• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's Halloween, post your favorite horror games

Yama

Obviously Biohazard is my first love, but I can never get enough of Fatal Frame II around this time of year.

IrishNinja

Hyunkel6 said:
Condemned 2: Bloodshot - Have been playing this for 2 days. My 1st horror game in a long while. I gave up on the 1st one, because of the creepy atmosphere, and I have a feeling that I will do the same for the 2nd one. Yet, I want to know how the story unfolds. :lol

you really don't, it's fucking awful by the end of it. i hated that game (past a choice level or two), which broke my heart since 1 was so great and outta nowhere.

all my favorites have been echoed here. its worth noting that im a horror fan, but have yet to finish a Fatal Frame game - i tell myself i keep quitting on 2 cause i hate the pacing (character runs so slooooooooow), but i try to play these things in the dark, and the game fucks with you.

Willenium

the only game I have ever played that was COMPLETELY scary THE ENTIRE WAY THROUGH was the first Fatal Frame for PS2. such a creepy setting and premise, and the little stories behind some of the set pieces (like the blinding mask) were really unsettling. VERY well-done horror game, IMO.

The_Dark_Eye_Coverart.png

The Dark Eye always scared the shit out of me. Of course my pussy quivers at the site of anything horror related. It was a pretty cool adventure game based on some of Poe's scariest shit with some major insanity and creepy character design.

The-Dark-Eye-1.jpg

kn4rf

Killing Floor is a pretty darn fun co-op survival horror game. Picked it up last weekend during a Steam sale. Some nice atmosphere in that one :)

(Friday the 13th also scared the heck out of me as a kid. LOL)

Vrakanox

Horror is my favorite genre and all my favorites have already been listed. Except maybe Silent Hill 4.

REmake and Silent Hill 2 are probably my favorites.

Love Fatal Frame and Siren.

So glad people mentioned Kuon. A great underrated survival horror that will sadly most likely never get a sequel.

MiniDitka

1GabUp said:
I don't know if you can really consider this an horor game but also :

usaboxart.jpg

What a strange atmosphere.
Indeed. While not having the best graphics the art style was fantastic.

NDVD_017-1.jpg

I'll go with

Dead Space
Eternal Darkness
Deadly Premonition
RE Remake
The Grudge

uvs091016-001.jpg

:O

epmode

More people need to try Amnesia. It's not the best horror game but it's definitely the best we've seen in several years!

Resident Evil is near the tops of the list for me. It was an amazing experience from start to finish. I'd also have to add Alone in the Dark 2, freaking green dude in the garden at the beginning still scares me. :lol

Also, I can't remember the name of the game, it must have been for PSX when you had to set traps in a castle or some shit. That game was creepy but I can't remember the name of it.

Max

I am not Max
Amnesia-The-Dark-Descent-Cover-Art.png

One of the greatest games I've ever played.

I really like Dead Space and Silent Hill 2 as well.

CiSTM said:
I really should play Clock Tower. Which version should I get PSX or Windows ?

Clock Tower PSX is actually Clock Tower 2, a direct sequel of the SNES game.It's good but if you can play one, play the SNES game.

I have to say that Penumbra really put the limit bar of scary games for me, that shit is creepy as hell...

As for my favorite(s) horror game(s), I'd say:

REmake and SH3

REmake it's the perfect blend of classic survival horror gameplay with awesome music and ambientation.It's the only RE game (along the original) that is truly scary,

And SH3, because is the most scary SH game, by far, some awesome moments, like the mirror will remain in my memory forever.Also is the best SH game, IMO, yeah SH2 have better narrative and plot, but for me SH3 is the best horror game of the two.

Four_Chamber said:
Also, I can't remember the name of the game, it must have been for PSX when you had to set traps in a castle or some shit. That game was creepy but I can't remember the name of it.

Kagero Deception saga.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
B00006C2HA.01.PT02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Used to play this on my laptop at night with headphones on in the dark. One of the scariest games I've ever played.

