• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It saddens me that the Wii U will never reach its full potential.

I thought the few games that used the game pad for a unique purpose used it really well (Splatoon, Mario Maker, Kirby/Xenoblade to a lesser extent) and the games that didn't use the game pad always had off tv play which I feel like is a very underrated feature.

That's like half the games sans Pikmin that use the pad well right there. Xenoblade I disagree to some extent, I loathe not having a map I can just pull up on my TV from the main menu. I will say they at least went ahead and built the map and probe system around using the pad though.

therapist

yep its sad.

I actually just booted my wii up for the first time in a long time the other day.
After updating forever (My pc was updating and i had nothing else to watch youtube on while trying to troubleshoot it) it finally boots up , im connected etc.

So i boot up youtube...first link i click , it loads 2 secs of the video then soft locks with audio looping...like fucking really. You cant even get youtube playback right.

I turned it off right there and its gonna collect some more dust.

imo its a fucking failure of a console with some good games on it

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
yep its sad.

I actually just booted my wii up for the first time in a long time the other day.
After updating forever (My pc was updating and i had nothing else to watch youtube on while trying to troubleshoot it) it finally boots up , im connected etc.

So i boot up youtube...first link i click , it loads 2 secs of the video then soft locks with audio looping...like fucking really. You cant even get youtube playback right.

I turned it off right there and its gonna collect some more dust.

imo its a fucking failure of a console with some good games on it

Did you try the Youtube app?

Ansatz

In the OP you name franchises that would have worked well with the gamepad, so in that sense it's true.

If you look at each individual Wii U game, I think it worked out fine in the end. They didn't go out their way to build games around the gamepad, instead Nintendo's games use its functionality whenever it's appropriate. They've had this approach since 3DS came out, for better or worse. Going forward I don't think we will see another game that is built entirely around a nonconventional control scheme in mind from the start, but instead incorporate controller functionality when the game they're making happens to benefit from it.

I love my Wii U. I love the games for it. I love the amount of support Nintendo gave for it when times were rough for the system.

tl;dr: The Wii U could have been much better software wise if Nintendo focused on outside devs to help fill out their software gaps instead of doing absolutely nothing.

I'm not sure Nintendo did nothing but whatever they did or didn't do the quantity of compelling software just didn't arrive. They said it was hard to make HD games.
EA, Ubisoft and Activision don't have a 'problem' with HD games.
But why make stuff for an underpowered console designed to be quiet next to a TV when there are two other guys giving you much more power on tap and actually bending over backwards to help you. Nintendo still had (has?) the ghost of Yamauchi running developer relations.

Ultimately for all their studios Nintendo development let the system down, Nintendo developer relations let the system down and Nintendo technical expertise let the system down.

I bought in in 2014 on the promise of Zelda in 2015.
I feel I've been deceived.
Why the hell should I waste more money on anything with the Nintendo name on it?

Mesoian

I got my moneys worth out of it, but I can't help but feel like Nintendo dropped the ball overall.

They did.

The WiiU was an interesting piece of tech with a pretty fantastic library.

But let's not going pretending that Nintendo didn't fuck this one up.

papo

People really don't seem to care about innovation when it means actually doing it. That's looking at most companies which want the quick buck shovelware than take a chance at something. It's the no.1 I have for VR and I am seeing it realized right before my eyes with the reactions to pricing.

Wiimote, Wii U pad, Kinect.....hopefully not, but VR too. Technologies that are really good and sow a lot of promise but they are never fully realized in potential. Either they end up abandoning them, killing the tech, ignoring it, or just producing the lowest denominator of crap for them. Nintendo seems to the best at getting that potential out of their tech, but even then they can't do that much alone and even avoid doing much with it at times.

Add it blows it really blows because we could have some amazing passive experience with Kinect for example. It doesn't have to be waggle at all.

I would also like to add the 3DS to the list, man glassless 3D is amazing when it works I really wish it would be explored more.

To touch upon a point brought up in OP. Even though fans would probably argue about this, Nintendo isn't a godly entity. They can't endlessly keep giving money to developers just to support their platform. We've had a few experiments with Nintendo and Platinum collaborating, which gave us the spectacular W101 and Bayo2. Other collabs led to Hyrule Warriors and such. But... it's also a bit of an awkward place like.. People have been saying Nintendo needed Minecraft forever on their console and that they should just fund the port themselves. Eventually Wii U did get Minecraft, but if it happened because Nintendo funded it and that got in the news, at a certain point developers are gonna be knocking at Nintendo's doors for money rather than fund a port themselves or via other investors.

