• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It saddens me that the Wii U will never reach its full potential.

I don't think the Wii U had any potential, it's an under-powered console lacking key features with a terrible controller. It has some good games because Nintendo will always make quality games regardless of the hardware, but the console itself if a disaster.

I think Miiverse and the use of the screen (Drawing, handwritten posts) is a really compelling way of doing an online community in my opinion, and better than psn/live in that regard. Hopefully Accounts will be as accessible as the others though soon.

Illucio

Banned
So many game possibilities canned.

I think the greatest problem Nintendo had with the console is that fans suggested AMAZING ideas they could had used with the Wii U. But Nintendo ended up only doing the bare minimum.

Pokemon Snap U
Game where person with Tablet is the Boss Monster and the rest are heroes taking him down. (Nintendo Land showed little of this idea, but I would love to see it go full swing.)
Online Team Base Game using nothing but the tablet

We got the Zelda Inventory that everyone wanted... And we can move the tablet to point and shoot! That's it. Which is the same for most other games as well.

Nintendo is more focused on their Amiibo situation which they didn't even think would take off and they don't even know what to do with them. And rushing NX along since 1 or 2 years ago.

I'm really upset with them this gen and I will remember how they handled Wii U when deciding to buy a NX.

It's funny that the reason it's called the GamePad is to hark back to the traditional name for controllers because it was meant to be a more traditional evolution of the standard controller compared to the drastic re-imagining that was the Wiimote. Nintendo was literally saying "this is a standard gamepad!"

But apparently adding just a screen to a standard controller is too much to cope with for some people.

It was bulky, had poor battery life, and was marketed as a damn gimmick for asymetrical play and off tv play.

Not the worst idea ever but it delivered those gimmicks in underwhelming fashion for sure

biteren

im picking up Bayo 2 for mine here soon, long overdue but it finally came down to a price i like.

too bad they diddnt wake a warioware game for WIIU, i definatly would have been interested

Red Devil

Seeing as I've owned one since launch, the similarities haven't escaped me, no.

Then?

So many game possibilities canned.

I think the greatest problem Nintendo had with the console is that fans suggested AMAZING ideas they could had used with the Wii U. But Nintendo ended up only doing the bare minimum.

Pokemon Snap U
Game where person with Tablet is the Boss Monster and the rest are heroes taking him down. (Nintendo Land showed little of this idea, but I would love to see it go full swing.)
Online Team Base Game using nothing but the tablet

We got the Zelda Inventory that everyone wanted... And we can move the tablet to point and shoot! That's it. Which is the same for most other games as well.

Nintendo is more focused on their Amiibo situation which they didn't even think would take off and they don't even know what to do with them. And rushing NX along since 1 or 2 years ago.

I'm really upset with them this gen and I will remember how they handled Wii U when deciding to buy a NX.

Pokémon Snap on Wii U could've been good but let's not lie to ourselves it wouldn't have changed the fortunes of the console. I like the second screen on Zelda games but for whatever reason people doesn't, go figure.

It was bulky, had poor battery life, and was marketed as a damn gimmick for asymetrical play and off tv play.

Not the worst idea ever but it delivered those gimmicks in underwhelming fashion for sure

Then again I don't think most people even knew that was an issue with the console, heh.

RopeSnake

Banned
I agree with some stuff you said but I love my Wii U, I just wish I could get more games for it.

Its library may be not that big but is definitely a step forward from the shovelware fest that was the Wii. And I like the VC despite NoA fucking us up when it comes to localizing and releasing games.

Depending on how Zelda U, Pokken and Star Fox amaze me, I can see myself ranking it above the SNES, which is my favorite Nintendo console. Mother 3 being localized will have a big influence too.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
They didn't even make a Wario Ware for 3DS either. Seems the team wanted to take a break from that series. Game and Wario was still fun though.

If anything I'd want them to revisit Wario Ware DIY. Mario Maker has shown that if the level sharing is easy both for the creator and player people will get creative. DIY was held back by the DS but now I think the systems are in place where it could finally shine.

