• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Itagaki leaves Tecmo, sues Tecmo president

Zyzyxxz said:
Hopefully the company wont be too lazy to release Ninja Gaiden 2 for PS3 in a short amount of time, I really wanna play that.

yep, i'm sure microsoft will publish it on PS3 in no time.

lupinko

WickedLaharl said:
bioshock wasn't published by microsoft genius

No, but Mass Effect was, and look what happened there. :lol

That and Microsoft doesn't own the NG IP, Tecmo still owns it regardless, just like how Epic still owns Gears of War IP.

Some good laughs in here. Good luck to the guy, as has been said I would expect him to surface again some time after this is settled with a Microsoft pay-check and his own team.

Aggelos

Jmac71 said:
NG2 Sigma confirmed?

That's what crossed my mind as well. If Hayashi is still at Team Ninja, then I guess that NG2 Sigma is a high probability for PS360...........

DrXym

If were an underling at Tecmo and Itagaki is the egomanical ass he comes across as in interviews then I'd be glad he's gone.

Whipped Spartan said:
Is there really Gaffers that don't own a 360? How can you be a hardcore gamer and not own a 360?

Personally, i'm not willing to spend anymore money on a product that has failed 3 times for me. I'm voting with my wallet. To keep spending money on a console with such poor build quality is to convince Microsoft that these practices are perfectly ok.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
squicken said:
MS responds:

"Tomonobu Itagaki has decided to leave Tecmo and Team NINJA to pursue other opportunities. We thank Tomonobu Itagaki for the many years he has supported Xbox as he has contributed immensely to the success of the videogame industry as a whole."

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/16687/Microsoft-Issues-Itagaki-Statement/

past tense?

Reading too much into it.

Probably no one knows what's gonna happen here.

MS might perhaps have a juggling act on its hands to keep both Tecmo and Itagaki happy. If they 'took in' Itagaki, particularly while he had legal action pending against Tecmo, might it sully their relationship with Tecmo? At the same time, though, they probably won't want to turn their back entirely on Itagaki.

Sharp

This news makes me really sad, especially since I'm afraid that contrary to all your speculation he may not end up designing games at all. He may simply retire permanently from the industry.

M3wThr33

Banned
Whipped Spartan said:
Is there really Gaffers that don't own a 360? How can you be a hardcore gamer and not own a 360?
Simple. You have a good PC and a PS3.

Not playing Ninja Gaiden II doesn't instantly make me any less of a gamer than you. Besides, judging by the reviews, I'm not really missing anything. It's just NGS in a new setting.

DrXym

Dupe ignore - If were an underling at Tecmo and Itagaki was a egomanical ass in real-life as he comes across as in interviews then I'd be glad he's gone.

Pein said:
I don't know if this has been said but kojima productions should hire itagaiki

His ego would never allow that to happen although it would be a fascinating partnership.

He pretty much needs to create his own company or allow someone like Microsoft to hire him and fun his projects.

Zonar said:
I'm calling it now.

Itagaki's first new game will be an Launch Title for the Next Xbox.

Tuseday, June 3 2008.

Zonar
Addendum: It will be a fighting game and have many big boobies.

Also, I think whether or not we see a fall out will depend on if Hayashi leaves... he's obviously respected in the studio, since he was the one put in charge of NGS. If he goes too, there's gonna be a massive fallout, otherwise it'll probably be just a few stray workers, I think.

Also, I'm with the SEGA peeps, they have the Shinobi IP, and they're trying to expand greatly, and Itagaki makes the kind of games you'd associate with SEGA. Plus, he used to work with them a long time ago.

Zyzyxxz said:
wow his arrogant ass finally got up and quitted.

I dunno who will hire a guy who sexually harasses female employees and publicly denounces his own company's products and fellow employees *cough* NG:Sigma*cough*.

Hopefully the company wont be too lazy to release Ninja Gaiden 2 for PS3 in a short amount of time, I really wanna play that.
:lol It's true, something always sticks with these stories. These charges were fully dismissed. It's not even that long ago.

