• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It‘s been 2 years, 8 months & 15 days since a Sony-owned studio announced a brand new, non-VR single player game.

Topher

Gold Member
They heavily invested in gaas projects that didn't see the light of day yet and some were already canceled... they let AAA studios run wild with budgets and time ... people are blaming covid.. I wonder when the excuses will stop... sony fans were happily mocking Xbox.. and now are fitting the same excuse shoes.

Exactly. Bottom line to me is I don't buy PlayStation consoles for excuses as to why I'm not getting PlayStation games. Expect nothing and you'll get nothing.

CosmicComet

Sony doesn't own any Marvel IPs but the Spiderman and Wolverine are still first party games.

In the same way, Bayonetta 3 and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 are first party Nintendo games and Indiana Jones is a first party Microsoft game.
MLB the Show and Spiderman/Wolverine are first party games primarily because Sony owned studios make them, despite not having outright IP ownership.

The same reason Indiana Jones is first party to MS.

(In the case of Spiderman in particular, it's not completely cut and dry because Sony DO have significant say in the Spiderman property because Marvel signed over a lot in their licensing agreement with Sony back in the late 90s when marvel were near bankruptcy)

Bayonetta is 3rd party. It's a fucking Sega owned IP. Nintendo just took up publishing costs for the second and third game because the original game kinda bombed on ps3 and 360.

MU3 is flat out just 3rd party. It was made by Team Ninja, a non-Nintendo studio. Nintendo once again just published.

Calling Stellar Blade a first party game when it was initially announced for PS4 and Xbox One in the Project Eve days, and when Sony only got into an official partnership with Shift Up back in November is completely non factual.

They don't own Shift Up or the Stellar Blade IP. It's just a 3rd party game with hardware manufacturer publishing rights.

Again it's like calling FF7 or even more recently Nioh 1 & 2 first party because Sony published those as well despite not owning IP or studios behind them.

trintrop

Neo Member
I think it's fair to say both Sony and MS have dropped the ball this generation...big time.

They heavily invested in gaas projects that didn't see the light of day yet and some were already canceled... they let AAA studios run wild with budgets and time ... people are blaming covid.. I wonder when the excuses will stop... sony fans were happily mocking Xbox.. and now are fitting the same excuse shoes.
Final Fantasy vii, stellar blade, rise of the ronin, helldivers 2 this year already. This new narrative that some of you are trying to peddle has no basis in fact.

yurinka

what is sony doing?! wolverine is not coming out for another couple years
It's been pretty rough with no games, I almost feel like an Xbox gamer at this point.
They've already published two new singleplayer non-vr games this year.
Three years since its release, Sony seems to have abandoned PlayStation 5.
Bullshit, they have been announcing, marketing and releasing games in addition to other stuff like accesories.

In the last half a year or so they released games like Spider-Man 2, TLOU2 Remastered, Helldivers 2, Stellar Blade, MLB or Rise of the Ronin plus a handful PC ports. And as always 3rd party exclusives like FFVII Rebirth or Granblue Fantasy Relink.

For this year they have announced Destiny 2 The Final Shape, Until Dawn remake, Convallaria, Lost Soul Aside or Concord and maybe something else more I forgot. And in the 3rd party side Silent Hill 2 remake.

They have more first party games under development than they ever had before, around half of them being new IPs and the majority of them aren't GaaS.

Can’t really blame them considering Sony was just straight up lying to entice people to jump onboard prior to launch.
vje32yK.jpeg
Jim was as full of shit as Phil is, he just got away with it more due to results that came from the people before him, and Xbox being such a clusterfuck.
Probably the most misinterpreted quote of this entire generation

What does "we believe in generations" even mean?

The actual quote was "we believe in generational transitions" he was also referencing the DualSense controller and UI being different experience from generation to the next.

It's crazy how that quote gets misinterpreted so often

In the "we believe in generations" interview Jim Ryan never said that they weren't going to make crossgen games.

The opposite, he specified there that they were going to continue supporting PS4 for several years because there was an insane of active users in PS4 and they were going to need several years to upgrade to the new generation.

In the interview he clearly said that with "we believe in generations" that he wanted to see their PS5 games taking advantage of the new stuff that the new gen added, such as the the very fast SSD or the gamepad features.