Zertez

Condemned 1/2
Clocktower- This is the only horror game Ive played that I had to play during the daytime due to nightmares when I played before going to bed :lol

kamspy said:
Amnesia The Dark Descent

Game is too good at being scary. I can never play for longer than a few minutes. Then my nerves are shot.
Truth.

At the pace i'm going i'll be playing this into next year. It's makes me so unnerved to continue, the entire game is designed to make you feel uncomfortable. It does this well almost too well, I can hardly bring myself to play it. GAF should have a all nighter let's play of the game on Halloween night.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Azure Phoenix said:
This. Haunting Ground is a wonderful and sadly overlooked gem. Not exactly scary but it has a creepy atmosphere, the chases are very tense and some of the death scenes are rather unpleasant.

Yeah, especially this scene which is very creepy.

Yuripaw

Banned
I know I have played some scary horror games in the past. I'm at a loss for really remembering what I like the most. I do love the Resident Evil series, but I think when it comes to scary horror...

Resident Evil 3 Nemesis is definitely up there from my memories, because whenever Nemesis is on your ass, it really did scare me. He's hard as hell to fight, so I wanted to get away a lot, but he really pursues you hardcore.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
A quick Question on RE Games
I haven't really played that many some of code veronica and Re4 wii which I want to work my way through again....

what is considered the definite Re Game is it 4, I have a 360 is 5 worth getting?

Yuripaw

Banned
jufonuk said:
A quick Question on RE Games
I haven't really played that many some of code veronica and Re4 wii which I want to work my way through again....

what is considered the definite Re Game is it 4, I have a 360 is 5 worth getting?
Really depends on who you ask. I have a friend who hates Resident Evil 4 and 5, because it changed the gameplay too much.

I personally enjoy Resident Evil 4 and 5, they're fun. RE4 is probably more scary than RE5 though. Most of the tension of RE5 would come from how difficult the enemies can be, but it's not really scary.

The older RE games, especially 1, 2 and 3 are much more about the boo scares. Zombies will jump out from closets, or windows. I mentioned RE3 in my previous post though, because in that game, you're constantly being chased by a ridiculously strong enemy. You can choose to fight him or not, but you don't always have the ammo to stand up to him, and I don't have the skills to take him down with the knife.

The older RE games may not stand up to some people because of the cheesy voice acting, especially in the original Resident Evil, however the Resident Evil remake on gamecube and wii is really good too, and is much more scary than the original. It's probably the best way to go, because it has the old school gameplay, but great production value, and is much more scary. The zombies can get much more ferocious in that game, and they'll still kinda "boo" scare you, but not in such a predicable way...I practically shit my pants when I saw a zombie come through a door the first time, lol because that was something they could NOT do in the previous games. Resident Evil Zero on gamecube/Wii is really good too.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Azure Phoenix said:
This. Haunting Ground is a wonderful and sadly overlooked gem. Not exactly scary but it has a creepy atmosphere, the chases are very tense and some of the death scenes are rather unpleasant.

I kinda find it terrifying. Very few games do the feeling of being stalked well and this one nails it.

kharma45

kamspy said:
Amnesia The Dark Descent

Game is too good at being scary. I can never play for longer than a few minutes. Then my nerves are shot.

I can't for the life of me find that game to buy anywhere online =[

Edit - Steam only? If so frig sake, I'll have to the weekend to get it as Steam doesn't work here at Uni.

sphinx

the piano man
This seems like the right place to ask.

Has anyone here played this game? Seems to be a "decent" horror game but haven't heard absolutely anything about it.

944894_114823_front.jpg

gfs_114823_1_1.jpg

gfs_114823_2_6.jpg

quickwhips

Just bought Condemned 1 and 2 off amazon for 3 dollars a piece. My wife asked me to get saw so I did that shit was 15.99 wtf. :lol

I love this thread so much. These are pretty much my favorite games ever, I'll put together a little post later on some of the gems missing so far (not many, good job gaf). About to check out Judith from the op, looking forward to it.

