• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"It's quickplay" and how to turn off all my interest in Overwatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

luulubuu

I agree with the all other people you're complaining about, it's quick play and you sound like a try hard. I mean if you care this much about trying to win in QP I can't imagine how annoying you must be in Ranked.

Please, show me where I have complained about any of the replies in this thread and also show me where I said that I care about ranks, because you got me curious now.

I feel the same way as the OP, and the sentiment isn't "you have to play the game perfectly in quickplay", its "don't actively try to ruin the game by being intentionally shitty." If you want to try a character you rarely or never play, certainly play them, BUT ACTUALLY PICK THEM IN THE RIGHT SCENARIO.

Don't fucking pick Torb on attack and go "lol I wanna learn him". Wait til a defense match. Don't pick Hanzo on attack (or defense for that matter) on a team that already has someone picking goddamn Widow and no one picking a tank. Instead of just playing 10 matches in a row with the one character you want and saying fuck off to any semblance of team comp or teamwork, pick four or five different characters you want to learn/improve, and rotate them around to help balance out the teams you are on.

Its the shit like that that makes quickplay and the "lol its quickplay" comments insufferable. Its just an excuse for pure unadulterated selfishness.

This presupposes that I know who is good on offense and who isn't, which I might not know because I haven't played them before. Plus maybe I want to learn Widow and there's always a person on my team who plays Widow. Should I just keep dropping out of matches and try to find one where nobody else is playing her and where I can try Widow and not be shit on by people insisting I "git gud" with her despite that being exactly what I'm trying to do?

Whenever I play I always try to help the team win, but sometimes I want to try a character out in a situation I haven't tried them out in before, and saying that I should have to spend a bunch of time trying to hunt down a match where I can do that without hurting somebody's feelings seems against the spirit of a "casual quick match" as well.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to get flamed for saying this, but the in-game community is the worst part of Overwatch. Sure there's salt and cursing in most online games, but nothing to the level of what you see in Overwatch. This is only one story among many, but I remember playing a competitive match where one player on our team was straight up livid that one of our teammates chose Soldier 76 instead of some other hero. For the entire match, this guy would just yell at and insult Soldier over voice chat.

"What are you doing dude?! If you're going to play Soldier at least use him properly!"
"Everyone tell this guy to switch off Soldier! What is this bullshit?!"
"You suck, why aren't you going for headshots?! Switch to someone else!"

It just went on and on and on until Soldier eventually just dropped out of the game. I can't say I blame him. We were actually winning most of the game but this guy would just not shut up, so eventually Soldier had enough and left, and we ended up losing.

I stopped playing Overwatch a couple months ago because I just couldn't put up with the community anymore. It's like no one is happy with you unless you play exactly how they want you to play. I just figured my free time is valuable and I would rather have fun than get yelled at for trying to enjoy myself.

luulubuu

This presupposes that I know who is good on offense and who isn't, which I might not know because I haven't played them before. Plus maybe I want to learn Widow and there's always a person on my team who plays Widow. Should I just keep dropping out of matches and try to find one where nobody else is playing her and where I can try Widow and not be shit on by people insisting I "git gud" with her despite that being exactly what I'm trying to do?

Whenever I play I always try to help the team win, but sometimes I want to try a character out in a situation I haven't tried them out in before, and saying that I should have to spend a bunch of time trying to hunt down a match where I can do that without hurting somebody's feelings seems against the spirit of a "casual quick match" as well.

The community or it's excellent or it's bad, but I think it happens in all places, you are doing exactly what I expect from the mode, I cheer people who kill me or do good stuff, I also advert the team when I picking a character I'm not good with or I'm not in the best moment.

I try people to have fun, I don't understand people who are trying to ruin others experience, that's all

Umm yea no thanks. I'll do whatever I want on quick play.
100% attack mercy? You betcha
Torb on attack only using my single shot to get better with it? You're goddamn right
Sym no turrets. Straight vacuum? Fucking right doggy.
Sombra? Come on man don't throw the game!! Atleast try lol.

Seriously tho you are a dick if you reported ppl in qp for not playing how you want. Idc if they just stand in the base spinning in circles. It's fuckin quick play.

luulubuu

Torb on attack only using my single shot to get better with it? You're goddamn right

Seriously tho you are a dick if you reported ppl in qp for not playing how you want. Idc if they just stand in the base spinning in circles. It's fuckin quick play.

I never report such things. Read my posts before calling me out.

