• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ITT: We post screens that showcase the visual charisma lost by modern Simpsons

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATF487

Darunia said:
lennypunch.jpg

First thing tomorrow morning, I'm going to punch Lenny in the back of the head!

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Ya know, a town with money is a little like the mule with a spinning wheel. No one knows how he got it and danged if he knows how to use it!

Homer: Your old meat made me sick!
Apu: Oh, I'm so sorry. (pulls out pail of shrimp) Please accept five pounds of frozen shrimp?
Homer: (grabs a shrimp) This shrimp isn't frozen! And it smells funny.
Apu: OK, ten pounds.
Homer: Woo hoo!
(shot of ambulance)

:lol

Threi

notag
NameGenerated said:
Ya know, a town with money is a little like the mule with a spinning wheel. No one knows how he got it and danged if he knows how to use it!
lol mule

Aaron Strife said:
Homer: Your old meat made me sick!
Apu: Oh, I'm so sorry. (pulls out pail of shrimp) Please accept five pounds of frozen shrimp?
Homer: (grabs a shrimp) This shrimp isn't frozen! And it smells funny.
Apu: OK, ten pounds.
Homer: Woo hoo!
(shot of ambulance)

:lol
was that the same episode where homer wore the giant hat with the camera in it, caught footage of apu putting a hot dog that dropped on the floor back in the heating unit, and then he went and bought it?

Threi said:
was that the same episode where homer wore the giant hat with the camera in it, caught footage of apu putting a hot dog that dropped on the floor back in the heating unit, and then he went and bought it?
yes :lol

Marvie_3

Banned
Figured I'd post one of my favorite animation goofs. It's from the season 10 episode "Lard of the Dance". Marge is dancing and for a split second her eyes go way off. Didn't notice it at first, but now I can't help but notice.....:lol
2ppg39y.jpg

legend166

beelzebozo said:
this was relegated to one or two seasons, i think, wasn't it? 4 & 5 maybe? i took it as one of the proclivities of a particular writer or showrunner, much like the "montage of funny repeated lines going through someone's head as ghostly images circle around them" thing ("lisa's first word," "last exit to springfield," etc.)

That was less of a joke and more of a time wasting device, haha. They did it when the episode ran too short. It was a David Mirkin specialty.

legend166

Threi said:
lol mule

Apu: Well, time to replenish the hot dog roller. La, la -- oops
[drops a hot dog] Oh, no -- it is encrusted with filth. [blows
it off] Oh well, let's sell it anyway. Now this is just between
me and you...smashed hat. Hee hee --

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
I love this line
DeadTrees said:
Skinner: [walking up in leiderhosen] Oh, relax, kids, I've got a _gut_
feeling Uter is around here somewhere. [chuckles] After all,
isn't there a little _Uter_ in all of us? [chuckles] In fact,
you might even say we just _ate_ Uter and he's in our
_stomachs_ right now! [laughs] Wait...scratch that one.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
seat said:
:lol I remember the day after this episode debuted I was talking about it at school with some friends. My Spanish teacher commented on how the ending seriously disturbed her. Great times.
The 3d episode disturbed me for quite some time. I can't remember why.

Blader

NameGenerated said:

Is there a chance the track could bend?

Not on your life, my Hindu friend!

From Lisa' Sax:

TV: That's damn fine coffee you got here in Twin Peaks! And damn good cherry pie! [On the screen, a man dances with a horse under a tree, from which a stop light hangs. They dance to the saxophone music being played.]
Homer: Brilliant! [laughs] I have absolutely no idea what's going on.
Marge: Homer, I want you to look at this drawing Bart did!
Homer: [faking excitement, watching TV] Oh, it's beautiful! Oh, oh, let's put Bart's beautiful drawing up on the fridge!
Marge: Homer, stop. Will you please look at the drawing?
Homer: Oh, all right. What.....aaah!! Burn it! Send it to hell!
Marge: I think we're going to have to get Bart some help.
Homer: Get it away!

Sleeker

MorisUkunRasik said:
The Simpsons went from one of the best shows on television to one of the worst. I'm still hoping it gets canceled so that the series will get released in a boxset sooner.

