• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's 2020, and I'm still impressed by my PSP - who needs a Switch?! Anyone else still play PSP?

teezzy

Banned
It's 2020 and I have a handheld device that I can take with me anywhere and play Monster Hunter, Tekken, and NHL on the go. Truthfully, I don't need much else in the way of gaming.

It's so awesome to turn this on while taking breaks while working from home.

Plus, with CFW I'm able to store all these games digitally and have access to multiple emulators ranging from NES to PS1 all in the palm of my hands. The range of RPGs I can play this way is staggering, including those native to PSP.

It's 2020, and I'm still impressed by my PSP. The little device that could. DS was awesome too, but lol, I sold that thing long ago.

81rFjLj6hfS._SY445_.jpg
51d1xUoETPL._SY445_.jpg
51B2YFX2ESL._SY445_.jpg

Anyone else still play PSP?!

Here is mine playing the opening area of the original Wild Arms, special Hannah Montana edition:

uctzRUc.jpg

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I use my Vita. I hook up a pair of wireless headphones and play PS1 Classics on there. I also like to play a handful of PSP titles. Capcom's Classic Collection REMIX and so forth. Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX, Sega Genesis Collection, and a host of other great games. There's a pretty good selection of PSP titles on the Vita's store page. A couple good ones are Manhunt 2 and Liberty City Stories. I have Knights in the Nightmare and Breath of Fire III. You can get Breath of Fire IV on the PSN store. The PSP was such a good handheld and the highlights and improves upon it. It just didn't get the same type of support like the PSP had.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The PSP is still a great system. Good screen, excellent battery life. Some truly amazing RPG games were released for it. The UMDs were an awful format though and haven't held up well in my personal experience.

As others have said, the Vita is vastly superior not only for the OLED screen but also because they're now easily hackable and can be made to play PSP games and more.

I still have my original PSP as well as the PSP Go which I kinda prefer. But they're kinda show pieces now since the Vita exists.

teezzy

Banned
Is Vita modding as drag and drop easy as PSP?

The OLED screen is only certain models - correct? How do y'know what to look out for?

SegaShack

PSP is great for arcade collections and PS1 games. I honestly wish more games on the system were 2D, as those ended up being the most fun. (Now I regret selling my PSP).

I bought one around 2009 and the games coming out from Sony were very lackluster (Resistance, Little Big Planet). Seemed like the company had already given up by then.

Last edited:

Kdad

It's 2020 and I have a handheld device that I can take with me anywhere and play Monster Hunter, Tekken, and NHL on the go. Truthfully, I don't need much else in the way of gaming.

It's so awesome to turn this on while taking breaks while working from home.

Plus, with CFW I'm able to store all these games digitally and have access to multiple emulators ranging from NES to PS1 all in the palm of my hands. The range of RPGs I can play this way is staggering, including those native to PSP.

It's 2020, and I'm still impressed by my PSP. The little device that could. DS was awesome too, but lol, I sold that thing long ago.

81rFjLj6hfS._SY445_.jpg
51d1xUoETPL._SY445_.jpg
51B2YFX2ESL._SY445_.jpg

Anyone else still play PSP?!

Here is mine playing the opening area of the original Wild Arms, special Hannah Montana edition:

uctzRUc.jpg
Is that the Hannah Montana PSP ... got mine super cheap as they were not selling :)

Kdad

It's great,you could even substitute it for an OLED vita, the custom things you can run on it are great.
Really great devices by Sony, and it's a shame that Vita lost to 3DS.
Its also a shame that SONY didn't do more to support it frankly.

K1Expwy

Not my PSP which I still have, but I've been playing through my old PSP library on Vita's CFW. The Adrenaline XMB brings back good memories, now with a larger OLED screen

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Is Vita modding as drag and drop easy as PSP?

The OLED screen is only certain models - correct? How do y'know what to look out for?
There are two models of Vita, the 1000 and 2000. The 1000 (original model) has the OLED screen and metal casing. The 2000 went to LED screen and plastic, presumably to save money.

