• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ITT - We post moody, captivating concept art

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
this thread is incredible.
contributing:

Guild Wars 2

guild_wars_2_13.jpg

guild_wars_2_07.jpg

guild_wars_2_05.jpg

and the game actually lives up to the concept art from what I've seen.

I'm actually an aspiring concept artist, here's something I'm working on now:

sam_envirox%20copy.jpg

tower-2.jpg

also there's a shit ton of amazing concept art here
though not all of it's from games. (stuff like the new Star Trek, District 9, etc)

and here: www.conceptart.org
wes burt and jason chan are particular faves.

Kodiak said:
this thread is incredible.
contributing:

Guild Wars 2

http://conceptartworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/guild_wars_2_13.jpg
http://conceptartworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/guild_wars_2_07.jpg
http://conceptartworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/guild_wars_2_05.jpg

and the game actually lives up to the concept art from what I've seen.

I'm actually an aspiring concept artist, here's something I'm working on now:

sam_envirox%20copy.jpg

tower-2.jpg

also there's a shit ton of amazing concept art here
though not all of it's from games. (stuff like the new Star Trek, District 9, etc)

and here: www.conceptart.org
wes burt and jason chan are particular faves.

Nice job.

DR2K

Banned
Damn it, I'm trying to find the Blazeblue pic of Litchi facing a beautiful Chinese scenery.

rexor0717

Warhawk
warhawk-ps3-20060508080852861.jpg

This makes me wish the game had a single player campaign. Its unfortunate that they had
to scrap it. It could have been something epic.

Cep

Banned
It took 50 replies to get the king of concept art on here, and not even some of the better ones.

jbueno

Great stuff posted so far. But to add something, I always loved The Darkness concept art, specially the WWI pieces. Two of my favorites:

bwfth.jpg

16bexxi.jpg

I love that fan-made SotC art, as well as the Persona 3 one. Perhaps I'm one of the few, but I personally like Amano's artwork of Lightning.

basis

RadioHeadAche said:
What is that from, and is it even concept art?

An old title that got canceled way too early.
Red Storm Entertainment's UFS Vanguard.

Was supposed to be a starship tactical combat simulator.

Sutanreyu

The original DMC had some great concept art (well... the whole series). The art just goes to show the intent on making the original scary in terms of environment. You wouldn't want to walk into these places unless you were something special -- enter Dante.

It emanates this feeling of him on this massive undertaking of exploring some crazy, demonic castle.

16a718m.jpg

2qtyb7s.jpg

2qb6f4l.jpg

hu277s.jpg

28un1tt.jpg

Concept art always ends up looking so much more interesting and stylish than the finished product in a lot of cases.

At least, I think so.

Danielsan

Sutanreyu said:
The original DMC had some great concept art (well... the whole series). The art just goes to show the intent on making the original scary in terms of environment. You wouldn't want to walk into these places unless you were something special -- enter Dante.

It emanates this feeling of him on this massive undertaking of exploring some crazy, demonic castle.

http://i43.tinypic.com/16a718m.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/2qtyb7s.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/2qb6f4l.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/hu277s.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/28un1tt.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Capcom needs to wake up a realize that the missing ingredient in its sequels (lets not even talk about DMC2) was the original horror roots shining through.
Then again, there was a lot more wrong with DMC4 than that...

The Capcom of today is makes me sad. :(

Willy105 said:
Not to post more Epic Mickey, but...

1297211-the_last_story_concept_art.jpg

It's the one that came to mind in recent memory. I would actually like to see a Final Fantasy game in all it's original style glory.

Yoshitaka Amano is the fucking king.

-PXG-

I want a game that looks exactly like the concept art. One day. ONE DAY. I want that to happen.

I'm working on a game now that just might do that :)

Danielsan said:
The Capcom of today is makes me sad. :(
You're just sulking over Clover, don't try and deny it. :lol
Capcom are the only Japanese dev, sans S-E I guess, that gets it to some degree. Japanese development of today makes me sad. :( But then I switch on my DS and play Infinite Space and I honestly don't give a fuck.
Speaking of Infinite Space, I would swear that this was art for the game unless told otherwise.

Yoshitaka Amano is the fucking king.
What's the appeal? Or is it just the traditional Japanese art thing that gets people hard? I'm all for that I just don't find his humans to be very interesting to look at. The faces are all pretty much the same. His clothing and apparel designs are quite good though I guess, but overall I'm not getting the "fucking king" comments at all.

