• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's 2001. You're a major investor. You can save SEGA or pave the way for Microsoft. What do you do?

What would you do?

• Invest in SEGA and give them a foothold back in the market

Votes: 138 61.6%
  • Invest elsewhere and allow Microsoft to enter the market

Votes: 86 38.4%

• Total voters
Not even Yuji Naka would invest in Sega.

sonic-in-jail-758x426.jpg

RAIDEN1

It was unsuccessful in the West, true. But it's not like it was the main reason Sega went bust. It was the death of a million cuts.
Yeah but the Saturn was no small contributor to their downfall either...it was a disaster they could do without....

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
MS entering the console market was bad for PC gamers - it took games away from PC and accelerated the trajectory of consoles becoming slightly gimped PCs which impacts PC development to this day. At the same time, Sega being around would have done nothing to stop this.

Kokoloko85

MS entering the console market was bad for PC gamers - it took games away from PC and accelerated the trajectory of consoles becoming slightly gimped PCs which impacts PC development to this day. At the same time, Sega being around would have done nothing to stop this.
Hmmm never saw it like that before but its kinda true.

But it also paved the way for alot of games to come to PC And more console centric games to come there too going forward. Not saying its good or bad.
I mean during th 360/PS3 generation PC missed out on some of the best games that generation.
Gears 1-3, Halo 3, Uncharted 1-3, TLOU, Demons Souls, Forza, Lost Odessey, MGS4, RDR, GTA 4.

Microsoft. It's bizarre that they aren't doing better. They have the money to completely dominate the gaming market but I guess it comes down to poor management. If Microsoft was on point then the only company out there that could do any better would be Apple.

I really don't see how SEGA could be performing better than Microsoft right now. It would be a huge loss if Microsoft left the gaming market and if they can sort out the management issue then they can still become the biggest player in gaming. Once this activision shit blows over we'll have a better idea of what Microsoft plans doing. I don't want to see Microsoft defeated and I say that as someone who has owned PS consoles since 95. We really need competition. If MS did leave then I'd want Apple to come in. They do seem to be more interested in gaming lately so it'll be interesting to see how things go over the next 5-10 years.

Top Bottom