• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Itagaki leaves Tecmo, sues Tecmo president

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
duckroll said:
Not a bad game sure, but everyone laments it as a weak port. Way weaker than Sigma even. It has -nothing new- in terms of content. :)

Preposterous Ryuhei Kitamura cutscenes :eek:

navi001 said:

Wow

tecmo_ten_percent.jpg

Somewhere, Itagaki is laughing hard :lol

bill0527

The Wall Street Journal had an article about Itagaki today. Its not up on their website yet, but it has some interesting info.

He hasn't left the company yet, officially. He's resignation doesn't go into effect until July 1st. He filed the lawsuit last May, so this has been something that's brewing for a while and not a situation where he just came into the office one day and blew up that he was quitting and filing a lawsuit.

He said that he "wanted to show that Japan can still produce stunning software" and hopes the new game will remind the world about the talent of Japanese developers at a time when the industry is being increasingly dominated by U.S. companies and developers.

He also said the most difficult mode of Ninja Gaiden II is so hard that even he hasn't been able to complete it, although other members of Team Ninja have.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
bill0527 said:
The Wall Street Journal had an article about Itagaki today. Its not up on their website yet, but it has some interesting info.

He hasn't left the company yet, officially. He's resignation doesn't go into effect until July 1st. He filed the lawsuit last May, so this has been something that's brewing for a while and not a situation where he just came into the office one day and blew up that he was quitting and filing a lawsuit.

He said that he "wanted to show that Japan can still produce stunning software" and hopes the new game will remind the world about the talent of Japanese developers at a time when the industry is being increasingly dominated by U.S. companies and developers.

He also said the most difficult mode of Ninja Gaiden II is so hard that even he hasn't been able to complete it, although other members of Team Ninja have.

Damn. That shit is scary. LOL @ the stock.

Oh god, so beating Master Ninja will make me better than Itagaki? I gotta take my chance while he's distracted dancing with Tecmo. Damn you gamecrazy!

Spider_Jerusalem said:
Wow

tecmo_ten_percent.jpg

Somewhere, Itagaki is laughing hard :lol

At first I was like - DAMM! and then i read the fine print and saw that the stock dropped from 1100 yen to just below 1000. A 10% drop isn't really thaaaaaat big of a deal IMO, or at least in the way that this chart visually represents. Keep in mind that the charts spread starts at 900 yen and ends at 1180.

It'd look far less dramatic if the chart spreaded from zero to 1180.

a.wd

ShinAmano said:
Would have gone with the first anyway, but other then theatrics the slam in the second was nothing special.

I was going for Giant slam, should have made it clearer....either way, damn, what a beating.

Also :lol at the stock drop, and people were like "oh team ninja will carry on"

sometimes companies need these people at the helm, imagine Apple without Jobs.

Ariexv

HolyStar said:
Eh, he will find a job soon. Guess there will be no Ninja Gaiden III
Watch he'll just make a game called Ninja III and its trailer will say THE TRUE SEQUEL TO NINJA GAIDEN II

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Here is the WSJ article:

Though the previous game focused on the stoic character of ninjas, Mr. Itagaki, who is known for being a meticulous, hands-on developer, said Ninja Gaiden II is designed to be more universally appealing to players world-wide. "I only included things that everybody likes, like violence, flowers, children, women, friendship and death," he said.

He deliberately included easier playing modes to attract new users, but fans of his famously challenging games won't be disappointed. Mr. Itagaki said the most difficult mode is so hard that even he hasn't been able to complete it, though others on his team can.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121260871531046059.html

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
HolyStar said:
Eh, he will find a job soon. Guess there will be no Ninja Gaiden III

Of course there will be, its a Tecmo property and he didn't make the game by himself nor does he own the IP's, hell hes not even the director (Im not downgrading his role, but theres more to a game than just one person)

There will be new Dead or Alive's and there will be new Ninja Gaiden's, probably with no console exclusivity either, that makes sense to me.

duckroll

juicyfruitas said:
At first I was like - DAMM! and then i read the fine print and saw that the stock dropped from 1100 yen to just below 1000. A 10% drop isn't really thaaaaaat big of a deal IMO, or at least in the way that this chart visually represents. Keep in mind that the charts spread starts at 900 yen and ends at 1180.

It'd look far less dramatic if the chart spreaded from zero to 1180.

Not that big of a deal? That's a 2 dollar drop. If you have 100 shares, you just lost 200 bucks.

harSon

Banned
juicyfruitas said:
105 yen = $1

112 yen drop = $1.06 loss. chump change IMO.

There stock isn't worth that much to begin with :p I'm willing to bet the amount of cash that all of their stock owners (combined) was more then they had to pay Itagaki.

duckroll

juicyfruitas said:
105 yen = $1

112 yen drop = $1.06 loss. chump change IMO.

$1.06 loss *per share*. It's bad news when a stable share of high value takes a drop, if it recovers it doesn't matter, but it could get even worse. It's just a start of shareholders showing a lack of confidence on the company.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Kunai said:
Are you sure?

huh, weird, I thought I read he said he was the producer. Thats the way I understood it from

Dead or Alive 4, Tecmo Co., Ltd. had agreed to pay a completion bonus to me for this Xbox 360 title, which I produced

I just assumed he kept his role as producer going since.

Either way, big loss? Sure, but the games will go on.

ghibli99

duckroll said:
$1.06 loss *per share*. It's bad news when a stable share of high value takes a drop, if it recovers it doesn't matter, but it could get even worse. It's just a start of shareholders showing a lack of confidence on the company.
Yeah, it'd be one thing if the share were trading at like $200/share, but it's only about $10/share, so as stated, percentage-wise, roughly 10% is a pretty significant drop (especially when the stock looks like it's been pretty stable +/- 10 JPY or so for the past week). Personally, I would've dumped the stock upon hearing this news too.

Top Bottom