-PXG- said:
I'm working on a game now that just might do that :)
-PXG-
-liar-
(Today, 12:02 AM)

Unless your art is pixels or 3D models...>.> Prove me wrong!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Yoshitaka Amano - Front Mission

257dqh1.jpg

Holy shit at that Demon's sould artwork, it's amazing!

I kinda like Mini Ninjas artworks, they are very simplistic yet brilliant:

3425820407_6f712c5d41_b.jpg

This could very well also be a skybox in the game, becaus the game had awesome skyboxes.

Mini-Ninjas-artwork-1.jpg

3794948610_fce5a8154b_b.jpg

Again, so simplistic yet full of ninjaness.

mini_ninjas_conceptart_0WcI3.jpg

There's tons of these, and they all rock.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I love how people read "concept art" and forget to read the OP ...

Anyways, for me personally:

The Last Story (Wii):

column_02_bg.jpg

Who knows if the game will live up to the concept art, but that is stunning. Great shapes, contrast and color palette

I should be doing hw said:
What's the appeal? Or is it just the traditional Japanese art thing that gets people hard? I'm all for that I just don't find his humans to be very interesting to look at. The faces are all pretty much the same. His clothing and apparel designs are quite good though I guess, but overall I'm not getting the "fucking king" comments at all.

000kkxz6

VHD.Amano.JPG

%5Blarge%5D%5BAnimePaper%5Dscans_Yoshitaka-Amano_hechicero(0.73)__THISRES__155216.jpg

2035925198_b8158c5242_o.jpg

mijkf8.jpg

I suppose a lot of his character art can come off as quick scribbles. I just love the exotic and striking looks on their faces. The poses and the slight abstract looks. They're other-wordly.
I mean, I'm not saying he is THE BEST. I can't really choose. So many artists I love, but they all offer something different and something pretty to my eyes.
Take Quentin Blake for example.

twits.jpg

This is simply amazing. I guess it's easy to say how shit it looks, but damn. He does an amazing job of making them look so filthy, dirty and corrupt and ugly. With just a bunch of scribbles. That's amazing.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Although not game-related, here are some Amano pics that makes me think he's a god (pic-ified from previous post). :D

j1234j.jpg

27wslna.jpg

28lw4jp.jpg

zoukka

Yeah Amano is one of the few people in high budget VG scene who create genuinely good art for concepts and not just technical illustrations. They are really hard to follow though...

255nbbm.jpg

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Okay can we fucking stop with the Amano nonsense and stick to the thread, fuckkk.

(dont mean to be a dick and I love Amano as much as the next guy, but way to mess up the thread)

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Patchwork Heroes (buy this game you jerks):
pwh_1.jpg

Large size

I've always been enamored with this interpretation of Galaxian. Winged space robot vikings? Awesome.
b_Galaxian_front.jpg

Prince of Persia: Warrior Within had some fantastic stuff:
boat%20cemetary.jpg

prince-of-persia-warrior-within-20041116045645261_screen001.jpg

prince-of-persia-2-2004-20040802024324734_screen001.jpg

ULTROS!

I'll never forget FFXII's concept art:

55goi0.jpg

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Ok I'm starting to get his appeal now, that looks awesome :lol
Still not a fan of his human character work though.
Same here. I appreciate what he does and he has awesome technique but his human art is the weakest aspect of his work imo.

I'd love to see his art being properly realized in a game but as things stand I don't really find his pieces fit to game design with the current technology being employed. I'd probably be pissed to work with him if I was a 3D modeler or something, lol.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Fuu said:
I'd love to see his art being properly realized in a game but as things stand I don't really find his pieces fit to game design with the current technology being employed. I'd probably be pissed to work with him if I was a 3D modeler or something, lol.
It'll never fit. I love the guy as an traditional artist, but his style is far too dependent on wispy flowing forms and negative space filled with incorporeal designs and ornamentation for it to ever be functionally reproduced in a game. The only way I could ever see it being faithfully captured is as some sort of Linger in Shadows type thing, basically just a visualizer.

Can we please make ignoring the OP bannable? We're going to wish we did when this thread is 20 pages long with 10 of them being "what is that from" reposts and random Amano art book scans.

Shame the game didn't turn out as hoped...But this concept art from Lair is awesome:

2007-231-lg.jpg

And Killzone 2, the universe has some of the best iconography, hope they use it more in 3

62653.jpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Dubbedinenglish said:
And Killzone 2, the universe has some of the best iconography, hope they use it more in 3

Killzone art looks nice, but I'd probably find it more interesting if the Helgast werent essentially future Nazis.

Top Bottom