That box set wouldn't fit on any shelf.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
speedpop said:
No idea if anyone else loved this moment but in the episode Springfield Files with Burns as that hokey'd up alien wannabe, and Homer is running through the forest near the start of the episode right after the DIE/DIET ad billboard moment.

fkblvq.jpg

Comes across Grandpa and he quickly mumbles "oh son I'm glad to see you! I went for the morning paper and I got lost!" and Homer pushes him off and goes "NO TIME FOR YOU OLD MAN!" and keeps running.

I have no idea why I love that moment or why I still continually to this day utter the same phrase whenever I can.

18g6rq.jpg

also from The Springfield files

2due5ab.jpg

2cxwxuo.jpg

Alex

Can't get a good picture without popping DVD's in, but I always loved Homer's open-mouth-full-of-food completely DIABOLICAL laugh during "When Flanders Failed" after the wishbone pull

bhxh6v.jpg

If I knew how, I would totally get my S3 box out and make a .gif of it.

AniHawk

Watching the 138th episode spectacular, it's amazing to me that this show ever got as good as it did. Talk about humble beginnings. I can't believe the first season was ever considered controversial.

CiSTM

Banned
I really can't get enough of simpsons :lol I just blew through seasons 1-10 in one week... And now I just started all over again with my friend. This show doesn't get old.

AniHawk

CiSTM said:
I really can't get enough of simpsons :lol I just blew through seasons 1-10 in one week... And now I just started all over again with my friend. This show doesn't get old.

It really doesn't. I was rewatching season 7 and there are jokes that I'm still catching, and it's probably the 30th or 40th time I've seen these particular episodes (without exaggeration).

Having a DVD collection of a season is pretty great since you're now able to pause and see all the jokes that would only be on screen for a fraction of a section. In Two Bad Neighbors, Bart shreds Bush's memoirs. Scraps of paper go flying all over the place, and only one flies in front of the "camera" so close that you can read it, but it's only there for a frame or two and reads "V.P. Quayle ... embarrassment"

Alex

I'm going through Season 3 now, man, talk about one of the best seasons of a show ever made. The writers were firing on all cylinders that year.

Almost all of these episodes have a very inspired, emotional grounding to them as well. Something that just doesn't seem to be pulled off anymore in TV animation.

Gagaman

Why is it so hard to find these earlier episodes on the TV anymore? I can't say for Sky One as I don't have it, but Channel 4 every weekday just keeps showing the same boring episodes over and over, like that one where they all go to the SuperBowl, I must of been that 100 times but it's so dull. I really need to get some of the box sets.

CiSTM

Banned
Some cool moments from episode Bart Sells His Soul

Homer: Hey Marge, remember when we used to make out to this hymn?
ayot1s.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lovejoy: Wait a minute. This looks like rock and/or roll.
2yxrmn8.jpg

15r0aci.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bart: You shank! How could you tell on me?

Milhouse: Well I don't want hungry birds pecking my soul forever.

Bart: Soul? Come on, Milhouse, there is no such thing as a soul. It's just something they made up to scare kids, like the bogeyman, or Michael Jackson.

Milhouse: But every religion says there's a soul, Bart. Why would they lie? What would they have to gain?
ak8kdz.jpg

Lovejoy: I don't hear scrubbing!
2ykdhl2.jpg

Bart: Well, if your soul is real, where is it?

Milhouse: It's kind of in here. And when you sneeze, that's your soul trying to escape. Saying "God bless you" crams it back in! And when you die, it squirms out and flies away.

Bart: Uh huh. What if you die in a submarine at the bottom of the ocean?

Milhouse: Oh, it can swim. It's even got wheels in case you die in the desert and it has to drive to the cemetery.
xbidls.jpg

Hibbert: All right, where would you kids like to eat tonight?

Kid 1: The Spaghetti Laboratory!

Kid 2: Face Stuffers!

Kid 3: Professor P. J. Cornucopia's Fantastic Foodmagorium and Great American Steakery!
2cr22id.jpg

Hibbert: Well, what about this place? "Moe's".

