• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Itagaki defeat TECMO & words about his next game

wRATH2x

Banned
akachan ningen said:
Everyone's getting their hopes up for a guy who has made one good game.
Ninja Gaiden was phenomenal, 2 was good. And I love the DOA games cuase they're amazingly fun and enjoyable.

Can't wait for his next game. I'll be calling it Blood & Boobs III: Number of the Breast till he officially announces the name.

A lot to prove Itagaki. Kamiya's escape effort was incredible stuff, so you have that to live up to. You're going to have to wipe away the stain that was NG2 as well..

Nickiepoo said:
Lets see if he can take the 'best brawler ever' crown back from Bayonetta.

This is incorrect. GodHand is the best brawler. Bayonetta is the best "stylish combat" game.

akachan ningen said:
Everyone's getting their hopes up for a guy who has made one good game.

NG1 wasn't just good, it was a masterpiece. NG2 was still good but unpolished. DOA series is good too.

nightside

good to know tomunobu, but next time ditch shitty boss fights (no more bow&arrow "pew pew". it sucks), get to proper 60fps and, please, a decent (at least) camera...pleeease....

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I think I read somewhere that it might be a WW2 game or something ..man that would suck :( I really want him to do an action game :D even though he clearly said he isnt going to :(

and I just wanna throw this out there ..
IN MY OPINION
NG2 > NG1 .. well ignoring that its an unpolished mess :lol

Come on Itagaki. Give us Ninjanetta.

Ninja Gaiden 2 was awesome. A lot different than 1 and its hard for me to compare them. 2 is more like a beat em up IMO. The enemies just come out you relentlessly, I dont think I played a game quite like Ninja Gaiden 2.

The Faceless Master said:
actually, i don't think it is, only fat jokes are iirc. but hey, i'm not a mod/admin, so don't blame me if it is!
I think it was more related to someone's general appearance... and I think what was in that post was far worse than any fat joke.

Hope it turns out to be the World War 2/planes thing he seemed to be hinting at previously. Itagaki's great at designing games where there's a ton going on at once and yet a skilled player can have incredible control over the situation if they know what they're doing; it'd be amazing to see him take that set of skills to dogfighting and full three-dimensional movement and awareness.

Rad-

I think he said that he has already done a kickass action game and a fighter and his next project won't be in those genres.

I'd like him to try FPS, just to see what he could come up with.

MrPliskin

Banned
I guess this will be the time to see if his team made Ninja Gaiden and he's just a hack, or if he's got the magic.

I've never really bought into his BS, Ninja Gaiden Black being the only entry into the series I honestly enjoyed (felt 2 was absolutely abysmal). Good luck to him.

Host Samurai said:
Come on Itagaki. Give us Ninjanetta.

Ninja Gaiden 2 was awesome. A lot different than 1 and its hard for me to compare them. 2 is more like a beat em up IMO. The enemies just come out you relentlessly, I dont think I played a game quite like Ninja Gaiden 2.
Yeah, I actually liked 2 more than 1 (I only played the Sigma variants) cos it pretty much stripped out all of the Resident Evil style key lock puzzles and backtracking and turned it into a full-on modern day scrolling beatemup like Streets of Rage.

Feindflug

Rad- said:
I think he said that he has already done a kickass action game and a fighter and his next project won't be in those genres.

I'd like him to try FPS, just to see what he could come up with.

From Tokyo Viking's last IIRC interview at 1up:

1UP: Does that mean you're coming up with a brand new title?

Katsunori Ehara: That's right. That's why we made an entirely new company.

Hiroaki Matsui: We also got Motosa, the animation lead. He worked with me to create the high quality and quantity of animations in Dead or Alive and Ninja Gaiden. This guy is young, but he's good.

Yoshifuru Okamoto: We're also working with Onishi, the cinematics lead.

HM: He was in charge of all of the cut-scenes in Ninja Gaiden. He's also always been my right-hand man. We also have Inamori, the audio lead, and the guys from the level design team.

1UP: So that's really almost all of the core staff behind Ninja Gaiden 2. You pulled together quite a roster.

HM: We also have a team of young but skilled engineers working in a new environment and putting together something completely new. We have the young programmer who realized Itagaki-san's new ideas on Ninja Gaiden DS, along with a whole team of other great programmers.

1UP: I take it that's what it would take to create a game engine from scratch in under a year.

HM: Same goes for animation, environmental art and character art. We really have the cream of the crop here, the best of the best. That's the philosophy behind our new company. That's why we have people from not just Tecmo, but from other places as well.

1UP: Really? Like who else?

HM: For starters, the superb art director who led the character design efforts for Virtua Fighter 5 is also on our team. He supervised the modeling for all the characters. We also have the guy who did the modeling for Akira, Kage, and the Lucha Libre character.

1UP: I was told a few minutes ago that a couple guys who worked on Virtua Fighter 5 joined your team. Is this new game a fighting game?

HM: [Bursts out laughing] No, no that would be impossible.

KE: Yeah, we did all what we can do for a fighting game. We have no more reasons to make another fighting game.

Tomonobu Itagaki: It'd be more fun if we made something new, right?

1UP: Given your past history, can I assume that you're developing something exclusively for Xbox 360? If so, is it because of the hardware's power, or because of its bigger-than-PS3 user base?

TI: I'm trying to be flexible in that respect, but I do feel that the Xbox 360 still has a lot of potential that I haven't been able to play with yet. I also have many good friends [at Microsoft's Xbox team] too, and being in a comfortable environment is best.

Bring it on Itagaki-san! The competition is really hard this time with the amazing Bayonetta but it will be fun to see DMC3 vs NG like debates again this gen. :D

jaypah

Ducarmel said:
I want him to make a fighting game so he can talk shit about Tekken 6.

i'd find it even funnier if his next game was a sim racer but in all of his interviews for the game he still just talks mad shit about Tekken 6. you know he's not above that.

I recently fired up Ninja Gaiden 2 and remembered Mr. Itagaki wasn't with Tecmo anymore. Glad to know he's settled his case with his former employer. I look forward to whatever he releases next.

Is he still down with 360?

wackojackosnose said:
Yeah, I actually liked 2 more than 1 (I only played the Sigma variants) cos it pretty much stripped out all of the Resident Evil style key lock puzzles and backtracking and turned it into a full-on modern day scrolling beatemup like Streets of Rage.

Pretty much. NG2 is a pure action game - no bullshit in sight. It has a ton of balance issues and needed another 6 months in development, but them's the breaks. The gameplay in NG2 is practically unrivaled and blows the original out of the water, so I can forgive its shortcomings.

NG2 weapon survivals = action game nirvana.

i hope his game is a return to the good ole days of NGB.

after the hack job team ninja did on NGS2 they have already proven themselves to be lost without his guiding hand.

Malio

Hopefully his next game is good and he can continue his deluge of shit-talk about other games and designers, unabated!

/thumbs up

MCD

iconoclast said:
Pretty much. NG2 is a pure action game - no bullshit in sight. It has a ton of balance issues and needed another 6 months in development, but them's the breaks. The gameplay in NG2 is practically unrivaled and blows the original out of the water, so I can forgive its shortcomings.

NG2 weapon survivals = action game nirvana.
this is why you are my waifu.

mikeGFG

Banned
Dude could announce tomorrow his next game was cellphone exclusive and I still trust it would be the greatest fucking cellular telecommunications software ever written.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
bjork said:
As long as he's doing something that allows him to talk mass shit, that's all I need. I don't even care if his game is good, his attitude can sell me on it either way.

I feel the exact opposite. Itagaki's constant smack talk puts a bad taste in my mouth. I enjoy Ninja Gaiden, but I find it hard to support someone so arrogant.

Top Bottom