• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Itagaki leaves Tecmo, sues Tecmo president

thrasher

Banned
gofreak said:
Reading too much into it.

Probably no one knows what's gonna happen here.

MS might perhaps have a juggling act on its hands to keep both Tecmo and Itagaki happy. If they 'took in' Itagaki, particularly while he had legal action pending against Tecmo, might it sully their relationship with Tecmo? At the same time, though, they probably won't want to turn their back entirely on Itagaki.

Looks like Microsoft and Itagaki are going seperate ways, atleast until the lawsuit is over

Absinthe said:
At this point, I question how much of an impact he has on the series. They can obviously make another one without his direction and I'm guessing it will probably turn out just as well. They've already got the blueprints laid out from past games. If you add another character or two, create a ton of costumes, create several new fighting areas, and call the game "Dead or Alive 5" it will easily sell over one million copies.

Except DOA is deeper than that, the changes from DOA2U to DOA4 were enormous.

Itagaki used to be crazy but this is just crazy f***ing insane. Oh well, at least it gives Tecmo a reason to pull those bonusmoneys from something* as a final **** you to Itagaki.

something being Ninja Gaiden 2 port.

Well huh...

I knew there was a good reason I stayed up this late.

'Leave or sue.' 'No honor.' Just reads like a perfect Itagaki story. If he defeats Yasuda, he will simply demand seppuku.

icecream

Public Health Threat
EverSoTrendy said:
DO NOT WANT. Do not want multiplatform DOA AT ALL.
I'm not sure if I need to ask why...

Absinthe said:
At this point, I question how much of an impact he has on the series. They can obviously make another one without his direction and I'm guessing it will probably turn out just as well. They've already got the blueprints laid out from past games. If you add another character or two, create a ton of costumes, create several new fighting areas, and call the game "Dead or Alive 5" it will easily sell over one million copies.
They should go the SC4 path.

Absinthe said:
That's what happens when you fritter away money, talent, and overall resources on a shitty volleyball game.
Different internal teams.

PetriP-TNT said:
Itagaki used to be crazy but this is just insane. Oh well, at least it gives Tecmo a reason to pull those bonusmoneys from something

Keep dreaming, MS game studios backed NG2 it will never go Multiplatform. I'd bet my account on it.

EverSoTrendy said:
Except DOA is deeper than that, the changes from DOA2U to DOA4 were enormous.

And the jump from Dead or Alive 3 and Dead or Alive 4 was miniscule. That's what happens when you fritter away money, talent, and overall resources on a shitty volleyball game.

This guy isn't Kojima and Tecmo can easily do without his direction.

M3wThr33

Banned
Phoenix Fang said:
Obviously my point flew over your thick skull and all the kids on here with who responded with the lauging gifs. But then again this GAF, where it's home to many morons and idiots.
Uhh what?

Anyways, I don't doubt that he'll single-handedly dissolve Team Ninja wherever he goes.

While I figure he's over-reaching with this lawsuit, it sounds like Tecmo does share a good chunk of the blame and may have had a GOOD deal of influence on his freedom over the last few years.

Leaving is one thing, but suing is another. It's quite possible he was forced to remake the games against his will or not to deviate too far at risk of losing the audience or something.

It'll be interesting to see what he'll churn out when he doesn't have the same two old IPs to fall back on.

icecream said:
There should still be DoA... Tecmo will continue it if they know what actually profits them.

It's just that Itagaki won't be doing it.

He... wasn't even responding to you? (Unless you're PJX?)

We work in the same studio and I was using his computer and didn't reaise he was signed on with his account. Was too late for me to change over by the time I posted it.

Absinthe said:
And the jump from Dead or Alive 3 and Dead or Alive 4 was miniscule. That's what happens when you fritter away money, talent, and overall resources on a shitty volleyball game.

I know Kojima doesn't have half his talent.

Aggelos

BeeDog said:
Itagaki should become a game reviewer.

I can only imagine his reviews on Tekken games.........:lol

Perhaps he can go to AM2 to work on a future VF game, or he can go to Kojima Pro to work on a game that would have as protagonist Raiden......

Barakov

Gold Member
dabig2 said:
I just projectile-vomited all over my screen, bastard.

Should've just said:

47v2lvn.gif

eve241

He should go work as a game designer for a content-driven company. His game's gameplay is ace, everything else though...

Absinthe said:

:lol Kojima is an overrated hack who make boring ass games for sheeps to praise. Sorry but I like to play my games instead of watching boring ass B-rated cutscenes.

RpgN

PetriP-TNT said:

Reading Itagaki's comments and Microsoft's support, don't bet on it. There is a small chance for DOA4 though if tecmo is really desperate.

duckroll

Phoenix Fang said:
We work in the same studio and I was using his computer and didn't reaise he was signed on with his account. Was too late for me to change over by the time I posted it.

