• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Itagaki talks about DOA

IvorB

DOA5 & Ninja Gaiden 3 are straight garbage.

I notice that most people that say "DOA5 is the best DOA has ever been" are people that didn't even like DOA in the first place.

DOA has turned into a completely generic fighting game, what exactly makes the new one good? The graphics? The stage design(LOL)? The gameplay(LMAO)? The ridiculously priced outfit packs? The broken net code? The list goes on and on. And I don't even want to get started on Ninja Gaiden. Them allowing that Yaiba game to even exists should be enough to tell anyone where these people are coming from and how truly clueless and disrespectful they are to a once great action game series.

Have you tried Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge? It's pretty good.

Asriel

I notice that most people that say "DOA5 is the best DOA has ever been" are people that didn't even like DOA in the first place.

DOA has turned into a completely generic fighting game, what exactly makes the new one good? The graphics? The stage design(LOL)? The gameplay(LMAO)? The ridiculously priced outfit packs? The broken net code? The list goes on and on. And I don't even want to get started on Ninja Gaiden. Them allowing that Yaiba game to even exists should be enough to tell anyone where these people are coming from and how truly clueless and disrespectful they are to a once great action game series.

Please tell us.

What is so special about the counter fest that is DOA4?

DOA4 was trash gameplay-wise.

Have you tried Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge? It's pretty good.

But its not Ninja Gaiden 2 good soooo..no

DOA5 is the best DOA by and far. They made system mechanics work that didn't make sense before. Like stuns and throws giving real disadvantage. Itagaki believed that you should never have any sort of advantage in a fight. Just one example of many that made it a superior experience. As far as content goes, it's the biggest DOA even without DLC. They make a ton of DLC, but that's completely optional content. Online sucks, but very P2P based like the last DoAs.

Visuals are a lot more varied. Which a great thing from the generic doll factory they came from.

I disagree with the bold but to each his own. The game is just a generic fighter now. Slow and boring gameplay, ugly looking models of the characters, bland environments. Plus they chasnge the characters around a little too much for my taste.

DR2K

Banned

DOA5 is the best DOA by and far. They made system mechanics work that didn't make sense before. Like stuns and throws giving real disadvantage. Itagaki believed that you should never have any sort of advantage in a fight. Just one example of many that made it a superior experience. As far as content goes, it's the biggest DOA even without DLC. They make a ton of DLC, but that's completely optional content. Online sucks, but very P2P based like the last DoAs.

Visuals are a lot more varied. Which a great thing from the generic doll factory they came from.

Skilletor

I disagree with the bold but to each his own. The game is just a generic fighter now. Slow and boring gameplay, ugly looking models of the characters, bland environments. Plus they chasnge the characters around a little too much for my taste.

Generic doesn't mean anything to me. It's something you say when you don't know how to explain something you dislike. What mechanics don't sense in DoA5?

In DoA4, counters do too much. Everything leaves you at a disadvantage so that you're afraid to attack. Stun threshold is the single shittiest thing to have happened to the series. Balance was all over the place. Stages coming from DoA2U were terrible (I think DoA5's outstrip DoA4 by a fair margin). Everything, EVERYTHING, put you into critical state so that you were forced to play the shitty stun game. Nothing guaranteed, attacking was always in favor of the defender. there was no sidestep. Everything tracked. Free walking didn't do anything to avoid attacks, it was only good for positioning.

Most of that is a non-issue or greatly lessened in DoA5. Changed the characters too much? Most of the commands are identical to past DoA games.

DR2K

Banned

You can't disagree with the fact that DOA4 had system mechanics that led to nowhere. You could just block or hold your way out of anything. It was complete guess work 100% of the time. It was a joke of a fighter.

Itagaki is perhaps the most pretentious and self-absorbed auteur of the japanese video game industry. Ninja Gaiden: Black feels like a fluke with how inconsistent a lot of sections in NG2 felt, and DOA just got worse after 2. Sans the update to better 3d movement in 3.

He has been dangling devil's third for the last 6 years and what i've seen of it seems really boring and derivative.

