• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Itagaki leaves Tecmo, sues Tecmo president

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
AkuMifune said:
So basically: Itagaki is self-centered, not the cause of Gaiden's success, and Team Ninja rolls on.

I'm down with that.

I fail to see how Itagaki could be solely responsible for Gaiden's success when there are countless hardworking developers still left in the company.

duckroll

thetrin said:
I fail to see how Itagaki could be solely responsible for Gaiden's success when there are countless hardworking developers still left in the company.

The same can be said of movies. How is it that Terminator 3 sucks so much when there were still so many hardworking actors and digital effects creators involved in the project? Directors and creative leads are fundamental to a project, while hardworking technical grunts can be more easily replaced. There's no question that Itagaki is a huge part of Ninja Gaiden's success, even though he's not the SOLE person responsible. Arnold is just as responsible for making Terminator iconic as Cameron, but that still couldn't save T3.

Vast Inspiration said:
You don't want personal attacks? You come into a thread for a developer you obviously dislike (obviously because his games aren't on your precious system), you insult him, you make completely asinine remarks as to his importance for the company, and now you're even making cracks about how he doesn't get paid.

There is a REASON why the game is called "Dead or Alive". It's because Tecmo would bellied up if it wasn't for Itagaki and his franchise, which whiny little bitches like you loved until it went exclusively to Microsoft's playground. You slobber over his games, and you have the audacity to be a berade the guy.

So, try to tone down the literary-vomit. No one wants to read more of your crap.

No one wants to read my "literary vomit" but everybody's laughing their heads off to Draft's asinine comments about people's girlfriends and his ass-cheeks. Drop the double standard and put me on ignore if what I say bugs you so much. This isn't an Itagaki-worship thread no matter how much you and Draft might want it to be.

I don't like Itagaki because he's a loudmouth with a bad attitude and an ego far exceeding his talent. The fact that he bashes companies, competing franchises and even his own colleagues' efforts in his interviews and you guys get your panties in a bunch about me enjoying karma catching up with him is hilarious. If the guy knew the bunch of you thought he needed defending from random posters like me he'd be downright embarrassed.

As I said in my first post, I don't condone what Tecmo is doing if it is in fact as one-sided as the man claims, but frankly he's too big a BS artist for me to believe it. None of you even know the details here. Were you all this quick to condemn him when that girl filed charges against him or were you too busy high fiving each other over how pimp he was? The guy should be thankful Tecmo made his criminal behavior go away the last time and quit while he's ahead.

I don't care what DoA1 did for Tecmo. The game only just became competitive in DoA4 and in no way changes what a dick Itagaki has been for years now.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
duckroll said:
The same can be said of movies. How is it that Terminator 3 sucks so much when there were still so many hardworking actors and digital effects creators involved in the project? Directors and creative leads are fundamental to a project, while hardworking technical grunts can be more easily replaced. There's no question that Itagaki is a huge part of Ninja Gaiden's success, even though he's not the SOLE person responsible. Arnold is just as responsible for making Terminator iconic as Cameron, but that still couldn't save T3.

There is no doubt. I was taking issue more with the fact that Itagaki filed the lawsuit personally, rather than as a part of Team Ninja.

Apocryphon

duckroll said:

This.

He has been the guy responsible for overseeing all aspects of the art and technical design elements, making sure schedules, budget and milestones are all hit (which is where this completion bonus will come in), overseeing the QA etc...

His role is a crucial one. It's dominant in games development and the person in that job is the greatest influence on the end product. Ninja Gaiden and DoA are the games they are because of his vision... if you will.

It's why Metal Gear wouldn't be Metal Gear without Kojima.

DrXym

thetrin said:

I think he must have been a major influence. But if he is the same in real life as he comes across in interviews, he is ungracious, self centered, opinionated, arrogant and generally a bit of a dick. The way he slagged off Sigma (which garnered higher scores than NGII) was extremely self-centred and bizarre.

Maybe he is a good game designer, but would you necessarily want to work with such a person? Would you even hire such a person if you knew his abrasive style would rub your other employees up the wrong way? Maybe he was highly revered by Team Ninja, or maybe they're currently throwing a party in his absence. It will certainly make good viewing to see how this plays out, especially if it goes to court.

duckroll

thetrin said:
There is no doubt. I was taking issue more with the fact that Itagaki filed the lawsuit personally, rather than as a part of Team Ninja.

How can he file it as part of Team Ninja if he resigned? It's a little early to say what's really going on anyway. Too much HE SAID THIS, HE SAID THAT, going on imo.

thetrin

duckroll said:
How can he file it as part of Team Ninja if he resigned? It's a little early to say what's really going on anyway. Too much HE SAID THIS, HE SAID THAT, going on imo.

Quite true. I'd like to know more.

it's one thing to have an opinion about Itagaki, but there are just alot of uninformed trolls in this thread..makes me fucking sick reading the shit they post.

