• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Itagaki defeat TECMO & words about his next game

RockmanWhore said:
What? You prefer NG2 over Sigma 2? Really?

Personnaly after the disaster that was NG2 I'm not super hyped about what Hitagaki will do next, this game is an abomination, I don't understand how the team behind NG1 managed to make such a shitty game.

Yep. NG2 is the better game. Sigma 2 had several welcome changes, but in the end it's still Ninja Gaiden 2: Ninja Dog Edition.

iconoclast said:
Yep. NG2 is the better game. Sigma 2 had several welcome changes, but in the end it's still Ninja Gaiden 2: Ninja Dog Edition.
This does not make any sense. It's an improvement in nearly every way. More content, better graphics: a fleshed out and more refined game overall.

Downplaying it just because it was made by Itagaki's student is silly. This was a case of the student beating the master.

Feindflug

Kunai said:
From the Famitsu Thread:

Itagaki interview:
- new company is called Valhalla Game Studios (http://www.valhallagamestudios.com/)
- number of staff around 50 people
- can't say nothing yet on a first game announcement but it will be action game
- no fighting game in plans
- their game engine to include all the top technologies

Itagaki really loves Norse mythology..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valhalla

Hell yeah!!! :D

Can't wait till GDC.

HiResDes

I NEED SCISSORS said:
This does not make any sense. It's an improvement in nearly every way. More content, better graphics: a fleshed out and more refined game overall.

Downplaying it just because it was made by Itagaki's student is silly. This was a case of the student beating the master.
IMO That's not true because NG: Black is still worlds better than Sigma 2.

Canova

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:

no way.

I was massive massive hyped for Sigma 2. you can dig the old thread and see how I hyped the game to the moon. But after I got the game, and played it to MNM mode, my interest just dropped. That's not master ninja mode. All what MNM is all about was gone from Sigma2. That's what I called Sleep-Inducing Mode.

My biggest problems with Sigma2
- Reduced number of enemies
- Female characters ARE BROKEN
- Where's the EVIL RYU? We don't get to fight him in the story mode
- lack of Incendiary Shurikens, yup you heard me, lack of IS.
NG2 Ch11 MNM is the best, finest chapter EVER in any action game. No matter how many times you replay it, not one single battle will ever feel the same. It's because you only have split seconds to make a decision, and it's a live-or-die decision.

PJX

I NEED SCISSORS said:

It was a crappy remake.

It still had slow down
It still had framerate problems
It still had screen tearing
Less enemies
It was a far easier game that ti became boring instead of keeping you on your toes
Blood gone and ruined from the experience
The additional bosses were pretty crappy and easy
The added characters were useless and ruined the flow of the game.
Removed the explosive shurikens from Ryu
No charge projectiles
Could not jump while shooting the longbow

For every step forward, they took 5 step back and made the game worse IMO. It didn't improve anything.

Kunai

More:

"I won't say where we are right now," Itagaki told game mag Famitsu. "But it will be something that people have never seen before." Tomonobu Itagaki is the studio's Chief Technical Officer.

Source: Kotaku

The new studio isn't actually Itagaki's own studio. He's the "CTO." The studio was formed by former fellow Tecmo employee Satoru Kanematsu. Itagaki oversees the game development division.

Asked if it's okay to think that the new game will see formal announcement soon, Itagaki said "At this stage, I cannot say. However, I believe the game I'm making now will be a little bit like nothing anyone has ever seen."

Itagaki wouldn't even confirm the game's platform, saying that he's flexible. "There could new hardware released in the future. Also, not just consoles -- I am interested in PCs."

Source: Andria Sang

I NEED SCISSORS said:

It's just someone adding content to the game. How does that make him a master?

danmaku

All he needs to do is NG2 - polished version. No puzzes, no backtracking, no bullshit, no style (leave that to Kamiya, Itagaki doesn't even know what it means), 100% action. I'd buy it day one.

Kunai said:
More:

Source: Kotaku

gladiator-movie-russell-crowe.jpg

"I will give them something they've never seen before"

HiResDes

danmaku said:
All he needs to do is NG2 - polished version. No puzzes, no backtracking, no bullshit, no style (leave that to Kamiya, Itagaki doesn't even know what it means), 100% action. I'd buy it day one.
Actually Bayonetta's style annoys, it felt forced, and like it was being forced down my throat...And I think I prefer the cool calm collective types, though a character as sardonically badass as Ryudo in Grandia 2 would be the exception.

HiResDes said:
IMO That's not true because NG: Black is still worlds better than Sigma 2.
BloodySinner said:

I didn't say it did. I said it was a student improving on his master's work. Like Sony once said about the Xbox 360, it's like accidentally winning a point against a karate master - it doesn't make you the top dog just because of that one victory. Where they went wrong however, was that they still admitted they had been bested.

And I disagree with the crappy remake sentiments. Because of less enemies it was a closer game to NGB than it was to NG2, and a lot of people will agree with me that this is a good thing. Frankly, I don't care enough about tiny differences that only the most hardcore Master Ninjas would notice - I simply notice that the game looks and plays leagues better than its original counterpart, and that is all that matters to me.

Is it kinda weird seeing that name and letterhead associated with a Japanese game company? Seriously who would have thought and associated Norse words and a viking ship as the signal piece for a japanese studio?

Unless of course they arn't based in Japan?

SmokyDave

Itagaki said:
To All of My Fans:

I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your great help and words of encouragement which have been extended to me so far. I can't hardly wait for the day of announcing my newest work in progress to you all, but I promise you now that I will deliver to you an enjoyable game with depth that surpasses all the games I created before, and is worthy of being world-class entertainment, unless you own a PS3 in which case you're screwed.

Please continue your unwavering support for me.

-Tomonobu Itagaki"
Fixed to reflect my expectations.

Draft

Itagaki wouldn't even confirm the game's platform, saying that he's flexible. "There could new hardware released in the future. Also, not just consoles -- I am interested in PCs."
Ahhh.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.

PJX

I NEED SCISSORS said:
I didn't say it did. I said it was a student improving on his master's work. Like Sony once said about the Xbox 360, it's like accidentally winning a point against a karate master - it doesn't make you the top dog just because of that one victory. Where they went wrong however, was that they still admitted they had been bested.

Except he didn't improve on anything but the boob mechanics. Everything he changed about the game took away from the overall experience. In the end it wasn't NG2, it was more like NGS 1.5

And I disagree with the crappy remake sentiments. Because of less enemies it was a closer game to NGB than it was to NG2, and a lot of people will agree with me that this is a good thing. Frankly, I don't care enough about tiny differences that only the most hardcore Master Ninjas would notice -

Having less enemies took the experience away. I bet you are one of those that would've bagged Itagaki if he made the game exactly like NGB. You guys would be like "OMG this game is exactly like NGB, no improvement whatsoever"

I simply notice that the game looks and plays leagues better than its original counterpart, and that is all that matters to me.

:lol

No just no

Tain

Who would be surprised that Itagaki knows all about superiority?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
It's an improvement in nearly every way

AHAHAHA ...uhhh..fuck no?

his major fuck up was buffing everyone's health..it made the combat REALLY tedious.

and I didnt care for the giant bosses either.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
iconoclast said:

NGS2 may be easier, but that's something I can forgive with all the fixes and additions it provided. NG2 is by no means a better game from either a design standpoint or a polish standpoint.

MMKirby

Banned
I still don't know what to get. Ninja Gaiden Sigma or The Xbox Original? It would seem obvious to buy NGS but many have told NG > NGS. Herrrupu?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
MMKirby said:
I still don't know what to get. Ninja Gaiden Sigma or The Xbox Original? It would seem obvious to buy NGS but many have told NG > NGS. Herrrupu?

Do you mean Ninja Gaiden Black? NGB vs. NGS is a fairer comparison, as plain NG is technically weaker than both of those.

I think NGS is a little easier due to the quickslot item usage. They're mostly the same, though. Maybe base it on controller preference? NGS definitely looks nicer, added the dual katanas, and added Rachel chapters (for better or worse). You'll be playing a fantastic action game either way.

MMKirby

Banned
GuardianE said:
Do you mean Ninja Gaiden Black? NGB vs. NGS is a fairer comparison, as plain NG is technically weaker than both of those.

I think NGS is a little easier due to the quickslot item usage. They're mostly the same, though. Maybe base it on controller preference? NGS definitely looks nicer, added the dual katanas, and added Rachel chapters (for better or worse). You'll be playing a fantastic action game either way.

Man my bad... I'm a noob. I mean't Ninja Gaiden Black.

Peff

Definitely Black if you can find it. Sigma had several parts of the levels cut or streamlined and replaced with the shitty Rachel levels. It's still good enough if you can't get Black, though, or if it's much cheaper.

ultim8p00

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
I doubt it will be an action game or a fighting game, as he talked shit about Kamiya for leaving Capcom and making another action game, saying you need to be different.

No, he talked shit about Kamiya for leaving Capcom and making the same type of game. Bayonetta is the same type of game as DMC, i.e. stylish action. It's an evolution of DMC. So Itagaki could still make an action game, but it could be God of War style mixed with Ninja Gaiden combat or something.