PJX

M3wThr33 said:
Simple. You have a good PC and a PS3.

Not playing Ninja Gaiden II doesn't instantly make me any less of a gamer than you. Besides, judging by the reviews, I'm not really missing anything. It's just NGS in a new setting.

But isn't that every sequel to the original in a series.

DMC 2-4 = DMC in a new setting
Final Fantasy 2-12 = Final Fantasy in a new setting.
Mario 2-Galaxy = Mario 1 with new setting
Sonic 2 - Sonic and the Secret Rings = Sonic 1 in new settings.

And that applies to every franchise. And beforeyou come in saying, "But they added stuff to each sequel", so did Ninja Gaiden 2 also. That's a really weak argument you just gave as to why you don't want the game. I hate when people use that weak ass argument to hate on a game.

I'll let you guys in on a little secret. If Itagaki starts his own studio or go to a company that gives him his freedom, let's just say that about 70% of Team Ninja will go with him including Hayashi. For those who are saying that Hayashi won't leave, you might want to rethink that thought.

No, but Mass Effect was, and look what happened there. :lol
What happened? Game would have been released on PC even when EA hadn't acquired Bioware. ;)

lupinko said:
That and Microsoft doesn't own the NG IP, Tecmo still owns it regardless, just like how Epic still owns Gears of War IP.
So Gears, NG and ME coming to PS3 confirmed?

f@luS

More than a member.
PJX said:

And that applies to every franchise. And beforeyou come in saying, "But they added stuff to each sequel", so did Ninja Gaiden 2 also. That's a really weak argument you just gave as to why you don't want the game. I hate when people use that weak ass argument to hate on a game.
:lol are you serious? FFXII is so FFXI in new setting. sure ^^

Danj

Whipped Spartan said:

These things cost money you know. I've got a job interview tomorrow, if I get it I'll be saving up for a 360 but if not then I'll still be stuck with my PS2 and PC.

GrayFoxPL

FateBreaker said:
yep, i'm sure microsoft will publish it on PS3 in no time.

All they need is to add one new weapon, an enemy, new costume and a "Sigma" to the title to release it as new shit.

MonkeyLicker

Art does not make 60FPS @ 1080i with real world physics on the PSf*ckin2.
Phife Dawg said:
:lol It's true, something always sticks with these stories. These charges were fully dismissed. It's not even that long ago.

Doesn't matter around here. I'm surprised Team Ninja was able to get any work done with Itagaki walking around cramming his fingers up their ass. I heard he used to beat his mom in front of the team to curb any chance of disobedience.
Did you hear that he has really bad skin? Yeah, it's true. I hear Ninja Gaiden Stigma 2 might be coming to the PS3. Yeah, I would like that a lot.

KingJ2002

what the hell???

makes sense with his silence on his future projects... but no DOA 5??? well im assuming this is something like yu suzuki leaving am2 to focus on his own projects... im sure the rest of team ninja is capable of creating their own projects or carrying on... but without his vision. i dont know if they will be worth playing.

well... i digress... i cant wait to see what itagaki does with MGS in the future...

come on we all know he's gonna either go first party wih MS or create a independent studio funded my ms and make games exclusively for MS. IMO the team ninja brand grew stronger than the tecmo brand because of this guy... there's no way microsoft will pass up a chance of scooping him up.

duckroll said:
Well, personally I feel that whether Hayashi leaves or not will really have very little to do with what Itagaki said about Sigma in interviews, and more to do with what incentives Tecmo might be using to make people stay. Itagaki trash talks a lot, it's a style that people who work with him should be more than familiar with by now, it's nothing personal.

I just don't think it was fair to Hayashi's team. It seemed like it was the higher ups that wanted Sigma made and Hayashi was doing his job. So it doesn't seem exactly fair to go and attack him and his team, especially when you consider they're part of Team Ninja.

M3wThr33

Banned
PJX said:

I had something longer typed here, but it would just go over your head. The fact that you seem to equate NG->NG2 with FFX->FFXII is even dumber than the 17 year old trying to open up his own game store.