Dargor

I'm going to get flamed for saying this, but the in-game community is the worst part of Overwatch. Sure there's salt and cursing in most online games, but nothing to the level of what you see in Overwatch. This is only one story among many, but I remember playing a competitive match where one player on our team was straight up livid that one of our teammates chose Soldier 76 instead of some other hero. For the entire match, this guy would just yell at and insult Soldier over voice chat.

"What are you doing dude?! If you're going to play Soldier at least use him properly!"

It just went on and on and on until Soldier eventually just dropped out of the game. I can't say I blame him. We were actually winning most of the game but this guy would just not shut up, so eventually Soldier had enough and left, and we ended up losing.

I stopped playing Overwatch a couple months ago because I just couldn't put up with the community anymore. It's like no one is happy with you unless you play exactly how they want you to play. I just figured my free time is valuable and I would rather have fun than get yelled at for trying to enjoy myself.

You should simply do what I do, don't care about anything any random is saying and if the randoms getting a little too crazy, I just mute him.

WesFX

Neo Member
Too anxious to lose in ranked, too competitive to lose in unranked.

Work on having fun while losing. Play of the game, best on your team; it's the small victories :)

Triteon

I don't know if this is a recent trend or not, but in games like NBA 2K and CoD, I find more and more that people just don't care about winning. I'm not going to solely say it's the younger generation, but it seems like they are typically the ones that don't care if they win or lose. I fear some may focus on getting great Reddit or YouTube clips instead of actually wanting to play.

For those of us that always play to win (because winning is more fun), this is incredibly frustrating. I actually gave up playing 2K recently because I found that the majority of the community just didn't care.

This isn't true of OV because no kills but I generally couldn't give a fuck if my team wins in COD or Titanfall or whatever I just want my K/D ratio to be tight, or my points to be good. If that means not trying to take a point because its a meat grinder so be it.

Actually it might be true of OV in different ways they might give themselves other goals, or decide they want to kill that asshole playing Hanzo or whatever.

poodaddy

Wait you report people for not playing to your standards in a video game? Seriously? I mean I report people on occasion, but it's generally more for sending me salty insults cursing me out after I won a match on a fighting game; but I can't imagine being reported over....not being good enough or not being competitive enough in a quickplay match.

What is up with Overwatch players?

edbrat

if you get riled up by the possibility that people on your team aren't playing properly (whatever that means, and often you're wrong) then the only way round this is to only play with people you know.

Solo q is the fucking badlands but it's the same for everyone, the only way I can play it and stay sane is to adopt a zen like acceptance state where I don't break shit if I lose.

luulubuu

I read them. I haven't seen specifics. Exactly what things are report worthy to you.

I said what I report, look further.

Wait you report people for not playing to your standards in a video game? Seriously? I mean I report people on occasion, but it's generally more for sending me salty insults cursing me out after I won a match on a fighting game; but I can't imagine being reported over....not being good enough or not being competitive enough in a quickplay match.

What is up with Overwatch players?

I never said that I don't know where you got the idea from, you should read the rest of the post before jumping in conclusions

OP would hate me

If the enemy waves and tries to make peace with me in Overwatch, I cease fire all the time.

Lol why I would hate you for that? I do that all the time in skirmish.

nachum00

I play Quick Play all the time and I always try my hardest to win. But I don't get pissed at my teammates because I'm not a jerk. However I've experienced many assholes in the voice chat talk shit about everyone and criticize everyone but themselves. Those people are the real problem with multiplayer games.

Most people that complain about team comp in quick play refuse to switch themselves, its kinda funny.

Noiidea why anyone would report in quick play considering 3/6 normally instant lock in, its just lucky d.va and roadhog are fun since your either forced to be tank or healer due to instant lockers.

Its a fun dumb game.

I kind of agree with you, most people seem to think they are the priority and glue of the team. Many people playing also are under the belief they know what characters, composition, and strategies are best. This leads to everything not working as their focus is on being right instead of adaptation.

I need healing!

You and everyone else who is rushing into the point alone repeatedly.

Black_Red

Lol, sometimes I play my worst characters on quick play just for laughs with my friends "who does the less damage when actually trying to win?".

Same thing in lol "Let's play a team with 5 characters that have red eyes"

That's what quickplay/normals are for, to try characters, and to have fun. When we are 4 a random will get caught on that team, most of the team and usually they'll join the fun

luulubuu

I play Quick Play all the time and I always try my hardest to win. But I don't get pissed at my teammates because I'm not a jerk. However there's been multiple I've had assholes in the voice chat talk shit about everyone and criticize everyone but themselves. Those people are the real problem with multiplayer games.