About the control scheme and unfulfilled potential.. The gamepad just tries to do too much. It presents developers with a dilemma. Have off-TV play available, or go for a unique control scheme but lose off-TV play. That is just a tragic design flaw. Like, the potential can't be used 'fully' because using one element, usually means taking away another. There's too much choice, often leading to laziness in the end. The potential that is there needs to be condensed and I hope Nintendo can do that for NX's controller(s).

ameleco

That's like half the games sans Pikmin that use the pad well right there. Xenoblade I disagree to some extent, I loathe not having a map I can just pull up on my TV from the main menu. I will say they at least went ahead and built the map and probe system around using the pad though.

How could I forget Pikmin :( I loved that game. Captain Toad, too, I believe used it for more than just a second screen. To rotate the camera maybe? Been awhile. Anyways, I guess it just didn't bother me as much because I really liked off tv play. Wanna play in a different room? Off tv play. Wanna play in bed? Off tv play. Watching tv? Off tv play. I used it for most games that I could use it with. Plus, I really didn't expect much use out of the game pad for something like Mario Kart besides a map/mirror screen.

A system with 7 year old specs that's handcuffed by a battery guzzling oversized expensive controller never had much potential to begin with. Not to mention the online infrastructure and how painfully slow the OS was in the beginning. The system was doomed from the start.

Skikkiks

After around three years of owning the console, the only game I'd consider truly great is the game that made me want to buy the system
Tropical Freeze

Other than that, I haven't bought a Wii U game since Smash came out. So overall 5/10 see ya later skippy.

The Wii felt like a bunch of ideas manifested into a gimmick. It didn't work as well as they wanted, but the potential was obvious as soon as they showed it.

The Wii U felt like a gimmick looking for ideas. And Nintendo had a weird idea of what ideas would be good enough.

Unless Pokemon Snap U comes out, the Wii U will never go SSJ

fucking pokemon snap

FUCKING POKEMON SNAP

Their excuse was "Oh, everyone has a smartphone camera now, so the novelty of taking pictures would be boring."

Completely ignoring that those cameras don't peer into fantastic Pokémon Worlds. Hell, there was a series of FPX videos they made, but they didn't make one of you in Mario's world, or something similar. Why not? Would've been great.

Gator86

It's all about the games. In that way, Wii U far exceeded expectations. Even in a short period of time, the Wii U library is Nintendo's best since the SNES. And that's true even with Zelda Wii U still on the horizon.

Co-op 3D Mario platforming bliss, the GOAT kart racer w/nearly 50 tracks, 1080p/60 fps HD Smash w/an insane roster, the perfect realization of the Pikmin concept, an infectious Zelda Musou crossover that no one knew they wanted, an all time great character action sequel we never thought we'd get, brilliant level creator suite for gaming's most iconic franchise, the return of David Wise in all his glory, and, screw it, Nintendo Land was awesome too!

What more do you want for Wii U to reach its' potential
OP?

People should not get into list wars when it comes to defending the WiiU. Yeah, those are all great games. Every console has a handful of great games. The problem with the WiiU is it basically only has that handful. The entire console is dependent on whether you like a handful of titles, a problem not shared by the PS4 or XBone.

An open world pokemon game with the gamepad being the pokedex was not created...that killed the Wii U for me. Hoping they do better with NX.

Despite owning one; the system, account, games have been a complete mess. Releasing Mario Tennis and Amiibo Festival sums up Nintendos treatment of the system.

How does Nintendo realeasing 2 stinkers out of all the great games they published for the system signify the treatment they gave it?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Their excuse was "Oh, everyone has a smartphone camera now, so the novelty of taking pictures would be boring."

Completely ignoring that those cameras don't peer into fantastic Pokémon Worlds.

Pokémon GO will likely take care of scratching that itch. In fact, if that game is what it should be, it'll be interesting to see if the reams of cash pouring in from it make Nintendo think twice about fighting the uphill console battle rather than revolutionizing the mobile world with some new ideas and quality control.

The simple fact is though they won't get third party support without a system at or above the level of parity required. If Nintendo gimp their hardware in favour of a lower price and gimmicks on the NX it will be a repeat of the Wii-U

Thing is though, it only been in the last 6 months to a year where games have stopped appearing on PS3/360.

If publishers really wanted, the Wii U could have had, Metal Gear 5, Gta V, Battlefield 4, Destiny, Dragon Age Inquisition, Farcry 4, Battlefield Hardline, Alien Isolation, Plants Vs Zombies, Diablo 3, Shadow of Mordor, Wolfenstein, The Evil Within amongst others are all cross generation titles.