His entire fandom seems to stem purely from how good NG:black was.

my controversial opinion is, NGS:2 is better than NG2 simply because it removes a lot of crappy boss stuff and pointless busy work such as grinding karma for upgrades, kicking open doors, and charged bow shots. If it kept the blood and found a way to keep the enemy count up i am positive the reactions to it would have been better in general. I think the Oni twins is perhaps the most fun fight in the game.

The thing about NG2 is that it should've been very easily fixable with, say, another year of dev time. Remove the few boring enemies, the ranged spamfest, add some incidental detail to the levels and you're there. It's not hard to imagine how great a NG2:Black would be.

Alas, hayashi.

But yes, devil's third will most likely flop hard.

Skilletor

The thing about NG2 is that it should've been very easily fixable with, say, another year of dev time. Remove the few boring enemies, the ranged spamfest, add some incidental detail to the levels and you're there. It's not hard to imagine how great a NG2:Black would be.

Alas, hayashi.

But yes, devil's third will most likely flop hard.

On the otherhand, if it's any good, the Wii U has another great action game to play :D.

I don't have sterling faith in Itagaki like some, so I'm definitely waiting on more footage. He talks a lot more than he's delivered for me.

Garbage? That is a little extreme I think. Do you know what a truly garbage fighting game is? Try Shadow Warriors on 3DO. How about Criticom or Rise of the Robots on PSOne? Imo, DOA5 is one of the most competent and best fighters of the past generation. It's fairly easy to pick up, yet hard to master. I love me some DOA4 and the previous offerings, but I really cannot comprehend how people prefer the gameplay in the previous DOA's to DOA5. The gameplay is not perfect in DOA5, but to me It plays fairly similar to Virtua Fighter with certain modifications. I have been playing DOA since the first installment on the Saturn and PSOne and to me, DOA5 is by far the best iteration of the series and I do not understand what is suddenly generic about it. Also, give me the more realistic models over the expressionless, generic anime dolls any day of the week even if they had to sacrifice background detail and image quality.

Yeah, NG3 had major issues, but NG3: RE is a significant improvement and is very comparable to the past Ninja Gaiden games gameplay-wise. I think it is a good game. Yaiba has issues as well, but it is a side story basically. Not meant to be NG4 or anything. I think it is still fun and reminds me of God of War with a terrible camera and comic book style graphics.

AAK

I only really played the US version of DOA3 before getting into DOA5. I struggle to see how people find the gameplay in that better than DOA5. I really liked DOA5, I liked it so much that I will get a PS4 for Last Round (and GGXrd) when it launches next year.

But real talk, Tecmo-Koei's netcode is pathetic. They need to sort that shit out pronto... but their silence regarding it has made me very apprehensive about it.

Generic doesn't mean anything to me. It's something you say when you don't know how to explain something you dislike. What mechanics don't sense in DoA5?

Whatever makes you sleep at night. I already had this discussion with you in the past, so I don't really care what you have to say to be honest.

You can't disagree with the fact that DOA4 had system mechanics that led to nowhere. You could just block or hold your way out of anything. It was complete guess work 100% of the time. It was a joke of a fighter.

You mean how a joke of a fighter DOA5 is? The same complaints you are also present in DOA 5.

Have you actually played it? I don't know whether you would rank it higher or lower than the other games but it's a proper Ninja Gaiden game, no doubt. It's all there.

Yes I have played it and no it's not a proper Ninja Gaiden game. Ninja Gaiden 3 was a horrific game and Razor Edge was just slightly polished up turd. Its like putting a turd in a bag but still leaving it out for everyone to see.

Skilletor

How is the blocking system different in DoA1 compared to other games ? I don't remember it being that different maybe except for the fact that the back button is block.

You can hold back to block in every doa. The difference on doa1 is that you couldn't counter during stun, and counters were more like parries. They did very little damage and gave you frame advantage.

I know we're never going to get counters from stun removed, but I would like a return of this counters that gave advantage and changed position.
Whatever makes you sleep at night. I already had this discussion with you in the past, so I don't really care what you have to say to be honest.

You mean how a joke of a fighter DOA5 is? The same complaints you are also present in DOA 5.

