• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It saddens me that the Wii U will never reach its full potential.

Wii u is getting its own Zelda this year. As for Metroid, since you love it so much try to not boycott the franchise so Nintendo will keep it alive.

and you must not be a Wii U owner LOL Virtual Boy was a piece of shit that made kids have seizures, like 8 of 10 people that I know who own a Wii U, they all enjoy the console and its games.

I am a Wii U owner. The system is a piece of shit.
But noooo, I must be a fucking liar because I don't like something your anecdotal statistic some how justifies.

EDIT: What the hell are you going on about boycotting Metroid? I haven't seen a Metroid game announced.

tl;dr: The Wii U could have been much better software wise if Nintendo focused on outside devs to help fill out their software gaps instead of doing absolutely nothing.

3rd party devs had to write code specifically for the Wii U in order to maximize the machine's capabilities so that created the problem from the start. It's just a weak system for lazy developers who rely on popular but inefficient middleware. There's not much Nintendo can do to entice the 3rd parties to devote time for the Wii U when the devs can easily use what they have and not have to learn anything new to make games for multiple platforms (PC, XB1 and PS4) and sell so much more.

Having said that, the Wii U with its few yet fantastic library is my absolute favorite this generation. The only games missing in my checklist are Pilot Wings U, Animal Crossing U, Pokemon U, Kid Icarus U and Luigi's Mansion U. These are just a handful of games and considering that Nintendo created more than 20 exclusive titles that I consider great (with 6 masterpieces to date), I'd like to think that the Wii U achieved about 85% of its full potential.

hatchx

Banned
These are just a handful of games and considering that Nintendo created more than 20 exclusive titles that I consider great (with 6 masterpieces to date), I'd like to think that the Wii U achieved about 85% of its full potential.

Let me guess,

1. Pikmin 3
2. Tropical Freeze
3. Mario Kart 8
4. Splatoon
5. Bayonetta 2
6. Super Mario 3D World

I mean we're still leaving out Smash Bros, Mario Maker and XCX.

Gameboy415

I've had years of fun with my Wii U but there is one thing I truly can't comprehend:

How did we not get a port of Pac Man Vs?!?

The game was a blast back on Gamecube and the Gamepad would have been a perfect substitute for a wired GBA!
It's especially baffling considering how chummy Nintendo has become with Namco over the last few years...

This. Also, the shitty hardware and poor gimmick utilization were major factors for the Wii U not reaching 'full potential.'

Nintendo, once again, is their own worse enemy.

lol i remember you being the biggest nintendo fan, wiiu must have left a bad taste in your mouth. aside from the shitty hardware, nintendo is not really going for big budget games, most off wiiu games look like they had a very small budget, and not triple AAA, aside from mario kart 8, and zelda which is also gonna be on NX.

Bleeether

Sad to say, but the wii u was a complete garbage system. If it were not for my gf using it for netflix, it would have got nearly no use. Bayonetta 2 was the only game i enjoyed. All the other games everyone raves about (splat, mk8,smash, ect) were sooooo boring. Like i feel like this system was designed for 5 year olds.

I've had years of fun with my Wii U but there is one thing I truly can't comprehend:

The game was a blast back on Gamecube and the Gamepad would have been a perfect substitute for a wired GBA!
It's especially baffling considering how chummy Nintendo has become with Namco over the last few years...

That was a cool idea for sure but did people care that much about it???

jholmes

God damn it I finally forgot about how I was convinced this would get ported.

Thanks for ruining my night, pal!

Nerrel

I'm not sure how else you think someone could play Mario Maker but OK.

I use the GamePad a lot and really like it.

That's a large exception to the rule and a very unconventional game. No one could argue that more than a few Wii U games have that same level of dependence on the pad. Even some of the games that are credited with being improved by the pad, like Splatoon, are largely working off of the gyro and not the screen itself. Pikmin's best use for the pad was sitting aside as map while the Wii remote did the work. W101's dual screen segments were cute novelties at best and were easily mapped to the TV in a PiP mode (and maybe I'm misremembering, but Platinum flat out recommend the Pro over the gamepad for Bayonetta 2?) Both Mario games only use it for mirroring the TV and a few throwaway gimmicks. MK8 didn't use it for anything but a map and a horn, and the map even had to be patched back onto the TV due to player complaints. DKC:TF didn't even bother displaying an image on the thing, and honestly, it served the game better than anything else Retro possibly could have done with it. Nintendo obviously didn't have any ideas as to how they were going to use this controller, and their software developers clearly weren't asking for it. They just dove in.

I like the gamepad as a controller. I think it's comfortable and off-TV play is a huge convenience. The problem is that it doesn't really add much to conventional single player games, and certainly not enough to justify how expensive it is. The Wii U hardware wouldn't have been as weak without the pad eating up so much of the system's allowable budget. Some people say otherwise, but I call bullshit. Nintendo would not have scraped by with a bargain-bin CPU like that without the pad stressing the budget, and even with only the CPU being improved Wii U would have been a different system. There's a big difference between a system that's modestly but unconditionally more powerful than 7 year old hardware and a system that fails to outperform 7 year old hardware. I like the touch inventory in WWHD, but is it really worth giving up so much in terms of hardware and battery life just for the luxury of not pausing the game? Would you trade that map/inventory screen for a system powerful enough to run the game without those atrocious framerate drops (and even better visuals)? I'd have to think about that one.

A lot of people prefer the Pro controller because it's more comfortable at doing the same thing and, as I pointed out above, giving up the screen usually doesn't amount to any sacrifice at all. And that's without even gaining any hardware benefits; imagine if a Wii U Pro bundle had been the system by default and the money saved on the screen had at least partially been invested in better hardware. If most people prefer the Pro controller now, how many people would actually choose the gamepad in that case?

I love Mario Maker and yes, it wouldn't work as well without the pad. I also think an Okami game would kick a lot of ass on Wii U. But one or two games aren't really worth the system being a train wreck for everything else. And frankly, I think the Wii remote could have still made MM possible (and gyro would probably work great for Okami).

Sad to say, but the wii u was a complete garbage system. If it were not for my gf using it for netflix, it would have got nearly no use. Bayonetta 2 was the only game i enjoyed. All the other games everyone raves about (splat, mk8,smash, ect) were sooooo boring. Like i feel like this system was designed for 5 year olds.

EjJopdb.jpg

Every goddamn Nintendo related thread, like clockwork.

The Wii U is begging for a co-op Bowser's Inside Story sequel, where one player controls Mario and Luigi in Bowser's insides and the other controls Bowser simultaneously.

It's reached its potential with me. I'm in my 30s and all the exclusives really put a smile on my face and brought back the feelings of first playing the nes.

Eh, I'm satisfied with the Wii U's library. It got a full 4 years of releases, and considering how dead Nintendo systems can be later on in life that's a full release schedule really.

Plenty of games that will be looked upon as classics. Splatoon, Tropical Freeze, Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101, Xenoblade X, Mario Kart 8, 3D World, Pikmin 3, Woolly World, Captain Toad. Plus Star Fox and #FE (and hopefully Paper Mario) on the way.

The thing it's majorly lacking in is third party exclusives, which isn't going to happen no matter how long they keep the system out for, so the best option is to try again with the NX.

I'm getting a Wii U from my friend with all his games in exchange for 2 PS4 games... can't say I'm gonna complain. There's not much on it I want other than Zelda U!

A different kind of (lower end) architecture and bad marketing pretty much secured the fate of the system.

But it has been a lovely ride - if you are a Nintendo fan, you can't complain IMO. Because you must gotten used to the idea of owning 2 consoles per generation, and Wii U with all those lovely HD exclusives and the comfort of continuing your game on the poop place or in bed, is just the perfect companion console.

traveler

Not Wario
I agree that the they've once again failed to deliver on the premise of the "hook/gimmick", but, when all is said and done, it'll still end up being the best console of the generation, so it'd be hard for me to say I'm disappointed. Simply too many great exclusives.

Dremark

Banned
The control gimmick for the system was poorly thought out and had limited applications.

Most of the games you said there should have been sequels for did not seem profitable on the Wii.

Honestly the only thing the WiiU really has in its favor is good software. You could argue it's library is better than the Wii's and honestly I'd agree with it.

The WiiU itself was poorly planned, missed the market entirely and in a lot of ways deserved to fail though.

Nessus

Still think it should have launched with a AAA Dungeons & Dragons game. DM on the gamepad everyone else on Wiimotes. Include an editor and share modules online.

Which "amount of support" from Nintendo do you mean? I keep hearing this but I really don't understand it. The support was weak imo, even from Nintendo.

Which "amount of support" from Nintendo do you mean? I keep hearing this but I really don't understand it. The support was weak imo, even from Nintendo.
Even as a huge Nintendo fan I'd agree. Their output was both spare and derivative of what was already provided on the 3DS.

For example...

NSMB2 / NSMB2

SM3DL / SM3DL

SSB 3DS / SSB Wii U

DKCR / DKC TF

I was just not motivated to spend $300+ on a system that I could get a very similar experience with on the portable I already owned, especially when I had buddies who were more than happy to let me play at their houses.

420bits

I'd buy a Wii u, at 150 dollars and would probably enjoy the shit out of it. But as it its almost 350 dollars here I'm guessing it will be a while before i get one.

Roi

I'd buy a Wii u, at 150 dollars and would probably enjoy the shit out of it. But as it its almost 350 dollars here I'm guessing it will be a while before i get one.

I'd buy a Aston Martin, at 150 dollars and would probably enjoy the shit out of it. But as it its almost 350000 dollars here I'm guessing it will be a while before i get one.

This is literally the only thing I can think of that would be a good use of the Gamepad. I'd have once said a new Pokemon Snap, but then I played that Project Zero game and learnt that using the tea tray like a camera wasn't as much fun as if thought it could be.

So yeah, technically it didn't live up to potential, but that potential was so limited that it hardly matters, and was so shite otherwise that it wouldn't have been worth it even if it had achieved it.

I mean I love a hell of a lot of WiiU games. There's some absolute classics on there, but the system itself is a weak, feature lacking, gimmick hobbled pile of wank that sold more than it deserved to due to it's handful of awesome exclusive games.

FLAguy954

lol i remember you being the biggest nintendo fan, wiiu must have left a bad taste in your mouth. aside from the shitty hardware, nintendo is not really going for big budget games, most off wiiu games look like they had a very small budget, and not triple AAA, aside from mario kart 8, and zelda which is also gonna be on NX.

I'm still a fan, but I only get my Nintendo fill through their handhelds now. I got burned hard by the GameCube and they still haven't recovered from that generation console-wise (imo).

Top Bottom