Modding it isn't quite as easy as the PSP, but it's still pretty straightforward, and it's definitely easier if you can find one with a lower firmware (though it's not a requirement, it just means you have to go through a separate downgrade process)

zombrex

Even in 2020 PSP is still an amazing console. I love how bright the screen gets and The d pad is so much better for games than any other handheld console. Was playing some DJ max a few days ago and had a blast.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I play my PSP all the time. It's sitting on my table right now in fact. I think it's the perfect size (the Vita is just the wrong side of too big, although the slim one gets closer), comfortable, and the game lineup is brilliant.

Codes 208

I would but mine broke and most places only sell vitas. I actually miss watching movies via UMD on the psp
Both of Sony's handhelds were also incredible pieces of engineering. A crying shame. :(
the psp was. I didn’t care for the vita. The emphasis of all the touch controls on the screen and on the back and the proprietary memory really killed a lot of my interest.

Last edited:

cireza

Switch is pretty useless overall.

PSP is great, you should think about getting a Vita. Fantastic device.

AGRacing

I ordered a Japanese PSP prior to the North American release. It was the only time I did such a thing.

I got Ridge Racer with it - it was the only game I had for months until the NA release and Wip3out Pure ( which was also INCREDIBLE! )

I can't really think of a moment (in gaming) that blew me away more than playing that game for the first time. The screen was way beyond anything I had seen in a portable device. The graphics appeared borderline impossible for a handheld. For those months I must have been asked 100 times what it was I was playing by folks that saw me with it.

The PSP was and is an incredible machine.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
PSP was an amazing console! If only Sony had the foresight of nintendo to bundle in a TV adapter base and sell a wireless controller for it. They almost caught on during the vita days with the PlayStation TV... So close and yet...

Ceadeus

Gold Member
I do not play much PSP but have so much good memories of it. MHF2 is a perfect example.

I'm also one of the few who liked the psp go, it's pocketable and subtle. So much fun and nice tech for its time.

Orenji Neko

I still like to play Rockman Rockman and also make levels on it to this day. My favorite and most played PSP game though I admit to being hopeless Rockman fan. Second place goes to Monster Hunter games and playing those with friends.

Still got a PSPgo, that thing was amazing. Haven't used it for a while since I modded a Vita and transferred my PSP library over to it. Still no better Richi Mahjong on the go than the Saki PSP games :messenger_sunglasses:

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
Oh heck's yes... I've had a PSP since 2006. Had the Phat originally... then a black 2000, then a White 2000 in the Star Wars Renegade Squadron Bundle... then a red 2000 in the God Of War Chains of Olympus bundle... and then the latest bundle (10 years ago... wow) was the Metal Gear Peacewalker Big Boss pack, which I am so glad I bought on release. Goes for quite the premium nowadays.
dims

Really one of my favorite devices to this day and yes I still use it frequently. Using it enough to where the UMD disc drive was making all sorts of racket because the oil dried out on the slides and gears. Watched a video on Youtube on how to fix it There's a super small hole for oil to get into the UMD mechanism inside the disc bay. You have to use a toothpick or something small to get oil in there.

Here's some of my favorite games on it :)
51EEJW5AV7L._SY445_.jpg
60068-daxter-psp-front-cover.jpg
220px-Metal_Gear_Solid_Portable_Ops_cover.jpg
256556-metal-gear-solid-peace-walker-psp-front-cover.jpg
192px-Size_Matters.jpg
latest
41nL%2BbMu5eL._AC_SY445_.jpg

diffusionx

Gold Member
You guys missed maybe the most impressive racing game on the system which is Test Drive Unlimited which lets you drive around that whole Hawaiian island just like the Xbox 360 one.

I still like to play Rockman Rockman and also make levels on it to this day. My favorite and most played PSP game though I admit to being hopeless Rockman fan. Second place goes to Monster Hunter games and playing those with friends.

Kind of crazy that MMPU's servers are still up, it's like a precursor to Mario Maker.

Top Bottom