• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Itagaki leaves Tecmo, sues Tecmo president

Draft

Gokurakumaru said:
While I find it disagreeable that Tecmo would screw staff over with regard to compensation, I can only say it's long overdue that this twat was out of a job.
He's going to open a studio, or go work for a publisher with REAL money, and he's going to make even BETTER games than his already AMAZING games, including the greatest action game of all time. And he's going to talk as much shit as ever.

Does that make you mad?

I hope it does.

Mamesj

Banned
Gokurakumaru said:
While I find it disagreeable that Tecmo would screw staff over with regard to compensation, I can only say it's long overdue that this twat was out of a job.

I also wager we're only getting half the story here. One wonders how well Itagaki actually met his KPIs if they refused to pay him a bonus. I have a feeling there was more at stake than simply rolling a product of any kind out the door on time vis-a-vie quality, sales, critical reception, et. al.

quality--
arguable (i'm not the biggest fan, though it's technically sound)

critical reception--
http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/928260.asp
mostly 9s and 8s

sales--
it has a platinum hits release

everything you said--
conjecture!

DeadTrees

Draft said:
Well now, is that a fact, or is it just implied?

Because while it obviously makes sense, especially considering the ending, remember, this is Ninja Gaiden.

1. A hit like that doesn't necessarily kill a dude in Ninja Gaiden. It may not even slow them down.

2. Ryu is at least part fiend, and therefore resistant to damage (oh god what am I typing)
He was not only coughing up blood and staggering, when we see him in the next scene (face down and lifeless) the fire's burned itself out. Since it wasn't put out by ninja firefighters, who would have presumably given Ryu a Elixir of Ass-Saving or at least buried him, the implication is that he's been dead for several hours.

If he goes to MS, I just hope they surround him with enough talent so that he continues to deliver great content to gamers. I hate it when a legend leaves a studio and begins work with mediocre/inexperienced talent that produces a product that tarnishes his otherwise stellar legacy.

krzyspc

Banned
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
If he goes to MS, I just hope they surround him with enough talent so that he continues to deliver great content to gamers. I hate it when a legend leaves a studio and begins work with mediocre/inexperienced talent that produces a product that tarnishes his otherwise stellar legacy.

The amount of BS posted is hilarious.

jarrod said:
Actually, Itagaki was head of all consumer R&D for Tecmo... basically on par with someone like Miyamoto or Okamoto. If anything, Kojima would be a comparable step down from him.

Tecmo's a smaller company than Konami though.

MrDaravon

Mejilan said:
Is THIS the reason I've gotten a few 500 - Internal Server Errors?

I've gotten some too, I assumed it was poliGAF in OT with Obama news.

Edit: Yeah, that thread is getting tons of posts a minute over there. :lol

Mamesj

Banned
HokieJoe said:
Yeah, I'm just wondering (in true black helicopter fashion) if this isn't some coordinated attack by Itagaki and MS to gain control over Tecmo or the IP's. Sort of like what's going on with MS/Yahoo, Jerry Yang, and Carl Icahn right now.

http://www.mercurynews.com/realestatenews/ci_9466255

Tecmo doesn't seem like it's worth the trouble. Their U.S. presence is all Team Ninja, who do respectable but not monumental numbers, and in Japan...Gallop Racer?

Yoboman

jarrod said:
Actually, Itagaki was head of all consumer R&D for Tecmo... basically on par with someone like Miyamoto or Okamoto. If anything, Kojima would be a comparable step down from him.
Boy you say some dumb things

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
A Ninja Gaiden-ish game starring Ninja Raiden would be pretty damn sweet. Imagine doing some of those MGS4 cutscenes with Raiden in real gameplay.

omg okay konami pick him up

Draft said:
He's going to open a studio, or go work for a publisher with REAL money, and he's going to make even BETTER games than his already AMAZING games, including the greatest action game of all time. And he's going to talk as much shit as ever.

Does that make you mad?

I hope it does.

