• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It saddens me that the Wii U will never reach its full potential.

lyrick

Thanks makers of RTSs, MOBAs, and every tile based sim game out there, and a very special thank you n-Space & Digital Extremes for completely missing an actual useful platform to release Sword Coast Legends on...

FFS, is Terrraria even available for the Wii U yet?

Red Devil

It doesnt help that some of the best Wii U games like Tropical Freeze were completely ignored despite the amount of love put into them.

Whats gonna happen if NX doesnt have Wii U ports? An entire gen of great Nintendo games left behind?

Just like with every other console that fails commercially that still got good games, they'll get remade later or be forgotten.

Nintendo set extremely low standards and failed to achieve them lol.

The Wii U is the only Nintendo home console I haven't bought (except the NES because it was all about the C64 in England back in the day). They HAVE to deliver with the NX if they want to remain relevant in the core gaming industry, they cannot afford another generation of losing mind share due to silly mistakes.

For me the NX needs to be -

- More powerful than the PS4, they can easily do this 3 years later. Even only 50% more would suffice. There are no excuses for it not to be.

- Good games at launch, and probably a title packed in. Also port all / most of the Wii U hits and have them available on the digital store day one or close to.

- A sensible control scheme. No more silly gimmicks that aren't needed or really useful, and are only there to "be different".

- Proper account system, online service and friends system.

- Competitively priced. $350 / £300 at the very most (including pack in game).

Come on Nintendo, it really isn't that hard!

Prepare to be disappointed, because none of that is happening except the account system which as is it's a proper one, the only issue with it is how they prevent you from using it on multiple devices and the friends system is already there.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Can't you do that with a smartphone, laptop, or tablet now? My youtube app on my tv lets me pair any device to it for control, browsing, playback etc.

And you're stuck in YouTube. I can have a YouTube video (or a lot of other video playing sites like Twitch) playing while I browse a completely different site like GAF.

And to be honest I'm not really a fan of the YouTube TV app.

slit

Nintendo: Buy our platform to play the games that are exclusive to our platform. They'll be fantastic, but that's all you get.

If they could get them out more frequently I'd be 100% fine with that. NX is supposed to fix that. I guess we'll see.

I wish it launched with Super Mario Maker. That would've carried it right out of the gate.

I wish it launched with more than 32GB of "deluxe" storage. That's simply too small for an actual home console that was using BD-ROM-style discs and an online store for full retail software that was released in 2012.

I wish Nintendo would've spent the filthy lucre to make sure that the stuff that people expected (EA Sports, Calladooty, Assassin's Creed, Street Fighter) still were released. Even if it didn't get every game, there's no reason it couldn't have seen even 50% of the stuff that came out on PS3/360 through 2015.

I wish that either they'd have designed it to be more in line with the 360's design (if they were going to release hardware with similar power) to make ports easy - or if that wasn't going to happen, that they'd have made sure that the devkits were free and came with money hats to ensure that above point.

I wish they at least had the EXACT same VC support level that the OG Wii did, even if they were just going to make you buy it again.

I wish it launched at $250 like the original Wii, to make sure people would at least have bought it for the cheapness.

That said, I'll always enjoy the great titles that released for it - Nintendo's output w/Kart, Smash, 3D World, Splatoon, Xenoblade, Bayonetta 2 and so on were amazing. The Wii U will be a cult system like the Saturn or TG-16 was when we come back to it in a few years...

Terra

I have said it a thousand times, but can say it again.

If the Wii U had some nice third-party stuff to go from the start, it would have been different.

Skyrim - Legendary Edition with some nice use of the gamepad
Borderlands 2 - Legendary Edition
Diablo 3 with Reaper of Souls - Would have been an awesome start
Dark Souls 2
Fallout 4

And add to the above, all the fantastic games from Nintendo themselves!

Nintendo wasn't on the ball with Wii U. But it had great potential.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I am a huge Nintendo fan but the WiiU was doomed from the start. Having to use the Wiipad was incredibly dumb especially when it drains battery when it is not even on. I'd love to grab my wiiU pro controller, turn on the system, and play. Instead I got to charge up my WiiU Pad, also grab my pro controller, and etc. Just so annoying.

Put the Wii U gamepad into the charging cradle when you're done playing. That way it's back up to 100% battery next time you're ready to play.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Same. I think WiiU has been fantastic as an end user. Games are great and mostly exclusive. Anyone who didnt give the console a real chance did themselves a major disservice.
I do have to agree.