That's cool, but you're still not saying anything about the mechanics in DoA5. It's almost like you don't know what you're talking about. Especially since you ignored everything I said to get your wicked burn on me, only to go on to say the problems DR2K has with DoA4 (which I mentioned) are present in DoA5. Stun threshold + counter damage makes DoA4 the worst in the series without taking into account the other problems with the game.

And I don't know about an argument about this in the past, but I found this thread where you completely dismissed the game before it was even announced. So that's hilarious.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=363669

mcz117chief

You can hold back to block in every doa. The difference on doa1 is that you couldn't counter during stun, and counters were more like parries. They did very little damage and gave you frame advantage.

I know we're never going to get counters from stun removed, but I would like a return of this counters that gave advantage and changed position.

There are still quite a few counters that just turn the enemy around without doing any damage, or am I missing the point ?

Skilletor

There are still quite a few counters that just turn the enemy around without doing any damage, or am I missing the point ?

There aren't that many of them :p

There are a few characters that have parries like that (Gen Fu, Eliot, Bayman, Lei Fang...Hitomi has one for high or mid punches, off the top of my head). Most counters in the game do damage, knock down. They're not used the same way DoA1 counters were. And they can all be done from stun, which is the bigger deal (for me).

Hahaha, these posts. For the record I enjoyed DOA4 too, but DOA5 is a much better game when it comes to gameplay. Sure, it may look a little bit more "generic" but who cares when the gameplay is leagues better.

edit: DOA5 did have some crappy music when compared to the older games though.

emb

I don't know enough about DoA to really agree or disagree with his comments.

I will say though that I hope he makes a fighting game next. I like those. :)

mcz117chief

And they can all be done from stun, which is the bigger deal (for me).

They can only be done from light stuns, if the character is in hard stun or in the air then it can't counter. Also, it would be a total guessing game if you could only do counters if you are not being stunned at all, isn't it better to be rewarded for knowing the combos of your enemies and predicting their pattern (since many combos have varieties within themselves) ? I must say I am content with the current system we have :)

Skilletor

They can only be done from light stuns, if the character is in hard stun or in the air then it can't counter. Also, it would be a total guessing game if you could only do counters if you are not being stunned at all, isn't it better to be rewarded for knowing the combos of your enemies and predicting their pattern (since many combos have varieties within themselves) ? I must say I am content with the current system we have :)

The only stuns you can't counter from are limbo, sit down, and turn around stuns. Those are a very small percentage of stuns in the game. It's already a total guessing game for most attacks.

I don't know at you mean here, honestly. I don't know what you mean by 'light stun.' especially since, in addition to being able to counter during most stuns in doa games past the first, you can also counter out of stun.

AAK

Seriously? You do realize when trying to prove a point you have to back up your argument with reasoning right?

mcz117chief

The only stuns you can't counter from are limbo, sit down, and turn around stuns. Those are a very small percentage of stuns in the game. It's already a total guessing game for most attacks.

I don't know at you mean here, honestly. I don't know what you mean by 'light stun.' especially since, in addition to being able to counter during most stuns in doa games past the first, you can also counter out of stun.

Light stun is when you punch someone a couple of times. After a couple of hits you will see a red sign saying something like "critical stun" or something like that, in that phase the enemy can't counter. Also, if the enemy is in mid air it can't counter either.

Skilletor

Light stun is when you punch someone a couple of times. After a couple of hits you will see a red sign saying something like "critical stun" or something like that, in that phase the enemy can't counter. Also, if the enemy is in mid air it can't counter either.

Critical stun notification happens whenever you are stunned. It turns red when a critical burst will trigger the special stun. This happens at the end of the stun threshold (at the point where they will fall down out of a stun, it's tied to the amount of damage you do during critical state).

And yes, they CAN counter during entirety of being stunned unless it's a sit down stun, a turn around stun, a limbo stun, or they've just been hit with a critical burst move.

mcz117chief

Critical stun notification happens whenever you are stunned. It turns red when a critical burst will trigger the special stun. This happens at the end of the stun threshold (at the point where they will fall down out of a stun, it's tied to the amount of damage you do during critical state).