Bliddo

I always bought everything from Nintendo. WiiU pretty much killed all my enthusiasm. I stopped caring (and buying crap) a couple of years ago and never looked back.

Anyone who hasn't played Affordable Space Adventures in co-op, by the way, has missed the single best use case for the gamepad and asymmetrical gameplay. I highly, highly recommend it. Those guys used the gamepad better than Nintendo ever did.

Came here to post this. Zombi U, too.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
But most everyone knew this would happen when the specs were revealed that it wasn't anymore powerful than a PS3 or 360. Once multiplatform games started pouring out during the next gen, it wouldn't be able to handle them.

I think the Wii U could never hit it's full potential (if it had any to begin with) because it was far too little too late. We had already lived through 8 years of the PS3 and 360 and were ready for something new. Besides the new controller, there wasn't anything new. In fact, it was dated by the time it launched.

I bought one at launch but it remains a major disappointment.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Asymmetrical gameplay. That was made me excited.

I had one amazing co-op session with the metroid game in Nintendo Land.

After that I was waiting for the inevitable full fledged game with similar mechanics.
This is the saddest part. Asymmetrical multiplayer was so fun, and yet they basically just did one tech demo and dropped the idea entirely. My friend and his non-gamer wife hung out with us, and by the end of the night she was begging to buy a Wii U so they could play Animal Crossing: Sweetest Day and Mario Chase.

Wii U should've been the ultimate local multiplayer party machine. It's shocking how badly Nintendo fucked it up.

Mohasus

I actually feel the same way about the original Wii even though it was a commercial success. So many cut and pastes of bad ideas, the really good stuff was never copied or never happened at all.

I never understood how there wasn't a mario tennis game for the wii, just the GC port.

The weird thing is I dont hate the system honestly

Especially nowadays when i casually play Mario Maker and Smash with my buds

I dunno man. I think the rough launch and long waits for updates and better useability really hurt this thing over time

Agreed. My fiancee tried to play 3D world with it and kept getting frustrated by having to take her eyes off of the game screen to look at the gamepad.

Me, I just hated the bulkiness, terrible battery life, and low quality screen that was rarely used for anything useful. I tried to use it for Off tv play and it would cut out as soon as the gamepad was moved more than 6 feet away.

This is the saddest part. Asymmetrical multiplayer was so fun, and yet they basically just did one tech demo and dropped the idea entirely. My friend and his non-gamer wife hung out with us, and by the end of the night she was begging to buy a Wii U so they could play Animal Crossing: Sweetest Day and Mario Chase.

Wii U should've been the ultimate local multiplayer party machine. It's shocking how badly Nintendo fucked it up.

I think the completely underwhelming reaction to Nintendoland, especially after how big of a deal they made about it, scared them. The public just never seemed interested in the Wii U, even from the get go.

Gator86

I sold my WiiU without having played even a dozen games on it. I don't know what the WiiU's ceiling was, but it didn't even reach what I thought would be it's floor.

Same, I'm always wondering what would've happened if there was a) proper communication and b) Nintendo took more advantage of the GamePad. In the end, I think the controller was too nebulous of a product.

Agreed. My fiancee tried to play 3D world with it and kept getting frustrated by having to take her eyes off of the game screen to look at the gamepad.

Me, I just hated the bulkiness, terrible battery life, and low quality screen that was rarely used for anything useful. I tried to use it for Off tv play and it would cut out as soon as the gamepad was moved more than 6 feet away.

Gamess tied to the system, pain to set up any features because the UI and menus are slow and confusing... Lack of internal storage ans how external storage was handled....

You can make quite a large list of compromises this system made players endure.

And people think the NX will be different.

Nintendo have lost it.

My interpretation of GAF's view has been completely different. Based on the NX threads GAF seem to think they'll release another piece of underpowered hardware that relies on gimmicks over hardware.

ViolentP

The double-width? The intrusive screen? The battery life? There is much more to a controller than just button layout.

My interpretation of GAF's view has been completely different. Most of the people based on the NX threads seem to think they'll release another piece of underpowered hardware that relies on gimmicks over hardware.