There may be several reasons why the Wii U did not get those titles, strangled relationships, or publishers simply not caring, whatever, but the Wii U could have easily have had support for a few years at least. It may have been underpowered, but it wasn't a lost cause for third party developers, and a potential revenue stream they neglected to pursue.

Dmax3901

I bought my Wii U in 2012, I got Zombi U and Pikmin 3, both of which I enjoyed a lot, but the main reason I bought it was the inevitable fantastic Nintendo games that were coming.

Didn't quite expect the Wii U to fail commercially to this extent, but looking back at my Wii U library, it's hard to feel upset.

Zombi U, Pikmin 3, Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, Bayonetta 2, Captain Toad's Treasure Trackers, Super Mario Maker, Splatoon.

Not the best lineup when considering it's an ENTIRE generation, but my Wii U was always a companion to my gaming PC and more recently my PS4. As a Nintendo fan it bums me out that it failed, but I had a great time playing the above games, and I know I couldn't have got those experiences anywhere else (forgetting Zombi U for a moment).

At this point I'm content with the money I spent and the time invested, and I can't fucking wait to hear more about the NX.

Pokémon GO will likely take care of scratching that itch. In fact, if that game is what it should be, it'll be interesting to see if the reams of cash pouring in from it make Nintendo think twice about fighting the uphill console battle rather than revolutionizing the mobile world with some new ideas and quality control.

Pokemon Go is going to be big. :)

bumpkin

I bought my Wii U in 2012, I got Zombi U and Pikmin 3, both of which I enjoyed a lot, but the main reason I bought it was the inevitable fantastic Nintendo games that were coming.

Didn't quite expect the Wii U to fail commercially to this extent, but looking back at my Wii U library, it's hard to feel upset.

Zombi U, Pikmin 3, Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, Bayonetta 2, Captain Toad's Treasure Trackers, Super Mario Maker, Splatoon.

Not the best lineup when considering it's an ENTIRE generation, but my Wii U was always a companion to my gaming PC and more recently my PS4. As a Nintendo fan it bums me out that it failed, but I had a great time playing the above games, and I know I couldn't have got those experiences anywhere else (forgetting Zombi U for a moment).

At this point I'm content with the money I spent and the time invested, and I can't fucking wait to hear more about the NX.
Agreed on all points. I own most of the same games and have the same takeaway. Regardless of what "place" the Wii U ended up in, Nintendo are master game creators. Everything they put out is of the highest quality with a few rare exceptions (i.e. the new Mario Tennis). I know that when I get a Nintendo system, I'm going to get top notch games with their IPs that I can only play on their system. That's all I can ask for.

Here's hoping that they learned something from the U and that the NX is a better proposition for the regular gamer who might not necessarily have an affinity for the big N's legacy.

Thing is though, it only been in the last 6 months to a year where games have stopped appearing on PS3/360.

If publishers really wanted, the Wii U could have had, Metal Gear 5, Gta V, Battlefield 4, Destiny, Dragon Age Inquisition, Farcry 4, Battlefield Hardline, Alien Isolation, Plants Vs Zombies, Diablo 3, Shadow of Mordor, Wolfenstein, The Evil Within amongst others are all cross generation titles.

There may be several reasons why the Wii U did not get those titles, strangled relationships, or publishers simply not caring, whatever, but the Wii U could have easily have had support for a few years at least. It may have been underpowered, but it wasn't a lost cause for third party developers, and a potential revenue stream they neglected to pursue.

I stated before though after that post that the issue is parity both graphically and hardware wise. The Wii-U is a different architecture and would have required a team to port over and rework the games specifically for Wii-U. Given previous sales I'm pretty sure they weren't willing to do that. Provided the NX is x86 and as or more powerful than say the Xbox one I think it will get TPS.

I stated before though after that post that the issue is parity both graphically and hardware wise. The Wii-U is a different architecture and would have required a team to port over and rework the games specifically for Wii-U. Given previous sales I'm pretty sure they weren't willing to do that. Provided the NX is x86 and as or more powerful than say the Xbox one I think it will get TPS.

every console needs people to port to it (or, correctly, to compile a "build" for it), whether it's power, x86, ARM or its cpu is made of unicorns and testicles

apis are different on any box

ps4 and xb1 have near-identical hardware, but it requires different builds, different testing procedures, different optimization procedures, different QA testers, different everything. you cant push the magic "port pc version" button

compiling for wii u is no different. you need a team and a dedicated slate of folks from top to bottom, even with its lower class of hardware. in general, if the 360 will run the game, the wii u will run the game. it just takes work (also known as moneys). there have been lots of 360 games recently, including call of duty multiplayer edition.

it has much less to do with hardware power, and much more to do with return on investment for said hardware.

people have to end that line of thinking as the crux of the issue. it's very far down on the list of reasons

jholmes

I largely agree with the OP but at the end of the day the platform's had a ton of really fantastic software and I've just loved my time with it. In 10 years all the people taking a shit on the Wii U now are going to bemoan how nobody takes a chance at anything like they did with the Wii U and say they liked it back in the day, just like what happened with the Dreamcast.