And yes, they CAN counter during entirety of being stunned unless it's a sit down stun, a turn around stun, a limbo stun, or they've just been hit with a critical burst move.

right, that's it :)

edit: Ok, I guess you are right.

Endo Punk

The level design and IQ definitely suffered with Itagaki gone but gameplay and character design improved. I think the franchise is better off without him but DOA3 is still my favorite so it's weird. Here's hoping TN hits all the highs of the franchise with its 6th entry. I'm still not sure about NG, if TN drops the ball again with NG4 then yeah Itagaki will be missed for that IP.

ShinMaruku

How the new parts of NG:RE works I think Team Ninja got their groove back. New characters are so much better. They all have Iframes and unique mechanics. Misty for example has a grab which is the most devastating grab that Phase 4 can throw you into.

In DOA5 we have true side steps, some moves still do track but you can side step holds are nerfed (So much so that if somebody tries to hold my Momiji they fall into death when she throws them for 25% of their life XD) The bound system and sit down stuns are great. I can sit you down with Ayane then launch you for example.

mcz117chief

How the new parts of NG:RE works I think Team Ninja got their groove back. New characters are so much better. They all have Iframes and unique mechanics. Misty for example has a grab which is the most devastating grab that Phase 4 can throw you into.

In DOA5 we have true side steps, some moves still do track but you can side step holds are nerfed (So much so that if somebody tries to hold my Momiji they fall into death when she throws them for 25% of their life XD) The bound system and sit down stuns are great. I can sit you down with Ayane then launch you for example.

this man (or madame ?) gets it, I agree with everything 100%. I also love Razor's Edge :) (my favourite Ninja Gaiden to be honest)

Misty for example has a grab which is the most devastating grab that Phase 4 can throw you into.

Can you elaborate on this please ? Which throw/grab is that ?

RiZ III

Although Ninja Gaiden has gone to shit without Itagaki, I personally found DoA5 to be the best in the series. The change in art style was a very welcome change as well.

SkylineRKR

Razor's Edge is a piece of shit. I bought it off Zavvi last year because it was cheap, turned out to be my worst game of 2013. It was awful. Haven't played vanilla and never will.

NG2 is this close to be a fucking classic. All it takes is a stable current-gen up port, with some fixes on offscreen bullshit. Too bad we got Sigma 2 already, which is a laughable version. The combat and level design wasn't developed for NG1 enemy counts.

DoA5 is pretty good, but its IQ, stages and music took a hit.

mcz117chief

Razor's Edge is a piece of shit. I bought it off Zavvi last year because it was cheap, turned out to be my worst game of 2013. It was awful. Haven't played vanilla and never will.

NG2 is this close to be a fucking classic. All it takes is a stable current-gen up port, with some fixes on offscreen bullshit. Too bad we got Sigma 2 already, which is a laughable version. The combat and level design wasn't developed for NG1 enemy counts.

Tell me why you consider Razor's Edge bad ? For me it is the ultimate Ninja Gaiden game, the only think lacking is level design which is pretty basic and story, everything else is 10/10. During summer at our regional gaming expo what do you think was the game that people wanted to play the most ? Mortal Kombat ? Nope. GTA V ? Nope. Naruto ? Nope (but it was second). Halo ? Nope. Ground Zeroes ? Nope. It was Razor's Edge, I was playing it during the off hours when there was almost nobody around and immediately once I started people wanted to try it out too and there was an endless line to try out the game after that until the end of the next day. Some people even said that they are going to buy PS3 so that they can play the game at home !

More stuff from Itagaki.

"About the ruined games: DOA5 Series"

This is very important issue, so I am picking it up onto my wall. The original thread is here.
https://www.facebook.com/tomonobu.itagaki/posts/1512432799020833?pnref=story

Hi ??????, my intention is to prevent misunderstandings made daily on my wall. Please understand that I do not have any other intentions to you.

It seems that some people misunderstand the DOA's situation. Needless to say, I love DOA and DOA fans because I and my fellows created this DOA universe from the scratch. But I have to say that DOA was ruined.