:lol

Not at all. I'm taking immense pleasure in imagining the possibilities. I'm not an Itagaki fan at all so he can go off and do whatever he wants and hopefully Tecmo will release some DoA and Ninja Gaiden on a platform I actually own. Oh and before you suggest the games won't be the same without him I point to the fact that the ideas behind those titles were not his and Sigma demonstrates he's less than integral to making them any good. So yeah, cry more.

Mamesj said:
everything you said--
conjecture!

Of course it's conjecture. But if this guy was such an asset to the company as measured by his KPIs then they'd want to keep him happy in order to ensure he continues to work there. But here he is slagging off the CEO because they want to make money. Who would want this guy pitching ideas?

HokieJoe

Mamesj said:
Tecmo doesn't seem like it's worth the trouble. Their U.S. presence is all Team Ninja, who do respectable but not monumental numbers, and in Japan...Gallop Racer?

Perhaps, but I think MS's relationship with Tecmo/Team Ninja has been worth it. DOA and Ninja Gaiden weren't top sellers, but they broadened the Xbox line up and both games boast devoted fan bases. Without Itagaki, Tecmo has issues. Tecmo shareholders can't be pleased with his departure. What was it over- $1.4 million? Seems like a trifling amount of money to lose your star developer over. Dunno' really, just thinking out loud.

EDIT: Also, as Crapsandwich alluded to, MS could give Itagaki a lead role in Japan. He might be ballsy enough to pull MS's wretched ass out of the cellar there. Unlikely, this gen, but moving forward.

Yoboman

HK-47 said:
What was dumb about it?
1. Itagaki hadn't held that position for quite awhile
2. If you're comparing that, you might as well compare it to when Kojima was Vice President of Konami
3. I wouldn't even put head of consumer R&D at Tecmo above running Kojima Productions
4. On par with Miyamoto?:lol

Draft

Gokurakumaru said:

Not at all. I'm taking immense pleasure in imagining the possibilities. I'm not an Itagaki fan at all so he can go off and do whatever he wants and hopefully Tecmo will release some DoA and Ninja Gaiden on a platform I actually own. Oh and before you suggest the games won't be the same without him I point to the fact that the ideas behind those titles were not his and Sigma demonstrates he's less than integral to making them any good. So yeah, cry more.
It's not Itagaki's fault you are too poor for multiple systems.

Maybe you should worry less about games and more about getting a job that pays well enough to afford all of Team Ninja's classic games.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Draft said:

Maybe you should worry less about games and more about getting a job that pays well enough to afford all of Team Ninja's classic games.
Ouch, well served though.
beerbelly said:
Yet again, the loudest people in this thread are no where to be seen in Ninja Gaiden 2's official thread.
Pretty sure they will be in a hypothetical "NG2 coming to PS3 thread", but wont stick to the official thread once such game comes out, if it does.

Draft

beerbelly said:
Yet again, the loudest people in this thread are no where to be seen in Ninja Gaiden 2's official thread.
Oh, they're in it.

Reading it.

Gritting their teeth, either in anger, or secret desire.

HokieJoe

Draft said:

KA-pow!

RBH

Draft said:

itapoint.gif

Sho Nuff

Banned
Draft said:

BAM

Mamesj

Banned
HokieJoe said:
Perhaps, but I think MS's relationship with Tecmo/Team Ninja has been worth it. DOA and Ninja Gaiden weren't top sellers, but they broadened the Xbox line up and both games boast devoted fan bases. Without Itagaki, Tecmo has issues. Tecmo shareholders can't be pleased with his departure. What was it over- $1.4 million? Seems like a trifling amount of money to lose your star developer over. Dunno' really, just thinking out loud.

In one sense, hasn't Team Ninja served it's purpose for Microsoft? DoA3 was second to Halo for the longest time and is still one of the best looking games of last gen...DoA4, not so much. I could see MS snatching up Itagaki (my money is on this happening) and then "featuring" him like Sakaguchi. Then they're going to team up Itagaki and Sakaguchi in a game called Lost Odyssey Gaiden: Monsters of Disgraced Developer Rock Edition.

