• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Itagaki leaves Tecmo, sues Tecmo president

Mega
Ton

This man was Tecmo's only hope, really. I wonder what they'll do now - he's the one behind all their blockbuster releases, pretty much.

Laurent

TheKingsCrown said:
Wow. This is very strange for the Japanese, no?
Yes

And this doesn't mean this is the last Ninja Gaiden or Dead or Alive, it just means that the next ones will sucks hard...

Team Ninja is independant or a part of Tecmo?

GrayFoxPL

proposition said:
Imagine what they could achieve together!

Fatal wounds?

Funny how no one bets on Sony.

Wouldn't it be the megaton of megatons if they actually offered him the best deal and he'd bite it? :D

FightyF

Banned
GrayFoxPL said:
Funny how no one bets on Nintendo.

Wouldn't it be the megaton of megatons if they actually offered him the best deal and he'd bite it? :D

Fixed for potential awesomeness and forum breakdown.

Oneself

:lol

Itagaki will work for or form another company and will create a Ninja Gaiden clone as well as a Dead or Alive clone. Both releases will be tagged with "from the creator of Ninja Gaiden and DOA" on the box or something like that.

wowfactor said:
Is this a public stunt?

The coincidence is kinda fishy to me.

That's right. Itagaki left Tecmo and sued his former employer for the sake of publicity. You've seen through his veil of deceit.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
Should be interesting - and just remember just because Itagaki alleged the way this went down doesn't mean it went down that way - See Dyack v. Epic ;)

I love Itagaki, I know he'll land on his feet somewhere and make some amazing games. He does a good job delivering the games unlike some developers

wowfactor

Banned
Pureauthor said:
That's right. Itagaki left Tecmo and sued his former employer for the sake of publicity. You've seen through his veil of deceit.

You know he thought it was a right time to move on so why not using this occasion.

tha_con

Banned
Pretty crazy stuff. I'm pretty certain he'll get hired to work with MS in some way / shape / form.

Still, 1 man does not make up a whole team, and it will take more than just him to make a great game. I wonder if people will be open to work with him, given some of his recent comments in regards to some of his own people?

DrXym

If you were another studio, would you actually want to hire a prima donna who has just had a public bustup with their previous employer?

sajj316

Itagaki is sueing for a no payment of a completion bonus for DOA4. If I remember he was sued for sexual harassment in 2006. DOA4 was completed in 2005. He could have technically lost his bonus for misconduct but given the timeline he should have recieved his bonus for the completion of DOA4. Again, who knows exactly when the 'supposed' harassment took place and whether the company knew about it before the completion of DOA4. This is just my theory on why TECMO didn't pay him his completion bonus.

There are obviously other issues like his comments toward his coworkers about SIGMA as well as a potential disconnect in his vision versus the vision of TECMO. He wanted to work on Xbox platform and TECMO probably wanted to go multiplatform for monitary reasons (can't blame them).

The strange thing is that he accused the president of TECMO of distress caused by his comments toward him. Could we say the same thing about potential distress caused by his comments toward his own coworkers.

His resignation statement was beyond cryptic and I bet we'll get the whole story soon ....

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
he should totally join:
Konamicopy.jpg

and Produce 3D Castlevanias

sajj316

PowerSmell said:
Is it me, or did Itagaki just plug his own game?

Why would he mention the release date? :lol

Cause he is still a business man ... plug in the date, sell the game, swim in royalties

shuri

Banned
Does he speaks english? I guess that rules out getting a job for a north american dev. I can't imagine working all the time with a translator.

FFChris

DrXym said:
If you were another studio, would you actually want to hire a prima donna who has just had a public bustup with their previous employer?

That's the main reason why I don't think he'll go to Microsoft.

Geoff9920

DrXym said:
Well, the prima donna does come with his own loyal fanbase and knows what it takes to make a good action game. I don't think he'll have that much trouble finding someone who'll let him do his thing.

sajj316

PowerSmell said:
Are you sure he get's royalties for the games he produces?

Nope, as with his resignation, I'm only guessing. I would think he's gotten certain monitary deals tied with the sales of the game ... but I could be wrong and maybe that's why he's pissed :D

itxaka

Defeatist
I really have seen everything now.

People laughing at Itagaki face and making jokes about it = Cool

People bashing Itagaki = Cool

People calling Itagaki a drama queen and not reading the OP = Cool

One guy calling Kojima overrated = Banned

Nice one GAF. You always surprise me.

And I hope Itagaki wins if it´s true and goes to a new company/makes a new one so we can get his nice games.

And Kojima is overrated.

Egg Shen

chocomarker1 said:
itagaki and yu suzuki making shenmue 3 would be kick-ass.
On one hand, I'd love to see a third Shenmue. On the other, I can't help but see this:

"Ryo's blood spattered trail leads him deep into China and into the arms of the voluptuous Shenhua where they find themselves surrounded by Lan Di's private army. But with fleet feet of steel and fists burning with immortal vengeance, Ryo begins a new chapter written with the entrails of his enemies."

gcubed

itxaka said:
I really have seen everything now.

People laughing at Itagaki face and making jokes about it = Cool

People bashing Itagaki = Cool

People calling Itagaki a drama queen and not reading the OP = Cool

One guy calling Kojima overrated = Banned

Nice one GAF. You always surprise me.

And I hope Itagaki wins if it´s true and goes to a new company/makes a new one so we can get his nice games.

And Kojima is overrated.

maybe because this thread isnt about Kojima? How about you whine like a little child some more, we all love listening to it

Top Bottom