You were posting on your own computer, and then you were using his computer and didn't realize he was signed on? What?

Endow said:
He should go work as a game designer for a content-driven company. His game's gameplay is ace, everything else though...

That would be the wisest thing to do, but like I said earlier, his ego won't allow that to happen.

Phoenix Fang said:
:lol Kojima is an overrated hack who make boring ass games for sheeps to praise. Sorry but I like to play my games instead of watching boring ass B-rated cutscenes.

Quickest ban ever?

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Phoenix Fang said:

Wow that was quick

Phoenix Fang
Banned
(Today, 10:28 AM)
Reply | Quote

bigswords

Phoenix Fang said:

Whoa... and your avatar's story top notched?

Edit: Ah justice.

Red Scarlet

I zapped the guy for being a douche on the last page and possible account sharing, he must have been doing his last post at the same time I was zapping him. He may have been lucky I got him and not someone else.

I have no doubt that he already has meetings set with Microsoft.
It would damage tecmo's ties to MS if the showed ties to Itagaki right now and drive them to perhaps lean Sony's way.
Have no faerietales in your heads though, MS is already having visions of sugar plums and will lock him in.

this is some crazy shit. Hope he gets his money, because that isn't right, especially since it was Itagaki that saved Tecmo with DOA.

BeeDog

OokieSpookie said:
It would damage tecmo's ties to MS if the showed ties to Itagaki right now and drive them to perhaps lean Sony's way.
Have no faerietales in your heads though, MS is already having visions of sugar plums and will lock him in.

It depends on how well NG2 sells, I'd guess.

OokieSpookie said:
I dont think Tecmo will refuse MS moneyhats just because Itagaki works for them. But if Itagaki gets some high position...

Yoboman

Gold Member
DC R1D3R said:
Itagaki needs to join up with SEGA. ASAP!
I don't get this suggestion. Wouldn't that be a conflict of interests? Sega has their fighting franchise in VF and they're looking to establish their action franchise with Kamiya's Bayonetta. Where would Itagaki fit in?

OokieSpookie said:

This is a fucked up scenario, but certainly possible:

Itagaki has, by far, been the biggest reason Tecmo has shown preference to Microsoft. That's why they've landed a handful of exclusives in the past. You bring up a good point in the sense that Tecmo is a Japanese company and they'd be more inclined to support Sony, especially if Microsoft picks up Itagaki. We could see a huge reversal. I wouldn't be surprised if Dead or Alive and Ninja Gaiden ended up being PS3 exclusives.

thrasher

Banned
Excerpt from a recent interview
http://games.kikizo.com/features/itagaki_iv_jun08_p2.asp

Kikizo: You say this is your last Ninja Gaiden game, but do you think there will be any updates to the game like with Black or Sigma, and would someone else at Team Ninja possibly continue the series without you?

Itagaki: No, I won't be doing a Sigma or any other kind of edition, in fact Sigma as you may know I wasn't involved with, it was another person at Tecmo that worked on that, and looking at that, I say it felt like they took what I made four years ago and just kind of added toppings on.........

Whats stopping Tecmo from doing the same thing again

DC R1D3R

Banned
Yoboman said:
I don't get this suggestion. Wouldn't that be a conflict of interests? Sega has their fighting franchise in VF and they're looking to establish their action franchise with Kamiya's Bayonetta. Where would Itagaki fit in?

HEHE

I guess that was just a rush of blood Yobo :]

Come to think of it, MS should probably just tie him down to some exclusive deal of some sort. Better?

thrasher said:
Whats stopping Tecmo from doing the same thing again
Contracts? Maybe NGSII will get released on PS4 though ;)

I wouldn't be surprised if Dead or Alive and Ninja Gaiden ended up being PS3 exclusives.
If we look at other Japanese devs and publishers: doubt it. They could go multiplatfrom at best.

Absinthe said:
We could see a huge reversal. I wouldn't be surprised if Dead or Alive and Ninja Gaiden ended up being PS3 exclusives.

That wouldn't be the only reversal on the series I'll bet.

Tecmo want to make money, they'll go multiplatform.

GrayFoxPL

EverSoTrendy said:
Thus it will suck, and it will also be multiplatform. DO NOT WANT. Do not want multiplatform DOA AT ALL.

Eh? DOA 1 and DOA2 were both multiplatform.

The series traveled through Saturn, Playstation, Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox and finally 360.

Not counting the arcades ofcourse.

Francias Castiglione said:
That wouldn't be the only reversal on the series I'll bet.

Tecmo want to make money, they'll go multiplatform.

I think you're grossly underestimating Japanese loyalty. Look at what Konami is doing with Metal Gear 4. If Itagaki is given a position with Microsoft then I guarantee you they will respond with making certain titles exclusive. The would view it as betraying.

Top Bottom