Of course it's conjecture. But if this guy was such an asset to the company as measured by his KPIs then they'd want to keep him happy in order to ensure he continues to work there. But here he is slagging off the CEO because they want to make money. Who would want this guy pitching ideas?

Who knows what's really going on. Kinda corny in that fanboy-ish way to assume the worst though. I don't know what KPI is, but I can tell you DoA4 must have lived up to their expectations--it has probably been the best selling Tecmo game since the last Ninja Gaiden, assuming DoA:Ultimate and XBV2 weren't major sellers.

Who would want this guy pitching ideas? Fuck... do you know anything about his status at the company? He basically is tecmo. In the time since he revived the company with the DoA series, they haven't diversified in any meaningful way. Fatal Frame is great, but Tecmo has done nothing but rely on Team Ninja releases.

Sean

Banned
Are Tecmo fucking stupid or what?

Itagaki and his team are like the sole reason Tecmo has been successful in the past decade. Without Dead or Alive and Ninja Gaiden they'd have nothing. Surely his games make much more than 1.4 million in profits, it's baffling that Tecmo boss doesn't want to pay him.

Draft said:
Oh, they're in it.

Reading it.

Gritting their teeth, either in anger, or secret desire.

Actually more like staying out of it so as not to get banned for saying something like that it is an overrated yawn fest or something along those lines...
Hypothetically speaking of course...
But of course this thread is not about that is it?

FightyF

Banned
OokieSpookie said:
Actually more like staying out of it so as not to get banned for saying something like that it is an overrated yawn fest or something along those lines...

The hypothetical being that the game is a yawnfest, of course.

Draft

OokieSpookie said:
Hypothetically speaking, the only yawn produced during a Ninja Gaiden 2 session is by your girlfriend after watching you play for 6 straight hours, and before you command her to bring you a beer and a sandwich.

Hypothetically speaking, of course. Because of course you don't have a girlfriend.

Draft said:
Hypothetically speaking, the only yawn produced during a Ninja Gaiden 2 session is by your girlfriend after watching you play for 6 straight hours, and before you command her to bring you a beer and a sandwich.

Hypothetically speaking, of course. Because of course you don't have a girlfriend.

Draft said:

Hypothetically speaking, I know you are in denial because she gave birth to you but we are in love...

godhandiscen

Draft said:

2 HIT COMBO!

I am just laughing now, nobody really has an idea of what will happen to Itagaki it seems.

OokieSpookie said:
Hypothetically speaking, I know you are in denial because she gave birth to you but we are in love...
Hypothetical:
logic:
a. (of a proposition) highly conjectural; not well supported by available evidence.
So you really don't know if he is in denial, or your gf, which may not exist didn't give birth to him. I don't get what you meant to say.

RBH

Draft said:

itapoint.gif

Mamesj

Banned
OokieSpookie said:

weak. see, they don't get banned for bad mouthing NG2, they just get shut down quickly, as you have just experienced.

Yoboman

Draft said:

21k0crd.gif

Barakov

Gold Member
Draft said:

Pure gold.

MrDaravon

Draft said:

AND IT COUNTS

godhandiscen

Crovax33 said:
Godhand stop posting in this thread and finish your bs assignments so we can play halo.
OMGWTF! Dude you so want to buy NG2 that you are reading this thread. You see, just get the game, I promise, you wont regret it.

Waikis

Draft said:

Bravo!:lol

godhandiscen said:
2 HIT COMBO!

I am just laughing now, nobody really has an idea of what will happen to Itagaki it seems.

Hypothetical:
logic:
a. (of a proposition) highly conjectural; not well supported by available evidence.
So you really don't know if he is in denial, or your gf, which may not exist didn't give birth to him. I don't get what you meant to say.

hy·po·thet·i·cal 2. of, pertaining to, involving, or characterized by hypothesis: hypothetical reasoning.

Who are you again?

Top Bottom