First-party exclusives aside, some indie gems also made possible only by the wiiU.

I have said it a thousand times, but can say it again.

If the Wii U had some nice third-party stuff to go from the start, it would have been different.

Skyrim - Legendary Edition with some nice use of the gamepad
Borderlands 2 - Legendary Edition
Diablo 3 with Reaper of Souls - Would have been an awesome start
Dark Souls 2
Fallout 4

And add to the above, all the fantastic games from Nintendo themselves!

Nintendo wasn't on the ball with Wii U. But it had great potential.

The simple fact is though they won't get third party support without a system at or above the level of parity required. If Nintendo gimp their hardware in favour of a lower price and gimmicks on the NX it will be a repeat of the Wii-U

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
It's difficult to enjoy something that nobody else does. All you end up hearing is how you're wrong and you've made a bad decision.

The simple fact is though they won't get third party support without a system at or above the level of parity required. If Nintendo gimp their hardware in favour of a lower price and gimmicks on the NX it will be a repeat of the Wii-U

anything that is able to run on the 360 is able to run on wii u with some work.

that should tell u enough

If they could get them out more frequently I'd be 100% fine with that. NX is supposed to fix that. I guess we'll see.

I think Nintendo did a great job of propping up two platforms that had weak 3rd party support with consistently good (until the last year or so with some garbage tier games) games across a wide variety of genres.

slit

The simple fact is though they won't get third party support without a system at or above the level of parity required. If Nintendo gimp their hardware in favour of a lower price and gimmicks it will be a repeat of the Wii-U

I'm not convinced even if the hardware was at parity or higher anything would change as far as 3rd parties. Honestly I think the only way Nintendo gets any 3rd party support back is if Sony or MS drop out of consoles altogether and they have no choice.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Whats gonna happen if NX doesnt have Wii U ports? An entire gen of great Nintendo games left behind?

Wait, what? The Wii U and its software library isn't going to suddenly disappear in a puff of smoke when the NX hits the market. Games and consoles will be out there to buy and enjoy.

Anyone that wants to play the Wii U's software library will be able to do so quite easily.

Rezae

Flawed controller (or you could argue that Nintendo blew MANY opportunities you utilize it properly and creatively), overpriced system (due to controller), poor account system, cumbersome friend set-up, mediocre online offerings, terrible marketing... there was really no realistic chance of the Wii U being a success, and I say this as someone with a large collection of Wii U games. They road on the coat tails of the Wii brand which they let rot away towards the end, and then when the sales weren't there (for most of the above reasons), it shouldn't have been a surprise that 3rd party support wasn't there either.

hatchx

Banned
Tropical Freeze is the best 2D platformer of all time.

There, I said it.

Honestly WiiU has some of my favorite games ever, and I've already enjoyed it more than the wii. Playing Metroid Zero Mission right now, and I still have to beat Yoshi, Fast Racing Neo, XCX, and I need to explore more of Mario Maker. I guess as a working man, I don't find enough time for all the WiiU games that have come out.

I'm not convinced even if the hardware was at parity or higher anything would change as far as 3rd parties. Honestly I think the only way Nintendo gets any 3rd party support back is if Sony or MS drop out of consoles altogether and they have no choice.

If parity is present (X86 with as or more powerful hardware) then there's absolutely no reason given that sales are decent it wouldn't get support. Middleware makes most easily ported. It's basically free money for publishers and devs.

joms5

Say what you will about the Wii U but I came with 3 of the best platformers of all time. The best Pikman to date, 2 new IP's (if you count Treasure Tracker as one), 2 HD Zelda games (which are now the definitive versions) and all of their games didn't need a day 1 patch. In fact I've never had a Wii U game crash on me ever.

Oh and their controller has a 40 hour battery life and free online.

Not bad if you ask me.

Dicer

Banned
I'm happy with the system, and what we got, I'm not happy with EA's initial treatment and then Ubi leaving, factors that hurt potential sales and kinda fucked the system...

Yeah they are the main problems, but they certainly didn't fucking help.

Real talk: can anyone actually think of scenario where the Gamepad would be a runaway success?Give the Wiimote some credit, it was intuitive and sold copies.

What the hell was the Gamepad supposed to do??

theRizzle

Anyone that wants to play the Wii U's software library will be able to do so quite easily.

I am standing in line literally right now at the Post Office waiting to pick up my Wii U from eBay. I haven't had a Nintendo system since N64 and I can't wait to get home and bust it open.

