• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ITT: We post screens that showcase the visual charisma lost by modern Simpsons

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend whipped this up for me:

milpool.gif

Ryck

On May 21, 1864, the men of the Ninth Bearded Infantry were
sunning and fluffing their beards in the sun. Suddenly, enemy
troops crested that hill over there.
Man 1: Fort Springfield, we surrender unconditionally!
Man 2: We're sick. We need leeches and hacksaws to saw off our
gangrenous limbs!
Guide: But the Springfield Brigade was too brave to accept the
surrender.
Man 3: Come on, boys! Those white flags are no match for our muskets.
[they charge]
Guide: And the Springfielders heroically slaughtered their enemies as
they prayed for mercy.

fortSF.jpg

The children watching from the stands close by aren't from Springfield
Elementary; these latter children are behind a fence far away from the
battle scene.

Bart: It's hard to see what's going on; I can only make out the fat
soldiers.
Skinner: All right, children, switch.
[one of the soldiers spots the children]
Man 4: Hey, they're trying to learn for free!
Guide: [sees them] Get 'em!
Man 3: Use your phony guns as clubs!
Skinner: Run, children!
[they take off, followed by the soldiers]
Start the bus, Otto, start the bus!
[Otto, siphoning, swallows some gasoline by accident and
coughs]
Otto: Damn! I shouldn't have eaten the mint first.
[starts the bus]
OK, hop on!
[the children, for the most part, do so]
Uter: Wait, wait!
[he stumbles; the soldiers catch up and surround him]
Edna: Well, Seymour, because of your penny-pinching, we're coming
back from a field trip with the fewest children yet.
Skinner: God bless the man who invented permission slips.
[kisses an armful of them]

l_b5b9f2acfb341cd6d50d34e483af4fa5.jpg

l_801eff13a24a8bdee6e62ae18c76ae45.jpg

That whole episode, "The PTA Disbands" is great, I just watched it. Principal Skinner gives Otto the "credit card" to get gas. "Oh man, I shouldn't have eaten the mint first."

"Skinner says the teachers will crack any minute purple monkey dishwasher."

And whenever It's a Wonderful Life is on or other movie with Jimmy Stewart I think of the part at the bank.

Bart:"What do ya mean the bank is out of money?" "Insolvent?" "You only have cash for the next three customers?" Everyone rushes the teller and the Jimmy Stewart character comes out and says,"Now wait just a second, I don't have your money here, i-it's in Bill's House a-and Fred's House!"
Moe: "Hey what are you doing with my money in your house Fred?!"

"Talkin' out of turn, that's a paddlin'. Paddlin' the school canoe, you better believe that's a paddlin'."

AniHawk

cooltrainer said:
Everyone rushes the teller and the Jimmy Stewart character comes out and says,"Now wait just a second, I don't have your money here, i-it's in Bill's House a-and Fred's House!"

:lol :lol

I love just how quickly this guy makes the situation so much worse.

I love the backwards yelling of the guy jumping back up through the broken window.

Grug

Just watched 'Radio Bart'. Such an underrated episode.

"Convoy!!!!!" I love Santa's Little Helper in this scene.
2cq17rt.jpg

"Mmmmm... chocolate!"
289bw41.jpg

Doh! Marge, we need more chocolate, strawberry and vanilla ice-cream!
2hdtsuu.jpg

Homer freaking out and grabbing his shotgun is one of my favorite running gags in the show.
v620di.jpg

So many Coreys!
29lohgy.jpg

"Rod... Todd! This is God! Walk through the wall, I will remove it for you..."
x3wq43.jpg

"...later."
2ldx20k.jpg

"Grasping the child firmly in his talons, Socrates here will fly him to safety! Just watch."
6hlqaa.jpg

"I don't think he's coming back."
14idc1w.jpg

"And we're sending our love down the well..."
dow5lh.jpg

"Allllll the way downnnnn!"
2cdbq85.jpg

Dr Monroe: "The child is reverting to a feral, or 'wolf-like' state. Here is an artist's conception."
bjbiv8.jpg

AniHawk

I really love The Cartridge Family, but I never realized how much it fucks up the continuity. Homer already has a gun, and Marge used one when she was a police officer.

