• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's been nine months since MS increased Gamepass prices

What is your stance on the Gamepass price increase?

• Total voters

Three

In the same vein as the other poll. Last year MS increased the price for their online services

$12 increase for Gamepass for a year. $120-> $132

$24 increase for Gamepass Ultimate for year. $180 -> $204

What is your opinion? Do you feel that the service improved and the price increase was justified? Did the library improve as desired? Did your stance change on the subscription?

Been months since I last subbed. Considered PC Gamepass a few times since but decided not to as it would be pointless in the end.

Jaybe

I was locked into Game Pass until Nov 2023 but I sold my Xbox Series X in June 2023 after their showcase anyway. Xbox presented a bunch of games in their June 2022 showcase that they promised would release in a year. The 3 big ones from that list that were first party were Redfall, Starfield, and Forza Motorsport. Only Redfall made the deadline releasing in May, and just barely. It was one of the worst games of 2023. I was done with Xbox and Game Pass if that was how Phil and Sarah were going to run their studios and the quality of their releases.

KaiserBecks

My subscription is running out this september and for the first time in 4 or 5 years, I’m debating wether or not I’m going to renew it. MS better have something up their sleeves in june, otherwise I’ll switch to psplus (not because it’s a better service, but I’ve been playing more on PS5 lately).

Quasicat

My use of Game Pass is probably a bit different than other subscribers. For me, the streaming service is the primary reason for me using it and the library is just a side perk for me continuing my subscription.
I still have access to my Xbox, but over the past year my kids have started using the TV more and my wife has been working on her school work in the living room some evenings.
This has led to me playing the cloud from my Steam Deck in the bedroom. At first, it wasn’t that big of a deal, but now I use it quite often.
I’m really excited to be able to play the games I purchased on the cloud, which they said is coming later this year.

Jaybe

I'm working eating a sandwich. No time son.
Brady Bunch Jan GIF by MOODMAN

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Subbed for forza and it was a mess at launch. 15 minute shader compilation on every boot up. Bad rt performance. No bc rtgi at launch. Never subbing at launch.

Sephimoth

I've just been paying the Ultimate for years even though I barely never play it.

Might as well cancel and just sub for a month now and then. Not like there's regular first party releases from their 42 studios either.

Tg89

Same as I always do, I'll sub once or twice a year for a month when something interesting is there. Otherwise I don't bother with the service.

acm2000

where is the option for "the service stayed the same but i renewed my membership"?

costs me nothing to have game pass ultimate bar a few minutes of my time each day doing the bing tasks and xbox quests.

Last edited:

MikeM

I cancelled mine months ago on PC. The app doesn't bring any of the Xbox flair. Email style achievement pops which is bleh (they don’t pop half the time anyways).
Much rather buy $15 games once a month on Steam and use that sweet big picture mode. At least I “own” them.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It didn't change for me (PC) but I halted it for now as I just have too much shit to play. Will renew when FS 2024 launches.

Topher

Gold Member
It is about the same for me quality-wise. I'm using Rewards to pay for it so really no need to unsubscribe.

Ev1L AuRoN

I don't own an Xbox console, so I don't need a subscription to play online, I tend to subscribe to the game pass every time Microsoft launches an exclusive that I want to try, the last time I did that was when HI-FI Rush launched. So I didn't feel that increase in price that much. As for the quality of the service, I guess it still has maintained the great value the service has. If I had an Xbox console, I can see myself using the service.

I've had gamepass since it began and now several years into the XSX life cycle there's little reason to keep paying for it.

Maybe once the games hit, whenever MS get their act together...

Probably not, though, as I've been finishing my XSX backlog and plan to sell the hardware to gamestop.

They should increase the prices by a lot just to get Phil to stop crying about not having the luxury of running a non-profitable business.

make a new adorable super expensive tier for day one games.

.... it was your dam idea Phil! 🤦🏻‍♂️

In the same vein as the other poll. Last year MS increased the price for their online services

$12 increase for Gamepass for a year. $120-> $132

$24 increase for Gamepass Ultimate for year. $180 -> $204

What is your opinion? Do you feel that the service improved and the price increase was justified? Did the library improve as desired? Did your stance change on the subscription?
Did Netflix, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount+, Peacock or Hulu "improve" since their latest price increase? Because Game Pass went like 7 years before it's first price increase. They held price for an incredibly long time. And all these streaming apps go up like 10% nearly every year. Netflix was like 5.99 a month in like 2014. And let's not even talk about Playstation's offerings vs their recent price increase.

What are you using as a comparison?

Xbox held price for an absurdly long time, despite their costs skyrocketing. It was a compeitive choice to try & retain and attract new users. But, things go up 🤷‍♂️.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I've never actually legit paid for GP, but the sub that came with my system, extended with a few freebies that came with games, happened to end right about the same time they upped the price and Xbox got a giant wall of bad press. It was pretty catastrophically bad timing. Any chance I had of renewing, which was still kinda there months ago, was completely lost.

kiphalfton

There's been some good addition. But it's been stuff like Dead Space, Dead Island 2, etc.

Really leaning into those third party publisherd games. Which isn't bad, but not really why most people probably got game pass in the first place.

Three

Did Netflix, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount+, Peacock or Hulu "improve" since their latest price increase? Because Game Pass went like 7 years before it's first price increase. They held price for an incredibly long time. And all these streaming apps go up like 10% nearly every year. Netflix was like 5.99 a month in like 2014. And let's not even talk about Playstation's offerings vs their recent price increase.

Xbox held price for an absurdly long time, despite their costs skyrocketing. It was a compeitive choice to try & retain and attract new users. But, things go up 🤷‍♂️.
I'm not comparing to anything let alone to film streaming services but since you asked Netflix held its prices for 6-7 years too during the user building phase before doing increases.

Fredrik

I didn’t renew the sub. I used to have it through a cheap deal and that ain’t available anymore.

Might resub on PC only for a month for Hellblade 2 but I’m not sure, if it’s good I might go directly for the Steam release.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Im locked in until 2025 and I think I will continue to Sub. I use my Gamepass quite a few times a year and Ive played some brilliant games on it. I wouldn't say it has improved or not as it's always been killer. Could be another crazy year but we will see.

King Dazzar

I enjoyed it as a demo platform whilst I had the bargain conversion deal still going. But unfortunately I got so disillusioned in the quality of games, compounded with the lack of confidence in the brand and where Xbox are heading. I sold my console before it expired. May return someday, but highly unlikely if everything goes to PlayStation (even if its time gated). Xbox lost me this generation.

El Muerto

I find discounted keys on reseller sites. And if there's a gamepass promo going on i take advantage of that. Bought so many bags of Doritos a few months ago.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I'm happy for Microsoft to increase the cost of GP, but I want more content in return.

Give me at least one AAA first party titles a month, plus some more AAA third party titles on day one, and I'll happily pay whatever they want me to. I'd beg them to pay more.

graywolf323

honestly I feel like it’s gotten slightly worse because we’re not getting as many indies and the first party studios still haven’t started delivering

right now my sub runs out right after ‘E3’ & I’m not planning on renewing unless something major happens at the summer showcase

edit: the stuff that has come Day 1 I’d rather pay to play on my Steam Deck, like Persona 3 Reload etc.

Last edited:
I paid $1 for the last month they offered that deal. That’s it. Never seen a reason to sub. Especially when I bought games like MCC for $10 to own it.

Chukhopops

So far this year I finished P3 Reload, the Lamplighters’ League, RE3 Remake and almost finished Boltgun. Also did a ton of Diablo in the past weeks.

Still worth it to me.

captainpat

I did the conversion deal and got 3 years for I think about $120, I'm locked in until Nov. I'm not gonna renew.

The way I play games, and especially on pc where we get steep deals all the time it actually works out to being not that much more expensive to just buying the games I want on sale. With the added bonus that I get to keep them permanently.

I think it's great for console only players tho.

Last edited:

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Mine expired last week. Been a GP member since day One and had Ultimate but have no urge or desire to renew.

xrnzaaas

Other - I still pick up a monthly sub once or twice per year (planning to do that in May when Hellblade 2 releases and in September for Stalker 2). Unlike PS+ I can still get cheap monthly subs and I don't have to commit long term.

cormack12

Gold Member
Don't really get the poll. It's just gamepass, what gets cycled in and out depends on the deals. What gets put on the service as first party depends on dev being complete.

I don't think it's improved but I will reupping my sub

Top Bottom