Lingitiz

What dbz character is Wii u? I don't even think it qualifies as yamcha tier

Considering it's given us the best games of the last few years in short bursts...it's like Gohan. Flashes of really awesome stuff at times but spent too long without training (games).

Real talk: can anyone actually think of scenario where the Gamepad would be a runaway success?Give the Wiimote some credit, it was intuitive and sold copies.

I think they hoped it would help porting games between 3DS and Wii U as they have a similar tool set, but the actual technical challenges turned out to be a real problem. Also the Wii U came when tablets were really hot.

In fact I've never had a Wii U game crash on me ever.

Have you played LEGO City Undercover?
Play it, it's actually amazing. The lack of co-op doesn't let me to call it one of the best Wii U titles, though.

I suppose it should be smaller... and it should be the only Wii U controller. Mish-mash of Wii U, Wii and GameCube controllers hurt the system more than GamePad alone, although it's fun to switch controllers once you've collected them all and provided you are playing a game which supports all of them.

QaaQer

without the ability to have 2 or more pads at the same time, the console's potential was gimped from day one. A shame really, it could have been the best couch coop system ever.

etking

Banned
If they had dropped the tablet and put out a real Wii Sports HD as a launch title, the Wii HD would be the market leader.

Prepare to be disappointed, because none of that is happening except the account system which as is it's a proper one, the only issue with it is how they prevent you from using it on multiple devices and the friends system is already there.

Without 'proper' hardware, they will never get any real 3rd party support again. They must surely realize that.

Launching outdated technology once again will just lead to another Wii U level product which 'nobody' will buy.

They will most likely be going to AMD for the guts of the hardware. The design is already laid out with the PS4. All they need to do is add a few compute units, clock it higher and build on a smaller process. Job done!

They can't be so stupid to not do something similar, I refuse to believe it!

Red Devil

Flawed controller (or you could argue that Nintendo blew MANY opportunities you utilize it properly and creatively), overpriced system (due to controller), poor account system, cumbersome friend set-up, mediocre online offerings, terrible marketing... there was really no realistic chance of the Wii U being a success, and I say this as someone with a large collection of Wii U games. They road on the coat tails of the Wii brand which they let rot away towards the end, and then when the sales weren't there (for most of the above reasons), it shouldn't have been a surprise that 3rd party support wasn't there either.

Once again almost the same argument, it all came down to marketing, because the general populace doesn't know about the rest you listed(even if some are argueable like the "cumbersome friend set-up").

Without 'proper' hardware, they will never get any real 3rd party support again. They must surely realize that.

Launching outdated technology once again will just lead to another Wii U level product which 'nobody' will buy.

They will most likely be going to AMD for the guts of the hardware. The design is already laid out with the PS4. All they need to do is add a few compute units, clock it higher and build on a smaller process. Job done!

They can't be so stupid to not do something similar, I refuse to believe it!

They can do that, but I don't think that'll result in a console at a "competitive price" nor that it'll be immediately succesful.

It's all about the games. In that way, Wii U far exceeded expectations. Even in a short period of time, the Wii U library is Nintendo's best since the SNES. And that's true even with Zelda Wii U still on the horizon.

Co-op 3D Mario platforming bliss, the GOAT kart racer w/nearly 50 tracks, 1080p/60 fps HD Smash w/an insane roster, the perfect realization of the Pikmin concept, an infectious Zelda Musou crossover that no one knew they wanted, an all time great character action sequel we never thought we'd get, brilliant level creator suite for gaming's most iconic franchise, the return of David Wise in all his glory, and, screw it, Nintendo Land was awesome too!

What more do you want for Wii U to reach its' potential
OP?

Meaty

I think the Wii U is a pretty fantastic console with pretty fantastic games, my only problem with it is that its too expensive to build a good library on it in comparison to the other consoles, so why would someone buy a console with fewer game options to spend MORE Money?

Xav

There are 1080p/60 games on Wii U, same way not every game on PS4/One is. Is always about priorities. Nintendo usually focus on 60fps, but resolution might take a hit.

Basically what I'm trying to say is I need to experience future Pikmin pizzas in a higher resolution.

QNxsoYR.jpg

Fuck it. Pikmin 4 NX, 4K pizza.

Make it so Nintendo.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
In some ways the Wii U's backwards compatibility is its greatest asset.