Still, fun episode.

Homer: Do you know how to cook?
Milhouse: Do I!? *opens cupboard and starts taking out all sorts of pots and pans*

-Winnie-

"Homer Goes to College" was on tonight. Every time I see this, I can't help but laugh aloud when Homer laughs at the professor dropping his notes. :lol

Marvie_3

Banned
AniHawk said:
but I never realized how much it fucks up the continuity. *
Same as the Simpsons flying to Washington D.C. for the Reading Digest essay contest finals in season 3, then Marge develops a fear of flying in season 7.

AniHawk

Marvie_3 said:
Same as the Simpsons flying to Washington D.C. for the Reading Digest essay contest finals in season 3, then Marge develops a fear of flying in season 7.

I knew there was something unsettling about that episode.

I think I like season 6 more than 7 now. There's a lot of season 7 that I love, but 6 is slightly better. Fear of Flying is one of my least favorite golden age episodes (Homerpalooza is the worst of the 2-7 bunch).

I miss Marge's fantasies. They were usually unexpected and funny.

Marge: I don't think she's as good-looking as Jack Nicklaus. *shot of Marge daydreaming about Jack Nicklaus putting a ball into the hole and bending over to pick it up while she hums to herself*

Marge: I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors... oh one more.
301zhxg.jpg

*six million dollar sound effect is faintly heard in the background*

And then there's this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP-TeMshOj0

Scum

I saw 'The Springfield Connection' that other day. Great fun!

Lenny: Hey, great news, guys: I picked up a nudie deck for our game.
Homer: [grabs it] "The Girls of the Internet"...ooh, I'd go on-line with them any day!

Homer: Boy, when Marge first told me she was going to the police academy, I thought it'd be fun and exciting, you know, like that movie, "Spaceballs". But instead it's been painful and disturbing like that movie "Police Academy".

legend166 said:
Homer Goes to College was on today.

I looooove the Dean in that episode. Just how accepts all the pranks as if he deserved them.
Well, I'm touched by your honesty. And, who knows, perhaps I've been a bit of an ogre myself.
- Yes you have.

AniHawk

No_Style said:
This may be a stupid question, but what happened to Itchy & Scratchy? Did they drop the skits or did they run out of ideas?

They've done them recently. They don't happen several times a season anymore, but they've been on as recently as s19.

Darko

Marge: I think you're a little young to solve an attempted murder... Why don't you solve the mystery of who put the mud in the freezer.
Bart: Who wants chocolate ice-cream?...
Homer: Ooh, Me!, Me!

Jasoco

Banned
CiSTM said:
Just catched Bart Star on tv. It had some few good jokes but not really that good of a epsiode.

24cxik3.png

we came 2000 miles for this?

EDIT: this was actually first time I noticed rest of the "alley gang" in the background and also all the team players from Arlen were drawn in style of KotH.
I always loved how accurate it was too. They look exactly like their counterparts. It's almost like they asked the animators for KotH to help out. And they even got the coloring right without accidentally ending up with Simpson Yellow skin. They look better than when other cartoons try to parody other cartoons. (Think South Park parodying Family Guy and Simpsons and Family Guy parodying South Park. Though I think they got Peter Griffin right in that Halloween episode where Homer clones himself.)

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Marvie_3 said:
bggrthnjsus said:
is it car hole or car hold? i always say it as hold, and it's kind of split between what my friends think it is
car hole
I still firmly believe it's hold.
Shit!

http://www.hulu.com/watch/21834/the-simpsons-the-car-hole

I always thought it was Car Hold! But I Googled and this link came up. It's Car Hole? I specifically hear a "d" sound at the end of his sentence. I swear it's Hold! It's Hold! Not Hole! Hulu you Bojo!