MonkeyLicker

Art does not make 60FPS @ 1080i with real world physics on the PSf*ckin2.
After all the Miyamoto, Kojima and Jaffe love around here I find it odd that now of all times people are saying "No one person is responsible for great games."

MonkeyLicker said:
After all the Miyamoto, Kojima and Jaffe love around here I find it odd that now of all times people are saying "No one person is responsible for great games."
Well because the people saying it actually like those people, duhh.

Also, :lol for the people who are like 'well he is slagging off NG:S and it's better than his own NG2!'. So Hayashi adds like, new swords with half a moveset, and a few new enemies and areas, and suddenly it's entirely his game like Itagaki didn't mastermind anything?

Awesome revisionism there dudes.

Gokurakumaru said:
No one wants to read my "literary vomit" but everybody's laughing their heads off to Draft's asinine comments about people's girlfriends and his ass-cheeks. Drop the double standard and put me on ignore if what I say bugs you so much. This isn't an Itagaki-worship thread no matter how much you and Draft might want it to be.

I don't like Itagaki because he's a loudmouth with a bad attitude and an ego far exceeding his talent. The fact that he bashes companies, competing franchises and even his own colleagues' efforts in his interviews and you guys get your panties in a bunch about me enjoying karma catching up with him is hilarious. If the guy knew the bunch of you thought he needed defending from random posters like me he'd be downright embarrassed.

As I said in my first post, I don't condone what Tecmo is doing if it is in fact as one-sided as the man claims, but frankly he's too big a BS artist for me to believe it. None of you even know the details here. Were you all this quick to condemn him when that girl filed charges against him or were you too busy high fiving each other over how pimp he was? The guy should be thankful Tecmo made his criminal behavior go away the last time and quit while he's ahead.

I don't care what DoA1 did for Tecmo. The game only just became competitive in DoA4 and in no way changes what a dick Itagaki has been for years now.

Just a couple side-notes...

-Tecmo was part of the investigation that cleared Itagaki I believe, so I don't see where you're going with that point. Apparantly there were multiple relationships within the workplace, even though they haven't said much else besides that, I'd have to guess that she thought hers was profitable.
-What does Itagaki being a dick have to do with how he is working on games and what he does in his personal life? Better yet, wtf does it have to do with him suing Tecmo? Nothing IMO.
-Companies rip people off all of the time; EA, Vivendi, Activision, SCEA etc etc. in just recent memory. Sometimes the workers just cut their loses and quit because they can't afford the legal fee's to take on a company that big. I now for shit sure if I thought I was owed 1.4 million dollars, I would absolutely file suit myself.
-His interviews are funny... it's obvious that he has grudges with other companies, but if you don't know the specific history between him and the other devs as far as mud has being slung, then of course you'll cry foul.
-Who cares if you only just now thought DOA4 became competitive, others have been enjoying the series for years now, you're a little late to the party.
-Leaving to go pick up NG2 in about an hour or so.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
duckroll said:

This man never lies.

Dever

Banned
Firewire said:
Don't forget the Twisted Metal re-make for the PS2. He's currently working on a unknown PS3 title.

I thought Twisted Metal PS3 was confirmed. The announcement was hidden in the Ps2 port.

duckroll

Firewire said:
Don't forget the Twisted Metal re-make for the PS2. He's currently working on a unknown PS3 title.

Errr, I don't think he has anything to do with Twisted Metal or Santa Monica Studios anymore. He's on his own and he's more interested in shorter more casual games for PSN and stuff now.

x3sphere

Dever said:
I thought Twisted Metal PS3 was confirmed. The announcement was hidden in the Ps2 port.

Yep. As far as I know, Eat Sleep Play is working on a Twisted Metal PS3. Hasn't been confirmed if it will be released as a retail title or downloadable yet though.

I can't fucking stand Itagaki and any of his bullshit, but that really has no impact on the fact that he's completely right in this particular situation.

Kittonwy

Banned
duckroll said:
Errr, I don't think he has anything to do with Twisted Metal or Santa Monica Studios anymore. He's on his own and he's more interested in shorter more casual games for PSN and stuff now.

Eat Sleep Play's first game was to do the Twisted Metal port though, but yes he's not at Santa Monica anymore, they're working on something bigger than a typical small PSN title right now, I think he's not doing that casual thing anymore, Calling All Cars didn't exactly work out too well for Jaffe.

Torquill

These "famous names" don't make great games. They're value lies in their ability to get others (people and organizations) to make great games.

Or something like that...

duckroll

Kittonwy said:
Eat Sleep Play's first game was to do the Twisted Metal port though, but yes he's not at Santa Monica anymore, they're working on something bigger than a typical small PSN title right now, I think he's not doing that casual thing anymore, Calling All Cars didn't exactly work out too well for Jaffe.