I didn't find any sentence with Jim lying. Feel free to share any source if you think there is one of them.

But Death Stranding came out 5 years ago.

Death Stranding 2 is announced to be released next year. AAA games nowadays take 5-9 years to be made.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
It's been two years, eight months and fifteen days
Since Sony took its' love away
I go out every night and sleep all day
Since Sony took its' love away
Since you been silent I can game on whatever I want
I can play whatever I choose
I can eat my Doritos in a fancy restaurant
But nothing
I said nothing can take away these blues
'Cause nothing compares
Nothing compares to Sony
It's been so lonely without Sony announcements
Like a bird without a song
Nothing can stop these lonely tears from falling
Tell me Sony where did I go wrong
I could put my arms around every Xbox I see
But they'd only remind me of Sony
I went to the doctor and guess what he told me
Guess what he told me
He said human you better have fun
No matter what you do
But gamers are fools
'Cause nothing compares
Nothing compares to Sony
All the flowers that you planted, mama
In the back yard
All died when Sony went away
I know that living with Sony announcements was sometimes hard
But I'm willing to give it another try
Nothing compares
Nothing compares to you, Sony
Nothing compares
Nothing compares to you, Sony
Nothing compares
Nothing compares to Sony

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Final Fantasy vii, stellar blade, rise of the ronin, helldivers 2 this year already. This new narrative that some of you are trying to peddle has no basis in fact.
I didnt buy the ps5 primarily for gaas and third/second party games .. and thats not what this thread is about.. so no strawmaning please

FunkMiller

In the "we believe in generations" interview Jim Ryan never said that they weren't going to make crossgen games.

The opposite, he specified there that they were going to continue supporting PS4 for several years because there was an insane of active users in PS4 and they were going to need several years to upgrade to the new generation.

In the interview he clearly said that with "we believe in generations" that he wanted to see their PS5 games taking advantage of the new stuff that the new gen added, such as the the very fast SSD or the gamepad features.

I didn't find any sentence with Jim lying. Feel free to share any source if you think there is one of them.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/sonys...ing-that-can-only-be-enjoyed-on-playstation-5

One way to keep PS4 users engaged would be to make upcoming PS5 games playable on the older machine, just like Microsoft is proposing with its Xbox Series X games being playable on Xbox One. Yet Ryan says that's not something PlayStation is interested in doing.

"We have always said that we believe in generations. We believe that when you go to all the trouble of creating a next-gen console, that it should include features and benefits that the previous generation does not include. And that, in our view, people should make games that can make the most of those features.

"We do believe in generations, and whether it's the DualSense controller, whether it's the 3D audio, whether it's the multiple ways that the SSD can be used... we are thinking that it is time to give the PlayStation community something new, something different, that can really only be enjoyed on PS5."

Please stop the corporate dick sucking. It’s very much reached the pathetic stage.

Last edited:
"Worked on" in auxiliary roles and 'co created' are two completely different things.

Stellar Blade has been in a working form for years before Sony got on board with them before release. Shift Up only announced a partnership with Sony as of November, that's how late it was.

People are quick to forget but back when it was still called Project Eve it was announced for PS4 AND Xbox One.

Sony's involvement was extremely late stage and minimal. The game already existed and was near done by the time they attached their name to the project.

Does Sony own Shift Up? No. Does Sony own the Stellar Blade IP?

Also no. It's no more than a 3rd party game with a hardware maker's publishing money.

No different than Sony publishing FF7 back in the day.

Shuhei signed on with them in 2021. They were always heavily involved with them from the start

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Dont worry guys just wait for the next PS Showcase. They ain’t showing things because they are keeping things to their chest and also don’t want to steal any hype away from Stellar Blade

I think every single first party developers are cooking. Sony already said there won't be any big titles till 2025 end. I hope they start announcing the projects all the developers are working on exactly.
Sony's single player titles are the best in market right now, par with Rockstar, CDPR and FromSoftware. I'd definitely wait for the quality products.

and Jim Ryan shift in pursuing gaas games made all of them undesirable and non-creative.
Also there's more than enough gaas games out there which Sony didn't wanted to go that route because there are much higher chances to fail in that department.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/sonys...ing-that-can-only-be-enjoyed-on-playstation-5

Please stop the corporate dick sucking. It’s very much reached the pathetic stage.