Personally speaking, they've given me little reason to believe anything different.

Nere

Can't say I feel sad about it. Nintendo made so many severe mistakes with the Wii U, I just hope they don't repeat the same mistakes with their next console.

brawly

The Wii U could have been a lot better had it not been a Nintendo console, basically? Because the Cube was the exact same as the Wii U and the Wii would have been a repeat had it not been a fluke megaton hit.

I enjoyed all the time i had with the Wii U but I do agree that the gamepad was very underutilized. Aside from Splatton and Mario Maker what did Nintendo actually use it for aside from another map?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
It's a failed console and a lost cause and whatever but I got my money's worth. 3D World and Mario Kart 8 are both excellent. Splatoon is the best game I've played in 15 years. My Xbone and PS4 sit there mostly unused while I play Splatoon every night. I dunno. I'm here for the games, and while there weren't a ton of ones, the lofty highs that the truly excellent Wii U games hit are tremendously high. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Indeed, although that failing was more on Sony than anything else. Their anti consumer practices killed the device.

Nailed it

Poor Vita. Outside of the memory cards there was very little to dislike about the system

Talk about cutting a digital and portable system at the knees

Cleve

Bought a Wii U on launch day.

I don't think I've ever owned a console that I've played as infrequently or with as long gaps between releases that interest me.

It's basically a device in my home that reminds me when I should dust. I'm glad I own the black model, all 32 gigs of it.

It still kind of bugs me that it has a SD slot that you can't actually save wii-u content to. I know you can add an external hdd (and I have) but the SD card would just be more convenient and probably not much slower than the wii-u's awful usb transfer rate.

What dbz character is Wii u? I don't even think it qualifies as yamcha tier

Probably Mr. Satan.

Yukinari

It doesnt help that some of the best Wii U games like Tropical Freeze were completely ignored despite the amount of love put into them.

Whats gonna happen if NX doesnt have Wii U ports? An entire gen of great Nintendo games left behind?

Portugeezer

I think, if NX turns out to be what I think it will be, they will have learned a lot from the last several console cycles. I think the main problem with Nintendo is that they're dev teams are spread far too thin along console and handheld devices. IF NX merges the two (as their restructuring dev studios seem to suggest), those software droughts will be far less brutal, and, in fact, they would be releasing a very steady stream of software.

Agreed. And they pretty much needed to, because third party support is clearly not reliable for Nintendo.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Probably the last console from Nintendo I ever buy. It had some quality games, but nowhere near enough to justify the purchase. I'm pretty convinced Nintendo has no interest in having a competitive presence in the console market. NX will be the same, some great Nintendo games, probably bullshit online, horrible 3rd party support, and low sales numbers.

Indeed, although that failing was more on Sony than anything else. Their anti consumer practices killed the device.

I really don't think that expensive memory killed the system as much as the fact that their target market simply doesn't care about dedicated portables anymore.

Sony made an incredible machine for a market that no longer exists. Nintendo made the Wii U as a reaction to the shifting market, but did it in a confusing, hamfisted way.

Nailed it

Poor Vita. Outside of the memory cards there was very little to dislike about the system

Talk about cutting a digital and portable system at the knees

Yeah the expensive memory cards and lack of first party support is what killed it for me. Its a great system but I feel like we will never get any more amazing games like the PSP had. How I would love to have another God Of War or Dissidia game for Vita..

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I enjoyed all the time i had with the Wii U but I do agree that the gamepad was very underutilized. Aside from Splatton and Mario Maker what did Nintendo actually use it for aside from another map?

Nintendoland was technically their Wii Sports in terms of demoing the controller, but made up attractions based on Nintendo properties aren't quite as accessible as telling someone to mimic action of real sports that they are already familiar with.

Game and Wario also did a few interesting things.

I thought Pikmin 3 was an interesting approach, the GamePad was an additional screen that you could navigate and use to navigate your team while using the Wiimote and nunchuck to play. A double controller setup that's not often seen.