Yeah I hope they drop the casual thing, because Calling All Cars didn't exactly work out for me either!

harSon said:
His studio made Twisted Metal: Head On for the Playstation 2:
http://ps2.ign.com/objects/953/953230.html

Ah, I wasn't aware of that. Cool!

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Eiji said:
http://Itagaki.jpg[img]

:lol[/QUOTE]
How the fuck is this acceptable, yet when people were calling Gabe Newell fat, there were bannings all over the shop?

Yes, the guy has a skin condition, we know. Some of you need to grow up, seriously.

duckroll

cjelly said:
How the fuck is this acceptable, yet when people were calling Gabe Newell fat, there were bannings all over the shop?

Yes, the guy has a skin condition, we know. Some of you need to grow up, seriously.

It's not acceptable. I've said it before.

pswii60

thetrin said:
Bullshit.

You think countless classic Spielberg movies would have been even a tenth of the awesomeness without him?

Actually, let's take this back to games. You think God Of War would have been so awesome without Cory and David? Would Populous, Theme Park, Dungeon Keeper, Syndicate etc even exist without Peter Molyneux? Would Metal Gear be phenomenal without Kojima?

And Itagaki is every bit as loud as any of them. He's strong, speaks his mind, and as a result will know how to run and direct a team. Without him, the magic is likely missing.

krzyspc

Banned
pswii60 said:
Bullshit.

You think countless classic Spielberg movies would have been even a tenth of the awesomeness without him?

Actually, let's take this back to games. You think God Of War would have been so awesome without Cory and David? Would Populous, Theme Park, Dungeon Keeper, Syndicate etc even exist without Peter Molyneux? Would Metal Gear be phenomenal without Kojima?

And Itagaki is every bit as loud as any of them. He's strong, speaks his mind, and as a result will know how to run and direct a team. Without him, the magic is likely missing.

Right, he also said NG2 is a proper evolution of the series, where Sigma is just a wannabe he said. We all know how NG2 turned out lol.

The guys just talks shit and doesn't deliver.

Ariexv

krzyspc said:
Right, he also said NG2 is a proper evolution of the series, where Sigma is just a wannabe he said. We all know how NG2 turned out lol.

The guys just talks shit and doesn't deliver.
Sigma is just a port of Itagaki's work slightly improved..... it IS a wannabe, any idiot can take a game that was already made and just improve it a bit.... and NG2 is exactly what he wanted it to be.....

Sage00

Once And Future Member
pswii60 said:
Bullshit.

If you look at Nintendo they still manage to retain a Miyamoto-esque level across all studios even without him directing the games, EAD Tokyo for example.

There's no reason to believe Team Ninja can't do the same. Just look at Sigma, Hayashi and the team handled that perfectly. Look at Ninja Gaiden DS which Itagaki obviously wasn't the main developer of as much as it's PR man since he was on NG2.

Ariexv

Sage00 said:
If you look at Nintendo they still manage to retain a Miyamoto-esque level across all studios even without him directing the games, EAD Tokyo for example.

There's no reason to believe Team Ninja can't do the same. Just look at Sigma, Hayashi and the team handled that perfectly.
Again Sigma was just a port of a game Itagaki had already made, it wasn't something new from the ground up.... do you think MGS would be the same w/out Kojima?

jarrod

Banned
Sage00 said:

There's no reason to believe Team Ninja can't do the same. Just look at Sigma, Hayashi and the team handled that perfectly. Look at Ninja Gaiden DS which Itagaki obviously wasn't the main developer of as much as it's PR man since he was on NG2.
Miyamoto's still pretty involved with the big EAD games... he was with TP, Galaxy and Wii Sports/Fit at least. The ones he really isn't (Wii Play, Mario Kart) have also arguably been less well received by critics.

Likewise, Itagaki was pretty involved with Gaiden DS going by interviews. He was hands off on Sigma largely, but there's obvious reasons for that.

krzyspc

Banned
Ariexv said:
Sigma is just a port of Itagaki's work slightly improved..... it IS a wannabe, any idiot can take a game that was already made and just improve it a bit.... and NG2 is exactly what he wanted it to be.....

You missed my point, it is a wannabe but he looks down on it really. He praises the game he just finished creating a the superior version, an evolution but failed to deliver and he was working on the same formula of his pervious title.

Like I said he didn't deliver, and goes to show that not any idiot can improve the title, he certainly did not.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
actually, what I would like more than anything from Itagaki would be a Berserk game. It's right up his alley.

Ariexv

krzyspc said:
You missed my point, it is a wannabe but he looks down on it really. He praises the game he just finished creating a the superior version, an evolution but failed to deliver and he was working on the same formula of his pervious title.

Like I said he didn't deliver, and goes to show that not any idiot can improve the title, he certainly did not.
Really? What are you basing that off of? Reviews? or have you actually played the game?

Top Bottom