• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Itagaki has formed a new studio and says he'd be "honoured" to re-partner with Xbox

Enjay

Banned
Sorry, but both Itagaki, and David Jaffe won't succeed in today's WOKE world...
Either of them making a politically incorrect game today would be worrying for me because they would fail so hard that publishers and developers would probably triple down on the wokeness.

Yeah this is his Yu Suzuki/Shenmue 3 move (retirement con).

He literally just announced his new studio with this interview, Itagaki Games, and is already trying to sell it. Even the name of this supposed studio makes it sound like it was just slapped together. The whole thing reads like an episode of silicon valley.

"I JUST formed this new studio and would find it most honourable if you purchased it."

He at least used to deliver back then. I'm not sure he can anymore. When you see somebody bending down and asking for that aquisition dick publicly, it seems more like a retirement plan than trying to make a good game.
I see it more as he wants a finical security blanket with a company that will give him creative freedom because of his bad experience with Valhalla games studio. This way he can focus on making games and not worry about if company funding the game will go bankrupt halfway through making it.

Paulxo87

I remember reading a magazine where they asked him to list his Top 5 worst games ever made, and his response was

Tekken 1
Tekken 2
Tekken 3
Tekken 4
Tekken 5

Soon after that he was accused of sexual harassment and let go...

Lmfao.

If he doesn't get some kind of support from or partnership with MS, then he may as well just retire. Devil's Third was embarrassing lol

I remember reading a magazine where they asked him to list his Top 5 worst games ever made, and his response was

Tekken 1
Tekken 2
Tekken 3
Tekken 4
Tekken 5

It was actually because tecmo didnt want to pay him a bonus they owed him I think.

Barakov

Gold Member
I'd love to see it happen. An action game on the level of Ninja Gaiden Black and NG2 would be a hell of a reason to pick up a Xbox. And let's be honest, Microsoft needs games pretty badly right now.

Mista

Banned
I’m just glad this is happening. After Devil’s Third people might think that he’s done

I still think he and his team can come out with something awesome

cireza

Itagaki still has it. He would make great games if he had budget, time and a good team. He probably needs someone to restrain him a bit as well.

Self

Sorry, but both Itagaki, and David Jaffe won't succeed in today's WOKE world...

True, but I don't think these two individuals would succeed in a non-woke world either. They haven't created something worthwhile in decades.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
I'm sorry but this guy proved he's just mediocre without the right team, all of the devs that worked on NG and DOA are either still at Tecmo or with other companies, this guy alone is way past his prime. People expecting NG quality games from him are going to be sorely disappinted (Again)
Every game director is- at best- mediocre without being paired with the right team. That's like saying a race car driver- simply by being great at driving- could be driving a ROLLS ROYCE and still be expected to out race a Ferrari.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Don't see the problem. It may get Microsoft, Nintendo or Sony sniff around to fund a timed exclusive. Saying you will only work with one would result in no wooing and cash by one of the big 3.
If a company throws 7. 5 billion at you like Microsoft did at Bethesda i dont really think Todd Howard cares about the other platforms really.
Not the exact same as this lunatic, but it was just to put things into perspective.

Paulxo87

Tekken 1
Tekken 2
Tekken 3
Tekken 4
Tekken 5

lmao. he's the type of dude that if you even offend him in the slightest way his response is to burn the entire house down.

Based on what is known of Itagaki, MS should steer clear. Who are you bidding against?

The downside potential is far greater than the upside. The 1st party is bloated enough as-is without having a person with a dubious personal history at the helm of one of your teams.

Last edited:

Drew1440

Not sure, his best years were with the original Xbox with Ninja Gaiden Black and Dead or Alive 3, the 360 era was the start of his downfall. I never played Devil's Third but I heard the reception to it was very mixed, likely due to its rockey development and possible changes that had to be made for Nintendo.

Elios83

I seriously doubt that sensible business decisions would be discussed like that...grammar errors included :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Not to mention that in Itagaki's case he has nothing positive going for him after he left Tecmo 15 years ago. The best thing he would get would be a publishing deal and even that is dubious.

Bridges

Microsoft should be doing more to solidify relations with those that actively WANT to work with Xbox or historically have prioritized the platform. Especially if they're Japanese since a lot of those devs avoid Xbox or release sparingly.

Itagaki and Swery should've been approached already for exclusives. As glad as I am that Xbox finally has stuff like Persona and Yakuza and Danganronpa It's just not enough to get ports of the same games everyone else already has 5+ years later.

Alan Wake

Not sure, his best years were with the original Xbox with Ninja Gaiden Black and Dead or Alive 3, the 360 era was the start of his downfall. I never played Devil's Third but I heard the reception to it was very mixed, likely due to its rockey development and possible changes that had to be made for Nintendo.

Devil's Third felt like bad PS2 game. It sold... what, like a few thousand units? I don't see any potential in a partnership with Itakagi anymore. Sadly.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
The fact Itagaki hasn't been backed or picked up by MS yet is honestly fucking appalling considering his dedication and loyalty to the brand since the original Xbox. I guarantee he'll put out a game on the platform that's better than Redfall.

Man how the mighty have fallen,this former talented game director went be respected guy in the industry to a full time scammer,what happened to Valhalla studios Itagaki? This isnt 2001 bro,retired or go back to Tecmo and ask for ur job back....Bed

Cyberpunkd

I would implore everyone to remember Devil’s Third. Not sure why anyone would want to partner with this guy now.
Pray Season 9 GIF by The Big Bang Theory

RavageX

Either of them making a politically incorrect game today would be worrying for me because they would fail so hard that publishers and developers would probably triple down on the wokeness.
Or it could be exactly what is needed. I am tired of all this catering. I want games made without fear. Make a good game with good gameplay and story, if there is adulthemed stuff in it theres only so much that can be said if it fits the world.

Look at saints row, started in the right direction originally, and ended up trash by trying to "keep up with the times" instead of being true to the series and it failed.

A lot of these games that focus on trying to fit and promote today's fads and politics fail. They worry so much about that instead of making a good game thats fun to play, with interesting characters, a good story and an immersive world.

Last edited:
Highly doubt a reputable studio rep will use Facebook Messenger to contact a developer. Then screenshot the convo and post it online. This looks and reads like a 15 year old wrote it.

Top Bottom