"DOA was ruined” - I can surely enumerate the numerous faults of DOA5 series here with precise analysis. DOA5 series have numerous problems. This is not my typo; I wrote "DOA5 SERIES" have many problems.
But I shouldn't make a list of the enormous blemish of DOA5 series for you guys here. If I do so, DOA universe will completely END in a single burst. That's not my wish. Not yours too, right? I’ve already done what I need to do. I told those problems/faults of DOA to DECENT people in the current Team NINJA. This is the reasonable manner along my philosophy.

Now I will write my answers to ?????? questions. I don’t think four, only for among so many problems of DOA5 series, disclosed to public do not blow up DOA universe.

1) "What installment?"
Answer: All of these games are called as DOA5 blah, blah, blah. I can’t understand so many DOA5 blah, blah, blah exist in this game industry at all. Plus, All of them have different problems – this is real tragedy.

2) "The DLC?"
Answer: This is one of numerous mistakes of current Team NINJA with no doubt.

3) "The Character?"
Answer: I think you're talking about veneer of graphics. I never hate the improvements of graphics, but character setting are absolute shambles. If they wanted change it to such a HASH settings, they should have created totally different game series.

4) "Fan Service?"
Answer: Fan Service? If you are not using the word, Fan-Service, sarcastically, I would say I can't find any fan services at all in DOA5.
What I can see is dirty tricks which finagle money out of loyal DOA fans.

That's all I want to say for now.
Bitters do good to the stomach; the best advice is always the hardest to take.

thelastword

Banned
I can agree on two things, I think the stage graphics have taken a step down in DOA5, so has IQ. DOA 2 on the dreamcast, Doa3 on the xbox and DOA4 on the 360 all had very nice IQ. They had bright stages and good textures. All of that became worse in DOA5.

On the second point is DLC, I have never seen a series with costume dlc being so expensive, it's ridiculous. Even now, last round is coming out, the third iteration of DOA5 and still not all the costumes are packed in, at this point, what kind of popularity will this old game have to warrant even extra costume purchases after the third edition?

I will buy this game on PS4 since I was kind put off by the bad IQ and weak textures of the last gen versions, hopefully they make amends here, eventually I will buy the PC version for costumes and mods. It made no sense buying expensive costumes on the last gen versions to adorn jaggy characters.

Also I hope they're working on DOA6 from the ground up for next gen consoles, no last gen versions please, that ship has sailed.

Skilletor

Itagaki made like 6 different versions of DoA2.

3 different versions of DoA3.

Made the absolute worst entry in the series with DoA4.

Also love that he never comments on gameplay. On how the community is thriving. Why it's a bad thing that a game continues to get support post release.

4) "Fan Service?"
Answer: Fan Service? If you are not using the word, Fan-Service, sarcastically, I would say I can't find any fan services at all in DOA5.
What I can see is dirty tricks which finagle money out of loyal DOA fans.

I Think he is way off-base here.

The costumes are not directed at the typical DOA fan. Its directed at a total.....other....fanbase entirely.

The recent inclusions to Tekken are clear example of this. Dont be surprised if SFV has one too.

Costume DLC is a necessary evil. The fighting games you want made can not be made and sold just to series fans or the fighting game community, there has to be an alternative revenue source.

This is why there's the madness of trying to make a fighting game appeal to everyone with gems, how a company can't produce the #1 fighting game in the world on their own (and their big upgrade can't afford to hire a 3D modeler for a new character), how a crossover fighter that was announced years ago was shelved for a sweetheart deal with the world's biggest IP instead, why there's ten different versions of every fighting game, etc.

It is what it is. Itagaki is pining for a time when fighting games could be made with competitive budgets and sell to expectations. That time doesn't exist anymore.

TreIII

Itagaki made like 6 different versions of DoA2.

3 different versions of DoA3.

Made the absolute worst entry in the series with DoA4.

Also love that he never comments on gameplay. On how the community is thriving. Why it's a bad thing that a game continues to get support post release.

Pretty much.

Even if we don't count the one version of DOA2 PS2 that was shipped without his knowledge/consent, that still doesn't leave much room him to talk about re-releases. Everything else just sounds like missing the forest for its trees.

Top Bottom