Similar to the edgy way this is being stretched to outrage people.

Sony never said they would not make cross-generation games and that quote and the journalist comment are about two main things (the rest of the arguments you can read in that post and other posts before on the same page):

1.) why was Sony still keeping the concept of HW generations and what did it mean to them?

2.) would Sony follow Xbox in their announcement that all the extended launch window games would be cross generation? Sony said no, that they want new HW with exclusive new features to have software taking advantage of it.

It is disappointing that given COVID and a massive / unprecedented semiconductor shortage the plans for some titles had to be changed as they could not manufacture enough consoles, but stretching truth because going against a corporation always feels like being in the right and not doing that means bootlicking twists people in absurd knots where if Sony said that the UK is generally damp and cooler than Italy agreeing with them would be corporate bootlicking and the only right thing to do would be to state that no, the UK enjoys very long and hot summers and it hardly rains which is pathetic and nonsensical.

Last edited:

Woopah

MLB the Show and Spiderman/Wolverine are first party games primarily because Sony owned studios make them, despite not having outright IP ownership.

The same reason Indiana Jones is first party to MS.

(In the case of Spiderman in particular, it's not completely cut and dry because Sony DO have significant say in the Spiderman property because Marvel signed over a lot in their licensing agreement with Sony back in the late 90s when marvel were near bankruptcy)
Sony have indeed licenced the Spiderman IP for movies and games, but they don't own it. When Spiderman came to PS4 in 2019, it was a first party game with an IP Sony didn't own and from a studio they didn't own.

Bayonetta is 3rd party. It's a fucking Sega owned IP. Nintendo just took up publishing costs for the second and third game because the original game kinda bombed on ps3 and 360.

Here is a page from Nintendo's investor slides where they include Bayonetta 3 on a list of first party titles:

DCmYYqZ.png

MU3 is flat out just 3rd party. It was made by Team Ninja, a non-Nintendo studio. Nintendo once again just published.

Ditto for MUA3 being listed in the same way in Nintendo's investor material:

KcxXtqU.png

It should also be noted that Nintendo EPD were involved in the development of Bayonetta 3 and and MUA3.

Calling Stellar Blade a first party game when it was initially announced for PS4 and Xbox One in the Project Eve days, and when Sony only got into an official partnership with Shift Up back in November is completely non factual.

They don't own Shift Up or the Stellar Blade IP. It's just a 3rd party game with hardware manufacturer publishing rights.

And the game being published by the platform holder is what makes it first party. Stellar Blade ended up being a first party game in the same way Devil's Third ended up being a first party game.

Again it's like calling FF7 or even more recently Nioh 1 & 2 first party because Sony published those as well despite not owning IP or studios behind them.

As shown by the examples above, neither IP ownership nor studio ownership are required for a game to be first party. Nioh 1, Nioh 2 and Fire Emblem Warriors are games developed by Koei Tecmo owned studios that were first party titles in the West.

Last edited:

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Insomniac are beasts hey? they delivered Ratchet, 3 x new Spiderman games and 2 x spiderman remakes since 2018.

Wolverine If 2025 will make it 4 games (not counting remakes) in about 8 ish years.

yurinka

As can be seen there, I just stated facts:

He never said there that weren't going to make crossgen games and by the "we believe in generations" sentence he was talking about wanting the PS5 games take advatage of the new gen features. Plus also mentioned they were going to continue supporting PS4 for years after PS5 launch you conveniently avoided to also quote the previous part:

""We have always felt that we had a responsibility to serve that [PS4] community for several years after the launch of PS5 and that it represented a huge business opportunity for us," Ryan says. "The numbers are quite straightforward. If you say in broad brush figures that we have a community of 100 million PS4 owners right now, and in the first couple of years... I don't know, somewhere between 15 and 25 million might migrate to PS5, that still leaves a huge number of people with PS4s. And that community is demonstrating an amazing stickiness, and willingness to stay engaged that, I think, the events of the past few months have just reinforced what we knew already."

If you don't like these facts fuck off and go back to your gaming flatearther troll cave.

