• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Itagaki defeat TECMO & words about his next game

Feindflug

Aselith said:
He already launched his preventive strike with Ninja Gaiden. Flawless victory!

6ygod1.gif

Seriously, don't even bring up Bayonetta in a Itagaki thread. It's not going to fool anyone. I'm hoping Itagaki is this year's shoulder tap at Microsoft's E3 conference.

Prine

Banned
His departure somewhat answers Team Ninja's diminished focus on visuals (Tecmo boss being scrooge with budgets). Here's hoping for a returned emphasis on glorious looking games. If he is being backed by MS, he should have no problem with funds.

Mrbob

canova said:
Holla to Itagaki, the Lord Ninja: Give me NINJA GAIDEN 3!!!!!!!

Not gonna happen. At least, not from Itagaki. I'm sure NG3 is being made, but Hayashi will be in charge of it. I wonder if Itagaki is still going to try and make his pacific WW2 shooter. Although with the influx of shooters on the market this would be a slight disappointment. Don't really need another one.

Dresden

Ninja Gaiden is still the most fluid combat game, though. DMC, Bayonetta, God of War... as good as those games are, none of them nailed the sheer flow of NG.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Dresden said:
Ninja Gaiden is still the most fluid combat game, though. DMC, Bayonetta, God of War... as good as those games are, none of them nailed the sheer flow of NG.

Way i see it, Ninja Gaiden is about killing or be killed. All the other games, as much love as i have for them, are more about Killing in the craziest and stylish way possible.

I don't think they are the same at all.

PSGames

SoccerGoaliePro said:
I hope his new game will also be coming out on the PS3.

Going multi-platform might be more risky than going exclusive for a studio of this size. Better to get the full backing of MS and the exclusivity hype factor first. Then start working on multi-plat games once you're established.

HYDE

Banned
It would be awesome if he did a Sega published Shinobi.
It would also be awesome if he was behind Metal Gear with Kojima and did a kickass Raiden Ninja game.

Hey, a man can dream = not gonna happen.

Beezy

thetrin said:
I feel the exact opposite. Itagaki's constant smack talk puts a bad taste in my mouth. I enjoy Ninja Gaiden, but I find it hard to support someone so arrogant.
Who gives a fuck? You honestly think about if you like the developer's personality when playing a game or before you buy it?

iconoclast said:
Pretty much. NG2 is a pure action game - no bullshit in sight. It has a ton of balance issues and needed another 6 months in development, but them's the breaks. The gameplay in NG2 is practically unrivaled and blows the original out of the water, so I can forgive its shortcomings.

NG2 weapon survivals = action game nirvana.

I blame Microsoft for that. Because they published NG2. Also seeing as the game was being rushed for the sake of countering the Metal Gear Solid 4 launch. Both games were released in the same month.

Canova

Banned
Mrbob said:
Not gonna happen. At least, not from Itagaki. I'm sure NG3 is being made, but Hayashi will be in charge of it. I wonder if Itagaki is still going to try and make his pacific WW2 shooter. Although with the influx of shooters on the market this would be a slight disappointment. Don't really need another one.

I'm afraid Hayashi is not up to the task. Hayashi version of NGs suck! both Sigmas are inferior to Itagaki's versions.

NG1/2 are still the most fluid, most intense, best combat system, best enemies, best action games out there.

I doubt it will be an action game or a fighting game, as he talked shit about Kamiya for leaving Capcom and making another action game, saying you need to be different.

canova said:
I'm afraid Hayashi is not up to the task. Hayashi version of NGs suck! both Sigmas are inferior to Itagaki's versions.

NG1/2 are still the most fluid, most intense, best combat system, best enemies, best action games out there.
Whatever uncharted waters he brings with his next release, hopefully it will be as good as NGBlack for it's respective genre. . . probably with a big dollop of boobs no doubt.

Angelus Errare said:
People are expecting NG3? A Tecmo IP from the guy who quit Tecmo then sued them? :lol really people?

I wouldn't be surprised if Tecmo published it to be honest.

Look at the new game Metro 2033 - the developers left to escape THQ's power, then ended up being published by them.

Dresden

canova said:

Yup. Hayashi's main contribution to the series was sixaxis boobs.

Dresden said:
Yup. Hayashi's main contribution to the series was sixaxis boobs.

That's the problem. Hayashi is turning the franchise into some pussified, otaku loving bullshit. Both Ninja Gaiden's were badass, bloody action games that set the bar up high for the genre, being compared with the best of the best.

Then you take out the blood, add new playable characters that are only female, and add some tit jiggling physics? C'mon man, what the fuck.He's got some neat ideas, the co-op was a great touch but he's messing up the core of the Ninja Gaiden franchise. Next thing you know, Ninja Gaiden 3 is going to have a free 3D breast mousepad with every purchase and you can use Natal to look up Ayane's skirt.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It seems that it's definitely not a fighting game and is being built upon an entirely new engine.

Kotaku said:
Before the brouhaha at Tecmo, game designer Tomonobu Itagaki made a name for himself making fighting games. He's currently working on another title, which he hinted at last year.

Does that mean we'll see another fighting game from him? "Because I made the best fighting game in the world, Dead or Alive, at my former employer," Itagaki told Japanese game magazine Famitsu, "it's futile to do battle with my own daughter." Like most creators who view their work as their children, Itagaki clearly views the series as his daughter, and it sounds like he is apparently ready to move on.

"Fighting games today are at an impasse," Itagaki added. According to him, the fighting game, DOA withstanding, generation ended a long time ago.

Itagaki also revealed that his new title is being developed on new game engine that has been built by assembling world class tech.
Source: http://kotaku.com/5484439/former-dead-or-alive-designer-talks-fighting-games

I wonder if he's actually doing a lot of the engine work, since I don't think his new studio has many people and his main non-design profession is as a graphics programmer.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Does that mean we'll see another fighting game from him? "Because I made the best fighting game in the world, Dead or Alive, at my former employer," Itagaki told Japanese game magazine Famitsu, "it's futile to do battle with my own daughter." Like most creators who view their work as their children, Itagaki clearly views the series as his daughter, and it sounds like he is apparently ready to move on.

Wow. A 5-year-old could get a job writing for Kotaku.

canova said:

What? You prefer NG2 over Sigma 2? Really?

Personnaly after the disaster that was NG2 I'm not super hyped about what Hitagaki will do next, this game is an abomination, I don't understand how the team behind NG1 managed to make such a shitty game.

bjork

thetrin said:
I feel the exact opposite. Itagaki's constant smack talk puts a bad taste in my mouth. I enjoy Ninja Gaiden, but I find it hard to support someone so arrogant.

He just says the stuff everyone else wants to say, but is too nice to say.

PJX

SecretBonusPoint said:
This is incorrect. GodHand is the best brawler. Bayonetta is the best "stylish combat" game.

Maybe in crappy reverse universe its the best brawler. On normal earth it's a crappy horrible piece of crap that needs to die.

PJX

BloodySinner said:
I blame Microsoft for that. Because they published NG2. Also seeing as the game was being rushed for the sake of countering the Metal Gear Solid 4 launch. Both games were released in the same month.

How is it MS fault? He was being pushed out of Tecmo so he had to rush the game. The only people to blame here are the ones who didn't want to pay him his money which is president of Tecmo at the time. MS had NOTHING to do with it.

At least get your facts straight.

Top Bottom