I was hoping the selfie camera would be used more in multiplayer games. Seems like such a fun concept being able to actually see your opponents' faces during combat.

That's a lot of fun, but it limits what you can do with Miiverse and online (Nintendo doesn't want people showing pictures of just anything over the Internet) so I get why there's not more of it.

Why is this not a thing?

The Wii U Gamepad is Wii's Star Wars Light Saber game all over again.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1829438086/popup-dungeon

Hopefully people can stop talking about that damn Penny Arcade strip already.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
So much happier with my Wii U than my Wii. Best Nintendo console for me in a long time.

Anyone who hasn't played Affordable Space Adventures in co-op, by the way, has missed the single best use case for the gamepad and asymmetrical gameplay. I highly, highly recommend it. Those guys used the gamepad better than Nintendo ever did.

I second this

WE KNOW the reasons... the fact is no one felt like trying to make it work/too much work/not worth the effort... but Technically possible? absolutely.

in 720p with 1k textures no AA 30fps.

Zipzo

Banned
Wii U for me paid for itself completely through Smash Bros hype. It further solidified its worth through other excellent couch multiplayer experiences like in Super Mario, Mario Kart, and ultimately provided me with multiple repetitious orgasms in consecutive form while playing Xenoblade X.

I can't really complain.

oni-link

I dunno, I'm pretty happy with it. I also consider its library tangibly superior to the Wii.

Same, the Wii only really had 6 or 7 games I enjoyed/was interested in

I've only had a Wii U a year and I love the thing, all that polish, all that 60fps glory, it's what a console should be

Only things I dislike are the gamepad (pro controller for life) and the EU Virtual Console being over priced and featuring a ton of shitty 50 Hz rom dumps that are bewilderingly dimmed for some reason

If the NX is more or less the same, but with a standard controller and vastly improved eShop I'll be delighted

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I don't see this missed potential. Ancient hardware with a bootleg, low resolution tablet. Failed gimmick.

Spoken by a non-owner, I assume?

Some of my fondest recent multiplayer memories involve Mario Party 10's Bowser Party mode and Nintendoland's various multiplayer offerings.

Asynchronous multiplayer was the bee's knees but only a handful of titles did anything with the tech.

Hence a missed bit of potential.

I played the witcher 3 immediately after XCX and I missed the Gamepad sorely. The Wii U is the ultimate RPG and adventure game console thanks to the gamepad. I hated having to pause the game often to refer to maps and inventory when with a gamepad I could just glance down and get my info without disrupting the experience.

Wish Nintendo didnt waste its potential.

ViolentP

Spoken by a non-owner, I assume?

Some of my fondest recent multiplayer memories involve Mario Party 10's Bowser Party mode and Nintendoland's various multiplayer offerings.

Asynchronous multiplayer was the bee's knees but only a handful of titles did anything with the tech.

Hence a missed bit of potential.

I agree with him, but in not-so-harsh terms. Their system works for many, but for that demographic Nintendo missed this time around, the WiiU simply isn't to be taken seriously.

RAIDEN1

The last time Nintendo bothered playing on a near level playing field with the competition was 2000//2001 with the release of the Gamecube...(from a hardware perspective) after that they've been in the opposite direction ever since...

Hopefully with the release of NX that system will put right what the Wii U got wrong...

I largely agree with the OP but at the end of the day the platform's had a ton of really fantastic software and I've just loved my time with it. In 10 years all the people taking a shit on the Wii U now are going to bemoan how nobody takes a chance at anything like they did with the Wii U and say they liked it back in the day, just like what happened with the Dreamcast.

Yup, "This console is amazing, how did it fail? The games are amazing but so expensive, damn collectors pushing up the prices!" It's coming.

rardk64

Mario Party series has dropped dramatically in frequency of releases since the gamecube era. And the series needed a good break to come back fresh (and because of change of developers) but Mario Party 10 was not the way to go. Personally for me, the biggest draw from the Mario Party series was screwing your friends over, having a bunch of random interactions on the map, and fun minigames. From what I heard the mini games are decent in Mario Party 10 but the "everyone in one car" bullshit really took a damper on the fun. Last year me and my friends replayed Mario Party 5 on the gamecube and had a blast. We played Mario Party 9 right afterwards and the magic just wasn't there. This is really disappointing because motion controls are great for this type of game and the series is going to have a rough time moving forward without them.

Agreed on Mario Party. I've had a few mostly enjoyable games of Mario Party 10, but it's not the same. For one, the whole combining everyone into a car IS broken. It's changing the game for a "fresh" new take, but it went in the wrong direction. As far as Mario Party goes, I'd rather play an HD remake collection of the first 3 games than another new one in the style of 10.

As for the Wii U's potential, I absolutely agree. The Gamepad had a ton of potential, but people didn't widely accept it. As a result of the poor sales, Nintendo's been trying to make the games that should instil big sales numbers, and now that they haven't, it feels like they're keeping games coming out until the next thing.

The Wii U could've done so much more. I love it for what it is, but it could've been a lot more.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Never buy a videogame console on future promises, only buy one what's available here and now.

While I agree I think some, maybe many would say future promises is what helped the PS4, XBO sale well early on.

Nerrel

People would be saying that because the software was incredible, but it doesn't change the fact that the system itself was a total dud. It was often outperformed by a system 7 years older, the hardware upgrades it did have were trivial, and its main feature was useless or even detrimental in the majority of games. Most of the great software on the system is great in spite of the gamepad, not because of it. The number of people who prefer the Wii U Pro- and the fact that they can play most games with it with absolutely no sacrifice- is an indication of how meaningless the pad usually was. The system was a mess. I love Nintendo and haven't bought a competitor's console for generations, but even I felt like they deserved to fail when Wii U was unveiled.

The best thing I can say about the system is that it drove Nintendo to overdeliver on software. The Wii U's library is full of classics. But they're classics that in no way require the gamepad to be great in any way at all.

I dunno, I'm pretty happy with it. I also consider its library tangibly superior to the Wii.

It tangibly does not have its own Zelda or Metroid game. It's barely even a Nintendo system.
Superior my ass. It' the worst system Nintendo has put out since the Virtual Boy.

People should not get into list wars when it comes to defending the WiiU. Yeah, those are all great games. Every console has a handful of great games. The problem with the WiiU is it basically only has that handful. The entire console is dependent on whether you like a handful of titles, a problem not shared by the PS4 or XBone.

Saying the Wii U library is the best since SNES and listing the highlights isn't list wars, though. List wars is shit posting a list of items without any context or discussion about the list's overall merit. My context for that list is that a system's quality is all about the library. Even looking at only the top 10 titles, the Wii U library far exceeded my expectations. IMO, anyway.

RopeSnake

Banned
It tangibly does not have its own Zelda or Metroid game. It's barely even a Nintendo system.
Superior my ass. It' the worst system Nintendo has put out since the Virtual Boy.

Wii u is getting its own Zelda this year. As for Metroid, since you love it so much try to not boycott the franchise so Nintendo will keep it alive.

and you must not be a Wii U owner LOL Virtual Boy was a piece of shit that made kids have seizures, like 8 of 10 people that I know who own a Wii U, they all enjoy the console and its games.

jholmes

The best thing I can say about the system is that it drove Nintendo to overdeliver on software. The Wii U's library is full of classics. But they're classics that in no way require the gamepad to be great in any way at all.

I'm not sure how else you think someone could play Mario Maker but OK.

I use the GamePad a lot and really like it.

Justinh

The developers for The Last Story hasn't developed anything worthwhile since The Last Story was released and Nintendo could have easily scooped them up for a sequel to fill in the gaping hole of RPGs for the Wii U.
I think a lot of people would be happy if anyone would scoop up Mistwalker to make a new console RPG, but I guess you have a point that Wii U had some "holes" that could've used "filling." ~Lewd...
The Wii U is basically a Zelda player for me and that's all.

Yeah, I bought the Wii U mainly because I expected to be able to play the new Zelda game on it. Thank God that appears to still be the case.

Yeah, I think a new Pokemon Snap probably would've done great, and I know there's an Art Academy thing on it, but I'm surprised there was not a "Mario Paint" branded suite of drawing, music doodling, and mini-games.

man, I was looking for this picture a while ago. I wish it actually happened. I don't see why it couldn't happen with Smartglass, though.

Its the same feel of being a Vita owner. The hardware is amazing and had the potential to be so more than what it was but no body bought it.

cyba89

I'm just happy we got a game like Mario Maker on the console. My WiiU will be hooked up to the TV for years to come just because of that game.
While Smash, Splatoon and Mario Kart will probably get replaced by their NX sequels I'm not so sure we will get a new Mario Maker game on the next console.

Top Bottom