Yeah that's the problem, like of course you will lose some times even if you try and it could be that you are not as good, I never claimed I'm better as any of my teammates, but those behaviours are the ones I'm complaining "git gud" "shut up its qp"

I change my role if it's necessary, I goof and play around and greet everyone, I just don't like people who throw and try to make people to lose, plus the guys who are toxic in the chat, that't the main problem.

I also said that I was wrong about Competitive but my main fear was to ruin other's because, and I said this several times now, I'm not as good and I feared to shit other's placement matches and progress, looks like it's way more flexible than I thought, but maybe the mode, as Blizzard stated, could be more focused in promote itself as what it is:

A quick match with no ranked penalties or benefits.

This is a bit subjective and everyone can have a take of what it means and how is correctly to approach it, as Blizzard has yet to make a statement on it, everyone's take in the mode is correct.

I think the mode could use some tweaks and offer some custom searchs for people who wants different types of matches with no repercussions, with some requierements and harder penalties for leaving, etc. I think that's the way to do it.

lol I should report you for not conducting this the way I want ;)

Nice self own btw.

QP is meant to experiment exotic stuff, like playing a full match as Battle Mercy DPS or trying more in depht that one character you only picked 5 minutes over 200h. All that while singing in the mic , emote dancing from time to time and mildly trying to stay around the payload.

HAHa I love this. It would be like playing a pick up game of basketball and actually caring if you won or lost. If you care so much then join an amateur league. Same with Overwatch, I do play to win but it's also where I go to learn new characters, and try out strats. If we lose then so what, go to competitive if you care so much.

zenspider

Was just re-downloading Overwatch for the umpteenth time to pop back in after the new changes - OP reminded me why I deleted it so many times.

It's like a side of coleslaw - after a while a forget I don't like it.

luulubuu

QP is meant to experiment exotic stuff, like playing a full match as Battle Mercy DPS or trying more in depht that one character you only picked 5 minutes over 200h. All that while singing in the mic , emote dancing from time to time and mildly trying to stay around the payload.

I don't have any complaints about any of these, never stated otherwise.

HAHa I love this. It would be like playing a pick up game of basketball and actually caring if you won or lost. If you care so much then join an amateur league. Same with Overwatch, I do play to win but it's also where I go to learn new characters, and try out strats. If we lose then so what, go to competitive if you care so much.

You just said everything I have being saying all these 6 pages.

TwiztidElf

It's Quick Play
¯\ _(ツ) _ /¯
LxWP0n7.png

I'm a bad player. I don't play comp. I play video games to have fun. Quick Play is awesome, even when people are horsing around. I guess they should be in arcade, but ¯\ _(ツ) _ /¯

Velikost

Most of the fanbase are just cringelords who want to unlock costumes or "ship" characters & draw weird fan art. The game isn't even competitively viable atm, so honestly you can't be mad at them for not caring about winning or getting better.

Play a good shooter instead OP, crisis averted.

Jimm

I feel your pain man.

I play quick play to get better with characters I know and also try new ones, but always I try my hardest to win even if I'm playing someone I've only spent a few hours with. I like having fun and trying to find new combos or places on the map for certain characters and I have a lot of fun in qp... I just hate when people deliberately don't play to win.

It's infuriating when people throw matches to goof off that's what the arcade modes are for... The only way to train for comp is quick play and it sucks when it's full of people that don't want to win.

Mozendo

I want to play with you

Kureransu

I'm completely fine with people playing the way they want in Quick Play. Have fun and play the way you see fit. I understand your complaint, but you have to understand that the other team run the same odds of having similar players on your team, so it's a balance. I feel like for a lot of people winning validates their fun, so they feel they have to win. it's kinda like enjoying the journey vs the destination. Winning a game playing support but absolutely hating the whole time you played because it's what the team needed isn't really fun.

The bigger issue is that people are intimidated by ranked. there are people who only want to win, but have no desire to see their losses posted along with the wins so they stay away from ranked, but keep the same mindset. Heck I play on the league of legends beta servers and people are were so obnoxious they had to take out draft mode because people would ban the new champs.... WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT ON THE BETA SERVERS!?!?! The is to beta test the new champions lol.

aeolustl

I don't play OW as much now because I can't even learn how to use a hero in QP. I have to go to arcade to learn. But last time I played Mayhem mode, a guy called me out using Pharah. That's the first time I really tried to use her. I mean I'm just a causal player and I just want a good time when I'm playing OW, but I can't even enjoy it anymore. And this is not happening on PC, but PS4.

Where do you want me to practice OP?

Slurmer

Banned
I am someone who says "it's just quickplay" and it is always because someone on my team is raging at another teammate for playing poorly or picking a character they don't agree with. I'd rather everyone have fun and lose then someone have to placate a toxic player and win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom