• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's 2020, and I'm still impressed by my PSP - who needs a Switch?! Anyone else still play PSP?

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
This was my first PSP game. It's a great game and I don't even particularly care for the series.

WkyRlOn.jpg

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I swear people must be smoking crack in this thread. The switch library flat out wipes the floor with the vita. Switch lite is hands down a much better system. The down side is it's unhackable but tough shit.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I swear people must be smoking crack in this thread. The switch library flat out wipes the floor with the vita. Switch lite is hands down a much better system. The down side is it's unhackable but tough shit.
As an owner of a PSP as well as somebody who worked as tech support for it and all the other Playstation consoles as well as someone who is a new owner of a Switch Lite, I wholeheartedly agree.

PSP was awesome for its time but Switch oh so much better in almost every way.

I say this too as somebody who use to dislike Nintendo and a Sony fanboy.

PaulBizkit

i bought my 2000 model in 2008 and the screen blew my mind.
I showed it to my co workers, days later, and they were amazed as well.

I have so many fond memories of it, like the multiplayer sessions in peace walker with my friends, how i played god eater with my gf (now wife), who loved the Persona 3 port.
And well, yeah, I played everything on it, Crisis Core, KH:BBS, GoW, MGS, everything, I really lived its lifetime to the fullest, I even remember the PSP references in some anime shows of that time. I wish I had played MH more during that time, tho. I really love this system.

latest

Of course, by late 2012 and early 2013, I wasnt playing that many games anymore. I kind of stopped playing games, but by 2016 picked up the PSP again to play some recent fan-translated games. And in december 2016 I went to japan and bought the legendary MH3rd edition, that has an extended battery, which as of 2020, holds a charge for at least 13-15 hours. Amazing.

Anyways, my 2000 model is safely stored in a drawer (along the many games i brought from japan), and the MH3rd model is the one I use every once in a while (currently playing MH3rd, Valkyria Chronicles 3 and Steins;Gate is in the backlog).

DelireMan7

I am considering buying a PSP (or vita if it can read PSP games) primarily for Valkirye Profile Lenneth (since the original Ps1 version looks more difficult to get).

Is the console region lock ? Any general advice ? Games recommendation (mainly RPG) ?

Last edited:
I am considering buying a PSP (or vita if it can read PSP games) primarily for Valkirye Profile Lenneth (since the original Ps1 version looks more difficult to get).

Is the console region lock ? Any general advice ? Games recommendation (mainly RPG) ?
I don't think it's region locked, I played European, US, and Japanese games with no problem.

Some great RPGs to play:
- Persona 3 Portable
- Persona 2: Innoncent Sin
- Trails in the Sky First Chapter & Second Chapter
- Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core
- Final Fantasy I / II / IV
- Final Fantasy Tactics
- Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
- Breath of Fire III
- Ys Seven
- Disgaea
- Lunar: Silver Star Harmony

DelireMan7

I don't think it's region locked, I played European, US, and Japanese games with no problem.

Some great RPGs to play:
- Persona 3 Portable
- Persona 2: Innoncent Sin
- Trails in the Sky First Chapter & Second Chapter
- Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core
- Final Fantasy I / II / IV
- Final Fantasy Tactics
- Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
- Breath of Fire III
- Ys Seven
- Disgaea
- Lunar: Silver Star Harmony
Ho man ! Your list makes me dream :)

FF Tactics, Ys and Lunar are in my list to play since a while. Also curious for Crisis Core.

Cato

Banned
It's 2020 and I have a handheld device that I can take with me anywhere and play Monster Hunter, Tekken, and NHL on the go. Truthfully, I don't need much else in the way of gaming.

It's so awesome to turn this on while taking breaks while working from home.

Plus, with CFW I'm able to store all these games digitally and have access to multiple emulators ranging from NES to PS1 all in the palm of my hands. The range of RPGs I can play this way is staggering, including those native to PSP.

It's 2020, and I'm still impressed by my PSP. The little device that could. DS was awesome too, but lol, I sold that thing long ago.

81rFjLj6hfS._SY445_.jpg
51d1xUoETPL._SY445_.jpg
51B2YFX2ESL._SY445_.jpg

Anyone else still play PSP?!

Here is mine playing the opening area of the original Wild Arms, special Hannah Montana edition:

uctzRUc.jpg

I see you are a man of culture.
Wild Arms on PSP. I am actually playing it on PSP right now as well.
It is an awesome game.

MagnesG

Banned
Anyways, my 2000 model is safely stored in a drawer (along the many games i brought from japan), and the MH3rd model is the one I use every once in a while (currently playing MH3rd, Valkyria Chronicles 3 and Steins;Gate is in the backlog).
Fucking love that game.

I'll add

- Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep (it's not confusing as a standalone)
- The 3rd Birthday
- Patapon 2 and 3 ( real good RPG rhythm games I'm not kidding)
- GTA Chinatown
- MGS Peace Walker
- Phantasy Star Portable 2/Infinity
- Locoroco
- PSP GoWs if you haven't yet
- Valkyria Chonicles 2 and 3
- Megaman Maverick Hunter X
- Silent Hill Shattered Memories
- Final Fantasy Type-0
- Fat Princess Fistful of Cake
- Corpse Party PSP
- Growlanser Wayfarer of Time

All of those are top tier must play games.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Yup, still jump back and forth between it and my 3DS. Gonna finish my NG+ of SMTIV and then try to dive into Knights in the Nightmare (PSP). I played the DS version years ago, and though I really kinda loved it, I never finished it. It became kinda complicated with all the mechanics. But I've since been watching some great tutorial videos that walk you through the mechanics without spoiling the story/missions/etc.

But yeah, I have quite a backlog of PSP games I'm still happy to eventually get to. Eventually, I'd like to get a Vita as well.

If we're talking outside the realm of RPG, these games are absolute must-plays:

- MGS Peace Walker
- God of War Chains of Olympus
- Lumines
- Burnout Legends

Ev1L AuRoN

Still my favorite portable system, Sony was truly ahead of its time with the PSP. I remember being shocked by how good the games look in the system. Ridge Racer look just like the PS2.

Of course, I hacked mine for all the emulation goodness, Playing Genesis, Snes, GBA, PS1, CPS1/2 and Neogeo games on the go. put to shame anything back then.

I bought the Vita and it's a shame how Sony treat it. So much potential.

AGRacing

No joke.... I just bought one with a cracked shell for 30 bucks. Ordered a replacement front shell. I love the thing.

SegaManAU

Gold Member
I still remember how blown away I was playing Ridge Racer on my Japanese launch console.

I need to dig up my PSP. I have my games, I don't know where my console is!!

buizel

Banned
What are those headphones nibba
It's 2020 and I have a handheld device that I can take with me anywhere and play Monster Hunter, Tekken, and NHL on the go. Truthfully, I don't need much else in the way of gaming.

It's so awesome to turn this on while taking breaks while working from home.

Plus, with CFW I'm able to store all these games digitally and have access to multiple emulators ranging from NES to PS1 all in the palm of my hands. The range of RPGs I can play this way is staggering, including those native to PSP.

It's 2020, and I'm still impressed by my PSP. The little device that could. DS was awesome too, but lol, I sold that thing long ago.

81rFjLj6hfS._SY445_.jpg
51d1xUoETPL._SY445_.jpg
51B2YFX2ESL._SY445_.jpg

Anyone else still play PSP?!

Here is mine playing the opening area of the original Wild Arms, special Hannah Montana edition:

uctzRUc.jpg

Love the PSP. That was an amazing time to be a gamer - the Wii and DS were offering unique controls and simulations of sceneries we'd never had before (lawyer, surgeon, dentist) while the PSP gave us hitherto unheard of graphics on a handheld.

Probably the best line-up of racers and driving games of any console ever. It was massively outsold by the DS but certainly not a failure.

Still use mine regularly.

Everybody's Golf
Parodius Collection
Ridge Racers
Burnout Legends
Pirates
Loco Roco
Mega Man Powered Up
Metal Gear Acid
After Burner Black Falcon
Crazy Taxi Collection

Those are some of my favourites.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I got a used PSP-2000 around the time my youngest son was born, and man that thing was a life saver with the suspend feature. I loved Jeanne d'Arc, Daxter, Mod Racers, FF: Crisis Core. Good times.

Last edited:

Ladioss

I'm so sad mine died years ago when I tried to disassemble it to repair the dying joystick. With a firmware installed, it was the perfect emulation console to play retro games on the go.

Forgot Jeanne d'Arc. Yep, that's a must-have.

Test Drive Unlimited was an amazing technical accomplishment but not quite fun enough to play.

BadAss Rumble is great fun. Such a shame the others in the series didn't get localised.

If you import, I love the Airport Hero - Air Traffic Controller games. They're on 3DS too, but you need a JP 3DS to play those, unless you've circumvented the region lock.

I also prefer Fight Night on PSP to its PS360 big brother.

Larlight

The PSP was the one handheld where I truly thought we were heading into the future. Console like graphics on a handheld? All I ever remembered handhelds being capable of were 2d sprites.

GonSama

More games:
- God of War: Chains of Olympus / God of War: Ghost of Sparta
- Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy
- Hexyz Force
- Nayuta no Kiseki (english patch)
- Ys Seven
- Fate Unlimited Codes
- Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Heroes 3

Last edited:

Robins

I still think Sony will release a new PS Vita successor with 5g as a PS now machine once the technology is widespread enough.

Hal.

Agreed. This was absolute insanity when most people still had a PS2 at home.

Ironically the DS library has stood the test of time a bit better, but at the time of release the PSP felt like the most ridiculously impressive premium machine. Store shelves were fucking overflowing with PSP stuff in the UK and, actually, for the first few years I thought there was always something to play.

Granted, a lot of the games were sort of middling 6-7/10 kind of stuff, but it made a welcome change from the DS forced touch mechanics or slightly better looking 2d games.

Top Bottom