Completely unrelated to games but it is the best YouTube browser for your TV. Being able to have the video play independently on the TV while you browser on the Pad is great.

The top shelf games on the Wii U are some of the best ever though.

I don't think anyone would argue otherwise. :)

Completely unrelated to games but it is the best YouTube browser for your TV. Being able to have the video play independently on the TV while you browser on the Pad is great.

Can't you do that with a smartphone, laptop, or tablet now? My youtube app on my tv lets me pair any device to it for control, browsing, playback etc.

Malice215

I'm really saddened by the way Nintendo handled the Wii U. I wouldn't have bought one if not for Mario Maker which is a really great title.

Hopefully the NX doesn't turn out to be another disappointment.

Red Devil

Huh? Outside of a few 2 or 3 stages you don't need to watch at the GamePad...

The double-width? The intrusive screen? The battery life? There is much more to a controller than just button layout.

The width sure, now the screen, what's the problem with it that it adds width? And the battery life, you make it sound like every other controller that has a built in batter was much better, outside the Wii U Pro Controller(ironically) they're all quite bad.

Nintendo set extremely low standards and failed to achieve them lol.

The Wii U is the only Nintendo home console I haven't bought (except the NES because it was all about the C64 in England back in the day). They HAVE to deliver with the NX if they want to remain relevant in the core gaming industry, they cannot afford another generation of losing mind share due to silly mistakes.

For me the NX needs to be -

- More powerful than the PS4, they can easily do this 3 years later. Even only 50% more would suffice. There are no excuses for it not to be.

- Good games at launch, and probably a title packed in. Also port all / most of the Wii U hits and have them available on the digital store day one or close to.

- A sensible control scheme. No more silly gimmicks that aren't needed or really useful, and are only there to "be different".

- Proper account system, online service and friends system.

- Competitively priced. $350 / £300 at the very most (including pack in game).

Come on Nintendo, it really isn't that hard!

The only thing you should remember about the Wii U are the good times you had with it. Not about what might have been...

Look forward to your new relationship with the NX, and hope there are even more good times had with it.

I really don't think that expensive memory killed the system as much as the fact that their target market simply doesn't care about dedicated portables anymore.

Sony made an incredible machine for a market that no longer exists. Nintendo made the Wii U as a reaction to the shifting market, but did it in a confusing, hamfisted way.

It wasn't just memory cards, at system release it lacked features it should have had and focused on given it's rivals established position. TV out capabilities for instance were foregone for a future PSTV release that didn't even necessarily support the same titles. So they sabotaged their infastructure as well in a bid to wring more money out of people. The Memory cards certainly made for bad press and crushed sales though. Buyers are fickle, you have to offer them an attractively priced feature filled device, not compromises.

slit

The thing is the library is small but the top tier games are REALLY top tier even by Nintendo standards.

Generation defining games, just too bad it didn't catch on.

It wasn't just memory cards, at system release it lacked features it should have had and focused on given it's rivals established position. TV out capabilities for instance were foregone for a future PSTV release that didn't even necessarily support the same titles. So they sabotaged their infastructure as well in a bid to wring more money out of people. The Memory cards certainly made for bad press and crushed sales though. Buyers are fickle, you have to offer them an attractive feature filled device, not compromises.

The memory card prices are the reason I switched to the 3DS instead, I was a huge PSP fan but i wasn't willing to throw $60 for a memory card that barely holds any games.

ViolentP

The width sure, now the screen, what's the problem with it that it adds width? And the battery life, you make it sound like every other controller that has a built in batter was much better, outside the Wii U Pro Controller(ironically) they're all quite bad.

I don't like the tablet functionality. Even other games that utilize an iPad/Surface as a second screen do not entice me. Sometimes I like sitting in a dark room and playing a game with all my focus, not broken up by looking away from the screen to manipulate an external device. The backlight itself I find distracting in a dark room. As for the battery life, sure, no console is killing it. But to answer your question as to my distaste for using the WiiU controller, I compounded the common issues I have with it.

I know many people out there love it and I have zero issue with that. The system however simply doesn't cater to me.

Top Bottom