" from a business perspective and if you're a PC gamer but shitty towards the hardcore console gamers. No ps3 remasters and weak ass remasters like Uncharted 4 and LoU2 (ps5 remaster is a joke no graphical upgrade just a 4k/30 fps mode lol). They've done the bare minimum for ps5 owners.

Reactions: TGO
Top Bottom