With that said, I hope Itagaki makes an action game that evolves the Ninja Gaiden formula despite him trashing Kamiya. Like maybe a samurai game or something with an ultimate emphasis on defence, critical strikes and evasive maneuvers. All at 60fps.

EDIT: Yep, called it. I knew he'd still be making an action game, just different.

MMKirby

Banned
Peff said:
Definitely Black if you can find it. Sigma had several parts of the levels cut or streamlined and replaced with the shitty Rachel levels. It's still good enough if you can't get Black, though, or if it's much cheaper.

I saw Sigma in good condition for $9.99. I don't know how much black is in retail, but I know it's 15 bucks plus tax on xbox live.

Without going down the rating Ninja Gaiden games road too much...

Black is the definitive Ninja Gaiden 1 experience. It's nearly flawless.

Ninja Gaiden 2 is very far from perfect, but I love the pace of the combat. The basic combat, when it works, is even better than Black due to the number of enemies and the dismemberment gameplay, weapons everything. It should be Ninja Gaiden Black turned up to 11. And it is.... but it's also glitchy and broken and has slowdown and doesn't run in 720p and the boss fights aren't fun.... Where Ninja Gaiden Black is flawless, Ninja Gaiden 2 is too flawed to be given anywhere near the same levels of praise.

Which is where Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 should've came in and become the definitive Ninja Gaiden 2 experience, but it didn't. It fixed a lot, but broke some more too. In the end, the definitive Ninja Gaiden 2 experience is some sort of mix of the PS3 and 360 games, but not either. Which is a great shame and it leaves Ninja Gaiden Black standing tall on the top of it's mountain.

I can't wait to see what Itagaki does next. The maker of a good, fun fighting game goes on to make the greatest action game of all time. Where can he go from there? The sky's the limit.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Dead Man Typing said:
I can't wait to see what Itagaki does next. The maker of a good, fun fighting game goes on to make the greatest action game of all time. Where can he go from there? The sky's the limit.

I'm more looking at it from mindset of hopeful curiosity. I would like Itagaki to make something incredible. I want to see if he actually can with a segmented team... I'd like to see how much of NG's success is due to his leadership.

Similarly, I still haven't ruled out Hayashi of Tecmo for strong titles in the future. We have yet to see him create something completely on his own, and I'm looking forward to what he brings to the table.

RavenFox

Banned
Host Samurai said:
Come on Itagaki. Give us Ninjanetta.

Ninja Gaiden 2 was awesome. A lot different than 1 and its hard for me to compare them. 2 is more like a beat em up IMO. The enemies just come out you relentlessly, I dont think I played a game quite like Ninja Gaiden 2.
Man I would love some Kunoichi action.

Canova

Banned
NInjanette!?!?!?! WTF!!!!

no. just fucking no.

do you see what happened to the last female protagonist in the action game? the game bombed hard

RavenFox

Banned
BloodySinner said:
You mean how a student takes his master teachings hone his skills, add to his techniques then return to the dojo and kicks his ass? Now who is the MASTER?

PJX

GuardianE said:
NGS2 may be easier, but that's something I can forgive with all the fixes and additions it provided. NG2 is by no means a better game from either a design standpoint or a polish standpoint.

Sigma 2 wasn't polished either. There weren't no fixes because in the end it still had all the technical problems NG2 had maybe less frequently but they were still there. All the additions were useless.

NG2 is the better game.

RavenFox said:
You mean how a student takes his master teachings hone his skills, add to his techniques then return to the dojo and kicks his ass? Now who is the MASTER?

Except all the ass kicking he did was in his dreams. Maybe one day he will make a game of his own that will be better than Itagaki games. Until then he can keep wishing he made something good that he can call his own.

HiResDes

MMKirby said:
I saw Sigma in good condition for $9.99. I don't know how much black is in retail, but I know it's 15 bucks plus tax on xbox live.
get Black, I feel its the streamlined/definitive version of the game.

RavenFox said:

i think we understand the principle, but since he did not kick itagakis ass with some added content, i believe, after this logic, he is not the master, right?

Draft

NG2 and NGS2 are both sort of turds in their own special way.

Fact: Itagaki took a dump on his baby, and his next game needs to be extra special.

Fact: Hayashi still needs to release a classic to cement his status as Master Ninja.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Earl Cazone said:
i think we understand the principle, but since he did not kick itagakis ass with some added content, i believe, after this logic, he is not the master, right?

He never said he was the master. Re-read the post. He said that Itagaki was the master, and he was beaten by his student.

GuardianE said:
He never said he was the master. Re-read the post. He said that Itagaki was the master, and he was beaten by his student.

his last rethorical question implies that now the student is the master.

Top Bottom