Barney:Aah! Natural light! Get it off me...get it off me!
33vhv91.jpg

Moe: Oh, everybody is going to family restaurants these days, tsk. Seems nobody wants to hang out in a dank pit no more.

Carl: You ain't thinking of getting rid of the dank, are you, Moe?

Moe: Ehh, maybe I am.
fbjqk7.jpg

Carl: Oh, but Moe: the dank. The dank!
v7r1uc.jpg

Moe: Yeah, family restaurants. That's where the big bucksare. I could turn this joint into a place where you wouldn't be ashamed to bring your family, huh?

Homer: I'm not ashamed.

Moe: Hey, put a coaster under that.
2h4yerr.jpg

Moe: So, come on: I need a name that says friendly, all-American cooking.

Homer: How about, "Chairman Moe's Magic Wok"?

Barney: I like it!

Moe: Mmm, nah. I want something that says people can have a nice relaxing time.

Homer: I got it! "Madman Moe's Pressure Cooker"!

Barney: I like it!

Moe: Hey! How about, "Uncle Moe's Family Feedbag"?

Barney: I hate it.
15z0fp0.jpg

Moe: Oh, boy! The deep fryer's here. Heh heh, I got it used from the navy. You can flash-fry a buffalo in forty seconds.

Homer: Forty seconds? But I want it now!
29gncwy.jpg

Milhouse: Cover me, Sarge! I'm going after Bart's soul!
103beox.jpg

Milhouse: If the Ayatollah can't have it, no one can.
15my7ad.jpg

Moe: Here you go! Here I am! Uncle Moe -- thank you, ma'am! This'll be a treat: Uncle

Moe! Here I am, while you eat!

Moe: Please take the fries off my head, kid. The basket is extremely hot.
33cccg1.jpg

fm86r7.jpg

Bart: Well, finally! A little luck
2wfl5zs.jpg

(after few pedal strokes)
14ihbh0.jpg

Laughs maniacally
ejihxz.jpg

And of course happy ending.
2n9aq7l.jpg

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Bart Sells His Soul is tied with Summer of 4 ft. 2 as my all time favorite Simpsons episode. It's perfect

Watched Homer the Heretic, some caps

heretic1.png
heretic2.png
heretic3.png
heretic4.png
heretic5.png
heretic8.png
heretic9.png

fisheyes

It took me a ridiculously long time to get the association between the "Why would they lie Bart? What would they have to gain?" line and the change sorting. I mean, I got that "what they had to gain" would refer to money, but never made the association with the fact that Lovejoy was actually sorting obscene amounts of money directly after.

...I did always get the Prune Tracy joke that was mentioned before that went over so many heads before though. So I do feel a little better about myself and my joke understanding abilities. As long as those jokes are dick jokes.

CiSTM

Banned
Darunia said:
Bart Sells His Soul is tied with Summer of 4 ft. 2 as my all time favorite Simpsons episode. It's perfect

Watched Homer the Heretic, some caps

heretic4.png

Homer's experssion makes me laugh every time. And Marge looking at him in the bed makes it even funnier :lol

Some stuff from Radio man episode:

Assistant: All right, we have $30 million to spend.

Quimby: We'll blow up our dams, destroy forests, anything! If there's a species of animal that's causing problems nosing around your camera, we'll have it wiped out!

Director: Look! We just want to make movies, not kill things.

Wiggum: Riight, we understand, heh.
2rpaafm.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bart: Look behind you, Radioactive Man! The sun is exploding again!

Marge: Bart, why are you talking like that?

Homer: Yeah, and who the hell are you talking to? Marge, do you have other men in this house? Radioactive men?
2vxgcjq.jpg

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
legend166 said:
That was less of a joke and more of a time wasting device, haha. They did it when the episode ran too short. It was a David Mirkin specialty.

i don't think that's fair, as it is a pretty damn hilarious parody of that scene from psycho, and they continually found ways to make it funny.

Alex said:
I'm going through Season 3 now, man, talk about one of the best seasons of a show ever made. The writers were firing on all cylinders that year.

Almost all of these episodes have a very inspired, emotional grounding to them as well. Something that just doesn't seem to be pulled off anymore in TV animation.

i could not agree with this more. season 3 is godly. i could (and do) watch every episode in that set over and over and never get tired of it. the humor and the emotion is so balanced.

it's perfect comedic television.

beelzebozo said:
i could not agree with this more. season 3 is godly. i could (and do) watch every episode in that set over and over and never get tired of it. the humor and the emotion is so balanced.

it's perfect comedic television.
I disagree. Imo the balance between emotion and comedy isn't there just quite yet. Some episodes of season 3 still are too melodramatic sometimes, and there are quite a few stinkers. Especially "Mr Lisa goes to Washington" comes to mind. The first time I rewatched that episode after a long time, I was surprised by how awful it was. It's not so much that I disagree with the message it brought, but by the way it was done. Lisa's emotions, the speeches from all the children, the way the corrupt politician gets what was coming to him, ... All of this would've been done (subtly) different in the later seasons to make it less like a Full House of Family Matters scenario. I'm not too fond of other season 3 episodes like "Lisa the greek" either.

For me it goes like this:

Season 1-2:
rarely watch them. Animations and voice work are a bit too quirky, and humor is often absent. Still, it's better than 99% of all tv material. Looking at the episode list there's still a great amount of good stuff like "Three men and a comic book" or "The war of the Simpsons".

Season 3:
first season that has some true classics like "Homer at the Bat", but it still has some episodes that remind me of the previous two seasons, like the ones I mentioned earlier.

Season 4-5-6-7-8:
Absolute classics. Truly amazing television. The character development and consistency is at its best here. Insanely funny jokes, mixed perfectly with touching stories. "Marge vs the monorail", "Homer the vigilante", "Lisa on Ice", "Threehouse of horror V" (best treehouse episode), "Homie the clown", And maggie makes three, "22 short films about Springfield", "You only move twice", .... I'll stop now cause I could list just about every episode from those seasons, but these jump to my mind.

Season 9-10-11:
gradual fall of quality. Quite a few enjoyable episodes and some classics (like "the cartridge family") in season 9, less in 10, even less in 11. From season 9 I start selecting the eps that I want to watch and the ones I don't.

Season 12 to 20:
absolute crap with some decent episodes once in a while. As stand alone episodes they probably are all fine (the argument used by all the people who don't really like the Simpsons anyway and therefore give us a hard time for complaining), but when you know the history of the show, the characters, the stories, ... It's traumatizing to see how they rape it all with every new episode.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Souldriver said:
I disagree. Imo the balance between emotion and comedy isn't there just quite yet. Some episodes of season 3 still are too melodramatic sometimes, and there are quite a few stinkers. Especially "Mr Lisa goes to Washington" comes to mind. The first time I rewatched that episode after a long time, I was surprised by how awful it was. It's not so much that I disagree with the message it brought, but by the way it was done. Lisa's emotions, the speeches from all the children, the way the corrupt politician gets what was coming to him, ... All of this would've been done (subtly) different in the later seasons to make it less like a Full House of Family Matters scenario. I'm not too fond of other season 3 episodes like "Lisa the greek" either.

yeah, i love both these episodes.

"we the purple? what the hell?"

"i love your magazine. my favorite section is increase your word power. that section is really, really, really, really. . . good."
". . . well good."

plus, the parody of how slowly justice can be carried out at the end of "mr. lisa goes to washington" always cracks me up. the entire process of convicting the corrupt senator takes ten minutes tops in the show's time. i think you're letting the "message" get in the way of the humor, which is really what's important. i don't think there's anything overly preachy here; anything that seems like it may be so is actually a parody of the things which you mention (full house and family matters, or other family shows where this sort of stuff happens).

plus, the pictures portraying springfield forest BEFORE the proposed deforestation:

2z5jhhw.jpg

aaaaaaaaaaaaand here you see the after

10df807.jpg

i love the rabbit and raccoon having tea :lol

but again, this is all highly subjective, as it's a different sort of show, and much more subtle and not as forthright and jokey as subsequent seasons. i can totally see how you'd enjoy 4-6 more than 3.

i just don't.

Grug

beelzebozo said:
i don't think that's fair, as it is a pretty damn hilarious parody of that scene from psycho, and they continually found ways to make it funny.

It was just vapor lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom