• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's been nine months since MS increased Gamepass prices

What is your stance on the Gamepass price increase?

• Total voters

King Dazzar

Other - I still pick up a monthly sub once or twice per year (planning to do that in May when Hellblade 2 releases and in September for Stalker 2). Unlike PS+ I can still get cheap monthly subs and I don't have to commit long term.
That's likely my similar approach, regardless of platform. Once there's multiple games to try, just buy one months worth and drop it again. If there's something I really like, just put it on a wish list and wait for sale.

$204 for castaways, or more time spent searching for the best deal for a sub than actually spent playing.

Just bail folks.

Forza Horizon, Like a Dragon Gaiden were the winners at release. Yukus Islands was the one special find. All else was trashy and wouldn’t hook you unless you are invested.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I always get tons of value from gamepass. For people like us who play a lot of games it makes sense. Love that I get to try a lot of games I would not have. I would have never played tetris effect without it......and that would have been tragic.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I’m not sure the service has improved, but GP is my only access to anything that isn’t an exclusive Switch release or a heavily discounted retro/indie game at this point.
Without GP I would be missing up on so many games.

FireFly

Why pay for a dedicated subscription when you can convert Game Pass Core to Ultimate at a 3:2 ratio? You can get 16 months of Ultimate for less than the cost of a 1 year Game Pass Console subscription.

In that context, the increase in subscription prices doesn't mean anything. The big deal was the worsening of the Gold to Ultimate conversion from 1:1 to 3:2.

The nice part to selling an XSX when you’ve been using Game Pass is having not made many purchases on the system, it wasn’t like I was leaving behind access to my digital library.
To be honest, I only got gamepass because of the 1 eu upgrade deal with gold. Barely used it apart from testing the odd game which I would buy if I liked it. Subscription based gaming isn't for me. I didn't lose any money selling my Xbox games though, traded them in for Steam gift cards and rebought every game on steam during sales with a bit of money left.

tmlDan

I only sub when there's a game i want to play on it then i cancel, not sure if that's a quality issue or not so i said "other" but I do not buy the games on GP (generally).

Last i played, i played starfield and remnant 2, then cancelled and didn't buy either game.

Last edited:

Griffon

I'm not worried about us seeing through the grift, I'm more worried about a new generation of kids who are being trained into not buying games. Giving no value to it, especially since they don't pay for the sub themselves.

Last edited:
It reminded me how little I appreciated it, so after a long, long subscription I cancelled it and haven't renewed it since. My Xbox Series X is currently in a bag somewhere in my house, where it has been since the beginning of November.

Jaybe

It reminded me how little I appreciated it, so after a long, long subscription I cancelled it and haven't renewed it since. My Xbox Series X is currently in a bag somewhere in my house, where it has been since the beginning of November.
I think GameStop had a promo for paying out $300 this week if you want to trade in that XSX. (If you are in the US).

reinking

Gold Member
I am letting both annual subs run out and not renewing. I am not saying I will never renew but I want to get back to just buying games I want to play and ignoring the garbage. I don’t want to feel “obligated” to download or try something because I am “already paying for it.” It is a great option for things I want to try but that is what monthly subs are for. Discounts made me feel like annual sub prices were a no-brainer. Full price made me evaluate my need for it.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I changed my account to PC Gamepass only for 10 bucks a month....maintaining my $120 a year price point.

Long as they release 2-3 good games that I play I consider it paid for. The year that they don't is the year I unsubscribe.

I've never cancelled my subscription fully.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Mine expires in October and I'm not planning on renewing. The quality has dipped a little and I'm planning on retiring from Microsoft Rewards (how I pay for GPU) which has just become too much of a hassle.

Jaybe

I changed my account to PC Gamepass only for 10 bucks a month....maintaining my $120 a year price point.

Long as they release 2-3 good games that I play I consider it paid for. The year that they don't is the year I unsubscribe.

I've never cancelled my subscription fully.

Out of curiosity, is there any reason you don’t simply cancel and just resubscribe those 2 to 3 times a year when a good game you are interested in releases?

I didn't renew because I just don't value games available on it. Case in point: I downloaded Vampire Survivor when it was on GP and gave it 10 minutes of my time. I bought it two days ago and I've already clocked 10 hours on it...

I recently had a family member say they wanted to play Diablo online with me, so I'll probably go back to GPU soon. I'm not spending $70 for games and I've only bought two games all year, so might as well go back to Game Pass.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I haven't actually paid for game pass for two years and I still have two years left on my sub and enough rewards points to extend for another two years after that. So the price increase hasn't hit me in a meaningful way yet.

When that's done I'll just subscribe when I want to play something that I don't want to buy.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Brady Bunch Jan GIF by MOODMAN
You think I made that up? I'm home now. Come on, I don't stop very long. I work hard.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I don't even have an opinion on the quality of the service, I just didn't re sub. I was barely using it as is.

Iced Arcade

wasn't going to resubscribe but ended up being gifted 2X 12 month core cards so I redeemed and converted to 18 months of ultimate.

honestly, I haven't touched my xbox in a long time.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Out of curiosity, is there any reason you don’t simply cancel and just resubscribe those 2 to 3 times a year when a good game you are interested in releases?
Well to be honest, I want Gamepass to stick around. It's already an incredible value and I play more than my fair share of games on the service. Sure I could save EVEN MORE MONEY by unsubbing and subbing again when the time is right, but the amount of money I would save is not as valuable as the idea of the service reaching a point where people can stop questioning is viability.

I don't think the service is flawless, mind you. I really don't think it helps Xbox to put every 1st party exclusive day and date on the service. I think that perk should be reserved for those who subscribe yearly. I also think there should be a short delay before they go into the service. Maybe 3 to 6 months. Give the games time to actually have some folks purchase it.

On the other hand, 3rd party games and Indie games I think could be a better play for day and date. I've discovered a lot of games I wouldn't have normally even considered through the service. So yea, hope that answers the question.

Certinty

I just used the same trick I did years ago which worked out at like £60-80 for three years worth of GPU.

I rarely touch my Series X as it is but once every few months at least with this there might be a game I'll want to at least give a go.

NickFire

I don’t have it but I see what gets released every month. I’ve felt the service improved in last year. You guys who have it did get some big name games at launch and now have Diablo (which I like).

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Use rewards - never paid a penny. Subbed till December 2026. Still have about 280,000 points to use will no doubt have more by then.

Last edited:
Top Bottom