The Fatal Frame series, the Frictional stuff (Penumbra trilogy + Amnesia), and Resident Evil 1-3 are probably the scariest games I've played. I'm definitely jonesing for a replay of Fatal Frame 1/2 and Resident Evil 1.

I'm going to give Silent Hill: Shattered Memories a runner-up award, though. Fantastic, haunting atmosphere, but never particularly terrifying. Chase sequences get your blood pumping nonetheless.

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
probably Doom 3. I had such a hard time getting through that game because of the lack of being able to equip a flashlight while having a weapon out. Some really scary parts in that game.

Resident Evil was scary too. Especially when I was younger.

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
zombie crimes said:

:lol omg how could I forget?!

Diablo was out when I was pretty young. I remember putting the game down for a few weeks because it was just ridiculous. Played it on my family PC which was in my basement. I played so long once that it was like 10PM (late for a kid) and everyone in my house was sleeping and all the lights were off. From then on I only played during the day :lol

sphinx said:
This seems like the right place to ask.

Has anyone here played this game? Seems to be a "decent" horror game but haven't heard absolutely anything about it.

944894_114823_front.jpg

Is not an horror game though, the game is a visual adventure, it has a great sense of danger than most visual adventure games lacks, and the atmosphere is creepy, but not enough to call it horror game.

The game is good, with a few annoying problems that with some polish could have been fixed.
But the thing that shines over the rest is the plot since is really great and one of the best I've saw in a game...seriously is that good.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I've only played a little bit of Theresia, but from what I did, I can say that the atmosphere was very oppresive (in a good way).

Scary:
REmake
Fatal Frame 2
Silent Hill 1-3
Condemned

Not really scary but great for Halloween:
Castlevania series
Devil's Crush
House of the Dead 2
Hexen
Tecmo's Deception series
Shadowgate
The Malstrums' Mansion

MjFrancis

Ranger X said:
For me, it's Condemned by a country mile. Even the sequel had enough scares to keep me on edge, nonsensical supernatural story notwithstanding. There's something about the first-person perspective that makes everything so much better. I've been wanting to play Pnumbra, but I haven't got around to it quite yet. It looks like a potential usurper for being the scariest game I've ever played.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
CoachKevin said:
Loved playing this game on a snowy new england night last year. Best horror game I have ever played.

silenthillwiibox.jpg
Took way too long to post. One of the best games I've ever played, probably because of how amazing the storytelling is. One of the few games that really takes advantage of being a video game in terms of storytelling. Also, I was genuinely creeped out by the atmosphere in the game.

I want more from Climax Software.

RobertM

Azure Phoenix said:
The biggest accomplishment of this game was that there weren't any loading screens while going through different locations.

Rule of Rose is ok, need help with the first boss.

Teppic

Found this free adventure horror game a few years ago. It's called Missing.

A man is searching through a hotel for clues about his missing wife and son. It has a very eerie atmosphere and some pretty scary moments. Can't say I really liked how it all ended though.

EwyMP.png

z6C0D.png

Uploaded it to mediafire as I couldn't find it anywhere. (and it's hard to search for something named only "missing")
http://www.mediafire.com/?v4bmlko9c0ll667

Teppic said:
Found this free adventure horror game a few years ago. It's called Missing.

A man is searching through a hotel for clues about his missing wife and son. It has a very eerie atmosphere and some pretty scary moments. Can't say I really liked how it all ended though.

http://imgur.com/EwyMP.png

[IMG]http://imgur.com/z6C0D.png

Uploaded it to mediafire as I couldn't find it anywhere. (and it's hard to search for something named only "missing")
[url]http://www.mediafire.com/?v4bmlko9c0ll667[/url][/QUOTE]

This looks cool-- thank you.

Haunting Ground was awesome. So many great ideas that will never be expanded on anytime soon in a era dominated by generic shooters. It is the best out of the stalker horror games.

Top Bottom