In one console you have access to:

• Wii U Retail Software
  • Wii U eShop Software
  • Wii Retail Software
  • Virtual Console Software (Wii U eShop & Wii Shop Channel Offerings)
  • Wiiware

That's a lot of great software all in one place. I can't forsee ever getting rid of my Wii U because it's plays so much.

Wii U reached its full potential with games like Xenoblade Chronicles X, Splatoon, Wind Waker HD, ZombiU and NintendoLand. All put the Gamepad to great use.

Other WiiU games like Captain Toad, Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2, Mario World, Mario Bros Donkey Kong, Pikmin 3, Fast Racing Neo, Mario Kart 8, Lego City and Smash are as good as a game could get in their genres.

In short, the WiiU is certainly not a console for everyone but I really enjoy(ed) it.

Nerrel

Sin & Punishment sequel & on-rail shooters. The death of motion controls will also be the death of on-rails shooters. The Sin & Punishment sequel was only possible with the re-release of the original on the Wii virtual console shop. And the controls of Sin & Punishment Star Successor worked perfectly for motion controls. The same with games like Dead Space: Extraction and House of the Dead: Overkill.

This had everything to do with how awesome IR aiming was and nothing to do with the Wii U. In fact, it was the Wii U going back to dual analog that killed off IR. It didn't matter that the remote was supported as an optional controller, developers didn't bother to support it because they no longer had to. RE: Revelations would have been a natural fit for remote controls, but Capcom wasn't going to bother with a side controller. Starfox Zero also could have been an amazing showcase of great IR controls, but thanks the the gamepad we're getting the game we are now. Sorry, but what you're complaining about is entirely the Wii U's fault.

I agree that there were more ideas out there that could have utilized the gamepad, but there's not much it could have done for Nintendo's core game series, and as Starfox demonstrates, trying to find a use for it where there honestly isn't one can be extremely detrimental to the game. I think it was a bad idea with potential limited to smaller scale titles and minigames, and Nintendo is right to phase it out as soon as possible.

Nintendo didn't figure out the best way to use the WiiU Gamepad until late into the system's lifespan.

Same thing with the original Wii, basically. Nintendo didn't figure out how best to utilize motion controls until near its end - with Skyward Sword.

Wii had a lot of good uses much earlier on. The IR camera was kicking ass pretty much from the start, and Red Steel 2 and Sports Resort were really using the motion+ well before Zelda.

joms5

Have you played LEGO City Undercover?
Play it, it's actually amazing. The lack of co-op doesn't let me to call it one of the best Wii U titles, though.

That was one of the games I bought when i got the system. Loved it. But will agree that the lack of co-op hurt the game a bit. Also I wish you could use the pro controller to play.

In a way, the WiiU feels like the first piece of Nintendo hardware even Nintendo didn't know how to build games around.

There are probably less than 10 games that use the gamepad in a way I care to engage in, some first party games literally don't use it at all, and on top of that the thing is too heavy and the default battery is shit for long sessions. Like, playing Xenoblade X right now, I use the pro controller and have the pad on the side (since there's no other way to use the map or fast travel) and have the screen set on lowest brightness with no rumble, and basically just let the battery getting low be my queue to take a break. I could just plug it in while playing, sure, but I figure it's a beneficial use of the thing's limitations :p

I don't think there's a single game on the system other than Pikmin I've personally enjoyed using the pad immensely. Best thing I can say about the system's hardware concept is I can play it like an uncomfortable handheld while other people use the TV.

woopWOOP

Don't fret, I'm sure hackers and modders will be able to make some cool homebrew for WiiU around the year 2030 that'll make neat use of those features!

ameleco

Never really agreed with this sentiment. I thought the few games that used the game pad for a unique purpose used it really well (Splatoon, Mario Maker, Kirby/Xenoblade to a lesser extent) and the games that didn't use the game pad always had off tv play which I feel like is a very underrated feature. It had great first party content that was really only missing Metroid and maybe Animal Crossing. Sure a few franchises had horrible entries like Mario Tennis/Mario Party, but to be honest, I really didn't care much about those particular franchises to begin with. I honestly never cared about third party support for the system or any Nintendo system really and the only time I could see someone getting upset about lack of third party support for the system was if that was the only system they could afford. If that's the case, obviously you should not get a Wii U unless you just really love only Nintendo games.

tl;dr Wii U was fine and brought good to great entries to most of Nintendo's franchises. The system isn't bad if you're a Nintendo fan.

Top Bottom