• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It would be relatively easy for Sony to counter Switch's success

wwm0nkey

Establishing a market doesn't work like that. Microsoft "countered" the iPod with the competent Zune, but the market very reasonably didn't arbitrarily jump over to something that achieved the same as an existing product. The Vita did a poor job of targeting the market that apparently Nintendo is finding with the Switch (though we're still at a point where we need to see how it plays out longer-term). I think in terms of mindshare, compounding the Vita's market failure with a "me too" product chasing the Switch would be unwise.

/thread

Also I really am still upset the Zune failed :( It was imo Microsoft's best efforts into hardware and UI. Had my HD since launch until it got stolen a few weeks ago, 7 years that thing lasted

Sony has done a great job by scoring Monster Hunter. People in the west don't understand but this series really moves systems in japan and will have long lasting effects on the health of the system.

MH World isn't going to move as many PS4s in Japan as the rest of the series moved handhelds. That's just not gonna happen

Linkark07

Banned
Despite loving my Vita, I don't think it would be wise to try and continue with the Vita. Sony just should forget the handheld business and continue with home consoles only.

Drackhorn

I'd rather see Sony use PSNow to make their console portable. They could include it as a feature of PS Plus. Buy the game digitally or on disc, unlock it on your PS4 and it's available for you to play in the cloud from any device. It would be cool to play PS games from an iPad paired via Bluetooth to a PS4 controller.
While I don't expect a Vita 2 Sony may have some tricks up its' sleeve for sure.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Lol. No way.

Just like Nintendo would just need to release a PS4-like console to get all 3rdParty support...am i right ?

Do you really feel 3rd party support will become/stay strong?
I fear it'll be like the Wii. Even now it doesn't seem that great.

UCBooties

Somewhere in the multiverse there may be a universe where the Vita launched with a sensible memory architecture, built in tv-out and dualshock pairing, robust first party support and functioning remote play. In that universe, maybe things worked out better. I certainly wish we lived in that universe because I love my Vita despite its faults.

But there is no way in hell Sony is going to spend the money trying to do a major revision 6 years after the fact to chase Nintendo into another fight for the handheld market with Nintendo already having a head start.

The only way for Sony to "counter" the Switch would be to ditch both the Vita and PS4 in favor of a hybrid console, thus offering devs a single target for all their games. Obviously they would have to be on some very potent drugs to do something so suicidal. Hell, even Microsoft would have to be, and they're the ones standing to benefit the most from changing the status quo.

That happened two years ago.

There are still games coming out from Japan. I was referring mainly to Japanese developers and to some indie developers, who after all have sustained the platform since year two.

The idea here would mainly to stop the bleeding, so to say. and then to try to capitalize on those features which people seem to love the most about the Switch, like its hybrid nature.

Nope. You even missed one of the Switch's greatest features, on the go local multiplayer with just one console.

I must say that I've never considered this to be Switch's main asset, but you do have a point.

Sony doesn't need a handheld, it's a waste of resources. Let Nintendo do their thing.

No they don't, but they shouldn't preclude themselves an additional avenue of profits, if one existed.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Establishing a market doesn't work like that. Microsoft "countered" the iPod with the competent Zune, but the market very reasonably didn't arbitrarily jump over to something that achieved the same as an existing product. The Vita did a poor job of targeting the market that apparently Nintendo is finding with the Switch (though we're still at a point where we need to see how it plays out longer-term). I think in terms of mindshare, compounding the Vita's market failure with a "me too" product chasing the Switch would be unwise.

Fist post. Nothing more to really say.

I admit I didnt read all the OP yet, but...

Firstly, what would this PSVita revision need to be a palatable offer?

1) Additional shoulder buttons and clickable sticks to perfectly mimic the DualShock layout.

2) 5 Ghz Wi-Fi chip for improved remote play.

3) HDMI out port to hook up the PSVita to any screen.

4) Ability to pair the system with DualShock controllers through Bluetooth.

5) Standard miniSD card port.

6) Overclocked SoC and increased VRam.

7) 720p screen.

I wouldnt mind all of this. Not as a counter to the Switch, but as another handheld from them.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Except the vita isn't and has never been a failure. A failure was the Virtual Boy, which ended production with only 22 games ever released. Vita was at the very least a modest success, not a blockbuster, and not enough for them to risk another go, probably.

I guess the WiiU wasnt a failure either ? Come on, most retailers dropped the Vita more or less after 2 years in the US.

DNAbro

Let the Vita die and let Nintendo succeed at something. Sony is doing great with the PS4, they don't have to counter Nintendo's success with the Switch.

joe_zazen

How to counter Nintendo portable consoles:

step one: create several beloved IPs with 20+ year histories and fanatical fanbases

step two: profit

FelipeMGM

that doesnt sound easy, and they dont have to counter anything, they can co-exist successfully with different approaches

Sorcerer

Vitas dead. And you forgot one main point. Sony doesn't have Nintendo's ip's. Sony rules the stay at home console market. No one company can succeed at everything.

Except the vita isn't and has never been a failure. A failure was the Virtual Boy, which ended production with only 22 games ever released. Vita was at the very least a modest success, not a blockbuster, and not enough for them to risk another go, probably.

If your baseline of failure is the Virtual Boy then there hasn't been any failed video game console since Apple's Pippin.

Eh, it doesn't sound much like a Switch-class device to me, but a device that's a faff to use in the ways people are enjoying the Switch.

Comparisons to Vita usually seem pretty warrantless - they disregard important context re: Switch's functionality and convenience, in order to paint this awkward narrative that Switch has simply been done before, that positive appraisals of Switch's hardware and its value proposition as a hybrid can be attributed to the overzealous eagerness of ignorant fans. Vita was a nice handheld, but if you can't understand the differences people see in the Switch, that's totally on you.

killatopak

Gold Member
I'll buy ten.

Honestly though, unless Sony can focus some of their great studios on the handheld, it has no chance to compete with the Switch.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Your "equasion" lacks one important component: games
Sony was always bad in successfully brining their mainline games to thier handhelds.
Sony's main audiance is also a stationary one, while Nintendo has most of the handheld players.
So no, releasing a Vita Pro will not counter Switch

You think an overclocked Vita will steal the Switch's thunder? Really? The Vita didn't even steal the massively underpowered 3DS's thunder. The fact of the matter is, Sony has never been interested in supporting their handhelds with anything more than half-assed ports, and for the Vita, even that support died off quickly.

Until Sony realizes that handheld version of IP made by inferior team =/= console version of IP with original team, they will never succeed in the handheld market.

A modest success for whom? I love my Vita, and I'm happy it continues to get support where it makes sense, but it had to have been a crushing disappointment for Sony, who would have invested a lot into making it happen in the first place, and was expecting Vita and PSP to shift 16m units by the end of March 2013.

No one considers even the N64 to be a modest success, and that system sold as many units in North America as the Super Nintendo, while also playing host to industry defining games, which even Vita or Wii U can't claim (unless late Minecraft ports count)

Peltz

Yep, this was well stated. Plus, Nintendo's main pitch of the Switch is that it's the next Nintendo console (even if you see it as primarily a handheld). Sony still has the PS4 and PS4Pro and wouldn't be able to position a Vita successor in similar fashion.

Furthermore, if it really were that simple, then Sony would have effectively "countered" the Wii when it came out with PS Move. But PS Move really didn't have a big impact on PS3's sales. And a revised Vita would similarly lack impact.

There's nothing wrong with each company sticking to its strengths. And the biggest kicker is that Sony really doesn't need to have a handheld on the market.

jchap

They would have to be willing to support their own device for it to compete. They aren't even really supporting PSVR.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
A Vita with HDMI out doesn't replicate the modular hybrid nature of the Switch, which is a pretty big selling point.

bomblord1

Banned
Op I think you're missing the part where there's a 10x odd power gap and a 6 year architecture difference between the Vita and Switch undocked. It's not really in a position to compete with the switch barring some miracle flood of must have software that target the Vita's specs first.

Just overclocking it wouldn't do much to get all games at 720p (given the incredibly high number of sub native res games) while still using the same chip unless you got to the point where it would have to be plugged into a wall to power.

big_erk

vizzini_zpsf5da0671.gif

Uh...No.

This comes from someone who loves their Vita.

andymcc

Banned
i don't think an incrementally improved handheld that is still home to mere b-team companion games of their marquee series is going to be as lucrative as a sell as the switch which has mainline, console games which also happens to be portable.

Pretty sure Sony said that they see Switch and PS4 sitting side by side not taking away sales from the other.
Don't think Sony will try another handheld or after abandoning it so quickly and blaming the market for the failure of the Vita instead of themselves
Selling under 20 million units and being dropped in most regions after a few years is a failure.
Japan is the only place it had a market and even then devs started moving to PS4, PC, and now Switch.

Just....no. The Switch is successful right now because it is Nintendo's flagship console that not only has the flagship Nintendo titles, but lets you play them largely uncompromised portably. That can't be countered with just a super Vita unless that super Vita could also play a largely uncompromised Uncharted 4, God of War, Horizon: Zero Dawn, etc.

BriGuy

Why does Sony need to counter the success of the Switch? They hit a home run with the be PS4 and seem to be coexisting with Nintendo just fine.

KORNdoggy

a new vita would still just be an optional peripheral. that will never counter something that is a standardized pack-in element of a console.

I think all Sony needs to do to make a successful portable is the following:

-it needs to be sold at 199US$ from the get-go;
-compatible with standards memory cards (SD cards, etc);
-has the support of indie studios and sony first-party;
-can output to TVs.

If these points are respected, I think the console has great chances of being successful.

For some Japanese and indie developers, PS4/Switch is starting to become the new PS4/Vita, which is exactly as I predicted, and why I bought a Switch to complement my Vita. And the first-party Nintendo games are the icing on the cake.

If this trend continues, Switch will practically be the Vita but with a larger userbase and actual first-party support, plus stronger Western third-party support (though exactly how strong remains to be seen).

If Sony wants to counter with a handheld or hybrid, they're going to have to actually try to support it. Or acknowledge its existence. But in a world where the only things Sony is interested in talking about are graphical showcases, I don't see that ever happening.

Top Bottom