Edit:
I was curious and browsed your post history. Pretty one-sided and half of your posts center around defending Ninja Gaiden and DMC4 on the 360. You seem to really take this series to heart but still suck at it if DMC3 gives you hand cramps.

Hellraizer said:
So Gears, NG and ME coming to PS3 confirmed?

I thought it was common knowledge that Microsoft hire lawyers from internet forums and happily sign contracts for exclusive games that consist of one line of text and no contigency clauses.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I would guess he'll go to microsoft, and ninja gaiden will be milked more and probably come out with way more sequels, spin offs etc etc.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
PJX said:

:lol :lol :lol

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
GrayFoxPL said:
If Hayashi stays at TN (and he will stay after the shit he took from Itagaki) and Itagaki forms a own studio it'll be like a battle with former student and his teacher.

That's a fucking ninja game story right there. Oh the irony! :lol

I: I taught you everything you know you ungrateful monkey!

H: I've surpassed you master.

I: I've looked into your heart Hayashi. You're still my bitch. The same pitiful bitch you were when I left TN.

H: You're just a shadow of your former self master. I'm here to put you out of your misery.

I: Fool! Those few tricks you know from me wont help you. You didn't think I would share any true knowledge with someone like you?! Hayashi you really are an idiot. Now, I'll show you my real power!

H: Time to die old man. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

I: Iiiiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Sigma was shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!

Now, I hope he'll go to Sega. They're speeding up lately and Itagaki would've boost them another 40-50% back to their former glory.

I doubt they have the money to buy him. I'll really don't want him to go to MS, most likely he'll end up at Rare and we wont hear from him for 5 years :p.

Most awesome outcome: Sony PR man! :lol :lol :lol :lol
The future is so bright!

FirewalkR

Holy shit the things that happen (or get known) when one's asleep! :lol

Any news regarding his next step? I figure Microsoft would grab him and set him up as head of a 1st party studio...

Barakov

Gold Member
Shard said:
What a news story to wake up to.

Yeah. Despite being in the middle of 2008, I'm going to go out on a "limb" and say this will most likely be one of the biggest news stories this year.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Barakov said:
Yeah. Despite being in the middle of 2008, I'm going to go out on a "limb" and say this will most likely be one of the biggest news stories this year.

No doubt, no doubt.

icecream

Public Health Threat
There should still be DoA... Tecmo will continue it if they know what actually profits them.

It's just that Itagaki won't be doing it.

Phoenix Fang said:
Obviously my point flew over your thick skull and all the kids on here with who responded with the lauging gifs. But then again this GAF, where it's home to many morons and idiots.
He... wasn't even responding to you? (Unless you're PJX?)

M3wThr33 said:
I had something longer typed here, but it would just go over your head. The fact that you seem to equate NG->NG2 with FFX->FFXII is even dumber than the 17 year old trying to open up his own game store.

Edit:
I was curious and browsed your post history. Pretty one-sided and half of your posts center around defending Ninja Gaiden and DMC4 on the 360. You seem to really take this series to heart but still suck at it if DMC3 gives you hand cramps.

Obviously my point flew over your thick skull and all the kids on here with who responded with the lauging gifs. But then again this GAF, where it's home to many morons and idiots. Don't worry though, unlike the many GAF members here, I don't take things to heart, baby boy. And what's wrong with a 17 year old kid opening up his own store? At least unliek you he has ambitions to do something for himself. If he fails, at least he can say that he followed hsi dream and tried to do it unlike you who probably has no ambition in life.

icecream said:
There should still be DoA... Tecmo will continue it if they know what actually profits them.

Thus it will suck, and it will also be multiplatform. DO NOT WANT. Do not want multiplatform DOA AT ALL.

icecream said:

At this point, I question how much of an impact he has on the series. They can obviously make another one without his direction and I'm guessing it will probably turn out just as well. They've already got the blueprints laid out from past games. If you add another character or two, create a ton of costumes, create several new fighting areas, and call the game "Dead or Alive 5" it will easily sell over one million copies.

Top Bottom