I know, my point was that Kojima is not an exception to this rule.
Yep, there aren't exceptions. Companies who release yearly (or almost) games of some IPs have multiple teams workd at the same time in multiple games of these IPs. And well, they also reuse a way bigger. Maybe some specially fast team making a very continuist sequel can ship a big AAA game in 4 years, but on average what we're seeing is aprox. 5-9 years with a few exceptions beyond that in the top and bottom.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

He never said there that weren't going to make crossgen games and by the "we believe in generations" sentence he was talking about wanting the PS5 games take advatage of the new gen features. Plus also mentioned they were going to continue supporting PS4 for years after PS5 launch you conveniently avoided to also quote the previous part:

""We have always felt that we had a responsibility to serve that [PS4] community for several years after the launch of PS5 and that it represented a huge business opportunity for us," Ryan says. "The numbers are quite straightforward. If you say in broad brush figures that we have a community of 100 million PS4 owners right now, and in the first couple of years... I don't know, somewhere between 15 and 25 million might migrate to PS5, that still leaves a huge number of people with PS4s. And that community is demonstrating an amazing stickiness, and willingness to stay engaged that, I think, the events of the past few months have just reinforced what we knew already."

If you don't like these facts fuck off and go back to your gaming flatearther troll cave.

Yep, there aren't exceptions. Companies who release yearly (or almost) games of some IPs have multiple teams workd at the same time in multiple games of these IPs. And well, they also reuse a way bigger. Maybe some specially fast team making a very continuist sequel can ship a big AAA game in 4 years, but on average what we're seeing is aprox. 5-9 years with a few exceptions beyond that in the top and bottom.

Jesus, you hardcore console warriors are way too highly strung. Chill out, go touch cloth, and stop dick riding executives so much.

Jim Ryan ain’t your fuckin’ mate any more than Phil is. He talked bollocks about believing in generations - then put nearly everything out on Ps4 anyway, because he’s a greedy ass executive… and not your friend 😂

Last edited:

yurinka

Jesus, you hardcore console warriors are way too highly strung. Chill out, go touch cloth, and stop dick riding executives so much.
As I proved I only debunked your lies, using objective facts.

You're the fanboy warrior here, in your case a pc one, trolling with lies and insulting people. Go to your cave to ride Gaben's dick. Or your mother, you may prefer her dick and beard.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

As I proved I only debunked your lies, using objective facts.

You're the fanboy warrior here, in your case a pc one, trolling with lies and insulting people. Go to your cave to ride Gaben's dick. Or your mother, you may prefer her dick and beard.

You fucking weirdo 😂

I buy PlayStation to play games made by PlayStation studios so yes, it matters to me.
What is the difference between a game made by a Sony owned studio Vs a studio partnered with Sony? Is ownership the only distinction?

If you only want to play games made by Sony owned studios, then I guess go buy another console or find another hobby.

The games made by "Sony owned studios" will release when they're ready to release. If in the mean time you find it intolerable to play Stellar Blade or Hell Divers or Rise of the Ronin, then go do something else.

Topher

Gold Member
What is the difference between a game made by a Sony owned studio Vs a studio partnered with Sony? Is ownership the only distinction?

If you only want to play games made by Sony owned studios, then I guess go buy another console or find another hobby.

The games made by "Sony owned studios" will release when they're ready to release. If in the mean time you find it intolerable to play Stellar Blade or Hell Divers or Rise of the Ronin, then go do something else.

Because I'm a fan of the games made by Sucker Punch, Naughty Dog, Santa Monica Studios, etc. They make top notch quality games that rarely ever miss for me. As I said, that's why I buy PlayStation.

No idea where you are reading "only want to play games made by Sony owned studios". Not what I said at all. I said that's why I play PlayStation. I primarily game on PC.

So thanks, but your suggestions and advice are not asked for or needed here. I'm going to like what I like and play what I like.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Jim Ryan ain’t your fuckin’ mate any more than Phil is. He talked bollocks about believing in generations
He did not talk bollocks and this is again riding on the “if Ryan said that UK is damp we must pretend it is as hot, sunny, and dry as Spain because Jim Ryan is not your friend!”.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

I think it is quite clear what the “We believe in generations” claim means ( https://www.neogaf.com/threads/it‘s...-vr-single-player-game.1670941/post-269230814 ) , but some people must pretend not to or want it to say something else to feel like they are throwing two fingers at the corporation… 🤷‍♂️.

Top Bottom