Also, I'm actually surprised Hulu just happened to have that exact scene.

ATF487 said:
I also speak in Simpsons quotes, but I need better friends; only my brother ever picks up on the references.
Whenever we have gravy, we always have to use the "it's just brown and water." line.

"GOOD GRAVY!"

seat

Jasoco said:
(Think South Park parodying Family Guy and Simpsons and Family Guy parodying South Park. Though I think they got Peter Griffin right in that Halloween episode where Homer clones himself.)
?

Scum said:
Homer: Boy, when Marge first told me she was going to the police academy, I thought it'd be fun and exciting, you know, like that movie, "Spaceballs". But instead it's been painful and disturbing like that movie "Police Academy".

one of the writers must hate police academy. from 'Marge Be Not Proud.'

Homer: We live in a society of laws. Why do you think I took you to all those Police Academy movies? For fun? Well I didn't hear anybody laughing, did you? Except at that guy who made sound effects.

Alex

BobbyRobby said:
one of the writers must hate police academy. from 'Marge Be Not Proud.'

Homer: We live in a society of laws. Why do you think I took you to all those Police Academy movies? For fun? Well I didn't hear anybody laughing, did you? Except at that guy who made sound effects.

That episode has so many good elements and parts to it, its simply one of the best.

But it def has my favorite reveal:

Homer laying in bed and sternly outlining Bart's punishment to Marge with his reading glasses on and a pen/pad of paper just to have the camera pan around and show rather than writing down the discipline plan for Bart he drew a robot cooking hotdogs :lol

Homer: I've figured out the boy's punishment. First, he's grounded. No
leaving the house, not even for school. Second, no egg nog. In
fact, no nog, period. And third, absolutely no stealing for
three months.

1zyin2o.jpg

vr6gwm.jpg

AniHawk

Marvie_3 said:
Well said.

It did, however, have one great laugh-out-loud scene with Homer approaching the guys rocking out, waving with his fingers, and then appearing way the fuck back over at where he started. So I can't hate it too much.

It's also got a couple of quotable lines.

"Oh, here's that cannonball guy. He's COOL."
"Dude, are you like, being sarcastic?"
"I don't even know anymore."

A pain I know all too well.

AniHawk said:
It did, however, have one great laugh-out-loud scene with Homer approaching the guys rocking out, waving with his fingers, and then appearing way the fuck back over at where he started. So I can't hate it too much.

It's also got a couple of quotable lines.

"Oh, here's that cannonball guy. He's COOL."
"Dude, are you like, being sarcastic?"
"I don't even know anymore."

A pain I know all too well.
The episode has very funny gags and lines. It fits in the classic seasons when you judge it by those alone. However, the "feel" of the episode is different, and reminds me of the post-classic seasons. It relies too much on pop culture and guest stars or something. And it's always risky to let the episode take place outside of Springfield. From the third minute on none of the Springfield residents get airtime, it's all rock stars.

It's hard to explain exactly what feels "off" with the episode, but fact of the matter is that it indeed is one of the -if not the- shittiest episode during the classic seasons.

AniHawk

Souldriver said:
The episode has very funny gags and lines. It fits in the classic seasons when you judge it by those alone. However, the "feel" of the episode is different, and reminds me of the post-classic seasons. It relies too much on pop culture and guest stars or something. And it's always risky to let the episode take place outside of Springfield. From the third minute on none of the Springfield residents get airtime, it's all rock stars.

It's hard to explain exactly what feels "off" with the episode, but fact of the matter is that it indeed is one of the -if not the- shittiest episode during the classic seasons.

Everything feels forced. Listening to the commentary, the writers were embarrassed by the episode, particularly shoehorning in the "Bart's hero is his dad" subplot and Rover Hendrix.

UltimaPooh said:
None of you liked the cool conversation at the end of that episode?

I thought it was a good one.
I posted that conversation here earlier in the thread. It's an awesome exchange.

Souldriver said:
Homer: So, I realized that being with my family is more important than being cool.
Bart: Dad, what you just said was powerfully uncool.
Homer: You know what the song says: "It's hip to be square".
Lisa: That song is so lame.
Homer: So lame that it's... cool?
Bart+Lisa: No.
Marge: Am I cool, kids?
Marge: Good. I'm glad. And that's what makes me cool, not caring, right?
Marge: Well, how the hell do you be cool? I feel like we've tried everything here.
Homer: Wait, Marge. Maybe if you're truly cool, you don't need to be told you're cool.
Bart: Well, sure you do.
Lisa: How else would you know?

I also enjoy this string of lines.

Mr. Largo: And if we have an encore we will reprise "Pop Goes the Weasel"
(Lisa watches outside with Grounds Keeper Willy and Nelson)
Willy: Okay now grab the hoose
Nelson: The Moose?
Willy: No boy, the hoose, the hoose
Nelson: Is this right?
(Nelson begins to spray Willy with the hose)
Willy: Ahhh ahhh turn of the noozle!
Nelson: Noodles what noodles?
Willy No the noozle at the end of the hoose
(Lisa laughs)
Mr. Largo: Lisa Simpson, is there something funny about the word tromboner?
Lisa: No, I was just laughing at something outside
Sherri: She was looking at Nelson
Class: Lisa likes Nelson
Milhouse: She does not
Class: Milhouse likes Lisa
Jannie He does not
Class: Jannie likes Milhouse
Mr. Largo: Nobody likes Milhouse!

Souldriver said:
I posted that conversation here earlier in the thread. It's an awesome exchange.

I still love Homerpalooza. Lots of great stuff in it. Homer's musical tastes, Marge's "Music is none of my business", "Where's the narc," the Clear Channel gag, and of course...

"Dad, wearing that hat makes a bold statement about your commitment to Reggae culture."
"Well exCUSE ME!"

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku! said:
2h5qoa1.gif

MENDOZAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ccoey: Damn, damn, damn, damn.....McBain...?
McBain: Yes?
Scoey: I'm not gonna make it.
McBain: Oh, stop talking crazy.
Scoey: N'ah, n'ah....just do one thing for me...get....Mendoza.
McBain: MENDOZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

Maxirugi

UltimaPooh said:
I also enjoy this string of lines.

Mr. Largo: And if we have an encore we will reprise "Pop Goes the Weasel"
(Lisa watches outside with Grounds Keeper Willy and Nelson)
Willy: Okay now grab the hoose
Nelson: The Moose?
Willy: No boy, the hoose, the hoose
Nelson: Is this right?
(Nelson begins to spray Willy with the hose)
Willy: Ahhh ahhh turn of the noozle!
Nelson: Noodles what noodles?
Willy No the noozle at the end of the hoose
(Lisa laughs)
Mr. Largo: Lisa Simpson, is there something funny about the word tromboner?
Lisa: No, I was just laughing at something outside
Sherri: She was looking at Nelson
Class: Lisa likes Nelson
Milhouse: She does not
Class: Milhouse likes Lisa
Jannie He does not
Class: Jannie likes Milhouse
Uter: She does not!
Class: Uter likes Milhouse.

Mr. Largo: Nobody likes Milhouse!

Fixed

Grug

Marvie_3 said:

Not to mention Marge's dad being revealed as flight attendant despite Marge saying in "Bart The Lover" that her dad was originally in the Navy and then became a baby photographer.

I'm remembering a scene but I can't place it in an episode. It may actually be something from season 9-12. I think it's in a classroom, and a teacher says "pop quiz!" or something similar, and all of the students are groaning and complaining but Lisa sits with a content smile. It wasn't a big joke and they didn't focus on Lisa, it was just a cute detail that you would notice if you were looking at her. They've probably done this a few times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom